Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnaiur
Jan 14, 2013
Hm, that's bad news. ESO is in the same league, XP from killing mobs is almost non-existant from level 5 and onwards.

Don't understand it either. It would offer an alternative to quest collecting, without adding a lot of extra development resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Grinding mobs is a thing in Wildstar.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Cnaiur posted:

The only thing I'd like to know - and 10 years ago I'd laugh at myself for wanting this - : is it possible to just grind mobs for a couple of hours? I also hate nowadays question mark / waypoint quest hunting. Sometimes when I can't fully focus on a game I just want to mindlessly grind a specific spot and get semi-decent XP/materials as a reward. Did this in ye olde MMO's and it was still viable in Vanilla WoW, but nowadays questing is the only viable way to gather XP in most MMO's.

How's Wildstar doing on this end?

From what the press streams have shown, you can certainly do it. There are plenty of things to kill, and in some areas there are little challenges attached to it (kill X amount in 5 minutes to get a small bonus, like some potions).

As to whether you are better of following the quests, I think it seems probable. It appeared that quest XP was a significant portion of your gains, and roaming around after the markers would also lead you to new path content, which adds to your skills (though maybe not combat skills... the streams I watched didn't get much into that part of it).

Drops, both in terms of gear, mats and the occasional extra like some furniture, seemed pretty decent. You still have a main quest line to follow, and from what I could tell you had to complete at least that to move on to the next area.

So just grinding is doable, but also something of a self-imposed challenge. For one you miss out on the quest reward gear.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Deki posted:

Yes.

God no, where did you hear this?

I think it was an article on massively. He was talking about having to move around while holding down an ability key. 5 is probably an exaggeration but number + rmb + direction still seems a bit awkward.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Add me to the list of people who hate NPCs with exclamation marks ordering you where to go and what specific bear to kill, instead of just exploring and hunting cool looking mobs by yourself / a party wherever you like. I'd like quests to be long and difficult epics instead of these bear-assathons. Good to hear that "questing" as it is today isn't the only option (although I'd guess you want some quest reward gear at times.)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

rainy day posted:

I think it was an article on massively. He was talking about having to move around while holding down an ability key. 5 is probably an exaggeration but number + rmb + direction still seems a bit awkward.

That was referring to the fact that you can hold down the key for a spammable ability instead of mashing it. Also some abilities can be charged up while moving. It can be a little awkward, and during stress test I rebound my main builder to a side button on my mouse.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I just got a stress test invite for this weekend, but don't have a lot of time or bandwidth. I've been dying to try this game forever though. I'm assuming stress weekends are just a big hot mess? Also, how big is the client download?

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Rasmussen posted:

I just got a stress test invite for this weekend, but don't have a lot of time or bandwidth. I've been dying to try this game forever though. I'm assuming stress weekends are just a big hot mess? Also, how big is the client download?

I just got one of them too but it doesn't have a key with it. Just says "Paste in this serial key: {$serialkey}". Way to tease Carbine. :(

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
http://support.wildstar-online.com/entries/40514218-Why-does-this-stress-test-email-have-no-key-

For those that got a stress test email recently without a key. My key was missing too and I knowledge base'd it so here you can be lazy.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Agraya posted:

http://support.wildstar-online.com/entries/40514218-Why-does-this-stress-test-email-have-no-key-

For those that got a stress test email recently without a key. My key was missing too and I knowledge base'd it so here you can be lazy.

This is exactly what I came here to check, thanks for the link. I was really excited, then really disappointed, and now I'm excited again to check it out.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks! Now I just have to wait for my NCSoft password to reset since I have no idea what it is and from what I remember this never works.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I, too, just got the {$serialkey}. The test begins on Valentines day, as if they knew I'd have no plans what so ever. :smith:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I got an email invite to the stress test! Lemme just grab that key.....

quote:

Paste in this serial key: {$serialkey}

poo poo.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Otacon posted:

I got an email invite to the stress test! Lemme just grab that key.....

poo poo.

Look up for the fix it link.

The stress tests are pretty stable though, so don't worry about not getting to play.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Loose Ifer posted:

Look up for the fix it link.

The stress tests are pretty stable though, so don't worry about not getting to play.

Literally as soon as I posted, they resent an email with an actual key. All gravy here.

Seriously cannot wait. Been watching this thread for like 3 months now. Woooooo

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
From the looks of it a lot of new people got keys for this latest test? Sounds like they want to hammer the servers a bit more.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Dropbear posted:

Add me to the list of people who hate NPCs with exclamation marks ordering you where to go and what specific bear to kill, instead of just exploring and hunting cool looking mobs by yourself / a party wherever you like. I'd like quests to be long and difficult epics instead of these bear-assathons. Good to hear that "questing" as it is today isn't the only option (although I'd guess you want some quest reward gear at times.)

Questing with exclamation points isn't the only option, but it basically is.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I would probably strangle a person for a beta key at this point. The current mmos are just :smithicide:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I think normal beta testers who participate in stress tests get a friend key to distribute, so there's that to look forward to.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

You're right. My PM box is always open beta brothers, I will never break your trust or your NDA

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

I would probably strangle a person for a beta key at this point. The current mmos are just :smithicide:

I don't know why you think Wildstar is going to be substantially different.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

If anything, it's an all out regression. It does it very well though.

Tom Ford
Feb 9, 2012

Got a beta code today. Having some trouble with the install. Anyone else with this problem? It always fails at roughly the same point (43XX kb).

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Tom Ford posted:

Got a beta code today. Having some trouble with the install. Anyone else with this problem? It always fails at roughly the same point (43XX kb).

Hard drive full? If not check the beta forums. They're really quick about responding.

Tom Ford
Feb 9, 2012

Loose Ifer posted:

Hard drive full? If not check the beta forums. They're really quick about responding.

I'm dumb. Run As Administrator fixed it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Anyone got an invite? Willing to trade one of my Landmark beta keys for one.

alexanderdelarge@outlook.com

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

I didn't say I thought it was going to be substantially different, I only hope that it will be better than most of the stuff out right now.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Begging thread is that a-way.

Wildstar isn't an all-out regression; there're a lot of things they substantially improve upon. Like everything, though, it's 3 steps forward 2 steps back.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

If you want a key quote this post with your email because I am too cheap to buy PMs.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 11, 2014

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

That is half of the reason I have a decent amount of hope for WS. It has an established pedigree with it's developers along with not being afraid of trying new things like Warplots which I would happly by the game for even if it was the only drat thing there. To be honest, I don't WANT an MMO that reinvents the wheel. I am quite happy with something WoW-like that is modernized, with a new setting and doesn't treat PvP like a complete afterthought. So far, WS seems to be ticking all them boxes.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. Which I could see for myself. You know, if I could get a drat beta key... :argh:

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Phoix posted:

If you want a key quote this post with your email because I am too cheap to buy PMs.

s_macey80@gmail.com

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.
Does a Dominion side guild exist yet? Just got full beta today and I have no intention of playing anything but a Chua.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Gmail says this doesn't exist.

godzilla hentai
Sep 6, 2010
Uuuuuugh, I'll never get into this beta

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Phoix posted:

Gmail says this doesn't exist.

Eh? It should. How about iiishadowmystiii@gmail.com ?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Calihan posted:

Eh? It should. How about iiishadowmystiii@gmail.com ?

Sent.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Wow thanks a ton, man.

Edit: Never mind, you answered my question in email. Thanks again!

Calihan fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 11, 2014

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

RiffRoff posted:

Does a Dominion side guild exist yet? Just got full beta today and I have no intention of playing anything but a Chua.

Not yet, but you're not the first person to ask. One of you dirty dommie bastards should start one.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
First person to PM gets my stress test key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnaiur
Jan 14, 2013
Only to find out that I can't send PM's.

Life is cruel.

• Locked thread