Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

How many whiteboards has this man murdered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

Why are there no words on the board

Can Muschamp actually not read

*squints at board* This means...uh...*sweat beads start forming, whole team is staring*...NOT loving REAL MAN FOOTBALL THAT'S WHAT

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

its like that scene in drum line where it turns out nick cannon cant read music at all

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Declan MacManus posted:

Why are there no words on the board

Can Muschamp actually not read

Oh come on, there are no words for current Gator football.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MACTION, SON :getin:

FBschedules.com posted:

The Mid-American Conference (MAC) has set the home and away football opponents for the 2014 season.

The full schedule with dates will be released at a later date. The 2014 Marathon MAC Championship Game will be played at Ford Field in Detroit on either Friday, Dec. 5 or Saturday, Dec. 6.

Listed below are the 2014 opponents for each MAC school (*crossover opponent):

EAST DIVISION

Akron

Home: Bowling Green, Miami (OH), UMass, Eastern Michigan*
Away: Buffalo, Kent State, Ohio, Ball State*

Bowling Green

Home: Buffalo, Kent State, Ball State*, Western Michigan*
Away: Akron, Ohio, UMass, Toledo*

Buffalo

Home: Akron, Kent State, Miami (OH), Central Michigan*
Away: Bowling Green, Ohio, UMass, Eastern Michigan*

Kent State

Home: Akron, Ohio, UMass, Toledo*
Away: Bowling Green, Buffalo, Miami (OH), Northern Illinois*

Miami (OH)

Home: Kent State, Ohio, UMass, Western Michigan*
Away: Akron, Buffalo, Central Michigan*, Northern Illinois*

Ohio

Home: Akron, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Northern Illinois*
Away: Kent State, Miami (OH), *Central Michigan, Western Michigan*

UMass

Home: Bowling Green, Buffalo, Ball State*, Eastern Michigan*
Away: Akron, Kent State, Miami (OH), Toledo*

WEST DIVISION

Ball State

Home: Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Akron*
Away: Central Michigan, Toledo, Bowling Green*, UMass*

Central Michigan

Home: Ball State, Western Michigan, Miami (OH)*, Ohio*
Away: Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Toledo, Buffalo*

Eastern Michigan

Home: Central Michigan, Northern Illinois, Toledo, Buffalo*
Away: Ball State, Western Michigan, Akron*, UMass*

Northern Illinois

Home: Central Michigan, Toledo, Kent State*, Miami (OH)*
Away: Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Ohio*

Toledo

Home: Ball State, Central Michigan, Bowling Green*, UMass*
Away: Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Kent State*

Western Michigan

Home: Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Toledo, Ohio*
Away: Ball State, Central Michigan, Bowling Green*, Miami (OH)*

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

A story on then-freshman Myron Rolle boxing then-RB Marcus Sims

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/2/12/5401774/myron-rolle-profile-florida-state-football-nfl-rhodes-scholar

the rest of the article seems to suck

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 12, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

So it turns out those games at JerryWorld are pretty much bowl games with none of the downside:

That's actually a pretty sweet deal and actual bowl games would be way better for schools if they operated like that. I still don't understand how bowls somehow still get away with forcing schools to take all the risk while they and TV reap all the rewards.

I mean, I understand how it actually happens. I just don't get how such open corruption and cronyism is tolerated.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Oodles of Wootles posted:

Why on earth hasn't his offer been pulled yet? Dude is on camera suplexing a guard. It's not like there's a chance he is innocent here

All he wants is a place at the table.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Former Nebraska kicker Erick Lueschen came out as openly gay when he was playing, nobody really gave a poo poo except for the assistant coaches

Eruck Lueschen posted:

Once everyone found out, several coaches made it very clear to me that I wasn't welcome. I would say the majority of how they made it known that I was unwelcome was through non-verbal communication—body language, looks—but there was definitely some verbal things at times.

of course he's gay look at that hair

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Auburn High School player and Alabama signee Rashaan Evans is having some difficulties since Signing Day:

ESPN.com posted:

"It's getting worse," Evans told TideSports.com. "Someone actually put out an article about my family's business telling all Auburn fans not to go there. We are going to eventually start losing money. People are telling restaurants in the town not to serve us.

"It's hard for me to go out and chill with my friends like I have always done because people keep coming up to me telling me I made a bad decision. It's grown men. They are asking me why I did this to them. I told them I had to do what is best for me."

Evans is the No. 52 overall recruit in the ESPN 300 and the No. 2 outside linebacker. He was considering Alabama, Auburn and UCLA, and the SEC rivals were in such hot pursuit of the 6-foot-3, 217-pounder that they each sent representatives to his grandfather's birthday party.

But Evans ultimately chose the Crimson Tide, saying after signing his letter of intent, "Alabama was the best place for me."

Not everyone, though, agrees.

"I knew people would be mad and say stuff," Evans told TideSports.com. "I didn't think it would be like this. It wasn't a complete shock to me, but I guess that's just how fans are.

"It's just crazy right now. What's getting crazy is people are going to the board at my school trying to get me in trouble. They are telling my teachers I am a bad kid and all this stuff. It's just bad right now."

Evans said social media hasn't made it any easier.

"People on Instagram are telling me how they hope I tear my ACL in Game 1, [that] they will laugh when I do," he told the website. "They are saying my family is horrible and how they didn't raise me right. It's just crazy."

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 12, 2014

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I hate a lot of college football fans.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Alabama, folks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

That's actually a pretty sweet deal and actual bowl games would be way better for schools if they operated like that.

This is basically what Notre Dame has been doing for like 5 years now with the Shamrock Series.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Regnevelc posted:

I hate a lot of college football fans.

I like you guys. You guys are my posting bros. My brosts.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That is a pretty terrible thing :smith:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The AAC released its conference schedule in the form of a hard to read chart. Since all you care about is UCF, basically they go on the road for two of their top challengers (Houston and ECU) and duck Cincinnati. Probably about a 50/50 chance they make the Exception Bowl. Now, keep scrolling:

Also ECU slightly changed its skull logo to jump on the Angry Mascot craze.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
ECU fans are really pissed about the logo change, first they emasculated their Petey mascot and now their logo has weird perspective issues

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

pillsburysoldier posted:

A story on then-freshman Myron Rolle boxing then-RB Marcus Sims

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/2/12/5401774/myron-rolle-profile-florida-state-football-nfl-rhodes-scholar

the rest of the article seems to suck

I like their long forms. But if you wanted it to be about football you'd be disappointed. Most of their long forms are way more human interest than sports knowledge.

I've enjoyed the past few they've put up fwiw.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Can't tell if this is old news or not: NCAA proposing another targetting rule change:

FanSided posted:

NCAA proposes change to remove 15-yd targeting penalty if ejection is overturned
BY JOSH SANCHEZ - FEB 12TH, 2014 AT 5:13 PM

In 2013, the NCAA’s targeting rule in college football drummed up plenty of conversation. The flag for the 15-yard penalty was thrown at some ridiculous times which was proven by instant replay, but the flag could not be picked up even if it was clear that targeting was not the case and the player committing the foul had his ejection overturned.

Now, there could be a change.

The NCAA Football Rules Committee proposed changing the rule, so that the flag could be picked up and waived off if replay shows a player was not targeting and the player remains in the game.

“Overall, the targeting rule was successful and has had the intended impact of making play safer,” said Troy Calhoun, head coach at the Air Force Academy and chair of the committee, in a press release. “This alteration keeps the intent of the rule, but allows replay to correct all of the consequences from a rare missed call.”

Oh wait you thought they wouldn't try to sneak a dumb poo poo rule change into a new season hahahahaha.

quote:

The committee also recommended a rules change that will allow defensive units to substitute within the first 10 seconds of the 40-second play clock, with the exception of the final two minutes of each half, starting with the 2014 season.

Under this rule proposal, the offense will not be allowed to snap the ball until the play clock reaches 29 seconds or less. If the offense snaps the ball before the play clock reaches 29 seconds, a 5-yard, delay-of-game penalty will be assessed.
The RIP Oregon Rule

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 12, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Oh wait you thought they wouldn't try to sneak a dumb poo poo rule change into a new season hahahahaha.

The RIP Oregon Rule

The Saban Gets His Way rule

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I have been instructed by Nick Saban to state that the proposed rule change is a prudent one that would improve player safety. :geno:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Can't tell if this is old news or not: NCAA proposing another targetting rule change:

RIP Oregon.

OK so what happens if replay shows that the player didn't hit helmet to helmet, so he gets to stay in, but there still should be some sort of personal foul for unnecessary roughness or roughing the passer or whatever?

I guess I didn't really understand everybody complaining last season about the 15 yard penalty not being overturned on replay. No subjective penalties like that are reviewable, and the review was only to ensure no individual player was getting hosed over because of a bad call.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

wa27 posted:

OK so what happens if replay shows that the player didn't hit helmet to helmet, so he gets to stay in, but there still should be some sort of personal foul for unnecessary roughness or roughing the passer or whatever?
The sole purpose of the targeting penalty is to penalize someone who hit someone in the head. The review checks to see if the guy actually hit someone in the head. If the review proves that the guy did not hit someone in the head, there is no point in the 15-yard penalty that was assessed for something that was just disproven. Otherwise, there would've been multiple flags on the play.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

JT Jag posted:

The sole purpose of the targeting penalty is to penalize someone who hit someone in the head. The review checks to see if the guy actually hit someone in the head. If the review proves that the guy did not hit someone in the head, there is no point in the 15-yard penalty that was assessed for something that was just disproven. Otherwise, there would've been multiple flags on the play.

So if someone appears to target the quarterback well after a pass they should be throwing two flags? I always thought the official would throw the flag for the most severe penalty (which is always targeting).

Edit: replace roughing the passer with Hitting a defenseless receiver or any other personal foul that could come from a hard hit.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 12, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If there are two fouls on the play and one is overturned, they would enforce the other foul. I have never seen an NCAA penalty for targeting that involved the QUARTERBACK, though I have seen plenty of roughing the passer penalties for blows to the head. Which is separate.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

The RIP Oregon Rule
That's a horrible rule. Why must Nick Saban always win?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Korranus posted:

The AAC released its conference schedule in the form of a hard to read chart. Since all you care about is UCF, basically they go on the road for two of their top challengers (Houston and ECU) and duck Cincinnati. Probably about a 50/50 chance they make the Exception Bowl. Now, keep scrolling:

Also ECU slightly changed its skull logo to jump on the Angry Mascot craze.

Wish Tulane got to play SMU and USF next season.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

If there are two fouls on the play and one is overturned, they would enforce the other foul. I have never seen an NCAA penalty for targeting that involved the QUARTERBACK, though I have seen plenty of roughing the passer penalties for blows to the head. Which is separate.

UGA/Vandy last year.

quote:

Georgia already lost defensive end Ray Drew with 11:19 left in the second quarter. Officials flagged the defensive end for targeting when Drew hit Carta-Samuels after he threw a pass and pushed the quarterback to the ground. Georgia linebacker Jordan Jenkins tried to be careful after the game but was not happy with the call or the rule in general.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=332920238

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Crazy Ted posted:

Auburn High School player and Alabama signee Rashaan Evans is having some difficulties since Signing Day:
That's what he gets for not escaping the whole state and coming to UCLA instead :colbert:

Just kidding, that's loving awful and unfortunately something that I think a lot of people saw coming. Recruiting is pretty dumb. Can you even imagine what happens if he turns out to be a bust? The same assholes will go from yelling "You should've come here you loving traitor!" to cheering "Hah! We totally knew you'd be a bust! That's what you get!" At least he'll be treated like a king at Alabama if he turns out to be pretty good.

The RIP Oregon Rule
Delay-of-game penalty for going too fast. Brilliant :bravo:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It would probably be completely overturned in that instance, even if it still constitutes roughing the passer. The refs can't assign two separate penalties in that circumstance because they'd stack, which would be unfair in the other direction.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Aren't these still proposals to be voted on and not official rules?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So that is a pretty bit hit to a true hurryup style game, right? I mean, I guess for "fairness" I can understand, but if the idea is that the offense has 40 seconds, who cares if they snap at 39, 20, or 1? It is their 40 seconds to decide what to do.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It would probably be completely overturned in that instance, even if it still constitutes roughing the passer. The refs can't assign two separate penalties in that circumstance because they'd stack, which would be unfair in the other direction.

Not according to the NCAA press release:

quote:

However, if the targeting foul is committed in conjunction with another personal foul, the 15-yard penalty for that personal foul remains. For example, if a player is called for roughing the passer and targeting the head and neck area, but the instant replay official rules that targeting did not occur, the player flagged would remain in the game, but the roughing the passer penalty would still be enforced.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Aren't these still proposals to be voted on and not official rules?
Yes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The RIP Oregon Rule

gently caress dis poo poo.

I mean, it wouldn't necessarily affect Baylor that much (at least not last year's Baylor) because Briles is saying that we averaged around 24-27s left on the clock before snapping the ball, which is in the new rule's safe zone, but I haven't seen any compelling evidence that hurry-up is significantly more dangerous than 'traditional' offense. The Targeting rule makes more sense, at least we all agree that brain damage is hosed and should be avoided at some length.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 13, 2014

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

quote:

As we turn the page to 2014, it's worth taking a look back at what a truly historic season 2013 was for the ACC. The conference reached several unprecedented milestones that will make 2013 one of the league's more memorable seasons. Just in case you need a little bragging material heading into spring ball ...
--The ACC became the first conference to have 11 teams with winning records since 1932, when the old Southern Conference was a 24-team league.
--It was the first time in the league’s 61-year history that three ACC teams ended the regular season with at least 10 wins (Florida State, Duke and Clemson).
--Duke won 10 games for the first time in school history. The Blue Devils' previous high for victories was nine, originally set in 1933 and matched in 1936, 1938 and 1941.
--Florida State finished 14-0 for the first time in school history, besting the previous mark of 12-0 set by the 1999 national champions.
--The ACC became the first conference in history to have a player win the Heisman Trophy (Jameis Winston, FSU), the Doak Walker Award (Andre Williams, BC), the Outland Trophy (Aaron Donald, Pitt), the Nagurski Trophy (Donald), the Lombardi Award (Donald) and the Bednarik Award (Donald) in the same season.
--Winston became the youngest player in history to win the Heisman Trophy. He was also the first freshman to win the award and lead his team to the national championship in the same season.
--With FSU’s win over No. 2 Auburn and Clemson’s win over then-No. 7 Ohio State, the ACC led all conferences with three wins over top-10 teams in 2013. The ACC was the only conference with multiple wins over top-10 nonconference teams.

#supremACC

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, it wouldn't necessarily affect Baylor that much (at least not last year's Baylor) because Briles is saying that we averaged around 24-27s left on the clock before snapping the ball, which is in the new rule's safe zone, but I haven't seen any compelling evidence that hurry-up is significantly more dangerous than 'traditional' offense.

The clock isn't as big of an issue as the fact that this change will allow defenses to substitute every play, regardless of whether or not the offense made a substitution.

No more using the hurry up to wear a defense down.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zypher posted:

The clock isn't as big of an issue as the fact that this change will allow defenses to substitute every play, regardless of whether or not the offense made a substitution.

Oh, yeah.

Duh. :saddowns:

I really hope the NCAA doesn't pass a rule solely because Nick Saban wouldn't stop moaning.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS posted:

Text from a coach on new rules proposal: "the 2 coaches on the rules committee were 84th & 106th in plays run last year. C'mon man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Zypher posted:

Yeah, this is a response to all the howling about fake injuries.

• Locked thread