Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIKB_pAmh4

This video makes me irrationally angry, because they digitally put the Ice Cream parlor where the Emporium goes for some loving reason. Gettin' mad about ads in this thread.

In other news, I just got offered a phone interview for the College Program, so looks like I might be spending six months in Orlando.

There's also the brick pathway on Main Street and the bridge at the very beginning. I've got no idea where either one of those came from or why any of this needed to be digitally messed with. It's all so unnecessary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Savage Bliss posted:

Was just there and had the Thyme-scented Pork Rack Chop with Au Gratin Macaroni. It was phenomenal.

Do this. Do this. Do this.

The macaroni is amazing. I'd have enjoyed the meal if it was just that. The pork chop is just extra (and also awesome)

demonR6 posted:

Nice! Do you have any idea when or is that not known until things are finalized?

If I get accepted for the program I'd like I'll be moving down in May and staying until the new year. If I get the second choice of program, I'd move down in August.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I think BOG has some of the best food offerings of any of the parks for the price point they are at. We have not had dinner there since getting reservations is really difficult but we have had lunch there over ten times now including once for the soft opening they had for AP holders we were invited to. I have nothing negative to say about it and I can be critical about the dining at the parks especially when it comes to price vs. the quality of what you get.

If I get accepted for the program I'd like I'll be moving down in May and staying until the new year. If I get the second choice of program, I'd move down in August.

I think August is a better bet for you since you will be missing some of the hotter summer months but you will be here for the holidays and Food & Wine but you would miss Flower & Garden depending on when the May date starts. F&G is over May 17th, it's not F&W but still something we enjoy and now that it features food and wine as well but not to the scale of F&W it makes it better.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

I think BOG has some of the best food offerings of any of the parks for the price point they are at. We have not had dinner there since getting reservations is really difficult but we have had lunch there over ten times now including once for the soft opening they had for AP holders we were invited to. I have nothing negative to say about it and I can be critical about the dining at the parks especially when it comes to price vs. the quality of what you get.

I think August is a better bet for you since you will be missing some of the hotter summer months but you will be here for the holidays and Food & Wine but you would miss Flower & Garden depending on when the May date starts. F&G is over May 17th, it's not F&W but still something we enjoy and now that it features food and wine as well but not to the scale of F&W it makes it better.

Well, doing the longer program is ideal for me time wise (my current leas ends a week after move in for that program, so that's nice and neat) and the longer your program, the better job selection you get, since you are there for a longer period. Heat, while lovely, is something I am used to after spending a summer working in a 150 degree bakery. I am also angling for a hotel gig so I'd be inside (unless they want to put me at Haunted Mansion or Jungle Cruise, my dream gigs, but those are pretty popular amongst CP applicants)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Well, doing the longer program is ideal for me time wise (my current leas ends a week after move in for that program, so that's nice and neat) and the longer your program, the better job selection you get, since you are there for a longer period. Heat, while lovely, is something I am used to after spending a summer working in a 150 degree bakery. I am also angling for a hotel gig so I'd be inside (unless they want to put me at Haunted Mansion or Jungle Cruise, my dream gigs, but those are pretty popular amongst CP applicants)

Don't do Jungle.. my wife worked JC and PoC when she worked at MK and I don't recall very many fun stories. I do remember one story where she had to go to medical to get a Tetanus shot because she somehow put her hand into the water. Standing rule is if your hand comes in contact with the water, you need a shot. WTH?

She did have cool stories about PoC and some alleged ghost. It's always nice and cool in there, unlike Mansion where if you are outside it sucks. We were there yesterday and once again it was packed. The line for Mansion was around the corner almost at the entrance to the riverboat and a CM was standing way out there holding a sign that said "Line forms here."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Don't do Jungle.. my wife worked JC and PoC when she worked at MK and I don't recall very many fun stories. I do remember one story where she had to go to medical to get a Tetanus shot because she somehow put her hand into the water. Standing rule is if your hand comes in contact with the water, you need a shot. WTH?

She did have cool stories about PoC and some alleged ghost. It's always nice and cool in there, unlike Mansion where if you are outside it sucks. We were there yesterday and once again it was packed. The line for Mansion was around the corner almost at the entrance to the riverboat and a CM was standing way out there holding a sign that said "Line forms here."

Well there is lots of old metal in those waters, also it's green as gently caress. Not really surprised.

I'd also dig the following jobs: Great Movie Ride, because I can play a movie nerd pretty convincingly, and Tower of Terror because I love that they get to be a bit more sarcastic than other ride operators.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Well there is lots of old metal in those waters, also it's green as gently caress. Not really surprised.

I'd also dig the following jobs: Great Movie Ride, because I can play a movie nerd pretty convincingly, and Tower of Terror because I love that they get to be a bit more sarcastic than other ride operators.

GMR always seems to be dead.. unless of course you want to work on a less busy ride. I've always liked Mansion though and would have loved to work there when I was working at Disney but ended up at Studios during my stint.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

GMR always seems to be dead.. unless of course you want to work on a less busy ride. I've always liked Mansion though and would have loved to work there when I was working at Disney but ended up at Studios during my stint.

the first day of my trip back in December, I walked by GMR and their wait time sign said 60 minutes which would have been the highest wait time in the park beside Toy Story if it were true. They had two cast members stationed out front, both of which were shouting "It's not true! Its more like 10 minutes! Please come and visit!"

So I did.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I have really fond memories of GMR. Probably comes from a time that the ride broke down at the gangster spot and the cast members managed to put on a great 45 minute show while we waited.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
GMR isn't really dead, it just takes so many people that there usually isn't too crazy of a wait. It has a massive guest capacity. If you go during holiday times you may be get a bit of wait, maybe even upwards of twenty minutes or so.

BETTER BREAK OUT THE FASTPASS+

mr_cardholder
Jun 30, 2009

Oh well. It's humanity's problem now.
Well, it's all booked.

Going for 6 days (got a deal for tickets for 4 days, get 5th day free, plus quick service dining plan). Booked a double river view suite at Old Key West as it had the largest rooms at the lowest rate for a deluxe resort, plus my folks like smaller hotels. Added water park and park hopper options to tickets. Total cost came to around $5,300. It should be a real nice change as I will be coming directly from Nigeria. I will post about the trip afterwards, especially about the hotel as it seems most people don't know much about it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Had the phone interview for the College Program today, and it went well. They think I am a clear cut candidate for attactions, specifically something with a spiel like Jungle Cruise of GMR.

Of course, when asked how I'd deal with a child who was too short to ride something, I was using Space Mountain as the theoretical ride, and went to suggest they ride something else in Tomorrowland, and then I blanked on the name of Astro Orbitors. It literally vanished from my mind.

It's me, I'm the worst Disney fan.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Your answer is good enough for government work. What they want there is an indication that you're valuing the customer's experience and trying to limit the inconvenience.

On the real job you get shitloads of vouchers to hand out in that kind of situation. Ice cream, fast passes, whatever. I even hand-wrote more than a few on standard old fast pass ticket stock. So guests take note: cast members can give you a piece of paper that says "give this person free poo poo" and it works.

Aside from keeping kids occupied to give adults a breather and helping the special needs guests, I found this to be one of the most rewarding aspects of the job. You come across a family who, through no one's fault; is having a lovely day on their super-expensive vacation. Being able to turn that around with a little sympathy and some free greebles is a great feeling.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Nathilus posted:

Your answer is good enough for government work. What they want there is an indication that you're valuing the customer's experience and trying to limit the inconvenience.

On the real job you get shitloads of vouchers to hand out in that kind of situation. Ice cream, fast passes, whatever. I even hand-wrote more than a few on standard old fast pass ticket stock. So guests take note: cast members can give you a piece of paper that says "give this person free poo poo" and it works.

Aside from keeping kids occupied to give adults a breather and helping the special needs guests, I found this to be one of the most rewarding aspects of the job. You come across a family who, through no one's fault; is having a lovely day on their super-expensive vacation. Being able to turn that around with a little sympathy and some free greebles is a great feeling.

Oh absolutely. me suggesting the other ride was only half of the response. I basically talked about how I'd use the story of the ride (little as it is) to inform my interaction with the child, trying to make them feel like while they can't do this particular attraction, they can still have a great day at the Magic Kingdom. Of course I don't think they expected me to understand the full way of doing it since I've never worked for Disney before, but she sounded like she appreciated my response, bungling of Space Dumbos be damned.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Nathilus posted:

NSA forms were (one of) the banes of my existence. They mean well, they really do, but 9/10 times they were never filled in properly and usually didn't follow the rules (this ticket allows this party of fourteen to ride Soarin, also get free drinks too w/e).

I eventually got to the point where I would just take the stupid tickets no matter what and accept the consequences from my managers if they got mad. They never did.

Of course, when asked how I'd deal with a child who was too short to ride something, I was using Space Mountain as the theoretical ride, and went to suggest they ride something else in Tomorrowland, and then I blanked on the name of Astro Orbitors. It literally vanished from my mind.

It's me, I'm the worst Disney fan.

We routinely get CPs who have never been in the state and know almost nothing about Disney before working here. I'm pretty sure you got brownie points for knowing what you did.

Roar fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 14, 2014

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Roar posted:

NSA forms were (one of) the banes of my existence. They mean well, they really do, but 9/10 times they were never filled in properly and usually didn't follow the rules (this ticket allows this party of fourteen to ride Soarin, also get free drinks too w/e).

Ahahahaha. Guilty as charged. I totally wrote poo poo like that. Never for fourteen though, that's a bit egregious. I also accepted some really... non-traditional ones. I particularly remember one that was written on front desk CS stationary that said something to the effect of "Yeah this kid doesn't look really sick but he is. We couldn't help him out with a handicapped pass, so try making his day plz." I got handed that as greeter 3 at Space Mountain, out front. Just afterward rotation came through and I went inside to "departures", where the trains load and launch. As per the instructions, I took him with me and let him sit down by the overflow exit/wheelchair access while his family waited in line, playing up the whole space airport shtick for the whole 45 minutes I was at the position. He was loving the gently caress out of it and obviously felt really special and catered-to. A manager eventually swung by and asked what was up. I explained, and he gave me a giant thumbs up, told me to make sure the kid stayed off the platform for safety, and hosed off. I had good managers. I was getting slightly nervous as rotation time crept closer, but by the time I left the position the kid's family was in sight and I felt comfortable just telling the next person at the position to keep an eye on him.

quote:

I eventually got to the point where I would just take the stupid tickets no matter what and accept the consequences from my managers if they got mad. They never did.

I never got bitched at for that kind of thing either. It was one of the things I really liked about working there. Once the idiot dump happened in the first month or so and the managers had a record of behavior to look at, they really put a lot of trust in you to make nonstandard moves as long as they are safe and don't ruin the fantasy. Maybe the Tomorrowland managers at the time were just particularly badass, but I've heard many reports from people that worked other areas and in different time periods and I get the same story from most of them: WDW management is really tolerant of its grunt level employees making their own plays as long as they don't break something or someone.

quote:

We routinely get CPs who have never been in the state and know almost nothing about Disney before working here. I'm pretty sure you got brownie points for knowing what you did.

Yeah you definitely get cred for sperging a little about the parks. The names of rides aren't terribly important, but they obviously like seeing people who are enthusiastic about the experience. Looking back on it, I was excited as hell about the opportunity and I'm pretty standard otherwise, so I assume that's what got me my spot on my first choice ride.

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
My partner and I (both 25) will be coming to Orlando as part of a US trip at the end of April. Unfortunately for us, we've only got 2 full days and 2 half days. We'd also like to get Universal in as well (she really wants to go to the Harry Potter thing). Due to the restricted time we'll probably only do Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. We're pretty active so have no issue with walking and doing mammoth days. Exact dates will be 29/4-2/5 arriving MCO 11:13 and departing 18:57. What are the crowds like around that time? I was thinking we'd hit WDW straight away after arriving and leave Universal to the last day but I don't know what we're going to do about our luggage for that day.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Are there any decent podcasts out there for WDW?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Woo how AP holders are getting access to FP+ and.. magic bands. We got the notification on Friday, logged in and ours are on the way. Why the hell am I so enthused about Magic Bands? Also we are testing out the new FP+ next weekend when we go for my birthday. We'll see.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I got an offer through DVC to renew my annual passes, and they're throwing in the water parks this year. Are Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon worth visiting? I've never been to either of those.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

kri kri posted:

Are there any decent podcasts out there for WDW?

There are far too many Disney podcasts out there, but my favorite is WEDWay Radio.

It's a show hosted by two brothers, and each week they discuss a different aspect of Disney history. Theme park attractions, company history, film retrospectives, etc. And then every Monday they do a show called WEDWay Now, which is sort of a weekly update on the goings-on at WDW/Disneyland and the studios.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but I like that show because it generally covers all the bases.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

For Disney News there's always Inside the Magic (https://www.insidethemagic.net) which also covers the other Orlando area parks, but mostly Disney.

There is also DISUnplugged, which is the podcast arm of the DISboards/WDWInfo (https://www.disunplugged.com) which is a weekly show that covers a variety of topics between news, rumors, planning a vacation (since the whole thing is run by a Disney oriented travel agency, basically) and other stuff. Imet a large portion of the crew at an after hours party they threw at Toy Story Mania and they are all very nice.

I tired to run a podcast about how Disney Rides connect with film and filmmaking, but it only has one episode finished. (https://soundcloud.com/thedh3/great-movie-ride-podcast-episode-2) I should get back on the horse and do more, because it was fun.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 16, 2014

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
If you like water parks, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are about as good as they get. The theming is phenomenal and they each have an awesome signature attraction.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

HPanda posted:

If you like water parks, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are about as good as they get. The theming is phenomenal and they each have an awesome signature attraction.

Nice. I am torn on whether to renew the passes, but if the water parks are that good I may just go for it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

There are far too many Disney podcasts out there, but my favorite is WEDWay Radio.

It's a show hosted by two brothers, and each week they discuss a different aspect of Disney history. Theme park attractions, company history, film retrospectives, etc. And then every Monday they do a show called WEDWay Now, which is sort of a weekly update on the goings-on at WDW/Disneyland and the studios.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but I like that show because it generally covers all the bases.

Thanks. I had already found Dis Unplugged with is pretty decent except for the older woman with short hair.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Here, TheBigBudgetSequel -- I found this in the GIF thread:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Here, TheBigBudgetSequel -- I found this in the GIF thread:

Holy poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yay! Just got off the phone with Braksgirl and i'm definitely going to be at WDW in late October :D

She has been so helpful and i'm actually super jealous of her job now :P She's a fun facilitator of the highest degree.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We got our magic bands today. The funny thing they shipped locally from Davenport which is just up the road one county over. But since they went UPS it first went to Tennessee then to another hub in Virginia before being shipped back to Orlando for delivery. All this and we ordered them on Friday. The packaging is really over the top I think but the personalization is icing on a cake.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

What really irks me about the bands is that they're not reusable. I went to WDW last October and got a full set of bands for my family. I went solo about a month ago and got yet another band. It's so wasteful. I assume they'll make them reusable in the future, or at least I hope they do.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Braksgirl posted:

What really irks me about the bands is that they're not reusable. I went to WDW last October and got a full set of bands for my family. I went solo about a month ago and got yet another band. It's so wasteful. I assume they'll make them reusable in the future, or at least I hope they do.

They are reusable else we would not be getting them as annual passholders. I would hope that they would be able to link your existing band with your MyMagic+ account and it would work any time you visit the parks but then again this is Disney and sometimes things make no sense.

Hopefully this will put a stop the unauthorized ticket re-sellers that are all over the tourist corridor who sell the partial days to unsuspecting tourists.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

We just talked to one of the DVC staff about this a few weeks ago, and apparently the bands will be reusable at some point. But we'll be getting new bands for our July trip.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think the AP members are the long term, reusable use of the bands part of the test since we had to create accounts and link them to our passes then get the bands.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
We got the bands in December as resort guests and used them again in late January as annual passholders. They're reusable in at least some situations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

On one of the recent DIS unplugged episodes they mentioned the bands should be usable for a couple years. It would be nice to be able to just swap the chip out rather then getting a whole new band, but oh well.

Can someone post that link for crowd estimations for WDW?

e: think i found it http://www.easywdw.com/category/calendar/

kri kri fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 18, 2014

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

demonR6 posted:

They are reusable else we would not be getting them as annual passholders. I would hope that they would be able to link your existing band with your MyMagic+ account and it would work any time you visit the parks but then again this is Disney and sometimes things make no sense.

Hopefully this will put a stop the unauthorized ticket re-sellers that are all over the tourist corridor who sell the partial days to unsuspecting tourists.

It makes sense they're good for AP holders, but so far, I've not been able to link a non-AP ticket to a previous band. They're linked to resort reservations currently.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
You can re-use the bands with different resort reservations. It's just a pain in the rear end.

We checked in at Saratoga Springs earlier this year and had our old bands on, but they gave us new ones. All we had to do was step one window over to concierge, and they linked our existing band to our room reservation. That's all we had to do and it only took a few minutes.

However, we were stuck with the new bands. We learned that even if you do re-link your old bands to all your reservations, you are still going to have a brand new set of bands waiting on you when you check in every time.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Doronin posted:

However, we were stuck with the new bands. We learned that even if you do re-link your old bands to all your reservations, you are still going to have a brand new set of bands waiting on you when you check in every time.

That is a horrible waste right there, I hope that gets fixed in the near future. Two more days till we get to use ours!! I have to dig out my Happy Birthday pin from the drawer of random Disney items.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

That is a horrible waste right there, I hope that gets fixed in the near future. Two more days till we get to use ours!! I have to dig out my Happy Birthday pin from the drawer of random Disney items.

I remember Disney saying that once the program is finished rolling out the basics, they'll re-evaluate their distribution of the bands.

I can't imagine new bands for every person every time is cheap on Disney's wallet, so I don't think that will last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
When you take into account how much money they are losing to theft of park passes plus the ongoing issues with the unauthorized ticket vendors I mentioned a few days ago they probably can afford to eat the cost. PM me and we can sidebar this one, but safe to say it is really bad.