Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

German and French railways should all be Standard Gauge, along with nearly all of Europe. Among the Europeans, it's notably the Spanish and Russians that use an alternate gauge.
it's a bit more complicated than that, though generally correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it's a bit more complicated than that, though generally correct.

What're those squares? Minor routes within each country?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kavak posted:

What're those squares? Minor routes within each country?
Just gauges that are less used than the primary one, so I suppose it could go as far as a 51/49 split, though I think the idea of them just being minor routes is true in many cases. The Russian tracks running into Poland for example are a single line that used to bring iron ore from Russia into Poland, and coal the other way.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
What purpose does a railway whose rails are only 1' 11.6'' apart SERVE?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

Amusement park trains, WW1 trench trains, and industrial transport.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Amusement park trains, WW1 trench trains, and industrial transport.

I suspected it was something like that, but it still strikes me as almost comically small.

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost

Redeye Flight posted:

I suspected it was something like that, but it still strikes me as almost comically small.

Though comically small, it was a cheap way to transport stuff to hard to reach places without needing much space.

This was built in order to construct a reservoir in the alps. I guess nowadays one would use a fleet of helicopters.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

gipskrampf posted:

Though comically small, it was a cheap way to transport stuff to hard to reach places without needing much space.

This was built in order to construct a reservoir in the alps. I guess nowadays one would use a fleet of helicopters.

It didn't actually occur to me that a smaller gauge might be because there'd be a smaller space it had to be built on. That's cool.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

gipskrampf posted:

It's so cute!! Look at that widdle itty baby thing. :3:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There's a railway in Vermont that has toothed wheels and rails and I'm pretty sure that thing is some funky rear end weird narrow gauge because it's going up a mountain, wish I remember what it was called.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rscott posted:

There's a railway in Vermont that has toothed wheels and rails and I'm pretty sure that thing is some funky rear end weird narrow gauge because it's going up a mountain, wish I remember what it was called.

It's new hampshire's mt. washington and it's called a cog railway.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Redeye Flight posted:

No Wi-Fi, though, which baffles me.

For whatever reason Amtrak has Wi-Fi available on only some of their routes, and sadly the Empire Builder is not included.

Redeye Flight posted:

It didn't actually occur to me that a smaller gauge might be because there'd be a smaller space it had to be built on. That's cool.

This isn't always true. In South Africa, they use a smaller gauge than standard, Cape Gauge, which was originally chosen to be used in areas of Cape Colony with rougher terrain, but eventually became the standard across all of South Africa. (There is one high-speed line that's standard gauge, though.)

You can also see here the broad gauge (on a mixed standard-broad track) used by the Great Western Railway in Britain before the 1890s, when it was finally torn up and replaced with standard gauge (due to a decision by the British government to have one gauge across the country):

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 15, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Redeye Flight posted:

Yep, small gauge can be pretty useful in the mountains. It's also where the idea for this in insanity comes from (it works way better than you'd think):

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_monorail

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Redeye Flight posted:

You know who else hated narrow gauges?
That's right, hitler

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Yep, small gauge can be pretty useful in the mountains. It's also where the idea for this in insanity comes from (it works way better than you'd think):

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_monorail

:gonk:

Physically, rationally, I understand the principle for why this would work. But I don't think I'd feel comfortable riding it!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

It's new hampshire's mt. washington and it's called a cog railway.

yep this is the thing, I rode it when I was a little kid once.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Freedom of the press 2014 (Reporters without borders)

:namibia:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Why are Japan, RoKorea and Vietnam so bad?

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Koramei posted:

Reporters Without Borders have a website.

From a cursory reading, seems Japan suppresses reporting on Fukushima, some jokers in South Korea got sanctioned for mocking their President's family, and in Vietnam, "Independent news providers are subject to enhanced Internet surveillance, draconian directives, waves of arrests and sham trials. Vietnam continues to be the world’s second largest prison for bloggers and netizens.".

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Farecoal posted:

You can also see here the broad gauge (on a mixed standard-broad track) used by the Great Western Railway in Britain before the 1890s, when it was finally torn up and replaced with standard gauge (due to a decision by the British government to have one gauge across the country):

The broader gauge would have been quite beneficial to passenger traffic. The narrower gauge means that cars need to sit above the wheels, which limits the diameter of the wheels and increases the ride height of the passenger compartment. With a broad enough gauge you could have the car in between the wheels, which would allow for larger diameter wheels and a lowered passenger compartment. Both of these factors would result in a smoother ride. This would have been more important historically as both suspension systems and rail quality have increased significantly, but it would still be beneficial.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kennel posted:

Interesting that infrastructure was part of the grading. While it makes sense in a way, I wonder how the map would look like if that did not fit in to the rankings.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Koramei posted:

Vietnam is a one-party state.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

South Korea is still reeling from being a dictatorship.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kassad posted:

Vietnam is a one-party state.

Technically you could have freedom of the press and a one party state.Not sure if that has ever existed though.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bensa posted:

The broader gauge would have been quite beneficial to passenger traffic. The narrower gauge means that cars need to sit above the wheels, which limits the diameter of the wheels and increases the ride height of the passenger compartment. With a broad enough gauge you could have the car in between the wheels, which would allow for larger diameter wheels and a lowered passenger compartment. Both of these factors would result in a smoother ride. This would have been more important historically as both suspension systems and rail quality have increased significantly, but it would still be beneficial.

True, but in Britain at least, standard gauge took up less space, and another advantage of broad gauge, more powerful locomotives, was becoming irrelevant by the late 19th century as technology improved. Also, more railroads were already using standard gauge than broad.

Kennel posted:

I like how Eritrea has a lower rating than North Korea, somehow

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Farecoal posted:

True, but in Britain at least, standard gauge took up less space, and another advantage of broad gauge, more powerful locomotives, was becoming irrelevant by the late 19th century as technology improved. Also, more railroads were already using standard gauge than broad.

I like how Eritrea has a lower rating than North Korea, somehow

They're both black, though. I think you were looking at South Korea, possibly.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

DrSunshine posted:

They're both black, though. I think you were looking at South Korea, possibly.

whoops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

I meant in general, not just referring to the map.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Farecoal posted:

whoops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

I meant in general, not just referring to the map.

Geez, wow! Now that's something, isn't it? It's hard to imagine how a country could be more unfree than North Korea, though.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

DrSunshine posted:

Geez, wow! Now that's something, isn't it? It's hard to imagine how a country could be more unfree than North Korea, though.

Eritrea is a one-party dictatorship with no independent media too.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Eritrea is a one-party dictatorship with no independent media too.

The banning of independent media only happened about a decade ago so they have a lot of journalists still in prison which probably puts them lower than North Korea.

I have a friend who visited Asmara once. There's still a lot of old Italian architecture there that is the main reason to visit the place but he said the city was creepily quiet during the day and completely abandoned at night. It's near impossible for foreigners to get a permit to leave the capital and all roads out are monitored by military checkpoints.

It sounded pretty weird.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Boiled Water posted:

South Korea is still reeling from being a dictatorship.

And the libel laws here are so broad that you can be prosecuted for saying anything negative about anyone, even if it's 100% verifiably true. Also all the journalism makes Fox News seem like a bastion of good sense and reason in comparison.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Grand Fromage posted:

And the libel laws here are so broad that you can be prosecuted for saying anything negative about anyone, even if it's 100% verifiably true.

The ultimate hugbox?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Farecoal posted:

The ultimate hugbox?

It's insane. For example, say you get a job somewhere and the boss decides to not pay you (which happens semi-frequently here). If you go online and post "Hey, don't work at X, the boss didn't pay me" they can now sue you. And they will win, even with proof that the boss did not pay you.

One of the many factors that suppresses any real journalism here.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Grand Fromage posted:

It's insane. For example, say you get a job somewhere and the boss decides to not pay you (which happens semi-frequently here).

:psyduck:

Grand Fromage posted:

If you go online and post "Hey, don't work at X, the boss didn't pay me" they can now sue you. And they will win, even with proof that the boss did not pay you.

:psypop:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Jesus poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well by sharing the information that they didn't pay you you've harmed their reputation and may damage them by people not wanting to work for them or do business. Yes it's true but by saying the truth you hurt the reputation of someone and reputation is everything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Well by sharing the information that they didn't pay you you've harmed their reputation and may damage them by people not wanting to work for them or do business. Yes it's true but by saying the truth you hurt the reputation of someone and reputation is everything.

Yep. You made them lose face. After all, how can they get more employees to not pay if you tell everyone that they don't pay their employees?

This is the same legal system where someone rear-ends you at a red light and you have to pay partial damages because if you hadn't stopped at the red light, you wouldn't have been in the guy's way so he couldn't have rear ended you. Or if a taxi gets in a wreck the passenger is responsible, not the driver.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's insane. For example, say you get a job somewhere and the boss decides to not pay you (which happens semi-frequently here). If you go online and post "Hey, don't work at X, the boss didn't pay me" they can now sue you. And they will win, even with proof that the boss did not pay you.

The flip side of this coin is India apparently; our company opened an office out there, and we had lots of issues because you would interview people, offer them a job, they'd accept and they'd have a set date to start working1, and then they just didn't show up. If you contacted them they'd confirm that they just didn't actually want to work there, but I guess it's not customary to inform your potential employer of that.

1Also that date would be like 2-3 months later or something ridiculous, because you were expected to give your current employer that much notice.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. You made them lose face. After all, how can they get more employees to not pay if you tell everyone that they don't pay their employees?

This is the same legal system where someone rear-ends you at a red light and you have to pay partial damages because if you hadn't stopped at the red light, you wouldn't have been in the guy's way so he couldn't have rear ended you. Or if a taxi gets in a wreck the passenger is responsible, not the driver.

So how are you expected to live if you work at a job that refuses to pay you? Get a second job and hope that they're not a scumbag too?

I recently learned that being a draftee in South Korea doesn't even pay $100 a month, but I'm under the impression that you get provided with an awful lot of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Star Man posted:

So how are you expected to live if you work at a job that refuses to pay you? Get a second job and hope that they're not a scumbag too?

Quit and find a new job and hope they'll pay you. There are also labor boards you can go to and make a fuss to get your back pay, which works sometimes. The key being that is private so it doesn't trigger the libel laws.

I've been lucky so far but it's common enough that "Does your boss pay you?" is a standard question you ask if you get to talk to whoever you're replacing/someone else who works there. And there is a much larger segment of places that will pay you, but either try to skim off some of your salary or pay late all the time.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 16, 2014