Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I fear cutting colonial range would only give an even bigger advantage to the grabby Iberian duo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

This is still going on years later and I've stored over 100 influence.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I think part of the problem is that as soon as you have a colony up and running, which doesn't take very long, your range takes a huge jump forward and so it only takes two or three colonies and you could be colonizing anywhere on the Atlantic. It might help to slow things down by giving new colonies modifiers - something like "Small Colony; -90% colonization range from here" for new colonies, twenty year old colonies get "Large Colony; -50% colonization range from here" and thirty year old colonies remove the penalty. Or something like that - it would definitely slow down rushing around Africa and so on, though I don't know if it would cause more problems or not.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

Increase colony cost or slow colony growth. Maybe decrease the rate that naval tech increases colonial range as well?

If you want to boost non-Iberian (non-Norwegian) colonization then slowing colonial range growth is totally counterproductive. The only advantage those guys have is being really close to the New World (well, and being predisposed to Exploration ideas) and the faster colonial range grows the faster everyone else is within range of the coast.

Something that might work is making colonization really nasty at first - extremely expensive and very slow - and then give diplo tech modifiers to slowly cut the rates down to the current rates. Or perhaps make range an actual factor in colonization besides being an initial roadblock by scaling cost and speed with distance from capital. That way, if you formed Malaysia for example you could easily colonize the Pacific islands, but Portugal/Spain/etc. would have a much harder time getting a foothold. Since the AI won't colonize with non-European nations this keeps everything historical-ish if you're playing in Europe but lets you diverge from history as a RotW nation - and cuts down on Portuguese Vladivostok.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of increasing the cost, not lowering the range. Maybe tweak the formula so that colony cost increases with each new colony? The goal would be to allow any nation to colonize a little while preventing Spain and Portugal from gobbling up the entire Americas at once. Alternative would be to require your agent to stay at the colony until it's finished instead of recalling him home at for the tradeoff of slower colony growth. I don't like that method as much, however, because I prefer game design that expands your choices, not restricts them.

edit: A fun system that would require a lot more work would be something like "colonial power" akin to trade power. Colonial power flows in nodes FROM your capital towards empty provinces. You can spend colonial power at a node to grow your colony. Multiple countries could spend colonial power at the same node, only locking down the colony when it reaches 1000 people, kind of like Victoria 2 does now with the outpost system. Colonial power would be increased or pushed further with ideas, colonist agents akin to merchants, and supply fleets.

So Portugal and Castille would have a hard time pushing colonial power all the way around the world, allowing the locals a better chance to pick up land close to them. Russia would be able to project colonial power across Siberia instead of all the way around Africa, India, and China, allowing for a much easier time colonizing the Pacific.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 15, 2014

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Poil posted:

If you're not supposed to win the hundred year wars as England why don't they just add a -1000 penalty to any peace deal where France doesn't reclaim their territory? :sweatdrop:

The day you can no longer win the HYW without exploits is the day I'll ask that we rebalance it. Until then, it's a great testing laboratory for AI exploits.

Also see: Byzantium, Ottomans.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Um, why did my colony suddenly get absorbed by a different colony? All of (Russian, Orthodox) California suddenly turned into British Columbia. We weren't at war, no events fired, BC isn't a free nation, and the only reason I was told is because I'm now the neighbor of BC, which gave me a casus belli.

EDIT: The province history for all the provinces says they were occupied by California, then liberated from occupation, then annexed by BC on the same day.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 15, 2014

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Wiz posted:

The day you can no longer win the HYW without exploits is the day I'll ask that we rebalance it. Until then, it's a great testing laboratory for AI exploits.

Is there any explanation still pending as to why certain underdog states like Novgorod and Songhai were nerfed while Najd and others were buffed? Inherent imbalances regarding position don't really seem to be valid excuses, considering how much stronger their Russian or Ottoman counterpart is and will be naturally.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Actually, there are female rulers defined in history, and an is_female trigger. From ENG's history:
The negative sign by the chance for ruler names indicates that it's for women, too.

Kajeesus posted:

Follow-up: Is there a way to create colony nations on my own? I've basically settled the Phillipines, but nothing's forming on its own. California was basically instant, though.
There are mods that set up colonial regions for the entire world.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Winning the 100yw without using exploits should be possible, but the one thing I wish they'd look at is prolific Iberian colonisation.
It's because they're closer to everyone else and there are so few potential colonizers to begin with. France and England have to travel significantly farther than they ever had to because of the map projection.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It's because they're closer to everyone else and there are so few potential colonizers to begin with. France and England have to travel significantly farther than they ever had to because of the map projection.

I know why they have the advantage, I just want there to be a way to suppress it without hamstringing their normal colonisation.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
For reigning in the super-colonizers and tweaking the colonist system, how about this:

The base settler rate and % chance for bonus settlers are decreased slightly. However, there's a new group of mutually exclusive buildings available in colonies that boost the colony's growth and give special benefits to the matured colony. For example:

Plantation - +25 settlers per year, +1 base tax
Garrison - +25 settlers per year, +1000 base manpower
Trading Post - +25 settlers per year, +10% goods produced
Penal Colony - +40 settlers per year

These would all cost a small amount of gold and monarch points, maybe 10 of each similar to the special Native American buildings. This would accomplish two things--force the colonizing nation to pay a "premium" cost for faster colonization, but in exchange you get more specialized colonies.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Do buildings increase the DIP cost for culture conversions or is it just the base unmodified province tax?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The latter.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cantorsdust posted:

edit: A fun system that would require a lot more work would be something like "colonial power" akin to trade power. Colonial power flows in nodes FROM your capital towards empty provinces. You can spend colonial power at a node to grow your colony. Multiple countries could spend colonial power at the same node, only locking down the colony when it reaches 1000 people, kind of like Victoria 2 does now with the outpost system. Colonial power would be increased or pushed further with ideas, colonist agents akin to merchants, and supply fleets.
Would be pretty different conceptually from how it's done now, but this sounds like it could be really cool. I think it would make sense to have local development be part of the flow as well though, so building up your colonies would allow more Colonial Power to flow through them. Actually, local power might be a pretty good way to slow down colonization a bit, by having unlocking the next region/zone require a certain total local power in the region closer to your capital.* (Which could be increased through ideas, colonial agents, supply fleets, and especially buildings.) On top of that, perhaps at a certain fraction of the required power, one would be able to built forts in the region, which would function as claims and paint the province your color, and which would reduce the required local colonial power over time. (Scouting of the land making further colonization much easier.) The same forts would of course be open to be seized by the enemy.

*Talking inland regions here primarily.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Would be pretty different conceptually from how it's done now, but this sounds like it could be really cool. I think it would make sense to have local development be part of the flow as well though, so building up your colonies would allow more Colonial Power to flow through them. Actually, local power might be a pretty good way to slow down colonization a bit, by having unlocking the next region/zone require a certain total local power in the region closer to your capital.* (Which could be increased through ideas, colonial agents, supply fleets, and especially buildings.) On top of that, perhaps at a certain fraction of the required power, one would be able to built forts in the region, which would function as claims and paint the province your color, and which would reduce the required local colonial power over time. (Scouting of the land making further colonization much easier.) The same forts would of course be open to be seized by the enemy.

*Talking inland regions here primarily.

I really like the idea of multi-phase colonization like you're proposing. Part of the problem is that a finished colony is exactly like a noncolonial province - if it took a lot longer to go from uncolonized province to full province, with stages along the way like frontier, fortified frontier, etc. and have only full provinces be able to project colonial range, the interiors would be colonized a lot less quickly.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Is there any reliable way to do anything with the "Rely more on trade income" missions? I always have enough trade ships so that it balances out the penalty for being over the naval forcelimit, but this mission seems kind of dumb seeing as there's no clear way to increase trade income in relation to taxes/production.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the colonies ever rebelled at least one (1) single time throughout the entire game it would make colonization and the American game much better. I honestly don't understand how a colony can try for independence since even if conquer the entirety of the European territory of a metropolis the colony will still swear totaly loyalty to the Azores\Bermuda\Canary Island government in exile.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the Portuguese in Siberia problematic but i really wished the colonies were more challenging to rule over.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Spanish and Portugal having such huge swaths of land in the new world also makes colonial rebellions more likely to fail even if they were to happen. As soon as a colony rebels all of the troops from the surrounding still loyal colonies will just dog pile them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Odobenidae posted:

Is there any reliable way to do anything with the "Rely more on trade income" missions? I always have enough trade ships so that it balances out the penalty for being over the naval forcelimit, but this mission seems kind of dumb seeing as there's no clear way to increase trade income in relation to taxes/production.

So don't take that mission. There are lots of dumb missions with difficult requirements and/or meager rewards. You don't always have to have a mission active.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

So don't take that mission. There are lots of dumb missions with difficult requirements and/or meager rewards. You don't always have to have a mission active.

I've taken the mission once before, I think during my very first game, but I'm just curious as to why it even exists if there's really nothing you can do to complete it.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I hope the next expansion makes Trade Routes more exploitable. I'd like to have the flow reversible perhaps, so if you play in India as a trade power, you could redirect the actual flow of trade towards you as an endpoint instead of Amsterdam. I don't know how possible engine-wise that is though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fister Roboto posted:

Protect Against Austria: Have more regiments than Austria (234).

:negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Reward: 5 Prestige

Odobenidae posted:

I've taken the mission once before, I think during my very first game, but I'm just curious as to why it even exists if there's really nothing you can do to complete it.

Almost every mission is copy/pasted from EU3 with only a handful of changes and little regard for how they work with the new systems.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Reward: 5 Prestige

Oddly enough, I think it was actually 3 prestige.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

I usually take these missions and they usually pop when they get into a war.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I do the same, because that's a hilarious way to complete a mission, but they're still basically pointless. I'll earn far more prestige destroying all those armies than I will from the mission.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I usually take these missions and they usually pop when they get into a war.

On the one hand, it does seem silly you can assign it as a mission that you want to build an army bigger than another nation's when your forcelimit is much lower than the current size of that other nation.

On the other hand, the really low prestige reward makes me think it's there to be used as you use it; to alert you when poo poo has hit the fan hard enough that their army is now smaller than yours is. I like it so much for that, that I really hope Paradox doesn't patch it so you can only take it if it is actually possible for you to have a bigger army under your current forcelimit.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Anyone got any good map mods to recommend?

Functional or merely graphical, I'd like something to spice up the default map.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Pimpmust posted:

Anyone got any good map mods to recommend?

Functional or merely graphical, I'd like something to spice up the default map.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?734464-Mod-Historical-Map-Improvement

He/she only really finished Europe, but it's a pretty solid map. Doesn't add or remove any provinces, too.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

DrProsek posted:

On the one hand, it does seem silly you can assign it as a mission that you want to build an army bigger than another nation's when your forcelimit is much lower than the current size of that other nation.

On the other hand, the really low prestige reward makes me think it's there to be used as you use it; to alert you when poo poo has hit the fan hard enough that their army is now smaller than yours is. I like it so much for that, that I really hope Paradox doesn't patch it so you can only take it if it is actually possible for you to have a bigger army under your current forcelimit.

For anything except missions that give you CBs on other nations I see it more as a gentle nudge in the right direction, like the game is telling you what you should maybe do next if you're stuck or confused or without purpose.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Got this because of the humble bundle sale, and it seems like it is a good Paradox title, in that it has a ton of issues but I still want to keep playing it. Missions are a bit crap, but everything else is at least as good as EU3 and often a lot better. (or the same, but much better explained, at least)

I started off as Portugal, and while maybe it's because I decided to my first game on normal, colonisation seems way too easy - I was able to grab like 90% of the Americas, including all the best parts, despite making a ton of newbie errors in the process. The big native nations in particular are just province piņatas, they can't stand up to western tech militaries, at least at first, and thanks to colonial nations you don't even have to worry about overextension or anything.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Wiz posted:

The thing about the HYW being unwinnable is that a human England player will just instantly make peace, or withdraw all their troops until the "length of war" penalty goes away, then make peace, thus avoiding what the AI does, which is waste all its manpower attacking an unbeatable France and rack up huge War Exhaustion penalties.

If the war isn't even remotely winnable, a human won't bother trying to fight it.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
So I started an Austria game with random new world enabled, last night while playing I noticed Portugal and Spain were starting to colonise and could clearly see it was random.
Just loaded the save and the whole area isn't discovered, but it's reverted to a standard North / South America map.

anyone else seen this happen?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am really liking this Orthodox Ottoman thing, sadly there's not a lot of events for PA so far. Conquest is going slower than expected too but I did this!

Passing HRE reforms goes really slow too because of the heretic modifier, slowly converting countries as I get into wars with them but they often rebel convert back.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Are there any total-conversion mods in the pipeline? There's a few that change the entire worldmap and all the nations for CK2 (I'm working on one myself!:haw:) but not for EUIV, it seems, even though the Clausewitz engine makes things a lot easier.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Tahirovic posted:

I am really liking this Orthodox Ottoman thing, sadly there's not a lot of events for PA so far. Conquest is going slower than expected too but I did this!

Passing HRE reforms goes really slow too because of the heretic modifier, slowly converting countries as I get into wars with them but they often rebel convert back.

Defend them until they're able to convert a few provinces.

As far as getting IA, look for any excuse to go to war with another religion. Look for any CB with them - revoke electorate works really well, just don't revoke the electorate, convert them. Defender of the faith can help, but realize that if you take it, you'll probably have that modifier for the rest of the game. Go to war with orthodox countries that have catholic or protestant allies - that gives you someone to convert. And don't be afraid to enforce religious unity - just let the penalty decay inbetween uses, and protect the country from rebels converting them back.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

defines posted:

PROTECTORATE_TECH_THRESHOLD = 0.5, -- Difference in tech group cost modifiers
PROTECTORATE_LOWER_BOUND = 0.5, -- Lower limit for protectorates

What do I actually need to set this as to make protectorates go away? I can't tell if it should be 0.0 or 1.0

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

What do I actually need to set this as to make protectorates go away? I can't tell if it should be 0.0 or 1.0

I set mine to 999; it kills protectorates dead.

On a patch-related note: it seems that there's a crash bug with countries getting inherited or diplo-annexed. It was the same problem I had a while ago that was apparently fixed by the new beta patch, but I'm getting it again (in the same month, even) :smith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's only available in the beta patch so far, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

The 1.4.1.6 and 1.4.1.7 betas both seem to have consistent crashes. Go back to the 1.4.1.2 beta, it seems to be stable.

• Locked thread