Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
what bitcoiners fundamentally misunderstand is that the bitcoin trustless model shouldn't be used as a general currency in the modern world. purchasing something with a credit card, for example, requires trust in the credit card company to protect you in the case of fraud. this protection is seen as part of the value of a credit card. depositing money in a bank requires trust in that individual bank, the stability of the banking system, and finally trust in the promise of the US government to bail you out in the case of failure. if i couldn't trust my bank, if i didn't know my bank was regulated by the government, or if i couldn't trust my government to effectively regulate my bank, then i probably shouldn't be depositing money there!

if you are building a system where you cannot rely on trust, where that is a basic axiom of your design, then you are going to have to redesign banking, purchasing, etc from the ground up. not cargo cult established institutions. but these are bitcoiners we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Voting with the blockchain (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 43 seconds ago by wizard pie

So i have been sick with a fever for the past two days, last night i had a dream about using the blockchain to vote for politicians and the like.
Like you walk into a voting booth and pull up your voter registration wallet that is unique to you much like an ID or social.
You recieve one "votecoin" per year, each person in the running is given a unique address and you send your vote to that persons address.
Go wild /r/bitcoin tell me if this is a bad idea or has potential to create a more transparent voting system.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Why don't we modify Karma to give Bitcoin microtransactions? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 20 minutes ago by darlingnorth
Think of what Reddit would become if all Karma was linked to minitransactions for Bitcoin.

[–]anaccountjustforyou 2 points 5 minutes ago
There is something like that:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/zqocl/exchange_your_karma_for_bitcoin_reddit_bitcoin

[–]Psiloshibe 1 point 7 minutes ago
Way too much potential for abuse through multiple accounts, etc.

[–]tulipfutures 0 points 19 minutes ago
Well they'd sure need to fix that 7 tx per second limit in a hurry.
Karma microtransactions, another stupid idea brought to you by r/bitcoin
oh, oh, what if my car's mileage was on the blockchain? Also my mortgage. Bitcoin, guys!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

can't see any problem with a system that requires partisan votes to be validated by consensus

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

having lots of information permanently stored in a readable format on the internet forever is either

1) a really useful idea that doesn't require bitcoin to achieve

or

2) a really terrible idea that will violate everyone's privacy forever, and still doesn't require bitcoin to achieve

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cantorsdust posted:

having lots of information permanently stored in a readable format on the internet forever is either

1) a really useful idea that doesn't require bitcoin to achieve

or

2) a really terrible idea that will violate everyone's privacy forever, and still doesn't require bitcoin to achieve

it's like Facebook. but with bit coin and no privacy control. also it was posted a few pages back but i looked up that kansas bill everyone was talking about and :eyepop:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So i have been sick with a fever for the past two days, last night i had a dream about using the blockchain to vote for politicians and the like.
Like you walk into a voting booth and pull up your voter registration wallet that is unique to you much like an ID or social.
You recieve one "votecoin" per year, each person in the running is given a unique address and you send your vote to that persons address.
Go wild /r/bitcoin tell me if this is a bad idea or has potential to create a more transparent voting system.

votecoin?

when all you have is a hammer, i guess

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

when the only tool you have is a broken hammer

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

votecoin?

everything starts to look like miley cyrus

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
twerkcoins

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Please don't bring up that picture of Andres Antinopolis.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

How to convince someone who is truly afraid to become involved in bitcoin? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 7 minutes ago by BitCoinerInPeril

To keep it short:

I have been day trading in bitcoin ever since it was hovering around 140 during September last year. I've lost around 20,000 dollars but I'm very experienced and I have already made most of it back (and will continue until I profit)

My sister (a very historically irresponsible person, a single mom, probably on drugs) bought a car off me, however we did it off the books and (purposely) never had any record of it. I still hold the car in name. (I had a spare key made and planned to take it back if she ever did something bad to me).

Last year, she needed to borrow four hundred dollars in order to pay her rent. She claimed she'd pay me back in a week. I agreed but said that she needed to let me hold the car (worth around 12000) as collateral. She was fine with it; she agreed with me without any issue.

Five weeks later, I had received no payment. I told her she had two days to pay me or I'd sell the car and keep all the money. She told me I couldn't do that (loving hypocrite) and I told her I can do whatever I want. To prove my point, I sold the car immediately and kept all the money. I wanted to put it towards bitcoin (and I did immediately).

She got a lawyer and is now attempting to seek legal counsel. She is loving nuts and thinks she is entitled to everything. I have already lost a large amount of her money (will gain it back easily) but I offered to give her around two hundred dollars in bitcoin if she called it off (reminder that SHE STILL HASN'T PAID ME BACK).

She told me she wanted the full value of the car + in "real money."

"Real money." I despise this poo poo.

Is it reasonable to expect someone like her to change her mind? What can I say or show her to make her believe in bitcoin?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Robawesome posted:

How to convince someone who is truly afraid to become involved in bitcoin? (self.Bitcoin)

To keep it short:

I have been day trading in bitcoin ever since it was hovering around 140 during September last year. I've lost around 20,000 dollars but I'm very experienced and I have already made most of it back (and will continue until I profit)

My sister (a very historically irresponsible person, a single mom, probably on drugs) bought a car off me, however we did it off the books and (purposely) never had any record of it. I still hold the car in name. (I had a spare key made and planned to take it back if she ever did something bad to me).

Last year, she needed to borrow four hundred dollars in order to pay her rent. She claimed she'd pay me back in a week. I agreed but said that she needed to let me hold the car (worth around 12000) as collateral. She was fine with it; she agreed with me without any issue.

Five weeks later, I had received no payment. I told her she had two days to pay me or I'd sell the car and keep all the money. She told me I couldn't do that (loving hypocrite) and I told her I can do whatever I want. To prove my point, I sold the car immediately and kept all the money. I wanted to put it towards bitcoin (and I did immediately).

She got a lawyer and is now attempting to seek legal counsel. She is loving nuts and thinks she is entitled to everything. I have already lost a large amount of her money (will gain it back easily) but I offered to give her around two hundred dollars in bitcoin if she called it off (reminder that SHE STILL HASN'T PAID ME BACK).

Is it reasonable to expect someone like her to change her mind? What can I say or show her to make her believe in bitcoin?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Robawesome posted:

To keep it short:

don't you know the rule where if someone doesnt pay you back in five weeks you get to steal something worth 30x the debt from them? jesus christ

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Robawesome posted:

To keep it short:

holy poo poo. holy poo poo.

"why doesn't she make something of herself‽" ~steals through technicality her primary means of transport, offers funbucks in return~

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
also with votecoin there's no way to track the precinct where the vote originates

also it requires every voter to have a computer

also selling your vote becomes trivial which i guess they'd think of as a benefit because free market bicht

not even getting into the massive amounts of energy we'd have to waste to verify the voting

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

votecoin?

what's the value in a secret ballot anyway? if your boss threatens you to votecoin for his candidate that's just free market bitch

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Joementum posted:

also it requires every voter to have a computer

my boss thinks we should get rid of the post office. "everybody can just go online!" and if they don't have a computer or a data line they can just "go to the library".

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
so is there a recap of what happened over the last few weeks somewhere i have been busy and wasn't paying attention and i guess mtgox is dying?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Magic Underwear posted:

don't you know the rule where if someone doesnt pay you back in five weeks you get to steal something worth 30x the debt from them? jesus christ

implying a bitcoiner has ever owned a car worth $12000

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

duTrieux. posted:

my boss thinks we should get rid of the post office. "everybody can just go online!" and if they don't have a computer or a data line they can just "go to the library".

you work for shaggar?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

flyboi posted:

so is there a recap of what happened over the last few weeks somewhere i have been busy and wasn't paying attention and i guess mtgox is dying?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

what is the votecoin/pizza exchange rate?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

flyboi posted:

it was discovered that you can't rely on transaction ids to be the ids of transactions and gox had been doing this despite there being a wiki article and everything from three years ago saying not to do it, so gox halted bitcoin withdrawls and their price tanked

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

flyboi posted:

• protocol is so loosely defined that transaction ids can't be used to identify transactions. (it's possible to create duplicate transactions with the same id and thus gum up the network and cause all sorts of tracking problems)
  • bitcion devs claim it isn't a problem because it was known about for years and a workaround posted
  • major exchanges are hit by the bug in a way that means they were probably sending people way too much bitcoin.
  • chaos
  • bitcoin devs admit that maybe there's a problem
  • more chaos

also several darknet services were taken down by the feds and or robbed

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

has MtGOX officially halted USD withdrawals or are they still going with that 22 month wait?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

flyboi posted:

Russia banned bitcoin, some cops in Florida posed as localbitcoin buyers and arrested people for money laundering, Apple removed the last functional wallet app from the App store resulting in several bitcoiners smashing their iphones like manchildren, Mt.Gox discovered money may be missing based on "transaction malleability" and subsequently most major exchanges stopped trading to fix this issue. The owner of "Silk Road 2" blames this issue on getting all of their coins stolen, but many suspect he has simply blamed the issue and stolen the coins.

Boxturret posted:

has MtGOX officially halted USD withdrawals or are they still going with that 22 month wait?

As far as I know, they were around 20 months, then halted withdrawals completely, so when they return they'll still be looking at 20+ months

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Boxturret posted:

you can't even withdraw bitcoins from magic the gathering online exchange now.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Robawesome posted:

Apple removed the last functional wallet app from the App store resulting in several bitcoiners smashing their iphones like manchildren

also, the wallet app was removed because the devs were trying to be sneaky and had submit one version that was read only, but then silently updated via web components to a version that was read/write and tried to keep quiet about it because that was against the apple tos. then apple discovered it and removed the app and people are disingenuously claiming that it was an arbitrary decision.

and all of the tech sites are running with that explanation because lol actual investigation, amirite?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
so how much money/butts does mtgox theoretically have on lockdown right now?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Robawesome posted:

I've lost around 20,000 dollars but I'm very experienced and I have already made most of it back (and will continue until I profit)

My sister (a very historically irresponsible person,

:ironicat:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

MtGOX has around 5 times the trade volume of all the other exchanges right now

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

flyboi posted:

Robawesome posted:

Russia banned bitcoin, some cops in Florida posed as localbitcoin buyers and arrested people for money laundering, Apple removed the last functional wallet app from the App store resulting in several bitcoiners smashing their iphones like manchildren, Mt.Gox discovered money may be missing based on "transaction malleability" and subsequently most major exchanges stopped trading to fix this issue. The owner of "Silk Road 2" blames this issue on getting all of their coins stolen, but many suspect he has simply blamed the issue and stolen the coins.

As far as I know, they were around 20 months, then halted withdrawals completely, so when they return they'll still be looking at 20+ months

yeah you for real missed the best week ever for bitcoin since bruce was outed as a pedo

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Robawesome posted:

also upon the death of the magic: the gathering online exchange, buttcoin.org will become the oldest active bitcoin-related site in the world apparently

that news just made me all fuzzy inside :3:

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Look at what BTC-E JUST SAID to me... (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 59 minutes ago* by meownpurr

So, I deposited some funds into my BTC-e account with my credit card through Payeer + Liqpay. Usually, it shows up in my account immediately but this time there was no show of funds. I went through the tedious process of getting BTC-E support attention, took me hours, finally they come online (this was Skype). When they did, I explained my situation, gave them my Payeer payment ID and even translated it in Russian. I just wanted my money back.. this is was ensued. (Sorry, I had to retract some details just in case)

quoted text

[17/02/2014 5:10:01 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: hi

[17/02/2014 5:10:18 am] suskabellaa: Hello I have a problem

[17/02/2014 5:10:57 am] suskabellaa: Date: 16.02.2014 (TIME RETRACTED)

Recipient: btc-e.com Comments: btc-e deposit (ID RETRACTED) Order ID: Payeer ID: (ID RETRACTED)

Payment system: VISA/MasterCard Amount: ..... RUB

I paid via credit card. No swift code, they should be in my account straight away but I have nothing. Please help me! I have added a Payeer screenshot for you and translated to Russian!

Дата: 16.02.2014 (TIME RETRACTED)

Получатель: BTC-e.com Комментарии: BTC-е депозит # (ID RETRACTED) ID заказа: Payeer ID: (ID RETRACTED)

Платежная система: VISA / MasterCard Сумма: 9293,29 руб

Я заплатил с помощью кредитной карты. Нет быстрым код, они не должны быть на моем счете сразу, но я ничего не имею. Пожалуйста, помогите мне! Я добавил скриншот Payeer для вас и с переводом на русский!

[17/02/2014 5:11:34 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: You must deposit coins to our btc-e wallet

[17/02/2014 5:11:42 am] suskabellaa: I did

[17/02/2014 5:11:44 am] suskabellaa: Я положил деньги с помощью кредитной карты и не получили свою лепту монеты. Я два других раза делал это раньше, и они были на моем счете сразу, на этот раз, он не показал им на моем счете. Где мои битные монеты?

[17/02/2014 5:12:13 am] suskabellaa: I used Payeer

[17/02/2014 5:12:29 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: You need to deposit coins to OUR btc-e wallet

[17/02/2014 5:12:57 am] suskabellaa: which one sorry? my btc-e wallet... yes?

[17/02/2014 5:13:06 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: OUR btc-e wallet,not yours

[17/02/2014 5:13:14 am] suskabellaa: how do I do that?

[17/02/2014 5:13:34 am] suskabellaa: 260$ has been taken out of my credit card already

[17/02/2014 5:13:52 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: Существует плата которых и нужно платить

[17/02/2014 5:14:30 am] suskabellaa: I have an account with you

[17/02/2014 5:14:40 am] suskabellaa: username: suskabellaa

[17/02/2014 5:15:32 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: Вы должны сделать депозит

[17/02/2014 5:15:43 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: You need to deposit coins to OUR wallet

[17/02/2014 5:16:08 am] suskabellaa: I did, i have an account with BTC-E.com, why do I have to deposit to your wallet, I have one with you already

[17/02/2014 5:16:39 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: Because you want to fix ur problem,or i can lock your account if you like

[17/02/2014 5:17:09 am] suskabellaa: ok so how much do i need to deposit in your wallet

[17/02/2014 5:17:26 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: 2btc

[17/02/2014 5:17:35 am] suskabellaa: excuse me?

[17/02/2014 5:17:57 am] suskabellaa: why are you scamming

[17/02/2014 5:18:08 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: scamming ?

[17/02/2014 5:18:11 am] suskabellaa: yes

[17/02/2014 5:18:21 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: You call me scammer ok

[17/02/2014 5:18:24 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: Fix your problem by urself Wink

[17/02/2014 5:18:30 am] suskabellaa: there is no reason to send you 2 btw [ 17/02/2014 5:18:33 am] suskabellaa: you're a scammer

[17/02/2014 5:18:39 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: There is reason

[17/02/2014 5:18:44 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: I will suspend your account to see the reason

[17/02/2014 5:18:51 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: OK?

[17/02/2014 5:19:04 am] suskabellaa: okay i will chargeback the money i deposited, and you lose money

[17/02/2014 5:19:12 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: Dreamer Smiley

[17/02/2014 5:19:17 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: Go chargeback your money pls

[17/02/2014 5:19:30 am] suskabellaa: and I am going to post this all over the internet

[17/02/2014 5:19:37 am] suskabellaa: so people can see what btc-e is like

[17/02/2014 5:19:42 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: Oh do it please Smiley You will never use our website again

[17/02/2014 5:19:47 am] btc-e.support hdbtce.kayako.com: Don't even try to bother me again.

[17/02/2014 5:20:03 am] suskabellaa: well thanks for the help scammer

[–]RemoGacci 0 points 7 seconds ago

btc-e is one of the best exchanges out there. Communication is sometimes a problem because they are russian.

[–]preferrous 1 point 4 seconds ago

Look your a small time piker nerd, you hosed up by depositing into the wrong place. btc-e is correct in banning you. $300 loser and you make a huge scene about it. Dude piss off.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Magic Underwear posted:

except didn't he still have the car title in his name? a poo poo heel move to keep it in his name after she paid him in full, but i guess that means he didn't steal it

also don't car title loans work like this? they keep the car as collateral for the loan. although i guess they would have waited longer than five weeks for her to pay it back

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Robawesome posted:

oh my gosh it's just like old times :allears:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

this is a great time for bitcoin

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Robawesome posted:

To keep it short:

i really hope this fucker was stupid enough to have emailed or texted his sister calling it "her" car or confirming the sale at some point in the past. or hell that the lawyer looks up r/bitcoin and finds this post.

who loving does family title loans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
be you own bank

• Locked thread