Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

dijon du jour posted:

You know what you must now do. You must rid the world of DSP forever.

Find out where he lives.

And put a minor obstacle in front of his house.

I know exactly where he lives. :(

Funnily enough, this information was made available through his fans, not the people that hate him. His critics know where to draw the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BMS posted:

I can dig that. Never fault anybody for asking for some feedback to help improve, be it positive or negative. It just gets really old seeing a video with a constant annotation that shouts out "LIKE, COMMENT, AND SUB!" (on the subject, I guess that is what "sub4sub" evolved into?). But a little note at the end of the video asking for feedback is different.

A change of venue. I'm not sure if this has been discussed in length or not, but late last year there was quite an uprising against "AdBlock" by some YTers griping that it was taking money away from content creators. Most of these people stating that if you use adblock, there's a very good chance that your favorite YouTuber will lose money, not be able to pay his bills, be forced to go out and get a normal job, preventing them from uploading and thus...you'd be responsible for the downfall of YouTube in general...or something like that.

Here's a prime example. Some fellow by the name of ZybakTV plays Call of Duty for 9 minutes, while discussing that adblock is asking for donations. If you actually listen to this guy, he seems to think that Adblock asking for donations is like Satan asking for funding. Also, that money should go to content creators, not Adblock! You know, the kind of content creators that record some game footage published by a company, slap some commentary on it, and upload to YT!

I guess we should all support the cause, yo.

Not that I agree with him, but he is doing more then the people watching him, at least.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Jamesman posted:

I know exactly where he lives. :(

Funnily enough, this information was made available through his fans, not the people that hate him. His critics know where to draw the line.

Okay here's what you need to do:
Go to his house when he's not home and tape a note to the do that just says "PLAY BAD RATS." Keep doing that for a month until he caves in and finally discovers what a bullshit game really is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

Go to his house when he's not home and tape a note to the do that just says "PLAY BAD RATS." Keep doing that for a month until he caves in and finally discovers what a bullshit game really is.

If he does this what will end up happening is DSP will miraculously solve every level on the first try. And then he will be the King of Rats.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

David D. Davidson posted:

But all he does is play videogames I don't think he ever leaves his house.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Mr DJB posted:

I can't remember who exactly (it might be TotalBiscuit) but there's one YouTube person I know who ends their video with "If you enjoyed this video, please like and subscribe, if you felt it was lacking, please leave a comment telling me how I can improve."

I can totally get behind that poo poo. Considering that dislikes and negative comments (bafflingly) give you the same amount of exposure on YouTube, the least you can do there is give your viewers an incentive to help you improve. It shows that you give a poo poo and don't need constant positive reinforcement.

I find it amusing if it was TB that said that, considering he's part of a coalition of youtubers that have been boycotting Youtube comments for the past 3 months or so, calling the comment system cancerous and that it'll hurt earnings so on. Maybe I don't watch too many high profile people but I felt that the comment abuse that happened when Google+ was first introduced only lasted about 2 weeks or so and has significantly died down.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If I remember correctly TotalBiscuit was getting so stressed by comments on his videos that his doctor told him to not read them. Maybe their all trying to improve their general health?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

If I remember correctly TotalBiscuit was getting so stressed by comments on his videos that his doctor told him to not read them. Maybe their all trying to improve their general health?

He actually has a video explaining why. I don't know if comments have gotten better since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTspUNj-4w

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Oh jeez, that puts things into perspective. I didn't think e-fame could do that kinda stuff but I guess not everyone can shrug dumb comments off too easily.

slowbeef posted:

He actually has a video explaining why. I don't know if comments have gotten better since then.

That's where I got what I said in my previous comments from. No idea he had health issues though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
He actually has comments turned off ever since the g+ debacle.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

slowbeef posted:

The thing I was talking about was from a couple years ago. I can't really understand what he's trying to make a point about in this. The comments on YouTube were always a cesspool, there's nothing G+ integration did that changed much there, lovely comments with likes and replies always rose to the top, there was always bad comments in general and he's now acting like this is new?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

The thing I was talking about was from a couple years ago. I can't really understand what he's trying to make a point about in this. The comments on YouTube were always a cesspool, there's nothing G+ integration did that changed much there, lovely comments with likes and replies always rose to the top, there was always bad comments in general and he's now acting like this is new?

Remember Bob and his army?

HGH posted:

Oh jeez, that puts things into perspective. I didn't think e-fame could do that kinda stuff but I guess not everyone can shrug dumb comments off too easily.

The best example of this would be the guy who made Flappy Bird taking the game down because it got too popular and attracted gamer attention. Which means demands from fans and hate mail from detractors. Also, angry gamer bile.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

The best example of this would be the guy who made Flappy Bird taking the game down because it got too popular and attracted gamer attention. Which means demands from fans and hate mail from detractors. Also, angry gamer bile.

Actually, I see this as simply amazing. One of the rare examples of somebody not taking themselves so serious by worrying about their "online rep", and loving with the public...mostly just because they can. Which in turn produces some of the most hilarious content available on the internet. People flipping the gently caress out because they were insulted, or deprived of something over the internet. Mostly over a bunch of junk that counts for zip in the real world, and counts for even less on the internet, yet they're more likely to respond harsher over the internet (I'd wager due to the anonymity factor). Retsupurae proved this when they first started, and the best part about the early RP's were the responses people would pop off with. Everything from death threats, to multiple 10 minute long rant videos, where the offended LPer would spaz the gently caress out....OVER VIDEO GAMES. Of course, Retsupurae became popular, and people eventually caught on that it was just for fun, and most let it slide now with little response. But, there's still a ton of meaningless BS out there that you can poke just a little fun at, and people will still spaz out completely on you for it. So personally, I say bravo to Mr. Flappy Bird-Man Guy. He stirred up a bit of a reaction that once again, shows that the majority of people on the internet are complete morons, which is pretty funny to watch.

As for TotalBiscuit actually having health problems due to YOUTUBE comments....that....if that's actually true, that would lead one to think there's some borderline (at the least) mental problems going on there. But then again, isn't he the guy that posted on here that he had an IQ of 138 or something? poo poo man, rise above it.

Seriously though, he should thank his lucky stars he's in Europe, I mean, I highly doubt that if he were an American LPer going to the Doctor for Comment Injury, that that poo poo would be covered under Obamacare. :911:

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
It's like Diabetus always says, people shouldn't get so worked up over silly Internet videos.

I would be interested in hearing someone who does this for a living talk about it here. I remember a few Retsutalks ago Slowbeef said that AllshamNowow posts here. Would be worth it to hear someone talk about dealing with it.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

BMS posted:

Seriously though, he should thank his lucky stars he's in Europe, I mean, I highly doubt that if he were an American LPer going to the Doctor for Comment Injury, that that poo poo would be covered under Obamacare. :911:

...TB lives in North Carolina.

And it wasn't just the comments, it was a lot of other poo poo, and the comments just made it worse.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

BMS posted:

As for TotalBiscuit actually having health problems due to YOUTUBE comments....that....if that's actually true, that would lead one to think there's some borderline (at the least) mental problems going on there. But then again, isn't he the guy that posted on here that he had an IQ of 138 or something? poo poo man, rise above it.

I think he has a condition that exacerbates it, but really anyone who produces content for the general public needs to have a relatively thick skin. There are a lot of people out there willing to tell you that your content is poo poo and you need to die, for no particular reason.

Sometimes even if you know a complaint is bullshit it still nags at you for a little while - if you're honest with yourself. (edit: introspective is the word I was looking for) By this I mean that some people go "lalala everything I believe is correct, gently caress you!", and others try to find an objective truth. Game reviewers would probably tend to fall more into the latter group. So it isn't all about having a thick skin necessarily, you also have to improve while not letting negativity impact your mood.

That said, I don't know why he didn't just hire someone to read his comments for him, and pass on any important feedback. A third-party proxy seems like it would be invaluable to someone who makes a large amount of money off YouTube content. We live in a world where some people will have a vendetta against you if you say something bad about their favorite game, and reading that garbage doesn't help anyone.

unfair fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 9, 2014

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

That's the thing that gets me the most about custom thumbnails, they can be or are a helpful thing in finding more content quickly. My issue is that for everyone uses them so people can find more content from that series there are 12 YouTubers who paste their face into the thumbnail so you can find more of their other content based on what they look like.

If you're not already watching every video as it comes out (If not; what's wrong with you?) these thumbnails tell you everything you need to know about the video while letting you know it is the same person due to the overlays and filters and text style and whatnot. This is a good thing.

Then you have this poo poo. Some of these don't even have the name of the game or episode number or anything in the thumbnail, just the face of the person playing.

I'm not super fond of people inserting their faces onto the thumbnails and it's a pretty dead give away that yeah, it's all about them and how "zany" and whatever their over the top one trick ponied personality they have that the masses of young folk on YouTube just slurp up for whatever reason. I personally usually try to have some custom artwork made for my thumbnails just because I like trying to make things look fancy, another person who gets some really nice thumbnails made is SSoH usually getting beautifully drawn images of him as the character rather than inserting actual images of himself, to me at least it seems way less asinine and I do applaud the artist who does his.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

RareAcumen posted:

Remember Bob and his army?

Uh... These people know if you already have it downloaded it's still going to be playable, right?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

big duck equals goose posted:

Uh... These people know if you already have it downloaded it's still going to be playable, right?

Misery loves company.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I have no idea why this didn't get posted here, but a few days ago Total Biscuit had a total goddamn breakdown because of mean comments. Dude needs to relax a little bit.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

He's kind of an arrogant at times, and he certainly , but when your job is to talk about video games for the internet and every time you do it you get a thousand people telling you to go die, that's gotta be pretty loving horrible. It's a huge amount of stress, and it sounds like he already has other problems and that's making it far worse. I think it's hard to begrudge the occasional post like that for someone who puts up with that poo poo all day every day for doing something they enjoy or think is worth doing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MooCowlian posted:

He's kind of an arrogant at times, and he certainly , but when your job is to talk about video games for the internet and every time you do it you get a thousand people telling you to go die, that's gotta be pretty loving horrible. It's a huge amount of stress, and it sounds like he already has other problems and that's making it far worse. I think it's hard to begrudge the occasional post like that for someone who puts up with that poo poo all day every day for doing something they enjoy or think is worth doing.

He knows the solution: Don't read the comments. He turned comments off on his videos already and for some reason knows that people are going to say the same things to him after every video, but he reads them anyways knowing people have negative opinions.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The national language of the Internet is exaggeration - if I had a dime for the amount of times I've been told I should kill myself or will suffer some sort of bodily harm through whoever is talking to me on the Internet, I could have myself a fuckin' sweet time at a local arcade (read: about five to ten bucks, after a while it just blurs together) and completely forget about all of those because the god drat pinball is still broken and the operator just doesn't care. As somebody that has had a lot of contact with people on the Internet, he should know that everything on there attracts an extraordinary amount of bile that will only have an impact if you take it too seriously, and the way he takes it too seriously sounds like a psychological problem. I'm not even armchair psychoanalyzing here when I say he needs professional help:

quote:

I'm seriously hosed in the head and I have been for a very long time. I CANNOT stop reading feedback. I can't just leave comments. I gave my Twitter to my staff months ago to try and stop me from reading it, which actually worked surprisingly. Turning off Youtube comments was great and for a while the subreddit was small enough and friendly enough that I could actually handle dealing with it. Now I dread reading it every morning and I CAN'T STOP MYSELF. God how many times have I tried to "get better?" over the last few years? Every time it's loving failed, every time and I hate myself for it.

There is no way I can read this in which this sounds healthy. He knows the comments will be nasty, he knows reading the comments is the problem, he's taken precautions to not read the comments, and yet he breaks those precautions and reads them anyway. It almost sounds like an addiction of some sort (I know this is hurting me and I'm trying to stop, but I just can't).

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
It's easy to call him silly for taking it too seriously, but at the end of the day, it must be a pretty lovely situation to be in. lovely comments would just be water off my back, personally, but he's obviously got some problem that exacerbates it. I mean, even if he stopped reading any comments anywhere, they'd still be out there. Watching. Waiting.

I guess what I mean to say is that when you're self-conscious, it's very easy to become paranoid about what people think of you, and you feel like you absolutely have to know because knowing is better than all the stuff you come up with yourself. When it's literally your job to entertain people, and the only feedback you get is about how terrible you are at everything, yeah I can totally understand what he's going through.

Saith fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 14, 2014

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

TotalBiscuit also used to post on the forums and he made one of the funniest posts I've seen on here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2634792

Anyway, other then that, would Giant Bomb's Endurance Runs count for this thread? Because their Persona 4 playthrough is one of the best things, and probably the only video playthrough I can watch of a JRPG.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

There are a few dozen YouTubers who probably get more negative comments per video than TB does. Hell, there's a genre of YouTube videos that are just supercuts of DarkSydePhil sucking at games. Somehow, those people don't end up having mental and physical problems because of mean internet comments.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
That's probably because they already have a mental condition. Just a different one.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

FrickenMoron posted:

That's probably because they already have a mental condition. Just a different one.

Im seconding this. Phil Burnell needs actual loving help, while TB just needs a long break. He probably cant afford to, but he needs it. I don't like the guy's stuff, and he seems a bit douchey at times (that post above, loving hell.) but he seems like a nice guy who is being driven into a corner.

I produce LP content on the side, and ive gotten some messages that make me feel fuckin' amazing. But the ones that drag you down and make you feel like poo poo are the ones that stick. Im talking staying awake at night, thinking about it "stick".

Critism is one thing, but when people spend a paragraph telling you that they know where you live, and how they are going to kill you- it loving gets to you.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
If you can't handle negative criticism, the last thing you should be do is be a prominent figure who specializes in humorous commentary - especially on the internet. Non-constructive criticism on the internet is pretty dumb but a part of life in this medium and he's been around long enough to know that full well. I really don't have a ton of sympathy for this relatively recent outburst. If he's legitimately and uncontrollably obsessed with this, he really ought to talk to someone and work the problem out because it's not something he should really focus on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sounds like a sort of self-destructive tendency, and while fortunately I'm not as famous as TB so I don't have to deal with morons, I can sympathise with his plight because I sometimes find myself compulsively and habitually doing things I know aren't good for me mentally and even though the voice in my head screams "no", I have to fulfil that morbid curiosity and it never works out well. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy of bad news, and it's incredibly hard to break once it has its claws in you.

I'm not a fan of his stuff, but I wish him only the best and I think he should probably go see a mental health professional and try to learn how to kill those thoughts that drive him into doing these things he knows aren't good for him. If he every figures out how to stop those to the best of his ability, he should be able to start functioning on a regular level without having to worry about driving himself insane.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Aurain posted:

Sounds like a sort of self-destructive tendency, and while fortunately I'm not as famous as TB so I don't have to deal with morons, I can sympathise with his plight because I sometimes find myself compulsively and habitually doing things I know aren't good for me mentally and even though the voice in my head screams "no", I have to fulfil that morbid curiosity and it never works out well. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy of bad news, and it's incredibly hard to break once it has its claws in you.

Being inquisitive and social isn't innately self-destructive, it's the venomous attitude of some people on the Internet that makes normal human interaction toxic. Combine that with hateful comments usually mattering more than ten times as many fans singing your praises and it can be stressful.

I have a feeling that most of the people dismissing his reaction either haven't tried to make content for an audience, or haven't had appropriately vile comments directed their way. It bothers most people with normal social skills, but takes a while to really break you down. Some people deal with it by sticking to an echo chamber of reassuring fans, others just occasionally lose their temper.

At this point I don't think even a break will help him - he just got back from a cruise. He just needs someone to step in and filter out all the trivial bullshit and give him the interesting conversations/comments. Anything less is probably just a question of how long it takes him to implode.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No, it's not innately self-destructive, it is when you know it's not good for you though. That's the point I was making.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
I feel like the main issue for TotalBiscuit and many of these Youtubers in general is that Youtube became a full time gig. I got Youtube comments about things they wanted to see, and, since I did that on the side (and if/when I get back into it, it will still be on the side) my response was, I'll take a look into it, but if you want to leave over that issue, I don't give a poo poo in the end. For a full time Youtuber, though, its like when you get a bad review at work, or a bad grade or whatever and it seems to split like we would at work after evaluations. I'm sure we all know people who act like DSP and think that anything they do wrong is just people messing with them or someone not liking them.

When it comes down to it, when people overreact to the absolute poo poo that people on the internet put out, it should not be surprising, since these are like their performance reviews.

By this comment, I do not mean that TotalBiscuit does not have issues when he takes things that hard, but, I certainly am not surprised that there are people like him out there. I'm no doctor, but I would be willing to guess he has some sort of OCPD or something similar.

And I still think being a Youtube personality full time is stupid and not sustainable.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Brassherald posted:

For a full time Youtuber, though, its like when you get a bad review at work, or a bad grade or whatever and it seems to split like we would at work after evaluations. I'm sure we all know people who act like DSP and think that anything they do wrong is just people messing with them or someone not liking them.

When it comes down to it, when people overreact to the absolute poo poo that people on the internet put out, it should not be surprising, since these are like their performance reviews.

It's less like a performance review and more like having a room full of hecklers where each time you shut down one heckler, 20 more stream in. Quality of production online has almost nothing to do with quality of feedback, and big names get this sort of response whether or not they're actually any good at what they do; I doubt there is a single relatively well-known person online that doesn't get constant vitriol, in literally any area, not just Youtube or LPs. It's dumb, and just because it's that way everywhere on the Internet doesn't make it any less dumb.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Brassherald posted:

For a full time Youtuber, though, its like when you get a bad review at work, or a bad grade or whatever and it seems to split like we would at work after evaluations.

It's like that, plus if all your co-workers told you how stupid you were as you walked in the door every day. Doesn't matter if he has a 155 IQ, repeat something enough and you can make people question reality. (or at least put them in a bad mood from being poked at constantly)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I noticed y'all were talking about totalbiscuit and I just wanted to say

he deserves all the poo poo he gets

all of it

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I don't really get how somebody can have such an ego and be so insecure at the same time. Or has it really gotten to the point where the internet has somehow torn apart TB's ego and replaced it with nothing but self-loathing? Because in some bizarre way, that's kind of impressive. Wouldn't have guessed that internet comments could completely gently caress over a guy's psyche like that, especially a guy who seemed quite secure in his superiority.

For lack of a better comparison, look at Doug Walker. When he did his Nostalgia Critic "Let's Play Bart's Nightmare" video, he got loving crucified for it. Only his most die-hard fans weren't tearing into him for this, and it produced one of the most venomous Retsupuraes ever, if not the most. And what happened? He accepted he hosed up hard and didn't understand the subject matter, went over his mistakes in one of his "fuckup roundup" videos and moved on, vowing to not make that mistake again. He's accepting of criticism, because he realizes that if you want to dish out criticism, you've got to be able to take it too - his only problem is with how some people bring out their criticism, and even then, all that lead to is that he mocked those people with his Douchey McNitpick character.

Meanwhile, TB is freaking out because of comments on-par with "it was painful to watch" or "it was cringeworthy"? Come on, I think I got criticism that felt harsher that when I made my first LP!

There has to be some sort of psychological disorder here, it's just a matter of figuring out which one.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I think part of it is that he makes his living off of youtube. And it loving terrifies him that it could be taken away at any moment. That's why he's so for Youtube content producer rights. The comments just serve to reinforce that idea.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The poo poo about his guise of the wolf video taken down has exploded into a whole different level too, the creators claim he photoshopped an email from them.

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/434471932147556352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FrickenMoron posted:

the creators claim he photoshopped an email from them.

The font changing between paragraphs is a little suss, but who even knows these days.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NqXWgqtx1M

:iiam:

• Locked thread