Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Season 3 Blu-Ray with fancy sigil slip covers is now down to $30 go go go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
drat, sucks to be Amazon. How good/bad is Best Buy's shipping, generally?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Since the talk is about box sets now, what extra (apart from HD image quality) are included in the BD version that the DVD version doesn't have?

e: never mind, found something on it: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Game-of-Thrones-The-Complete-Second-Season-Blu-ray/47084/#Review

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 14, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Irish Joe posted:

drat, sucks to be Amazon. How good/bad is Best Buy's shipping, generally?

I ordered season 2 from Best Buy last year and it came about two days after release. Kind of annoying if you're in "day 1 must own" mentality, but not that big a deal.

If you have a physical store nearby, you shouldn't have a problem finding the slipcover you want on release day. I don't THINK it'll be more expensive than the online price.

As for exclusive bluray features, my favorite by far is the animated histories narrated by the cast

Edit: if you don't care about retailer exclusives, Amazon will undoubtedly price match it to $30 in the next day or so

Ballz fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 14, 2014

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Best Buy auto matches their own price too, I pre-ordered a while ago and my copy just shipped today and I got refunded 10 bux.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hey, at least shooting arrows from atop a 700 foot wall can be done. You aren't going to hit whatever you aim for, but hey, some arrows could hit Wildlings by accident.

The crazy part was that the Wildings were actually shooting arrows up and hitting men on top of the 700 foot wall.

I know that English longbows could shoot that far horizontally, and that technology is in Westeros, but the much lower tech Wildling bows could never shoot that far, at least not straight up. Especially not with any semblance of accuracy.

Yeah, and English longbow could shoot about 3-400 yards (900-1200 feet), probably more towards the lower end of that, but if you're shooting UP the arrow is going to be slowing down as it rises. Even if they COULD shoot 700 foot straight up, which is exceptionally unlikely, the arrow would barely be moving at that point, you could just pluck it out of the air.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

krushgroove posted:

Since the talk is about box sets now, what extra (apart from HD image quality) are included in the BD version that the DVD version doesn't have?

e: never mind, found something on it: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Game-of-Thrones-The-Complete-Second-Season-Blu-ray/47084/#Review

Here's Season 3: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Game-of-Thrones-The-Complete-Third-Season-Blu-ray/69994/#Review

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This must be another case of me ignoring stuff about the books I didn't think made sense. I could have sworn, though, that they were on the stairs/ in little landings rather than on the top of the wall.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
There's going to be a new trailer this Sunday at 9PM EST, before True Detective (which is also a good show btw)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Professor Shark posted:

This must be another case of me ignoring stuff about the books I didn't think made sense. I could have sworn, though, that they were on the stairs/ in little landings rather than on the top of the wall.

As I recall they were trying to defend the stair case leading up the wall, and then I think they collapsed it at some point?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
GRRM does a lovely little walk-back of the Battle of the Wall in ADWD; one of the people pushing for sealing the Wall entirely says that the wildlings loosed thousands of arrows at the defenders during the battle and only a few dozen made it to the top, and those were carried by errant gusts of wind.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

PittTheElder posted:

As I recall they were trying to defend the stair case leading up the wall, and then I think they collapsed it at some point?

The battle with the collapsing stairs was on the south side, when they were defending against Ygritte and the others who'd scaled the wall with Jon. The "shooting arrows at the top" bit comes later, when Mance attacks the Wall from the north.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

The worst part is that one of those arrows actually kills a brother on top of the wall. Although to be fair to GRRM it's only because the arrow causes him to slip and fall off.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Thanks for that, looks great, I've ordered the 3-season BD set which is 15 discs so I should get all the features and extras for everything so far. Figured I may as well do the upgrade to BD now rather than wait for the series to end.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

krushgroove posted:

Thanks for that, looks great, I've ordered the 3-season BD set which is 15 discs so I should get all the features and extras for everything so far. Figured I may as well do the upgrade to BD now rather than wait for the series to end.

FWIW, the digital coupons that come with the blu-ray sets do have expiration dates. If that matters to you at all, your best bet is to purchase them on release.

edit: Best Buy shipped my set. Amazon screwed the pooch by not lowering their price sooner. Its not as if they don't have crawlers monitoring Best Buy's site 24/7.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 15, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

The worst part is that one of those arrows actually kills a brother on top of the wall. Although to be fair to GRRM it's only because the arrow causes him to slip and fall off.

I can only imagine the Wall being tall enough that you, as the faller, would have just enough time to know what's up and sigh exasperatedly.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I can only imagine the Wall being tall enough that you, as the faller, would have just enough time to know what's up and sigh exasperatedly.

Not again.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Seriously. Who wargs into a roadrunner anyway?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
:siren: Season 4 Trailer #2 :siren:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I wonder if that shot at 1:06 was Tyrion's view of Shae after climbing the ladder to Tywin's chambers.

Lots of good stuff in that trailer, can't wait for this season to start already!

EDIT: got the timestamp wrong

timp fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 17, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Styr still has ears, season ruined.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

timp posted:

I wonder if that shot at 1:06 was Tyrion's view of Shae after climbing the ladder to Tywin's chambers.

Lots of good stuff in that trailer, can't wait for this season to start already!

EDIT: got the timestamp wrong

Yeah, basically has to be. She's all dolled up.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Coldhands at the end maybe, despite the lack of an elk?

Wallet Inspector fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 17, 2014

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

timp posted:

Yeah I thought exactly the same thing.

So much great stuff in that trailer! The siege of Meereen looks amazing, and we get to see Stannis this time!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Oh and it looks like Daario will be fighting the champion of Meereen (I'm pretty sure it's him the knight is charging at 1:17)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I love every time Littlefinger speaks (specifically his facial expressions), it's literally "I'm speaking like a rat".

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

computer parts posted:

I love every time Littlefinger speaks (specifically his facial expressions), it's literally "I'm speaking like a rat".

You know, for the most part I've been OK with the plot changes they've made for the show, but I'm still not sure how I feel about Littlefinger taking Sansa into The Matrix.

(Seriously it's kind of weird that they keep including unfinished VFX shots from the Eyrie in these trailers)

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I like the trailer but not the cover of Cities in Dust. Stoneheart and Coldhands pretty much confirmed though.

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 17, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

ehhh I don't really see anything to indicate that the mounted rider at the end is Coldhands rather than a generic White Walker.

Also, Stoneheart? Where?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Wallet Inspector posted:

Coldhands at the end maybe, despite the lack of an elk?

I just thought it was another White Walker tease, despite the fact they do nothing of importance for at least the next two-and-a-half books. But I like this theory (also: it's not Benjen :unsmigghh: )

HK5000 posted:

I like the trailer but not the cover of Cities in Dust. Stoneheart and Coldhands pretty much confirmed though.

Where's the shot that showed/implied Stoneheart?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I'm positive the rider at the end isn't Coldhands. Unless they changed literally everything about him.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

colonel_korn posted:

Also, Stoneheart? Where?
0:55 is Brienne being tied to a stake. Take it as you will but who else but the scene seems to me like her end in Crows.

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 17, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

In It For The Tank posted:

Yeah, I'm positive the rider at the end isn't Coldhands. Unless they changed literally everything about him.

It wouldn't be the first character they did that to. This guy is not armed (at least not obviously) and the horse doesn't look too corpsy, so it might not be a typical white walker.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

HK5000 posted:

0:55 is Brienne being tied to a stake. Take it as you will but who else but the scene seems to me like her end in Crows where she rats out Jaime to save Podrick and her life.

I think that is Team Dragonstone burning some random woman.

(Why David and Dan? Why do you hate Stannis so much? He burns Alester Florent in the books but that dude betrayed him and tried to hand Shireen over to the Lannisters. Why is he just burning random people now?)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ballz posted:

Season 3 Blu-Ray with fancy sigil slip covers is now down to $30 go go go.

I pre-ordered a while ago when it was over $40, then when the order went through it was down to about $33+tax, and then it went down to $30 but I was still charged $33.

drat you, Best Buy, why don't you have some sort of Pre-Order guarantee like Amazon? It's only $3, but it's MY $3, dammit! :argh:

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

I think that is Team Dragonstone burning someone.
Looking at it again - you're probably right. Seems like that's just another fun time on Dragonstone beach.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

HK5000 posted:

0:55 is Brienne being tied to a stake. Take it as you will but who else but the scene seems to me like her end in Crows.

Pretty sure that's not Brienne, and the shot right before with a bunch of other burning stakes looks like Melisandre and a bunch of Stannis' men.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Was there no mention in the books of Melisandre burning various enemies or suspected traitors besides Florent? I mean, she sees visions of enemies in the fire, and plenty of people wanted to sell Stannis out after the Blackwater goes badly. But yeah, the show's made it a point that Melisandre's been burning all kinds of people who speak out.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Its interesting that they had Arya add Melisandre to her list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

I think that is Team Dragonstone burning some random woman.

(Why David and Dan? Why do you hate Stannis so much? He burns Alester Florent in the books but that dude betrayed him and tried to hand Shireen over to the Lannisters. Why is he just burning random people now?)

He burned some people for favorable winds, didn't he?

And the Melisandre thing makes sense since she took Gendry.

• Locked thread