Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Does anyone know what the gently caress you call half popped corn kernel snacks? I used to buy them in bulk from my local hippie store but they stopped having them and the big mainstream wholefoods type place also recently either doesn't have them or charges outrageous amounts for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Folderol posted:

- The razors are cheaper
- They do not cut the hair beneath the skin, which helps with ingrowns
- It's easier to use hot lather

- The difference is trivial unless you are super poor.
- I disagree that this is true and contend it takes longer with a DE to get a smooth shave without nicking
- Who cares? A decent lotion or moisturizer works just fine. If you really care wet your face with hot water before applying.

This is wildly dumb.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Does anyone know what the gently caress you call half popped corn kernel snacks? I used to buy them in bulk from my local hippie store but they stopped having them and the big mainstream wholefoods type place also recently either doesn't have them or charges outrageous amounts for them.

This?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

bunnielab posted:

This is wildly dumb.

At last we agree!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Folderol posted:

At last we agree!

I'll PM you a link to my etsy page where I am selling some really nice sharpened oyster-shells. They are cheap and green!

;)

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, obsessing over an obsolete piece of tech and framing it as anything other then nostalgia is pretty reasonable.

Can anyone recommend a good slide-rule or mimeograph machine?

Its difficult to buy the "razors are cheaper" argument when this thread is full of pictures of expensive brushes, soaps, lather and razor holding things that I bet when tallied up, are more expensive.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

e: nvm

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Shut the hell up about your opinions on razors as it has no bearing on the topic at hand, that ship sailed 3 pages ago

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I figured it was an argument about something when I saw a big spike in unread posts. Too bad it's about razors and I'm asian

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Zahi posted:

Its difficult to buy the "razors are cheaper" argument when this thread is full of pictures of expensive brushes, soaps, lather and razor holding things that I bet when tallied up, are more expensive.

Great thing about Britain is that a decent safety razor is a fiver, excellent soap is about 50p a stick, good blades can be for for 20p each and a very useable brush is about 4 quid. All available from most supermarkets. Same by in as a Mach 3 and can of gel near as drat it but much longer lasting.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not to pound this shaving thing into the ground but I've been using dollarshaveclub.com for 2 years and it's been fantastic. It works out to about 1 new blade a week for $7 a month. Since I started growing a beard I have a surplus of them so my Girlfriend has been using them to shave her legs. They sent me another handle for $5 when I asked.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

EdBlackadder posted:

Great thing about Britain is that a decent safety razor is a fiver, excellent soap is about 50p a stick, good blades can be for for 20p each and a very useable brush is about 4 quid. All available from most supermarkets. Same by in as a Mach 3 and can of gel near as drat it but much longer lasting.

Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Recommendations for a bike trainer? Preferably one where it is relatively easy to drop my road bike in and start riding without much set up. Is there a thread in YLLS that I should be looking at instead? Also, I don't need the best, just average.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

bunnielab posted:

wiping your rear end or clipping your toenails.

I'd like to take a minute to endorse these flushable wipes, which used after TP basically make your anus feel like a million bucks.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Gyshall posted:

I'd like to take a minute to endorse these flushable wipes, which used after TP basically make your anus feel like a million bucks.

True, but also have a weird powdered rear end smell to them. Prefer these:

http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Natural...scotts+naturals

As for shaving, I got a safety razor, blades, mug, and badger brush for Christmas a couple years back. poo poo chewed up my neck something awful and took up too much counter space. Mach 3's are the best I've used. The 4-5 blade things that came out afterward are silly and/or unweildly.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

The reviews are either "Glorious Contonelle is the savior of my butthole!" or "Cast these into the fiery depths of hell, my anus is bleeding".

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

m.hache posted:

The reviews are either "Glorious Contonelle is the savior of my butthole!" or "Cast these into the fiery depths of hell, my anus is bleeding".

Human condition summed up itt.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Premoistened with aloe and vitamin E.

Hell yeah.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ICE UP SON posted:

Premoistened with aloe and vitamin E.

Hell yeah.

My anus is so clean, you could eat off it.

The.Big.Dirty.Emu
May 2, 2009
Can anyone recommend a high quality security pass reel, something like

preferably with a wire instead of a cord/string. I go through about 4 of the cheap ones a year when the strings eventually snap.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The.Big.Dirty.Emu posted:

Sadly even the small one is kinda big but they are very rugged, at-least the medium one I used to have was.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

The.Big.Dirty.Emu posted:

preferably with a wire instead of a cord/string. I go through about 4 of the cheap ones a year when the strings eventually snap.

Home Depot sells a good one for $3 or so next to the keys. I use mine heavy and it's just like new though it's a year old.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Bunk Rogers posted:

Home Depot sells a good one for $3 or so next to the keys. I use mine heavy and it's just like new though it's a year old.

Key-bak sells them online if you are lazy

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

1redflag posted:

Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Recommendations for a bike trainer? Preferably one where it is relatively easy to drop my road bike in and start riding without much set up. Is there a thread in YLLS that I should be looking at instead? Also, I don't need the best, just average.

I've been a fan of the CycleOps Fluid 2 Indoor Bicycle Trainer for a few years now. The only complaint is that you can wear the tread down on your tire quicker than on the road and it can take a while to get it setup, but is just a few seconds after that.

You may also want to get a stand for keeping stuff like a book/tablet/remote control while you ride.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's cold as hell here, and I just lost my winter gloves. Can anyone recommend a good, sturdy pair of winter gloves that aren't too bulky? I need something that has a "grippy" palm for when I'm commuting. I wanted to get these ones but they're sold out until May.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

melon cat posted:

It's cold as hell here, and I just lost my winter gloves. Can anyone recommend a good, sturdy pair of winter gloves that aren't too bulky? I need something that has a "grippy" palm for when I'm commuting. I wanted to get these ones but they're sold out until May.

I have these:

http://www.amazon.com/The-North-Face-Powerstretch-Glove/dp/B000ME7D3Q/ref=pd_sim_a_3

they are fairly warm, but not made for spending a whole day outside throwing snowballs or anything. Mine were around $50 so they aren't cheap, but they're definitely warm enough for how thin they are.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

melon cat posted:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens-gripper-gloves.html

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Can anyone recommend a good nose hair trimmer? I'm only 25 but I seem to have a lot of nose hair.

Also, in a rare DOUBLE WHAMMY request, can anyone suggest a good pair of winter boots? Kind of late into the season, but I should really get some boots. My commute involves about 10 minutes of walking between the train subway station and my work/home. It'd be nice if they also looked good/decent for a business casual environment and also doubled for rain during the other seasons.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Can anyone recommend a good nose hair trimmer? I'm only 25 but I seem to have a lot of nose hair.

Also, in a rare DOUBLE WHAMMY request, can anyone suggest a good pair of winter boots? Kind of late into the season, but I should really get some boots. My commute involves about 10 minutes of walking between the train subway station and my work/home. It'd be nice if they also looked good/decent for a business casual environment and also doubled for rain during the other seasons.

Have you considered overshoes for your dress shoes? I have these to put over my AE's or whatever when it's especially lovely outside with snow/slush.

http://www.swims.com/MEN/Galoshes.aspx

http://www.swims.com/MEN/Galoshes/tabid/133/ProductID/14/Default.aspx

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

+

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Can anyone give a rundown on high threadcount cotton sheets? I search on Amazon and it seems like every single listing for 600+ TC sheets are bullshit sateen/polyester stuff. 1500 Threadcount Egyptian Cotton sheet sets for $22, my rear end.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Can anyone give a rundown on high threadcount cotton sheets? I search on Amazon and it seems like every single listing for 600+ TC sheets are bullshit sateen/polyester stuff. 1500 Threadcount Egyptian Cotton sheet sets for $22, my rear end.

http://www.truthaboutthreadcount.com/what-is-thread-count.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

There's a version of those little cuticle scissors specifically meant for nose hair trimming. They have tiny round bits on the tip that allow you to poke and prod without constantly stabbing the interior of your nose.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/Nose...=00670535840053

Ignore the $20 tag on those. You can get them as part of a $10 mini-travelers kit at Target and such.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

See also: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sheets-new/

(thread count is mostly bullshit marketing)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
One of my snow shovels broke, any suggestions to replace it?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I need some new shoe insoles for my camp moccasins. Any good recommendations? I don't need crazy support or gel or poo poo like that, just something to put in place of the old ones (that fell out)

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

PhazonLink posted:

One of my snow shovels broke, any suggestions to replace it?

This might be useful for you.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Any recommendations for a bluetooth mouse and numpad?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm looking for a good pair of "work" boots. I have a film shoot starting Friday-Tuesday and it will most like have rained/be raining and be muddy. I lack the proper boots for outdoor muddy weather!

Preferably under $100 and something that I can go get at Dick's or Academy so I can try them on (although push comes to shove and I can overnight from Amazon). My biggest worry is that I'll have no time to break them in, so anything that will help in that regards is good too.

I know $100 isn't that much, but these will likely only be worn a few times a year, so I can probably err on the cheap side a little.

BonoMan has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Feb 18, 2014

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

BonoMan posted:

I'm looking for a good pair of "work" boots. I have a film shoot starting Friday-Tuesday and it will most like have rained/be raining and be muddy. I lack the proper boots for outdoor muddy weather!

Preferably under $100 and something that I can go get at Dick's or Academy so I can try them on (although push comes to shove and I can overnight from Amazon). My biggest worry is that I'll have no time to break them in, so anything that will help in that regards is good too.

I know $100 isn't that much, but these will likely only be worn a few times a year, so I can probably err on the cheap side a little.

I'm guessing you don't just want a pair of cheap rubber boots/galoshes?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Robawesome posted:

I'm guessing you don't just want a pair of cheap rubber boots/galoshes?

Eh, it's cold and I'll be running around all day so I prefer something a bit more form fitting and insulated.

I ended up just going with a pair of cheapies from Wal-Mart. They had a $50 pair on sale for $15 so they'll do for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend a water filter? I had been using the Brita gallon tank for a long time but last night it fell and broke. I guess I could go for a smaller fridge unit since it'll be easier to move when full, or even one of those Pur units you screw on to the sink.

• Locked thread