Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008
Unicoroner and myself seem to play at complete opposite times, so is anyone else able to throw me an invite to SAMCRO? Character name is Xhelat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Ulvirich posted:

Finally figuring out the engineer tanking ability instantly made this a pretty god drat fun class for me.

What would that be out of curiosity? I'll keep an eye out for it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

grrarg posted:

Carbine has not focused on optimization yet since the game is still several months from release. Optimization will be one of the last things they do, after they stop making major changes to the game.

If you went through and manually maxxed out every setting, doublecheck the "Render target scale" setting. It is supersampling and a framerate killer. Setting it to 2 at a 1920x1080 resolution makes the game render at 3840x2160 then downscales it to 1920x1080. You want it set to 1.

I've always been really leary about doing optimization at the end of a games development. You'll find poo poo that you didn't expect and before you know where you are, you're having to rewrite huge loving chunks of code that have dependencies elsewhere. The classic Blizzard philosophy of 'polish is not something you do at the end of the project' should apply to code more than anything else in my opinion :v:

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

As it stands, this game is hilariously badly optimized in the state it's in right now, and I highly doubt it's going to get fixed at any time before launch.

Yeah, I've been in a hell of a lot of game betas which busted out "oh it runs like crap because we haven't optimized yet" to explain poor performance near the end of the beta, and can't think of a single one that actually improved performance significantly by release.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Torka posted:

Yeah, I've been in a hell of a lot of game betas which busted out "oh it runs like crap because we haven't optimized yet" to explain poor performance near the end of the beta, and can't think of a single one that actually improved performance significantly by release.

I'm always surprised by this argument, not only because it never comes true, but because it's often trotted out in quite extreme timeframes. Weeks before release, sometimes. I'm no software engineer, but optimisation always seemed a more weighty task than simply buffing the paintjob at the end of the line.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

What would that be out of curiosity? I'll keep an eye out for it.

Do you have PM?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Pretty annoying that advice chat turns itself back on whenever you relog. Kinda sick of seeing people treat the game like the second coming.

It's not terrible, but it doesn't do anything special enough to be a super hit or anything. It really plays like a harder WoW with an (in my opinion) annoying emphasis on AoE stuff. This would be okay if the game ran better, but with graphical lag and latency the AoE is more of a pain than regular abilities would have been. In all likelyhood, I'll use the beta period to play through to the cap on both factions and clall it a day til way further down the line.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Is there a way to disable the wacky zany YOU LEVLED UP/DOUBLE KILL effects?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Is there a way to disable the wacky zany YOU LEVLED UP/DOUBLE KILL effects?

Why would you want to? :allears:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Deki posted:

Because this game appears to have had 3 art styles fired at it and it's pulling it in three different directions and it's really loving weird.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Deki posted:

DOOOUUUUBLE KILL gets old fast, to be honest. LEVEL UP isn't too big of a deal but it feels like something straight from Brutal Legend. v:geno:v

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

What's the funnest class? Just started playing the beta, guess I need to rush up to level 30 or I'm out? Wanna get started on something fun to stick with!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

This isn't my first time around the PC block, the fact that I get 20-30fps with 2x supersampling and also 20-30fps when upscaling from 1/2 res means that there might be more issues than "hey did you check your render target setting". My GPU utilization was around 17%, and it was only running on 2 of the 4 cores, and only topping out at 50% on one, and 10-20% on two others.

As it stands, this game is hilariously badly optimized in the state it's in right now, and I highly doubt it's going to get fixed at any time before launch.

Is it running into a disk IO bottleneck? That would be the one thing that actually might get fixed if they're really zealous with logging poo poo to disk.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Sion posted:

I've always been really leary about doing optimization at the end of a games development. You'll find poo poo that you didn't expect and before you know where you are, you're having to rewrite huge loving chunks of code that have dependencies elsewhere. The classic Blizzard philosophy of 'polish is not something you do at the end of the project' should apply to code more than anything else in my opinion :v:

They've been pretty good about optimization so far. Algoroc used to give me ~15 fps and now it runs at ~60 most of the time. The most recent patch has a memory leak and in general runs worse, though.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
Reminder, if you need a goon invite, you can hit up ExileHumanStalker as well.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Wet Fifty posted:

Reminder, if you need a goon invite, you can hit up ExileHumanStalker as well.

I really hope that's a Granok Warrior or something.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Phoix posted:

They've been pretty good about optimization so far. Algoroc used to give me ~15 fps and now it runs at ~60 most of the time. The most recent patch has a memory leak and in general runs worse, though.

I've noticed a lot of improvements since the last stress test. I got crap FPS pretty much all the time and there is hardly any choppiness this time around. I can totally understand the concern though since the MMO demographic in particular tends to have absolute poo poo hardware.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
The guild is on Exile Nexus? For some reason I thought I was Dominion, but I'm dumb. If anyone is on, please invite Apate

Setanta
Feb 6, 2010

Phoix posted:

I thought this was just my geriatric PC but even when I turned everything down the fps was very average to poor. I jumped in on an engineer this weekend. Lots of potential and a reminder it's time to upgrade my desktop.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
Someone please explain the engineer. I played it for about 7 levels or so and was bored out of my mind.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Ulvirich posted:

Do you have PM?

Could you send the trick my way, too? I do have PM.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Pretty annoying that advice chat turns itself back on whenever you relog.

I literally resorted to reporting this as a bug every single time I got dropped/relogged/reloadedUI/etc. and had to turn it off again because it's super loving annoying after the 20th, 30th, 40th, ... time doing it. Very sad to hear it still hasn't been fixed after two big patches since I dropped probably 100+ bug reports on it (and surely wasn't the only person annoyed that they have chat customization, but it doesn't save changes at all [tried creating a new chat tab that had everything except advice, relogged, and my beautiful "No Advice" chat was gone]).

I can understand why it's on to begin with, but it boggles my mind that they default to keeping a faction-wide chat channel on every start of the chat module as if it's not just congested with bullshit and spam that prevents you from using your textbox for useful things (like reading what NPCs said after you're walking away or talking in zone chat to get a group together for one of the group-requiring quests), or anything, really, since it's just an endless wave of yellow text. It's like general chat (which I usually turn off within 10 minutes of starting every MMO... and every other MMO I've played, beta or not, kept it that way), but 10+ times worse because it's literally every rear end in a top hat on your faction, not just those in your zone.

And, yes, this is one of my biggest gripes with W* beta.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Arzachel posted:

Is it running into a disk IO bottleneck? That would be the one thing that actually might get fixed if they're really zealous with logging poo poo to disk.

I have a pretty ancient rig and have it on an SSD and have no fps problems so maybe that's part of it?

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

bUm posted:

I literally resorted to reporting this as a bug every single time I got dropped/relogged/reloadedUI/etc. and had to turn it off again because it's super loving annoying after the 20th, 30th, 40th, ... time doing it. Very sad to hear it still hasn't been fixed after two big patches since I dropped probably 100+ bug reports on it (and surely wasn't the only person annoyed that they have chat customization, but it doesn't save changes at all [tried creating a new chat tab that had everything except advice, relogged, and my beautiful "No Advice" chat was gone]).

I can understand why it's on to begin with, but it boggles my mind that they default to keeping a faction-wide chat channel on every start of the chat module as if it's not just congested with bullshit and spam that prevents you from using your textbox for useful things (like reading what NPCs said after you're walking away or talking in zone chat to get a group together for one of the group-requiring quests), or anything, really, since it's just an endless wave of yellow text. It's like general chat (which I usually turn off within 10 minutes of starting every MMO... and every other MMO I've played, beta or not, kept it that way), but 10+ times worse because it's literally every rear end in a top hat on your faction, not just those in your zone.

And, yes, this is one of my biggest gripes with W* beta.

Same thing for the map settings. No, I don't want to see every harvesting node in the area, just show me the mining stuff.

It kinda sucks that there probably won't me any sort of market for crafting materials like ore. Iron is just ridiculously abundant.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Could you send the trick my way, too? I do have PM.

Sure thing, however due to current events in game, it may not be as effective as, say, the dps role. YMMV

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Wet Fifty posted:

Same thing for the map settings. No, I don't want to see every harvesting node in the area, just show me the mining stuff.

It kinda sucks that there probably won't me any sort of market for crafting materials like ore. Iron is just ridiculously abundant.

Doesn't it only show the ones you can actually get? I don't recall seeing them noted besides plants/artifacts (the collectables I could harvest). Unless they changed it (or you mean it doesn't save turning off plants?).

We'll see, I wasn't a big fan of the crafting system. If I'm recalling correctly though, I thought it was said you could get all the tradeskills and only have a couple active at a time (but you wouldn't lose all your progress if you temporarily changed them). If this is the case, that'd be a decent market for lower tier resources for max level players buying their way through.

The buy/sell orders market thing seems like a better/more realistic way than just straight Auction House though for dealing with resources.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any suggestions on a leveling spec for Medic? Also what type of states should I prioritize on gear?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Etrips posted:

Any suggestions on a leveling spec for Medic? Also what type of states should I prioritize on gear?

DPS: Tech, Moxie, Brutality
Healer: Insight, Grit, Finesse

Have a gander at this link for reference:
http://wildstar.mmorpg-life.com/guides/wildstar-stats-attributes/

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Someone invite Nilgoow to the dominion guild if there is one.

Edit: It would appear that they are stressing the test at the moment.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 16, 2014

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
It's not the stress test, it's all NCSoft games atm, GW2 is down also. Likely DERP trolling :rolleyes:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Etrips posted:

Switch out Gamma Rays for Quantum Cascade ASAP and pick up AMPs that triggers off spending Actuators over other stuff when available (but make sure you're filling in the stuff that leads to Annihilation over everything else). Slot in Dual Shock and use it whenever it's available, it's great for keeping your health up and hits decently for a Support ability.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
After the Simon Says and Chocobo race I'm convinced that this game is made by patent lawyers.

Edit: Where is my goddam house, Carbine?? Found it. :3:

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 16, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I see now why our guild has something like 15 stalkers. They're pretty fun and just absolutely destroy things. One thing I noticed was the heavy armor you get starting out doesn't look that great. I'm guessing this is because they untidy weren't having heavy armor until mid game. Can anyone comment on when heavy starts looking as cool as the medium stuff?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I'm level 12 now as a Warrior and I haven't gotten a shield. When do I get to be a tank and just grind instances with goons.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Sion posted:

I'm level 12 now as a Warrior and I haven't gotten a shield. When do I get to be a tank and just grind instances with goons.

The blue part of your bar is your shield. You should have gotten several leveling. Get a weapon with lots of support power and use support abilities and you are tanking.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
Shields in this game are akin to shields in halo. Not sword and board.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Wet Fifty posted:

Shields in this game are akin to shields in halo. Not sword and board.

Oh. My brain did a leak.

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.
how is the housing system?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Greenllama posted:

how is the housing system?

What you start with is usually pretty meager depending upon how much you've collected up to that point. It's kind of like that house in Skyrim where it's a poo poo hole but has a chest and is thus worth it. I have some plots that give me crafting resources, a couple that are decorative, and some that are seemingly useless beyond a single questionably useful purpose.

If you think you're going to ding 14 and spend 8 hours decorating you might be disappointed. Other people who are further along might want to comment, but at the early stages it seems to be most useful for getting a rested XP bonus and some crafting materials every day which is totally fine at this point. Like everything else in MMOs, you have to work play a lot before you get your dinosaur mounts and floaty shoulders. The same is likely true for the housing.

The only disappointing thing is that you only get 6 outside plots, and some of them seem pretty dumb. I'm sure there are upgraded versions either in the works or at higher levels, but temper your expectations for early on.

Fake edit: It blows the player housing in GW2, EVE, and most other MMOs out of the water though :3:

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

ItBurns posted:

What you start with is usually pretty meager depending upon how much you've collected up to that point. It's kind of like that house in Skyrim where it's a poo poo hole but has a chest and is thus worth it. I have some plots that give me crafting resources, a couple that are decorative, and some that are seemingly useless beyond a single questionably useful purpose.

If you think you're going to ding 14 and spend 8 hours decorating you might be disappointed. Other people who are further along might want to comment, but at the early stages it seems to be most useful for getting a rested XP bonus and some crafting materials every day which is totally fine at this point. Like everything else in MMOs, you have to work play a lot before you get your dinosaur mounts and floaty shoulders. The same is likely true for the housing.

The only disappointing thing is that you only get 6 outside plots, and some of them seem pretty dumb. I'm sure there are upgraded versions either in the works or at higher levels, but temper your expectations for early on.

Fake edit: It blows the player housing in GW2, EVE, and most other MMOs out of the water though :3:

It's going to be the end game for casuals that can't raid.

• Locked thread