Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I used to read the Pern books, when I was a kid and just excited about dragons and too young to pick up on the weird/creepy poo poo. As far as fantasy novels go, there are far worse series to have been into, but still - every book is just a lovely romance novel where a feisty young woman is tamed by the strong capable man she spent the first few chapters insisting she didn't need, but with dragons. Also it's not rape if your dragon likes it, a little bit of not-rape is apparently good for you, and taking it up the pooper turns you flamboyant.

I also went through a phase of liking country music just because everybody hates country music and I was 14 and So Different From Everyone Else. On the bright side this kept me from having to confess to having liked Limp Bizkit or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I used to love Dave Matthews Band. Like, I still enjoy them, but I used to exclusively listen to them until my mid 20's. I was so obsessed that I nearly named one of my kids after them. My now 14 year old was almost named David Matthew Brand. Yeah, really. Thankfully my mom threatened to disown me so now the only shame he feels is being related to Russell Brand.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

natetimm posted:

Anyone who lived during the original Nintendo years is cursed with having liked terrible poo poo because so many of those games were poo poo. The original Ninja Turtles game was poo poo, Bayou Billy was poo poo, MadMax (not the one you think) was poo poo, just sooooo many poo poo games I desperately whittled away my childhood on.

I remember I had a friend as a kid who had a SNES and had seemingly made it his mission in life to play and own the worst games imaginable. No, I'm not kidding. He owned Home Alone. He owned Spider-Man and the X-Men.

He owned Pitfighter.

Every weekend, we'd go over to his and try and convince ourselves that we were having fun playing these abominations. Huffing lead paint would've been more fun, and probably cause less lasting damage.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Oh jeez, the Spider-Man and X-Men Arcades Revenge game. What a piece of poo poo. The opening level with Spider-Man is promising but then the literally biggest difficulty spike I have ever seen happens with all the other levels being impossible without cheats. The echoing yell when you die is burned into my brain. A lot of games back then weren't challenging, they were just broken beyond all belief.

There are good SNES games that hold up, but they weren't the "challenging" ones you remember. Nobody will ever call Super Metroid or Link to the Past "tough". The idea that retro games, good ones, were all about the challenge is a loving myth.

ebilflindas
Sep 16, 2013

I was really into Silverchair for a while in high school. I was pretty big into Nirvana (still am), and had listened to every track, every demo and b-side there was. Silverchair's first two albums were basically lovely Nirvana knockoffs, and they were like 16, and I was 16, so I guess I felt like I could relate to them more??

I also really liked Family Guy. Yep.

ebilflindas has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Feb 12, 2014

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

He owned Pitfighter.

This sounds like a terrible game that teaches youth that dog-fighting is a-ok. Please tell me I'm wrong. :ohdear:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's just a grade-Z Mortal Kombat clone, from Atari no less. No virtual dogs were harmed etc. etc.

I used to love the Doors and thought Jim Morrison was the coolest dude ever, to the extent that I patterned my entire look and persona after him. It's now many years later, but the shame of this eats a little more of my soul away every day.

edit: also anime.

Bimmi has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Feb 12, 2014

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

whatshesaid posted:

This sounds like a terrible game that teaches youth that dog-fighting is a-ok. Please tell me I'm wrong. :ohdear:

No, that's a different game:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

whatshesaid posted:

It's a horrible fighting game from back when digitized characters were a popular thing (it actually predates Mortal Kombat by a bit). The SNES version is notorious for its abysmal controls and extreme difficulty making the game near-unplayable. You'll usually see it listed amongst the worst SNES games of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A2BOuHL1R4

Justin Godscock has a new favorite as of 06:49 on Feb 12, 2014

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Bimmi posted:

I used to love the Doors and thought Jim Morrison was the coolest dude ever, to the extent that I patterned my entire look and persona after him. It's now many years later, but the shame of this eats a little more of my soul away every day.

What's wrong with the Doors? They had some good stuff, and at his prime, the Lizard King was pretty damned hot.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
They're the sort of band that is awesome when you're 18 and loving embarrassing when you're 30.

See also: Rush.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
The Doors definitely suck. Jim Morrison sings like he has a mouth full of whiskey-flavored marbles. Despite having only handful of good images in his lyrics, he was trying desperately to be some kind of poet. And instead of bass, there's some spastic organ playing. Anything he did, Iggy Pop did better. I think his early death is the only reason people still know about that band.

I also went through a big Rush phase. In high school, I used to blast my stepdad's greatest hits album on the stereo while playing SSX 3. For about a month, I thought 2112 was the pinnacle of rock and even tried writing fanfiction about the album's universe. For the record, I still think Neal Peart's drumming kicks rear end, but the lyrics he writes are pretty embarrassing, especially when Geddy Lee wails them earnestly.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Man, this thread doesn't have poo poo on my embarassing music taste. I used to really like Spice Girls when they were a thing. And I'm a guy. And it wasn't even me ogling at pretty girls, either.

Then again I also ended up slightly :gay: so maybe it was like an early warning sign or something.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
Whoa whoa whoa.
Back the gently caress up.

No ill things can rightfully be said about Rush. :colbert:

(Except that show tickets are too high)

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

whatshesaid posted:

Whoa whoa whoa.
Back the gently caress up.

No ill things can rightfully be said about Rush. :colbert:

(Except that show tickets are too high)

Terrible libertarian bullshit lyrics. Also Geddy Lee's voice is cringe-worthy and notable for inspiring even worse singers like the Dream Theater guy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For years, I didn't realize we were supposed to have a problem with all the trees being cut to the same height :(. It seemed fair to me.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I used to read (and love) all sorts of terrible manga including but not limited to: Naruto, Bleach, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (also known as that shounen manga with all the tits), and some super lovely harem style things I can't even remember the name of.

I also used to play some lovely MMORPGs like Runescape and Maplestory, and I used to be on Neopets a lot, at some point too.

Man, why couldn't I like better things as a young teen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh no, not bad lyrics in a prog rock band! Peart actually denounced Ayn Rand at some point I think.

Sometimes I forget that people care about vocals and when they tell me Rush suck because of Geddy Lee's voice I just look at them quizzically.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Alpacalips Now posted:

The Doors definitely suck. Jim Morrison sings like he has a mouth full of whiskey-flavored marbles. Despite having only handful of good images in his lyrics, he was trying desperately to be some kind of poet. And instead of bass, there's some spastic organ playing. Anything he did, Iggy Pop did better. I think his early death is the only reason people still know about that band.

I've often thought about the best way to describe The Doors' musical legacy, and all I can ever come up with is "boring white blues rock" because that's pretty much every Doors song. If Jim Morrison hadn't died suddenly, I think they would have eventually overstayed their welcome as the musical landscape changed during the early 70s, and The Doors would have been relegated to some forgettable Time-Life CD compilation and a rare airplay of maybe "Light My Fire" on the current AM oldies station (like it is now, hurr hurr). Maybe even a county fair concert or two (with one original member and three new guys).

Count me in as having... not liked The Doors, but I was a teenager listening to my parent's generation of music (baby boomers), so I respected the music. Then you realize in your mid-30s that the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses both you and your parents wore are a powerfully deceitful thing. I feel the same way about Jimi Hendrix. Great guitar player, dreadfully monotonous songs that all seem to run together.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Attestant posted:

Man, this thread doesn't have poo poo on my embarassing music taste. I used to really like Spice Girls when they were a thing. And I'm a guy. And it wasn't even me ogling at pretty girls, either.

Then again I also ended up slightly :gay: so maybe it was like an early warning sign or something.

I still like Wannabe.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I've been reading this thread and slowly cringing myself inside out. Where to begin?

Webcomics! Particularly the much-mocked Tim B^Uckley's Ctrl+Alt+Delete. I just thought it was hilarious. I even saved a number of them to my 'funny' folder, none of which raise even a hint of a smile today. To my eternal shame, I stuck a three-part Chef Brian comic to my folder at school. Does coffee bleed? Hi-larious. I was 17 for gently caress's sake.

When I was a bit younger (not enough to excuse it) I watched a lot of wrestling and joined a number of E-Feds. For the uninitiated, people send in their wrestlers with their traits and moves and do promos and the 'owner' of the fed will write shows and decide storylines for the wrestlers. It's incredibly lame. I once wrote a tournament between the two main feds to universal acclaim of my writing style.

As for music, I had poor, angsty tastes but I still like bands frequently mentioned in this thread like Linkin Park and System of a Down so I can't really talk. One band I loved to pieces but can no longer stand are Saliva. I got into them through wrestling and their angsty lyrics ("Why can't I be normal like everyone else"; it's scary to realise that these guys were older than I am now when they wrote some of this) and rap-metal provided many an MSN screen name. Oddly enough they have a new singer and put out a new album last year which I really like, no more angst and no more rapping. I just remembered "Look at me, my depth perception must be off again, you got much closer than I thought you diiiid". I have tears of cringe in my eyes writing that, it is just So Bad.

Pokemon games are good fun, the anime less so. Dragging your Mam to the first movie even less so.

Something I took to an art form in the endless free time of university was arguing on the internet not as you see it on here but endless fisks of fisks going round in circles. My pet topics were religion, creationism and alternative medicine. I could have dozens of tabs open when arguing this poo poo. I wonder if I ever changed anyone's mind :downs:.

Last one, going back to school, is console wars. The Xbox doesn't have GTA! Metal Gear Solid is way better than Halo! Who needs to play games online anyway? Gran Turismo has the best graphics of anything ever! Sony didn't even want Munch's Odyssey! Uuuurgh. I still admire the lad who would argue the Dreamcast's side well into 2003.

God drat, teenage self :negative:

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
I never paid attention to the lyrics. It's good music, and I like his castrated voice. Also, Dream Theater are pretty alright.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, console wars. I nearly forgot that shameful part of my childhood/high school years. Playstation 1 through Playstation 3, I defended every crap decision, every poo poo game, every broken feature Sony put out and attacked everything Nintendo and Microsoft/Sega did. Missed out on so many games since I refused to play anything that wasn't on a Playstation, even at friend's houses.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Don Gato posted:

Oh man, console wars. I nearly forgot that shameful part of my childhood/high school years. Playstation 1 through Playstation 3, I defended every crap decision, every poo poo game, every broken feature Sony put out and attacked everything Nintendo and Microsoft/Sega did. Missed out on so many games since I refused to play anything that wasn't on a Playstation, even at friend's houses.

Ugh, I was into this for a brief period as well. I was an ardent Wii defender. Then around 2009 I built my first gaming PC and realized I don't give a poo poo about consoles or console warriors.

My Wii continues to gather dust because it was also around 2009 that good games for it basically ceased to come out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Ugh, I was into this for a brief period as well. I was an ardent Wii defender. Then around 2009 I built my first gaming PC and realized I don't give a poo poo about consoles or console warriors.

My Wii continues to gather dust because it was also around 2009 that good games for it basically ceased to come out.

I bought mine during the height of their scarcity, and the Walmart near me got a pallet of them. I proceded to go to the theater, watch Iron Man, and come back to Walmart. It was at that point I decided it was a good idea. I don't think I've played it since 2009 either.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I ran up 400 dollars worth of hourly billed AOL on dozens of successive discs and CDs roleplaying in the Red Dragon Inn chat room. My AOL Instant messenger account name is still a holdover from those days, and when people in high school or junior high would ask me about it I would make up lesser nerdy excuses as to how I got that name because the actual excuse was so mentally cringeworthy, even at that time.

miserable lil onion
Oct 15, 2008

natetimm posted:

I ran up 400 dollars worth of hourly billed AOL on dozens of successive discs and CDs roleplaying in the Red Dragon Inn chat room.

Oh, my god. So many hours wasted.

::dodges::

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
What was the command to roll dice in those rooms? //roll dice 2 sides 20 or something like that? Also, I was in a guild.

ebilflindas
Sep 16, 2013

My first concert was Linkin Park. a bunch of lovely nu-metal bands opened for them (Story of the Year, P.O.D., and HOOBASTANK)

I was in 6th grade and it was a big deal at the time.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

ebilflindas posted:

My first concert was Linkin Park. a bunch of lovely nu-metal bands opened for them (Story of the Year, P.O.D., and HOOBASTANK)

I was in 6th grade and it was a big deal at the time.

The first big concert I went to was sponsored by the local morning zoo, jock rock radio station and featured Billy Idol, Goo Goo Dolls, Garbage, Sum 41 and a bunch of other terrible late 90s rock bands as well as an exhibition wrestling match between Scott Steiner (in his Big Poppa Pump phase) and some jobber. I was so thrilled to go to it but looking back it's like the worst of the 90s condensed into a single afternoon in a half-empty sports arena.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I went to the Family Values tour when Limp Bizkit was the headliner :suicide:

Primus was loving awesome though

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

cyberia posted:

The first big concert I went to was sponsored by the local morning zoo, jock rock radio station and featured Billy Idol, Goo Goo Dolls, Garbage, Sum 41 and a bunch of other terrible late 90s rock bands as well as an exhibition wrestling match between Scott Steiner (in his Big Poppa Pump phase) and some jobber. I was so thrilled to go to it but looking back it's like the worst of the 90s condensed into a single afternoon in a half-empty sports arena.

Hey. Garbage are still good.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Oh man, where to begin... Well, for one, I LOVED Anne McCaffrey books, especially the ones about Pern. I still have all of them, they're tucked away in boxes down in my basement. I read them from ages 9-16. Yep that's right, all the way through half of high school. I still have some nostalgia for them, but reading what some goons have to say about them makes me think there's a lot that I don't remember... I really just wanted to have my own dragon, ok? Like really badly, I would have even settled for a couple of the fire lizards.

Even more cringeworthy was that I also loved the Acorna series by McCaffrey. She's part unicorn, alien, human, whatever ok, she's special :downs: and yep, I read those through high school too...

But perhaps the most cringeworthy was the fan fiction. I had a pretty bad taste in music freshman and sophomore years, and I just loved reading about fan fiction that centered around guys from Avenge Sevenfold and Slipknot. I mostly liked Zacky Vengeance from A7X, and so went through a lot of those weird stories about him. They were always the same formula, you know, starring the sad, lonely girl that no one understood, except for her amazing cool boyfriend who loved her so much and could see that she was totally cool and special. There was always all sorts of melodramatic poo poo like kidnappings, rapes, murderers, etc. but in the end they would pull through! The main girl was a complete Mary Sue character. I blame that poo poo on why I briefly got into the Twilight novels as well.

And finally, Neopets. I was totally into that poo poo well into high school. I really liked to play the arcade style games that they had, but I wasted a lot of hours F5ing the keyboard in shops so that I could buy those stupid cakes or whatever items to resell them and make money. Why? I'm not even sure. Basically what I'm saying is that I was a complete loser for most (all) of high school.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Hey. Garbage are still good.

Yep, I love them. Not Your Kind of People was a nice mix of their old and new sounds. And Shirley Manson is still a babe. :colbert:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Thing: The Republican Party

Why it's terrible: Do I even need to explain? Hating women, hating minorities, hating the poor... you know.

Why I loved it: As a teen, the GOP offered a way for me to be edgy and offensive while also remaining a "good kid" with no authority issues. Having a black and white view of the world made thinking easy (in that none was required), because there's always a solution for everything and you can always be confident that you are right simply because you are. I do miss the false security it gave me. The GOP worldview is also at heart extremely pragmatic, cold, and dark, and that's always attractive to a self-hating teenager. :emo:

Rush Limbaugh was a hero of mine then. However, his unapologetic loudmouth style has stuck with me even after I moved to the left, now using my endless rage on better issues. Yet I can't deny his influence.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Hands-down it has to be Lostprophets. My 12-year-old self got into them when I was starting to get into rock and metal but I soon found myself moving on.

The songs I would occasionally hear from them after I'd lost interest seemed to get progressively shittier.

Oh, the lead singer is also currently serving a 30-year sentence for conspiracy to rape a baby.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Pipistrelle posted:

Oh man, where to begin... Well, for one, I LOVED Anne McCaffrey books, especially the ones about Pern. I still have all of them, they're tucked away in boxes down in my basement. I read them from ages 9-16. Yep that's right, all the way through half of high school. I still have some nostalgia for them, but reading what some goons have to say about them makes me think there's a lot that I don't remember... I really just wanted to have my own dragon, ok? Like really badly, I would have even settled for a couple of the fire lizards.
I picked up on the part where taking it up the pooper turns you flamboyant as a kid but I was just like searching for gay dudes in fiction to identify with and didn't realize the concept of "problematic" existed and applied. When I realized they all had the same romance novel plot is when I got bored of them and quit reading. But for the most part I, too, just wanted my own dragon. gently caress fire lizards, though, my family's always kept parrots and they're close enough to make me figure fire lizards would just be annoying

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

cyberia posted:

My first concert (that I chose to go to, rather than just going because my parents got free tickets) was Sum 41, Treble Charger and an Ontario ska-punk band called Jersey. Honestly I'd go again, late-90s early-aughts pop-punk is fun and pretty benign as far as Terrible Things I Used to Love go. Hell, I went to see the Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox Twenty with my dad last summer and had a blast. Mind, I was in a skybox with free beer and food but I genuinely love a lot of indefensible music that came out at the right time in my life.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I used to be a terrible weeaboo. I still like some anime, but I've definitely grown out of my "EVERYTHING FROM GLORIOUS NIPPON IS GREAT" phase. Nothing will ever convince me Saint Seiya isn't the absolute best though. My nostalgia glasses for that one are strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Ninjasaurus posted:

Yep, I love them. Not Your Kind of People was a nice mix of their old and new sounds. And Shirley Manson is still a babe. :colbert:

I recently heard that song after long forgetting Garbage even existed, and it's become one of my favourite songs.

• Locked thread