Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

Who was the old guy the bald quartermaster was trying to get a ship from?

It is a fun show though.

Benjamin Hornigold and when the Quartermaster asked about Edinburgh, Hornigold was talking about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobite_Rising_of_1715 which is a nice touch .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

etalian posted:

It's also not shy up delivering a double helping of boobs and violence.

It does lack in the penis department though. Bit of a double standard compared to spartacus. :colbert:

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

BlackJosh posted:

Jack Rackham might be my favorite character on the show. Both him and and the guy who plays Vane really seem to capture at least the myths that surround these two guys very well.

Seconding this. He's just so wonderfully pragmatic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Scissorfighter posted:

Seconding this. He's just so wonderfully pragmatic.

It's not a coincidence that both quartermasters are the most pragmatic characters.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Charlie Mopps posted:

It does lack in the penis department though. Bit of a double standard compared to spartacus. :colbert:

There will be some male frontal nudity.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

I also hope they run into another pirate ship which is crewed by the whole Spartacus cast and with Lugo as the quartermaster.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Where can I buy those sunglasses?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This show kicks rear end so far, I'm very excited to have something else to look forward to other than Vikings. So far no part of the show has been annoying or grating to get through, and I like the feeling of mounting tension throughout the episodes as well as the fact that it's not so serious that it can't be funny.

I don't understand how Bear McCreary can write music for like 5 shows at once though.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

VDay posted:

I was thinking that maybe they were setting her up to become Mary Read, but that just kind of depends on how much they're willing to change about what we know of her historically.

I hope not. It would be a lot cooler if Read gets introduced while she's cross-dressing. Bonus points if they manage to make it pretty convincing. Spoilered that just in case because it's a cool historical plot twist I'm betting they'll use at some point in the show.

Also, although a lot of people seem to think he's the weakest part of the show I kind of like Silver. He's such a complete and relentless snake, even compared to everyone around him and having a disarming, pretty-boy smile works well for that sort of character. "Hey, I'm just a goofy, loveable rogue. Pay no attention while I try to cheat you out of everything you own."

Blastedhellscape fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 11, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I don't understand how Bear McCreary can write music for like 5 shows at once though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On_Lh1wiSjk

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I think he just has a phenomenal ability to get the right session musicians, the main three rhythm musicians I saw in the above video have been playing with Bear for awhile.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

pigdog posted:

It's too bad every female character / actress in the show is terrible. Particularly Eleanor in her petrified forest of woodenness. Spartacus had its share of boobage, but also good actresses and characters to back it up.

Words fall from your mouth as poo poo from rear end

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Blastedhellscape posted:

Also, although a lot of people seem to think he's the weakest part of the show I kind of like Silver. He's such a complete and relentless snake, even compared to everyone around him and having a disarming, pretty-boy smile works well for that sort of character. "Hey, I'm just a goofy, loveable rogue. Pay no attention while I try to cheat you out of everything you own."

Yeah, I like him too. A character like his could easily get to be too over the top and I like that he's more low key right now.

CODChimera posted:

It seems like a few people missed this. AV Club gave it a D+ which is a bit ridiculous even before you see that Helix got a B.

That's crazy, I can understand if someone just doesn't like the show, but D's on AVClub usually go to poo poo that's objectively bad.

BlackJosh posted:

Jack Rackham might be my favorite character on the show. Both him and and the guy who plays Vane really seem to capture at least the myths that surround these two guys very well.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Where can I buy those sunglasses?

My favorite thing about him is the Brian Setzer hair.

Oh, also, I love the Mr T pirate that's been in the background of some scenes

savinhill fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 11, 2014

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Just watched all 3 episodes and although it has some promise they really need to get some better female actors.

I also don't really like John Silver in this. Vane and the two quartermasters are so much better.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Billy Bones has to be the most jacked pirate in history. What a tank.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Rocksicles posted:

Is that the Boson?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I keep thinking how Daniel Tosh got a role in a big series and it confuses every time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
That man is so ripped it looks like you could break him in half lengthwise like a KitKat bar :stare:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Jesus those abs belong on Arrow

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Loving this show so far.

It's kind of disappointing that so much of this era is blurred by fantasy and history. Considering how badass some of the real life pirates seemed to be, I'm suprised there was a need for fictional stories. With that said, this whole setting/era fascinates me despite the fact I have no idea what the gently caress is going on when it comes to the law, where they are, politics of the time etc.

Does anyone have any good reading/watching that I could do? I don't want super dry documentaries, but some historical based fiction must-sees/reads would be great.

Also, the look alikes in this show are amazing:
-How is Flint not the same actor as Jorah from GoT?
-How is Vane not the same actor as Desmond from Lost?
(Although I knew I knew him from somewhere. Shameless!)
-How is the hot female lead not Rachael Taylor?

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

xcore posted:

It's kind of disappointing that so much of this era is blurred by fantasy and history. Considering how badass some of the real life pirates seemed to be, I'm suprised there was a need for fictional stories. With that said, this whole setting/era fascinates me despite the fact I have no idea what the gently caress is going on when it comes to the law, where they are, politics of the time etc.

This stuff is actually relatively historically grounded, as far as pirate media goes. They are on New Providence Island, in the Bahamas, in the town of Nassau in 1715 (I believe that's when the show is set?), in a town that was basically abandoned by the British during the war against the Spanish and became such a pirate haven that the place just became de facto owned by the pirates more or less (Hornigold, who we met in the last episode, would declare himself one of the governors of this "pirate republic") until the British government got serious about getting rid of the pirates in the Bahamas. In real life that is still a few years down the road. Benjamin Hornigold, Charles Vane, Jack Rackham, and Anne Bonny so far have all been shown and they were all very much real people, although some liberties have obviously been taken with them to fit them with the fictional Treasure Island characters.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

xcore posted:

-How is Flint not the same actor as Jorah from GoT?
-How is Vane not the same actor as Desmond from Lost?

Because Jorah is on GoT, a far more popular show. And because the guy playing Vane is doing an amazing job. I like that actor quite a bit but the guy playing Vane is knocking it out of the park. Actually they're both great selections on the part of the casting director.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My GF is convinced that Flint is the same actor as in GoT

Adrda
Sep 12, 2008

xcore posted:

Loving this show so far.

Does anyone have any good reading/watching that I could do? I don't want super dry documentaries, but some historical based fiction must-sees/reads would be great.

You could check out A general history of the Pyrates. I think it's already been posted about, its not really dry but it was written in 1724 so look out for some fun English. it does cover some of the real pirates in Black Sails though, if that might steer you away. If you want to know about why sailors turned pirate or just how lovely sea life was almost anything my Marcus Rediker will have a lot to say. he isn't boring but it might come off as dry. Villains of all nations is a good book of his about pirates in the Atlantic during the golden age.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Because Jorah is on GoT, a far more popular show. And because the guy playing Vane is doing an amazing job. I like that actor quite a bit but the guy playing Vane is knocking it out of the park. Actually they're both great selections on the part of the casting director.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say "It should have been those actors". I'm just saying that I swore those characters were played by those actors and was surprised when I found out they weren't.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

xcore posted:

It's nonfiction but I've always liked Under the Black Flag by David Cordingly. It's a well written and easy to read account of how the golden age of piracy actually went down, along with some other stories about piracy throughout history. This show has really made me want to figure out where I buried my copy and reread it.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I really don't think Toby Stephens and Iain Glen look that similar, I mean they don't even have the same hair color for one thing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jesus those abs belong on Arrow

His forearms have Abs.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I could totally look like that if I wanted to, but I don't let society dictate how my body should look :colbert:

If you ignore the swords and pistols then it's alarming how much this just looks like some hipsters at a music festival.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

VDay posted:

I could totally look like that if I wanted to, but I don't let society dictate how my body should look :colbert:

If you ignore the swords and pistols then it's alarming how much this just looks like some hipsters at a music festival.

That guy is wearing a baldric. Come back when you're wearing a balteus, man.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VDay posted:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

We'd better watch it, I think we're only a Salmon Ladder away from a rivalry with the Arrow thread.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

So I realized something. This show isn't Spartacus's successor it is the shade of Deadwood. Discuss you cocksuckers.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I would sell a kidney for pirate Al Sweringen.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Sure they're ripped, but to be in character do they hit the gym with a 5th of rum?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MentholsNBeer posted:

Sure they're ripped, but to be in character do they hit the gym with a 5th of rum?

Vance's actor wins the best extreme physical prep prize for Black Sails doing 400 pull-ups a day and running half-marathons:
http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/athletes-and-celebrities/captain-jacked-zach-mcgowans-black-sails-workout

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I would sell a kidney for pirate Al Sweringen.

What a loving waste of talent this was. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
He happened in the wrong franchise, God drat us all.

• Locked thread