Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Combat Shields and Devil's Playground because Reapers are goddamn amazing in a lot of these early missions (I honestly think they're better than Hellions in Outbreak for one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That's because they are, Reapers are very very good at taking down buildings, especially when massed, and anything that spawns dies because they attack almost as fast as marines do.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Take Combat shields, and go play in the devil's playground

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Are you guys open to user submitted challenges maybe? I know there's a few maps that even on Brutal aren't difficult, so, might be fun?

Like, using or not using certain units, and stuff.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Not gonna lie, I feel like we're just gonna end up metagaming the hell out of the upgrades... but shields should be worn by all marines.

Also, on the Kerrigan/Mengsk relationship, one contributing factor to Mengsks hatred of the Queen is the fact that Kerrigan was one of the three ghosts that killed off the Mengsk family.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

Penakoto posted:

Are you guys open to user submitted challenges maybe? I know there's a few maps that even on Brutal aren't difficult, so, might be fun?

Like, using or not using certain units, and stuff.

It's hard to say, as I feel that adding arbitrary restrictions may feel really unnatural. I'm going to want to try to show off as much as I can, both the levels and units you can use. If you think there are challenges that will improve the viewing experience, I'm all ears.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calax posted:

Not gonna lie, I feel like we're just gonna end up metagaming the hell out of the upgrades... but shields should be worn by all marines.

I don't think it will end up being metagaming so much as many campaign-only units just not being very good. Firebats are a good example. Sure, they're tanky for infantry and clean out zerglings and zealots effectively. Their upgrades make them more so at both. Thing is, though, there's no shortage of units good at massacring zerglings and zealots, and two of them are available on missions we have access to right now. Said units are also much faster than firebats and have longer range. And while tanky infantry are kind of good, medics go a long way towards making more fragile and powerful infantry units last longer. Firebats are further hampered by having the shortest range of any unit in the Terran lineup.

So yes, you can use firebats if you want to and upgrade them to make them better. But you could also use and upgrade hellions or marauders instead, which are the superior choices in most respects. Even then, you usually only need one of the two.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Wow. I hadn't realised just how much the Firebats were a rip off of "inspired by" 40K Terminator armour. Being armed with Perdition flamethrowers just rubs it in that little bit more.

I have a question about Gabriel Tosh: if he's a selectable unit, how many of his quotes are about him really being a troll in disguise?

As for voting, much as I'd like to see the firebats upgraded I suspect that their usefulness will be quickly eclipsed by bigger and shinier units. So let's just get Combat Shields. I also think it's about time we saw some Protoss, so I'm voting we do Smash and Grab.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Incinerator gauntlets, Devil's playground

Don't make this M&M like every brood war multiplayer game ever from 10 years ago or MM&M like every early SC2 match, mix it up :colbert:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Cythereal posted:

I don't think it will end up being metagaming so much as many campaign-only units just not being very good. Firebats are a good example. Sure, they're tanky for infantry and clean out zerglings and zealots effectively. Their upgrades make them more so at both. Thing is, though, there's no shortage of units good at massacring zerglings and zealots, and two of them are available on missions we have access to right now. Said units are also much faster than firebats and have longer range. And while tanky infantry are kind of good, medics go a long way towards making more fragile and powerful infantry units last longer. Firebats are further hampered by having the shortest range of any unit in the Terran lineup.

So yes, you can use firebats if you want to and upgrade them to make them better. But you could also use and upgrade hellions or marauders instead, which are the superior choices in most respects. Even then, you usually only need one of the two.

Hellions are great if you go mechs, but they're not as good as bats if you're going to push a medic or a marauder out of your barracks

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Voting for Stabilizer Medpacks for the upgrade, and The Devil's Playground as the mission.

And now we've met yet another "character from the Starcraft EU making his/her/its game debut", Gabriel Tosh. Tosh hails from one of Blizzard's more notable abandoned experiments, Starcraft: Ghost. Sadly, this game does as much as it can to sweep SC:G under the rug and out of sight, so don't expect much from Tosh in terms of a detailed backstory. We do get one....it's just got some big holes in it because those holes all connect back to SC:G.

Volty
Jul 25, 2013
Advanced Medical Facilities, Incinerator Gauntlets, Smash and Grab.

We just got these neat Firebug Mercs, might as well suit them up. Other two because they are the most interesting options.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Volty posted:

Advanced Medical Facilities, Incinerator Gauntlets, Smash and Grab.

We just got these neat Firebug Mercs, might as well suit them up. Other two because they are the most interesting options.

Having never really used mercs, I just thought of something. Are they like the hero units of old where they come kitted with all the upgrades, do they receive the upgrades you've purchased, or are they entirely separate from the upgrades of the unit line they're based off of?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Having never really used mercs, I just thought of something. Are they like the hero units of old where they come kitted with all the upgrades, do they receive the upgrades you've purchased, or are they entirely separate from the upgrades of the unit line they're based off of?

I'm pretty sure they effectively come with all the upgrades, as well as having higher stats overall. For example I'm pretty sure the War Pigs have combat shields whether or not you have that upgrade.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Raldan posted:

It's hard to say, as I feel that adding arbitrary restrictions may feel really unnatural. I'm going to want to try to show off as much as I can, both the levels and units you can use. If you think there are challenges that will improve the viewing experience, I'm all ears.

I had an idea for one, but it'd require having a certain unit available that might not be, depending on the votes.

I dunno, if you think it wouldn't work, that's alright.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AradoBalanga posted:

Voting for Stabilizer Medpacks for the upgrade, and The Devil's Playground as the mission.

And now we've met yet another "character from the Starcraft EU making his/her/its game debut", Gabriel Tosh. Tosh hails from one of Blizzard's more notable abandoned experiments, Starcraft: Ghost. Sadly, this game does as much as it can to sweep SC:G under the rug and out of sight, so don't expect much from Tosh in terms of a detailed backstory. We do get one....it's just got some big holes in it because those holes all connect back to SC:G.

I wondered if this game would acknowledge SC:G in any way. Man, that was one of those projects I always wished Blizzard would have delivered on back in the day because I loved Starcraft and getting to explore it in a first-person setting would have been really cool but OH WELL.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Mercenaries actually do benefit from armory upgrades. So War Pigs won't have stimpacks until you buy them, and get 10 additional HP from the combat shields.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I wondered if this game would acknowledge SC:G in any way. Man, that was one of those projects I always wished Blizzard would have delivered on back in the day because I loved Starcraft and getting to explore it in a first-person setting would have been really cool but OH WELL.

It's characters are in this, even if the game itself has vanished.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, as Feinne mentioned, Tosh and Ghost's lead character Nova do appear in this game. Sadly, Nova's own commander that she has a good friendship with, Colonel Jackson Hauler, does not appear. Actually, come to think of it, aside from Edmund Duke and Mengsk, we have never really met any of the commanders of the Terran Squadrons that were listed in SC1's manual. SC:G would have been Hauler's big debut, but alas, that didn't happen.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ghost actually became a mini-franchise all on its own from what I've seen. There's a book series and a few comics and other bits and pieces. Not bad for a game that was never released.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Do monlyth next. heavy infantry all the way.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Smash and Grab to see some Protoss in action.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I remember I almost preordered Ghost for the Gamecube.

Man, I was so excited for that game, thought it'd be like a 3rd person Command and Conquer: Renegade.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Penakoto posted:

I remember I almost preordered Ghost for the Gamecube.

Man, I was so excited for that game, thought it'd be like a 3rd person Command and Conquer: Renegade.

My favorite Ghost anecdote:

I was friends with some people working on a total conversion for Unreal Tournament, based on StarCraft.

After they had gotten a good quarter of the way through development, Blizzard sent them a C&D order.

A few months later, Blizzard announced Ghost.

Then Ghost died, and I still haven't been able to shoot mans myself. :negative:

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, as Feinne mentioned, Tosh and Ghost's lead character Nova do appear in this game. Sadly, Nova's own commander that she has a good friendship with, Colonel Jackson Hauler, does not appear. Actually, come to think of it, aside from Edmund Duke and Mengsk, we have never really met any of the commanders of the Terran Squadrons that were listed in SC1's manual. SC:G would have been Hauler's big debut, but alas, that didn't happen.

Horace Warfield, new commander of the Dominion military, was originally a character from StarCraft: Ghost, too! :eng101:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Synastren posted:

My favorite Ghost anecdote:

I was friends with some people working on a total conversion for Unreal Tournament, based on StarCraft.

After they had gotten a good quarter of the way through development, Blizzard sent them a C&D order.

A few months later, Blizzard announced Ghost.

Then Ghost died, and I still haven't been able to shoot mans myself. :negative:

There was once a Neverwinter Nights mod hosted for only 2 days, #1 mod at the time. A purportedly well-polished mod based on Star Wars with new Sound FX, voice overs, new tiles, the whole nine. This was about a year before KOTOR was even announced.

Then Bioware sent them a C&D and threatened legal action against anyone hosting it. It disappeared and a lot of people didn't get to see it. Don't know if anything's happened with it nowadays...but yeah.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Lunethex posted:

There was once a Neverwinter Nights mod hosted for only 2 days, #1 mod at the time. A purportedly well-polished mod based on Star Wars with new Sound FX, voice overs, new tiles, the whole nine. This was about a year before KOTOR was even announced.

Then Bioware sent them a C&D and threatened legal action against anyone hosting it. It disappeared and a lot of people didn't get to see it. Don't know if anything's happened with it nowadays...but yeah.

Counterpoint: KOTOR was incredible, and KOTOR2 was a relatively solid game. Knights was even halfway decent for an MMO, just not great.

Ghost never happened, and there has never been a StarCraft action game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Well, I was actually really big into the NWN modding community when all that stuff went down, and I remember a big hubbub about a quashed mod like that, but I seriously doubt it had everything they claim it did. On many fronts, particularly the modeling fronts, the early Aurora engines were only marginally less work than writing your own stuff from scratch. For someone to have the whole nine on a first release was unheard of, particularly with nobody else in the community really knowing what was up and not seeing any modder resources show up in a vacuum either before or after. Tile sets, portraits, weapon model replacements, etc.

I wouldn't doubt that some stuff happened, and I wouldn't doubt that someone got kiboshed by Bioware, but I think it's much more likely that it was an overreaction to a weekend of work rather than someone legitimately putting out a good product that Bioware was worried about.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Synastren posted:

Horace Warfield, new commander of the Dominion military, was originally a character from StarCraft: Ghost, too! :eng101:
I did not know that. :aaa:

That just makes Hauler's exclusion (both here and in Heart of the Swarm) even stranger.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Eh, I don't know what adding another effectively 'new' character would have done. He could have taken Warfield's role I guess but Warfield fits his purpose in the story pretty drat well.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Stabilizer Medpacks, and Smash & Grab.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'll nth Stabilizer Medpacks and Smash & Grab.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Synastren posted:

The least creative last name ever, considering his job. We might as well rename Jim Raynor Hiro Protagonist and Matt Horner to Squarejaw McSecondaryCharacter.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

The least creative last name ever, considering his job. We might as well rename Jim Raynor Hiro Protagonist and Matt Horner to Squarejaw McSecondaryCharacter.

How about Hiro Miyamoto, with his sidekick Superfly Johnson?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Even Starcraft 2 isn't Daikatana bad.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah, silly dumb Blizzard plots are bad but let's not say things we can't take back.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Feinne posted:

Yeah, silly dumb Blizzard plots are bad but let's not say things we can't take back.

I'll take Daikatana plot over heart of the swarm plot any day. :colbert:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Iretep posted:

I'll take Daikatana plot over heart of the swarm plot any day. :colbert:

Careful, this might very well lead into a discussion on serious spoiler territory.

If you would like to discuss the relative merits of the Heart of the Swarm campaign, or plot points we haven't covered in Wings of Liberty yet, I encourage you to head over to the HotS Spoiler Thread.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Wait, wait. Daikatana had a PLOT?

I must've missed that in between all the rest of the awfulness that it was.

Also, we've already met the worst written character in SC2.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Honestly Heart of the Swarm has exactly as much plot as it needs to feebly justify the awesome poo poo they came up with for missions. If you're not willing to put up with some Blizzard plot to heap mounds of corpses at Kerrigan's feet then you're just clearly no true Zerg fan and Heart was never going to be for you.

Also, if the plot was better you couldn't play the Essence drinking game (which I cannot suggest despite it substantially improving the plot due to the risk of severe liver damage and alcohol poisoning).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Guys, the OP says no spoilers for stuff we haven't gotten to, but this thread is just packed with cute allusions to future events that people who haven't played the game might still figure out, and a few outright spoilers as to content from Heart of the Swarm. I for one would appreciate it if people throttled back on that.

• Locked thread