Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Medal should be "Terashell's rear end-plate of Honor" and should be + Aim/+ Will. Issue to the next Squadmate that comes back from a mission nearly dead.

Stomperud absolutely has to be "Bork Bork Bork".
Make Tiny Turtle "Mecha Gear Rag", continue naming convention for all future Mecs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tactical Sense because +defense when you can see multiple enemies is the time you want +defense.

drat Good Ground because it doesn't take long for pistols to be of questionable utility. Though Gunslinger does have its oments when your sniper is running through UFOs, since sometimes you will have to move to set up for a new shot, and Gunslinger lets them put at least some hurt out the turn they move.

Shredder Rockets because it kills all basic foes, sets up captures on 5 hp foes, and lets you blow up more cover, and exposes giant fuckoff enemies to bonus damage for a turn or two.

Revive I am quite a fan of revive. Sure you won't always get a knockdown instead of just a flat out dead. But when you do, it means you can get that soldier back into the fight for the rest of the mission.
Suppression is nice, I guess, but things go wrong. -30 aim on one enemy for 2 shots worth of ammo has its moments, but only if your support/heavy is there while it's happening. And it assumes that he can't just shoot the troublemaker, since he already has something resembling a shot.

The first rule of X-Com is sometimes things go wrong. You can have your guy you've revived on rearguard for the mission if you don't want to use the medkit charges. Without it, you still burn a medkit charge, but you're down a man for the rest of the mission regardless.

The medal should be Thin Men Umbrella. Since you got it for surviving Thin men.
Edit: And the +1 Aim and Will for each no casualty mission. It is a better and more versatile bonus. So the medal can go to any soldier instead of snipers.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Ah yes, the secondary heart causing bleed outs as a guarantee over kills. Forgot about that. That makes his post make perfect sense. I didn't know what gene mode he meant nor which con to the revive list he was saying it countered.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Irrelevant. You mean irrelevant.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You can't not name the mech "Tech Support"

YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Ragnar "No-limbs" Tiny Turtle
Nittien "Uutalbar" Stopmperud
The council obviously awards the Champion Bootlicker Prize, giving Aim and Will. First one goes to Tiny Turtle, in recognition of the one controllable appendage that will remain for him.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

But with that name he'll just die off-screen. :v:

drat. Good point. He'll have a cool action figure, though!

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Edit: pages! :arghfist:

Other people translated a hurried post into legibility.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 14, 2014

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009
gently caress PORTENT

I don't even blame you a little for cheesing it.

I vote +Aim & +Will, because I also value will over crit. Nothing really standing out to me for the badge name.

I've experimented a bit with those two skill choices for the heavy and support, and I find I prefer the Rifle Suppression on the support, and the Shredder Rocket on the Heavy. There are a lot of situations later in the game where accuracy becomes an issue even with Colonels, or potential damage output will not kill an enemy in one turn that threatens a soldier. So I take Rifle Suppression and give them at least a -30 aim. One support smoke grenading your squad and another support suppressing a target with their rifle is pretty wonderful for insuring you don't get murdered!

Shredder Rocket also ups the potential damage on targets, and another ability (although nerfed in EW) helps the rocket further against certain enemies. An extra explosion never* hurts, either.

As much as I loved Cknoor's Bloodbowl run and Ragnar, I second Tech Support for the Mech name. :golfclap: It made me giggle.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I figured I'd try to get toolboks and revenge of the sleeves working and only just got toolboks in. Is it not possible to change soldier nationalities with toolboks? Was going to make Tiny Icelandic and Nittien Norwegian.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Jade Star posted:

Tactical Sense vs Aggression

This is a straight out offense versus defense skill pick. +5 Defense fro every enemy you see (up to +20 defense) or +10 critical chance per enemy you see (up to +30%). My thoughts are that defense keeps people alive. No Assault that is dead have ever landed a critical hit. I'm willing to admit this isn't an entirely one sided choice, +5 defense isn't a lot, but every bit helps, and when you see 4 aliens then Tactical Sense provides as much defense as low cover does. If Aggression was +10 or even +5 Aim instead of critical chance then I think it would have been a much harder choice between the two.

Tactical Sense
+ Useful every time you get shot at.

Aggression
+ Useful every time you shoot at something.

There isn't a whole lot to this skill choice. It's one of the very few plain and balanced options. For me it comes down to the fact I value 5 defense more than 10 critical chance. Players with more aggressive styles than me (Guava) may well want to choose Aggression to ensure the critical hit needed to kill a tougher enemy. My style is more defensive and I will favor the defense every time.

Another point against extra crit: Crit is inherently random, and you generally you don't take shots unless you know they'll do the job, no crit required. You'll never have a plan for your turn that includes "Soldier X must crit against Alien Y" - even if you've got an aggressive play style.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

DatonKallandor posted:

Another point against extra crit: Crit is inherently random

To a point. With an assault you can stack enough crit chance on something to push it up to 100%. Flanking is 60%, Aggression is 10% per, Shotguns get some inherent crit chance as well, Killer Instinct is +50% chance, coming out of being cloaked is... +30%? Not sure, they changed that one. If you go and make dealing crits a focus point you can engineer situations where an assault will have 100% crit chances.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

DatonKallandor posted:

Another point against extra crit: Crit is inherently random, and you generally you don't take shots unless you know they'll do the job, no crit required. You'll never have a plan for your turn that includes "Soldier X must crit against Alien Y" - even if you've got an aggressive play style.

So is defense. You could have 90 defense and still get shot. Same with crit, you could have 90% crit and still fail to do so. So it's not a bonus for or against either. It's just the nature of the game.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The Council Medal kind of looks like a frog. The gap between the upper two stars and the nameplate makes its "mouth". Have it grant +1 Will and Aim and name it the Medal of Frogdom, because Presidential Medal of Frogdom is probably too much to fit.

I also propose that you should name your soldiers Nitten "Mittens" Stomperud and Ragnar "Rock" Tinyturtle.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
From the moment I saw the nickname the game chose for Ragnar Tiny Turtle I knew he should be nicknamed Terrapin.

Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~
Anyone who earns my medal has to receive it via high-velocity railgun directly in the anus.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Ragnar "Tinnitus" TinyTurtle

Nittien "Børk Børk Børk" Stomperud

The Medal of Honour should be +Aim and Will, and named L. H. Oswald Merit Badge

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Things X-Com has done to me today:

3 soldiers missed 90% + shots all in a row. They all died in subsequent turns due to a panic cascade leading to the uncovering of two more enemy packs.

My newly promoted Assault with Tactical Sense and the Urban Combat medal (+5 def in cover)died while in hard cover to a crit from a sectoid after rampaging across the map and racking up at least 5 kills.

Portent killed my A-Team, and with it, the X-Com Project. Again.

Ironman Classic, of course.

:xcom:

marlinspike
Aug 7, 2010
call it the rectum occupation service medal

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Personally, I think a big point against with Tactical Sense is that it requires visual contact with the enemy. With few exceptions, if your soldier can see an alien, the alien can see your soldier. And on higher difficulties, if an alien can see your soldier, that soldier is dead. +20 defense isn't going to do poo poo when you've got at least 4 aliens with LOS on your soldier. If you've got that many aliens on you, you're probably better off putting your soldier behind concealment. On the other hand, Aggression indirectly helps keep your soldiers alive by helping to reduce the number of guns pointed at them.

e: Tactical Sense also doesn't help at all against grenades and melee attackers. Aggression does, by killing them.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 14, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
All of you are going to feel really bad later on if we don't name our first MEC Laputan Machine.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Council medal should be called "The X-Com Paradox" because people should be dying in X-Com, not surviving.

The only weapons choice I care about is Shredder Rockets because more rockets more explosions less cover for ITZ.

Make the God drat mech "Tech Support"

Edit: Ragnar "Jadestar's BFF" Tinyturtle or Ragnar "gently caress Guava" Tinyturtle

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 14, 2014

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Zeroisanumber posted:

All of you are going to feel really bad later on if we don't name our first MEC Laputan Machine.

Be careful what you wish for: sometimes you want a machine to give you orange and it gives you lemon-lime.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm a gunslinger man, born and bred.

With all buffs, a gunslinger plasma pistol is nearly as good as a plasma rifle. Don't have to move snipers too often, but it's nice to still get some use on those turns.

It's 10 aim when the sniper's useful already versus a backup plan if things go to poo poo. I really prefer a backup plan. Plus, it's a much better functional aim bonus in close quarters. When my sniper's a mile away, he's safe anyway. Up close, the rifle aim penalty is a pain.

As for Tactical Sense, I'm sentimental towards it. Have been since it kept my best assault alive through a turn when he got cornered by somewhere around half a dozen thin men. Colonel Thompson would not die.

Voting?

Nova Hyperion for our first MEC. If the game has decided Tiny Turtle is Korean, he should get the Korean Jaeger. Just common sense.

The medal should be the Star of Adequacy (Not actually a star).

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The medal should be the Dr. Lily Takakumi Haiku Composition Excellence Award.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not Flatlander Woman?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

Not Flatlander Woman?

Sure, if it's female.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Nova Hyperion for our first MEC. If the game has decided Tiny Turtle is Korean, he should get the Korean Jaeger. Just common sense.

The medal should be the Star of Adequacy (Not actually a star).

Changing my vote to Nova Hyperion. Keeps with the theme I was going for while being more appropriate for the specific soldier.

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
Ragnar "Robocop" Tinyturtle
Nittien "Huscarl" Stomperud

Also, the medal should be the Aim and Will version, and call it the John Madden Lifetime Achievement Award.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

kaiten80 posted:

Ragnar "Robocop" Tinyturtle

Also, the medal should be the Aim and Will version, and call it the John Madden Lifetime Achievement Award.

I'm with this one all the way. Especially Huscarl.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Can the MEC be "TONKA TOUGH? Because he may be Tiny, but he's built Tonka Tough.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Aim and will for the medal.

Ragnar "Lodbrok" Tiny Turtle

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Personally, I prefer to take Gunslinger on my first Sniper since it's useful early on while drat Good Ground is hard to exploit. After I get Skeleton Suits or better, I swap over to my second sniper who takes DGG, while my Gunslinger becomes my infiltration expert with Battle Scanner for use when I am dealing with a certain group of Bad People Who Need Killing. The extra bonus to Pistols really helps him when he's forced to rely on nothing but his sidearm.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think the aim and will medal is pretty clearly the better choice, which is why I'd like for you to select the forever alone medal instead.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

The Council Medal of Honor should obviously be renamed Kill-Securer Merit Badge. For nicknames Húscarl and Cherno Alpha seem like solid choices.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Since you're not playing with training roulette, should questions about possible ridiculous builds and which skills get swapped around be asked in the general X-Com thread?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
In honor of the gentlemen who present this LP I have a few nickname suggestions:

Honorificabilitudinitatibus

Quetzalcoatl

Muvaffakiyetsizleştirici ("Maker of unsuccessful ones" in Turkish)

Humu­humunuku­nuku­āpuaʻa A very aggressive reef fish known for taking bites out of people.

I think anyone would be proud to lead soldiers with such fearsome honorifics into battle.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Is it not possible to change soldier nationalities with toolboks? Was going to make Tiny Icelandic and Nittien Norwegian.
No, Toolboks's save editor functionality hasn't been updated yet (I kinda doubt if it ever will). What you can do in Toolboks change the nationality & gender probability of new recruits.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I guess I'll just repost myself.

quote:

The only acceptable nickname for Nittien Stomperud would be that "Nittien" is his nickname and "August" is his first name. Might be helping Jade Star a bit too.

Alternatively, her nickname could even be No. 91.

For Ragnar Tiny Turtle, I think Viking is a neat choice considering his complexion and yellow beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Tony "Kill Securer" White is doing good work.

With regards to Tac Sense vs. Aggression, once you step up to Impossible then Aggression becomes the logical choice - -5 to the enemy's hit odds achieves very little if you're not hunkered down, and if you are hunkered down then you can't see them anyway. And if you're letting multiple people see you (and thus get shots on you) you're even more boned. Compare with Aggression, which even at its worst is +10% insurance against a low damage roll, and at its best can push your crit chance up to the point where you can consider a crit "reliable". That's very specific to how much Impossible changes the dynamics of a straight-up firefight though, and on Classic and below Tac Sense makes a lot more sense, especially in the early game.

• Locked thread