Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I was reading the Letters to the Editor in an issue of Motorcycle Consumer News this morning that it took me awhile to get to and it talked about the opening doors, especially in completely stopped traffic in CA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
All right, I've loving had it... The only time it's getting above freezing in the next week is when it's gonna snow... again. I'm thinking about going over to the white side and trying snowmobiling. Anyone out there using it to keep the jones at bay? I'm just gonna rent one and do some guided tour up in NH or something,I don't need all the aggravation of actually owning one. Any tips? How similar is it to riding a bike?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You could always try your hand at slip-n-sliding like I did last week (ride heavy, powerful bikes in the snow errday).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Royal Nonesuch- Good point. I guess I just didn't think of it like that. They can die if they actually did.

Same for your idiot Xovaan. People who swerve at you, open doors, or otherwise deliberately legitimately endanger your life over some petty pride issue deserve a mountain of punishment. That is your life and your bike. Not some mean honk, angry words, or whatever else they might do to ruin your day. They probably don't even see it as an act of attempted manslaughter or whatever because they "just did it to scare".

Just got my bike back from 2.5 weeks of no riding, and pretty much no riding all of January. No sooner than 90 miles into my brand new woodcraft shift lever, two of the three tiny allen screws fell out. I JUST checked this stuff this evening. So now instead of riding I get to figure out whatever bullshit tiny martian screw they used and hopefully get one locally. I was going to loctite some other parts tomorrow, but this never seemed like it would be an issue. I'd expect this from a thumper but not this. I just want to ride can I not get a stretch of time where I can ride without having to replace whatever latest thing fell off or broke or wore out jesus.

The worst part is now my friend is all "wow you've had bad luck with that bike so far it's not been a good bike". NO NO NO. IT HAS. It's just all legitimate breaks or worn stuff, but it's been spaced perfectly so it's one right after another. I'm getting really fed up with driving the car.

edit: freedom powersports in Lawrenceville was gold in hunting down some screws that would get me running again. I've threadlocked the pertinent parts, and learned a good lesson with low cost and trouble.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 8, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

The_Raven posted:

All right, I've loving had it... The only time it's getting above freezing in the next week is when it's gonna snow... again. I'm thinking about going over to the white side and trying snowmobiling. Anyone out there using it to keep the jones at bay? I'm just gonna rent one and do some guided tour up in NH or something,I don't need all the aggravation of actually owning one. Any tips? How similar is it to riding a bike?

Not very similar. It's more similar to riding an ATV.

Going out into some untouched powder snow and just going hog wild is some of the best times I've ever had on a motorized vehicle. It's just so... relaxing and fun and nice and I don't even know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbuoPJGAu8g

Ninja edit; make sure to bring a shovel if you're going off the trail as a beginner. The shoveling is the not-so-fun part. Like they're going to have to do after that video ends...

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 8, 2014

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
It finally started raining a bit in California so I took the Car to work today.

Screw Friday rush hour traffic, even in the rain, I should've ridden, I even saw a guy on an RC8R splitting lanes.

/California winter problems

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It snowed and Auburn Way is a parking lot in places. Looks like I'm driving to work tomorrow. Ugh. Riding is so much better.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

infraboy posted:

It finally started raining a bit in California so I took the Car to work today.

Screw Friday rush hour traffic, even in the rain, I should've ridden, I even saw a guy on an RC8R splitting lanes.

/California winter problems

I rode home in the rain on Thursday and lane split for at least 15 miles. I was glad to not be sitting in traffic but I was afraid of crashing because I really don't remember how to ride in the rain. My brakes also work for poo poo when they get wet (I found out as a truck closed the gap while I was splitting).

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What pads are you using that would have decreased performance in wet conditions? I use HH pads and have never had a problem.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Xovaan posted:

What pads are you using that would have decreased performance in wet conditions? I use HH pads and have never had a problem.

Funnily enough it's HH pads that people perceive to have the bigger problems in the wet. They've actually got exactly the same gripping force in the wet as in the dry but you lose the initial massive bite that sintered pads give you (because it takes a revolution or two of the wheel+disc to squeeqee the water off the disc), and a lot of people interpret that as a loss of overall power.

Personally I like it because it gives you a fraction of a second to correct a panic grab of the lever, but others hate it because they end up doing the exact opposite - they grab the brake, think nothing's happening, and grab another handful.

Organics generally have less power in the wet than the dry but the profile of their braking power stays the same, it just needs more pressure - there's certainly a case that that's a safer way for things to happen, but it's very much down to personal taste.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Not very similar. It's more similar to riding an ATV.

Maybe the new ones?? I got an old sled this year after not having ridden one in like 15 years and it is the cat's meow for keeping the bike monkey off my back in the dead of winter.

My use case is riding it around on 120 acres of steep/rocky terrain so not the same as most people I guess. It is so narrow it constantly wants to tip over when not riding on "snowmobile trails" (which are basically roads, what the hell?) and it has a lovely track that is really short and gets bad traction so front/rear weight distribution is something that needs to constantly be attended to.

If you shift your weight to the back when you go over a rise you can pop sweet wheelies, and you can back them into corners like you are ripping around on a dirtbike (or i guess an ATV).

It also requires tons of standing up imo if you want to go fast (also might be my 70s suspension), so it's like riding a dirtbike. If you want a real challenge take an old slow sled and ride 60 miles through the back country with a group of people on $15k brand new machines with thousands of studs, air shocks, kerjillions of inches of suspension travel and two or three times the displacement. Just keeping up on an old sled on a rough trail is one hell of a good time and reminds me way more of riding a bike than an ATV.

quote:

Going out into some untouched powder snow and just going hog wild is some of the best times I've ever had on a motorized vehicle. It's just so... relaxing and fun and nice and I don't even know.

Totally agree with this right here. Powder up to the windshield, old 340 air cooled twin brappppppppping all night long

Dear god someone help me I've turned into a snowmobile rider

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
we've moved from tumblr to a real site yall, update your bookmarks http://hipsterbikevideos.com/

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

HNasty posted:

we've moved from tumblr to a real site yall, update your bookmarks http://hipsterbikevideos.com/

Cool you got it switched to Wordpress. I don't have PMs but let me know if you run into questions/issues

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

apatite posted:

Maybe the new ones?? I got an old sled this year after not having ridden one in like 15 years and it is the cat's meow for keeping the bike monkey off my back in the dead of winter.

If you want a real challenge take an old slow sled and ride 60 miles through the back country with a group of people on $15k brand new machines with thousands of studs, air shocks, kerjillions of inches of suspension travel and two or three times the displacement. Just keeping up on an old sled on a rough trail is one hell of a good time and reminds me way more of riding a bike than an ATV.

Yeah, with old sleds everythings different. Mostly it's suspension that has no travel whatsoever (compared to a newer sled) and the olders tracks having lug heights that are just laughable by modern standards. Even the most laid back trail machine sold today has a more agressive track than a 20 year old mountain machine (if using the stock track).

apatite posted:

Totally agree with this right here. Powder up to the windshield, old 340 air cooled twin brappppppppping all night long

You can't be sad on a snowmobile.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

apatite posted:

Could be worse. I bought jet skis last summer, and they're even less useful in the winter than the motorcycles.

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

HNasty posted:

Love your blog. I love old choppers and customs but the way people act like its some spiritual journey are the worst. You want some good fodder just go over to chopcult.com forums, it's a clown school.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You can't be sad on a snowmobile.
Except if you live in Stockholm and get no snow ever. :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

apatite posted:

Cool you got it switched to Wordpress. I don't have PMs but let me know if you run into questions/issues

Hey dude we chill out on irc.synirc.net in #bieks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I've been seriously considering buying something like a DR200, KLR250, TW200 for some hilarious lightweight adventure touring this summer but apparently I'm way too tall (6' 2", 1.88m) for any of those according to the internet :(

Next logical step is a DR650 or KLR650, right?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Why not a DRZ or WR250? They'd both be tall enough for you and much closer to a lightweight adventurer than one of the 650s.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Get a Ulysses

I'm always frustrated by the first 3 weeks after it snows... it always feels relatively tropical out, but all that loving sand they dump on the road and let sit until a week before the next time it snows just ruins it for me. I hate riding over it, knocking it off my bike, and eating it.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 11, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I've been seriously considering buying something like a DR200, KLR250, TW200 for some hilarious lightweight adventure touring this summer but apparently I'm way too tall (6' 2", 1.88m) for any of those according to the internet :(

Next logical step is a DR650 or KLR650, right?

Speaking as someone 6'3", you arent too tall for a TW200. They have pretty relaxed ergos.

And yeah, as mentioned, the next step up from those in size is the DRZ/WR. The DR650 and KLR are both big bikes. The DR is closer to what you're looking for than the KLR in my mind though.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Speaking as someone 6'3", you arent too tall for a TW200. They have pretty relaxed ergos.

And yeah, as mentioned, the next step up from those in size is the DRZ/WR. The DR650 and KLR are both big bikes. The DR is closer to what you're looking for than the KLR in my mind though.

I've got a tw200 and a drz and am 6'1 -- you are not too big for the TW especially with some bar risers. There are some huge dudes that ride these things. You should probably go with the DRZ though because the suspension on the TW200 is just awful comparatively (and I say this as a person that has put wayyyyyy too much time and money into my tw200)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, I signed up for a double header trackday weekend for March 22-23rd and have ordered everything my bike needs... welp, loving health insurance is taking forever and I have to have paid the first month premium by Feb 15th to be covered starting March 1st but Healthnet doesn't even have my information yet so I can't pay. I'm going to be pissed if I wasted $300.

edit: I'm going to make sure these days happen. gently caress it. Make it rain.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 12, 2014

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Just don't fall off :D

Fake edit:
(Or grenade another engine!)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Just don't fall off :D

Fake edit:
(Or grenade another engine!)

Ya bastard ;) I've made it through four trackdays without eating poo poo but I figure it'll happen eventually.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A few days ago girly and I were driving home along a street that t-junctions with my street. There is one house along that street that always seems to have three or four guys outside, in the driveway, dicking around with some kind of random vehicle. On that particular day, one of them was in the street talking to a guy on what looked like a naked bandit 600 or similar. Entirely black, all black riding gear, noisy as gently caress. I made the joke that we should call the cops on him and tell them "he's the guy!"

Cut forward to yesterday and girly hears a cop chasing a bike somewhere in the neighbourhood. She quickly jumps in her car and scoots around the corner to that same street, only to find that same guy has been pulled over.

This morning I pull into the gas station down the street (on my red bike, no less) and this is the conversation that ensued:

;-* Should you be riding that??
:raise: It isn't raining yet, I think I'll beat the weather, why...?
;-* No I mean didn't you lose your license??
:raise: ....what?
;-* I know you got pulled over yesterday and my husband said you lost your license so you shouldn't be riding around :colbert:
:raise: ...that wasn't me. Can I get my petrol now, or do you want me to show you my license first?

Then she told me I shouldn't be so rude and punched poo poo on her screen and I got to get my petrol and go to work.

gently caress. Me.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you're hosed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Move out of that beautiful country filled with shitheads and the dumbest rules known to man

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

A few days ago girly and I were driving home along a street that t-junctions with my street. There is one house along that street that always seems to have three or four guys outside, in the driveway, dicking around with some kind of random vehicle. On that particular day, one of them was in the street talking to a guy on what looked like a naked bandit 600 or similar. Entirely black, all black riding gear, noisy as gently caress. I made the joke that we should call the cops on him and tell them "he's the guy!"

Cut forward to yesterday and girly hears a cop chasing a bike somewhere in the neighbourhood. She quickly jumps in her car and scoots around the corner to that same street, only to find that same guy has been pulled over.

This morning I pull into the gas station down the street (on my red bike, no less) and this is the conversation that ensued:

:raise: It isn't raining yet, I think I'll beat the weather, why...?
;-* No I mean didn't you lose your license??
:raise: ....what?
;-* I know you got pulled over yesterday and my husband said you lost your license so you shouldn't be riding around :colbert:
:raise: ...that wasn't me. Can I get my petrol now, or do you want me to show you my license first?

Then she told me I shouldn't be so rude and punched poo poo on her screen and I got to get my petrol and go to work.

gently caress. Me.

It sounds like you live in the most comically white and passive aggressive neighborhood ever.

Get out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Chichevache posted:

It sounds like you live in the most comically white and passive aggressive neighborhood ever.

The entire Commonwealth?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Safety Dance posted:

The entire Commonwealth?

Is the whole country that bad? I'm personally just shocked that a gas station attendant is butting their nose into something that is none of their drat business.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

;-* my husband

:smith: Yes dear, I know. The motorbike is loud and the police will hopefully be taking care of it soon. Can we please go back to sleep

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How do you not tell her to gently caress off after that? Good god. Dude, crash my couch. Arizona sucks but its better than there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Is this the same woman as before?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

^^ I believe so!

I have a guest bedroom in my house in San Diego if you wanna do a pit stop on the coast. I'll make you food and you can ride the Bandit while I ride my girlfriend's 250. :buddy:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

No lie, I'm not sure how you live each day without killing something. That kind of constant interference from random people would drive me homicidal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Is this the same woman as before?

Nah it's a service station woman who I see pretty much every time I go to the gas station near my house. I don't know her, I don't smalltalk with her, but she would've seen my various bikes I guess.

NZ is a great place, honestly. It's just the people.

hot sauce posted:

:smith: Yes dear, I know. The motorbike is loud and the police will hopefully be taking care of it soon. Can we please go back to sleep

90% certain this is what happened.

BlackMK4 posted:

How do you not tell her to gently caress off after that? Good god. Dude, crash my couch. Arizona sucks but its better than there.

Xovaan posted:

^^ I believe so!

I have a guest bedroom in my house in San Diego if you wanna do a pit stop on the coast. I'll make you food and you can ride the Bandit while I ride my girlfriend's 250. :buddy:

I'm actually unable to get a passport at the moment. My parents decided to get their NZ citizenship when I was a kid (I came here at age seven) but left me as a 'permanent resident' which means I get all the rights of a citizen, minus actually being a citizen and having an NZ passport etc. Then they hosed off to Australia.

I'm trying to get my citizenship in order to get a passport and I've just gotten a letter from immigration telling me that the number of demerit points on my license indicate I have a disregard for traffic laws and 'may' indicate that I don't qualify as 'a person of good character' and that the bureau 'may' compile a report outlining this and present it to the minister, who will then decide whether or not to reject my application in order to 'give me sufficient time to demonstrate good character traits'. This would mean I lose the $450 application fee.

Alternatively I can withdraw my application now and get $390 of my fee back, then wait until the points expire.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'm trying to get my citizenship in order to get a passport and I've just gotten a letter from immigration telling me that the number of demerit points on my license indicate I have a disregard for traffic laws and 'may' indicate that I don't qualify as 'a person of good character' and that the bureau 'may' compile a report outlining this and present it to the minister, who will then decide whether or not to reject my application in order to 'give me sufficient time to demonstrate good character traits'. This would mean I lose the $450 application fee.
:stare:

And I thought Sweden was a nanny state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Nah it's a service station woman who I see pretty much every time I go to the gas station near my house. I don't know her, I don't smalltalk with her, but she would've seen my various bikes I guess.

NZ is a great place, honestly. It's just the people.

90% certain this is what happened.

I'm actually unable to get a passport at the moment. My parents decided to get their NZ citizenship when I was a kid (I came here at age seven) but left me as a 'permanent resident' which means I get all the rights of a citizen, minus actually being a citizen and having an NZ passport etc. Then they hosed off to Australia.

Alternatively I can withdraw my application now and get $390 of my fee back, then wait until the points expire.

What country were you born in? Alternatively, what citizenship do your parents claim? If it's Australian I don't know, but if your parents are from a country and you were born in that country, you should be able to get a passport from that country, even if you aren't resident or anything. Hell I got a British passport despite being born in Canada because my dad was British.