Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Who are all those white guards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

greatn posted:

Who are all those white guards?

Empire of Sweat I think.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You'd think those uniforms would show stains and be a bitch and a half to clean. Sweat empire should go with more of a yellow brown motif.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

oobey posted:

So far, the only time the Snarl has lashed out has been to attack women. I'm thinking the Snarl is super sexist and actually got locked in its prison on account of being a tremendous douche bag.

We've seen that the Snarl does not wear a fedora.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

greatn posted:

You'd think those uniforms would show stains and be a bitch and a half to clean. Sweat empire should go with more of a yellow brown motif.

The stains are part of the uniform.

Random Stranger posted:

Not yet we haven't

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

oobey posted:

So far, the only time the Snarl has lashed out has been to attack women. I'm thinking the Snarl is super sexist and actually got locked in its prison on account of being a tremendous douche bag.

(SoD spoilers) I'm pretty sure the goblin cleric it lashes out at that led the Dark One to notice the rifts was a dude.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Random Stranger posted:

Maybe in a last ditch slap at the d&d spergs Rich write it so the Snarl is a fedora. THE Fedora even.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Pretty sure it was just being reflected in her eyes. It just looks a bit odd due to the relatively low detail of the strip.

Would there be a reflection when her eyes are all glowy-yellow?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shugojin posted:

(SoD spoilers) I'm pretty sure the goblin cleric it lashes out at that led the Dark One to notice the rifts was a dude.

And there's Kraagor.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If the rift above Gobbotopia starts wigging out the same way the one in the desert is, that might be trouble for Redcloak's "plan B".

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Random Stranger posted:

Now I want to see Rich draw a giant fedora-wearing mass of God-killing tentacles.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Parts Kit posted:

Maybe in a last ditch slap at the d&d spergs Rich write it so the Snarl is a fedora. THE Fedora even.

The Snarl is The Fedora That lies on the heart of the world. The fedora you can never take off.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

A fedora, wearing it's own tiny fedora. In fact, the snarl is just fedoras all the way down.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Shugojin posted:

This encouraged me to break out my copy and re-read it. More Start of Darkness spoilers: At first I was all ready to complain about there being a timeline goof in the book, but then I realized that was a flashback within a flashback so it all adds up fine.

What was REALLY interesting about this re-read was something I'd completely forgotten about, probably because no one ever mentions it.

MAJOR Start of Darkness/Order of the Stick Spoiler, Yes, The Future Too Technically
Don't read if you want to be completely surprised!

If you'll recall, recently Redcloak went to great lengths to duplicate Xykon's Phylactery and (I assume) gave him the fake one. This seemed to finally put him one step ahead of Xykon.

And maybe whatever he did or plans to do with the real phylactery (Would Xykon know if it were destroyed?) will prove to be Xykon's undoing. However, there's still one detail that Redcloak is not privy to.

Xykon implanted a secret order for the MITD to eat Redcloak and spit out his gold chain/Phylactery if Redcloak ever betrayed him.

I think that is quite literally going to come back to - well you know. :v:

I think Rich was mistaken in his preface/forward/whatever when he said the book was optional when it contains such a significant unfired Chekhov's Gun that far in advance. The book was written what, 7 years ago? And this info has never appeared in the main strip to my knowledge.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It'll almost certainly come up and people mention it from time to time, it'll just be a part of the final showdown and nobody's exactly sure where it'll turn up. Perhaps Redcloak will think he's got Xykon beat only for the hypnotic suggestion to kick in and MitD kills him, getting Xykon his phylactery back?

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I don't get this reference and Google isn't helping. Now I'm picturing the Snarl in a fedora, sitting on a futon, reviewing bad comic books. Could someone enlighten me, please?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheAceOfLungs posted:

I don't get this reference and Google isn't helping. Now I'm picturing the Snarl in a fedora, sitting on a futon, reviewing bad comic books. Could someone enlighten me, please?

The fedora is the chosen headwear of intolerable internet assholes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Fedoras are associated with Reddit. Reddit is associated with Mens Rights Activists, Pick Up Artists, and... Really, lots of misogyny in general. Ergo, fedoras are associated with sexists.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regalingualius posted:

Fedoras are associated with Reddit. Reddit is associated with Mens Rights Activists, Pick Up Artists, and... Really, lots of misogyny in general. Ergo, fedoras are associated with sexists.

Well, it's more direct than that; some MRAs have outright declared the fedora as their symbol. (Which, given its origins, is rather ironic, but that's beside the point.)

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The fedora is the chosen headwear of intolerable internet assholes.

Ah, thanks.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Zogundar posted:

I think Rich was mistaken in his preface/forward/whatever when he said the book was optional when it contains such a significant unfired Chekhov's Gun that far in advance. The book was written what, 7 years ago? And this info has never appeared in the main strip to my knowledge.

Well I think the huge stretch of time is what makes it optional. We'll get an online-comic shot of that scene well in advance of anything happening, and everyone who's read SoD will just get to feel special that we've been waiting X years for the payoff.

My bet is that we'll see some character development from the Monster-in-the-Dark that will include a series of reverse-chronological flashbacks of his life with Redcloak and Xykon. It'll include the SoD stuff, reveal multiple backstabbing plots (since that's the current arc for Team Evil) and culminate in a reveal about the monster's true identity from before he joined the team.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

What about my newsboy cap...

Its not associated bad other than maybe pretentiousness? :ohdear:

e:

Dolash posted:

It'll almost certainly come up and people mention it from time to time, it'll just be a part of the final showdown and nobody's exactly sure where it'll turn up. Perhaps Redcloak will think he's got Xykon beat only for the hypnotic suggestion to kick in and MitD kills him, getting Xykon his phylactery back?

The question is, WHICH one will MitD eat? The fake or the real one? Or will it factor in that the MitD is smarter and more observant than he looks and might be able to know Redcloak has the real one?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 18, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chauvinists with a stunted sense of masculinity chose the fedora as the symbol of everything they don't understand but still wish they possessed. By wearing it badly while belonging to the most repellent social movement in recent memory, they have done to that innocent hat what Hitler did to Charlie Chaplin's mustache.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Chauvinists with a stunted sense of masculinity chose the fedora as the symbol of everything they don't understand but still wish they possessed. By wearing it badly while belonging to the most repellent social movement in recent memory, they have done to that innocent hat what Hitler did to Charlie Chaplin's mustache.

So who is the J. Jonah Jameson in this example that bucks the trend and still makes it look good?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The dude from White Collar?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Potsticker posted:

So who is the J. Jonah Jameson in this example that bucks the trend and still makes it look good?
Women.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

:golfclap:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

The question is, WHICH one will MitD eat? The fake or the real one? Or will it factor in that the MitD is smarter and more observant than he looks and might be able to know Redcloak has the real one?

Related to the Start of Darkness spoilers:
Xykon took the fake one and dumped it off into his extraplanar fortress. Of course, that doesn't mean Redcloak will necessarily keep it on his person.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wittgen posted:

The dude from White Collar?
The best part is that episode with the rich nerd trying to pull it off.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dolash posted:

Back, nothing. Xykon waves his hand, saying "Don't bother spitting it back up" because he thinks Redcloak has the fake one. The phylactery ends up dissolving in the MITD.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ursine Asylum posted:

Back, nothing. Xykon waves his hand, saying "Don't bother spitting it back up" because he thinks Redcloak has the fake one. The phylactery ends up dissolving in the MITD.

Xykon doesn't know the fake one exists.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

sebmojo posted:

He doesn't know about the fake, but he believes his phylactery is safe in his astral fortress when it's actually hidden in Redcloak's pocket.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

sebmojo posted:

Oh, right. For some reason I thought Xykon gave him a different-but-similar holy symbol to use.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ursine Asylum posted:

Oh, right. For some reason I thought Xykon gave him a different-but-similar holy symbol to use.

Xykon never gave any holy symbol to Redcloak. Why would he even have one of the Dark One's holy symbols? Redcloak had two holy symbols (plus a copy that may or may not work as a holy symbol), and used his main one to make Xykon's phylactery when he turned him into a lich. That's why he kept Xykon's phylactery, an arrangement which Xykon didn't bother to change until Redcloak lost it (and fled the combat zone to search his backup symbol). Redcloak had a copy of his main holy symbol made to fool Xykon into believing he was giving him his phylactery back when in fact it was a fake.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah. The holy symbol that Recloak uses around his neck now is a totally different diamond-shaped one; he's keeping the real phylactery hidden.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

So Rich did sort of an impromptu Q&A on his Twitter last night. Some good answers and not so good answers in there. Probably the biggest takeaway, for me, is that we have at least three more years of OOTS by his estimate.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I found the part about the important female character interesting, as she is apparently already introduced. I guess that measn that Laurin will stick around a little.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Laurin, Lien, Nyu, Bandana, there's no shortage of potential candidates (my money would be on Laurin as well though).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mine's on Lien; she and O'Chul are off by themselves and prime candidates to reenter the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Laurin would give a way for the Snarl to directly interact and speak with people though, so that seems likely.