Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

I am kind of terrible at this game. I'm playing on normal with perma-death on, and I lost at least one character every other story mission. Am I going to be unable to finish, or are replacement characters given fairly often?

Also, how do you check your weapon durability outside of battle?

Awakening has a lot less new units compared to most of the other games, so yeah, losing one guy every other chapter might leave you high and dry. You can recruit units from other games though with the bonus box thing, although they don't get supports, so you're never gonna be left high and dry, and the Avatar's Veteran ability more or less means that you can solo the entire game with them. You might just wanna consider resetting (L+R+Start) if it's not particularly early on in the mission, unless it's someone like Vaike or Virion who you were gonna bench anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
My maiden voyage is going well so far - I'm at Chapter 8, but playing Paralogue 3/fighting the roaming packs that have begun to spawn. Pairing up suddenly "clicked" for me, in that I realized if I paired everyone up it would help me kill faster and die less. Haven't had any new casualties, although I have had a few maps go sour and result in Chrom/Avatar getting killed. Lots of people are starting to hit 10 and get their second perks, so it's starting to feel like the tide is turning in my favor.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Bass Bottles posted:

I am kind of terrible at this game. I'm playing on normal with perma-death on, and I lost at least one character every other story mission. Am I going to be unable to finish, or are replacement characters given fairly often?

Also, how do you check your weapon durability outside of battle?

Honestly I think you'll be fine. While you get fewer late-game units than in other games in the series, the ones you get are pretty good. Past that, as long as you're leveling up Chrom and your Avatar, you should be fine. On Normal, once they get going you can pretty easily just have them pair up and wreck everything, even if you're bad at the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Geight posted:

My maiden voyage is going well so far - I'm at Chapter 8, but playing Paralogue 3/fighting the roaming packs that have begun to spawn. Pairing up suddenly "clicked" for me, in that I realized if I paired everyone up it would help me kill faster and die less. Haven't had any new casualties, although I have had a few maps go sour and result in Chrom/Avatar getting killed. Lots of people are starting to hit 10 and get their second perks, so it's starting to feel like the tide is turning in my favor.

Just so you know, if you're planning on promoting, it's best to wait until level 20 since the game assumes you're level 21 anyway and adjusts your experience gain accordingly. It doesn't really matter too much since Awakening lets you level indefinitely with Second Seals, and you should probably go ahead and do it anyhow if you're struggling with a map and need the extra power, but it's something to keep in mind.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Alright, I'm thinking about starting up my first Lunatic run here and I'm going to go full grindfest/eugenics/limit-breaking asshollery. What sick stat/skill combos has this thread found helpful?

I'm thinking of running with a Swordfaire/Axefaire/Galeforce/Vantage Hero Morgan with the Sol and Vengeance weapons, but I'm deathly afraid that I might be under-using him somehow.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Roger Explosion posted:

Alright, I'm thinking about starting up my first Lunatic run here and I'm going to go full grindfest/eugenics/limit-breaking asshollery. What sick stat/skill combos has this thread found helpful?

I'm thinking of running with a Swordfaire/Axefaire/Galeforce/Vantage Hero Morgan with the Sol and Vengeance weapons, but I'm deathly afraid that I might be under-using him somehow.

Galeforce/Tomefaire/Armsthrift/Vantage/Luna Sorcerer with Nosferatus eats the game alive.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Roger Explosion posted:

Are you looking for in-game advice or post-game advice?

e: For ingame, just make Avatar a sorcerer. Seriously, that's all that's necessary. Post-game is a lot more words.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Post-game. The game itself can be skill/level-grinded into oblivion, I wager. I just want to bowl a few folk over when I go to a StreetPass meet-up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Roger Explosion posted:

Post-game. The game itself can be skill/level-grinded into oblivion, I wager. I just want to bowl a few folk over when I go to a StreetPass meet-up.

Just get Counter on as many Sorcerors wielding Nosferatu as you can. Try to spread around Miracle (that's the one that lets you survive at 1 HP, isn't it?) and Lethality if you can for added dickishness.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I've never liked Lethality. I know an insta-kill is cool and all, but you really have to pump Luck in order to make it not have a dick% chance of actually triggering.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Roger Explosion posted:

I've never liked Lethality. I know an insta-kill is cool and all, but you really have to pump Luck in order to make it not have a dick% chance of actually triggering.

That's fair, but if your goal is to dick over people with your streetpass team, you want to make things as bullshit as possible. Just slap Limit Breaker on everyone so they'll have a higher luck stat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roger Explosion posted:

It's a Skill/4 chance, not luck.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the ultimate way to dick people over with streetpass would be something like,

Limit Breaker/Luna/Vantage/Armsthrift/Tomefaire for your Sorcerers and Limit Breaker/Armsthrift/*faire/Luna/Sol for everyone else. Forged Aversa's Nights and Ragnell, etc for all!

You could also have a hilariously dickish Nah with Limit Breaker/Aegis/Pavise/Sol/Luna.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

My Sumia turned out pretty bonkers this run through. At level 5 to 1 compared to Cordelia, she's got the same strength, but like 5-10 more skill and speed. She just runs around gibbing chumps like it's nobody's business.

Also, I hitched Donny and Nowi because it made me the least uncomfortable. Their child is gonna be an unholy murder machine, it's gonna own bones.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Both Peg Knights always fall off in usefulness for me post-promotion. They're great for the first 20 levels but they choke the second I hand them a Master Seal.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I never had an issue with Cordelia as she always turns out to be a solid character until I can unleash the monster that is her child.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The ultimate streetpass bullshit team is Snipers using longbows with Lethality, Pass, Limit Break, Miracle, and Counter. This setup guarantees a kill on their softest target or just Lethality procs happening, and any attack they hit you with either risks a counterattack from bows or procs counter with the risk of miracle screwing them over. Remember, the win condition is for your team to kill even a single one of their units so they have to restart, so a team that's guaranteed to gently caress them up before they finish with it is the best option.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 18, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

Skills like Counter and Lethality aren't great for the main game, but in street pass your only goal is to make the other guy restart or lose a unit. It's completely different. You could even make a case for using stuff like Iote's Shield on a street pass team.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Do you guys really make it a goal to inconvenience strangers you never meet? Why not load up your army with stat items and brave weapons before sending it out and make some chump's grind a little easier?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Do you guys really make it a goal to inconvenience strangers you never meet? Why not load up your army with stat items and brave weapons before sending it out and make some chump's grind a little easier?

Because inconveniencing strangers is way, way funnier. :shepface:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

There's like a million ways to break the game though, what's the harm in making something that can actually kill you?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is it really an inconvenience? You can view map when you're deploying units and see all the lethalies and poo poo. Then you can just exit if you don't feel up to the challenge.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Just so you know, if you're planning on promoting, it's best to wait until level 20 since the game assumes you're level 21 anyway and adjusts your experience gain accordingly. It doesn't really matter too much since Awakening lets you level indefinitely with Second Seals, and you should probably go ahead and do it anyhow if you're struggling with a map and need the extra power, but it's something to keep in mind.

I played sacred stones awhile back, so I was already planning on keeping my dudes as whatever class they are until 20. I'm a little hazy on the Second Seals and the levelling indefinitely part, though. Can everyone just hit their stat caps eventually, if they switch classes enough?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Geight posted:

I played sacred stones awhile back, so I was already planning on keeping my dudes as whatever class they are until 20. I'm a little hazy on the Second Seals and the levelling indefinitely part, though. Can everyone just hit their stat caps eventually, if they switch classes enough?
That's exactly it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

That's a surprisingly forgiving change compared to what I'm used to, which is "Sorry dude who hasn't gained any strength the past five levels, you're riding the bench."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geight posted:

That's a surprisingly forgiving change compared to what I'm used to, which is "Sorry dude who hasn't gained any strength the past five levels, you're riding the bench."

Growth rates are actually pretty high this time around compared to previous games. I don't think I've ever seen any character just completely ignore their strength for 5 straight levels this game unless they've capped that stat.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I guess thinking about it, I really only have had a few level-ups worthy of rolling my eyes at. The cool thing is that in this game, Lon'Qu is also disappointed when he only gains +1 MAG from levelling. :haw:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Growth rates are actually pretty high this time around compared to previous games. I don't think I've ever seen any character just completely ignore their strength for 5 straight levels this game unless they've capped that stat.

That's my Chrom in my current hard run. Poor bastard is level 17 with a scant 12 strength. Ended up using an energy drop cuz hey, It's Chrom, what else can you do?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE loving MOON posted:

That's my Chrom in my current hard run. Poor bastard is level 17 with a scant 12 strength. Ended up using an energy drop cuz hey, It's Chrom, what else can you do?
Meanwhile, that's average to good for a level 17 Eliwood. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

I actually plan to do both. Team full of Counter/Lethality assassins that are also loaded up with a bunch of stat boosters.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE loving MOON posted:

Level 15 Miriel with 7 Magic on my run. Which is a shame because Miriel's usually quite good since she can be a Dark Mage and gets an innate +2 Magic from Mage to pump it up a bit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Level 15 Miriel with 7 Magic

:suicide:

Awakening has made me forget about the horrors of terrible level RNG. That's just awful.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

:suicide:

Awakening has made me forget about the horrors of terrible level RNG. That's just awful.

It's kind of funny how they made all these changes to make the game more approachable to newer players, but they won't let go of random growths. I mean, I've heard some people saying it adds replayability, but it's the exact opposite to me; if there's a chance units like Guy and Dorcas are gonna get screwed on an already low growth, then it doesn't make sense to use them over the really good units that fill the same essential niche, no matter how many times I play.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I'm struggling with chapter 11, where you fight Gangrel and first get the dancer. I keep losing multiple characters in quick succession because I get overwhelmed by the huge amount of enemy soldiers. I'm not sure how to deal with this when getting close enough to attack them means opening up a unit to 3 or 4 attacks in a row.

Should I be grinding in this game? So far I haven't, is that the problem? Or maybe i should just re-start and try casual mode. Perma-death is really stressing me out :(

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 19, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm struggling with chapter 11, where you fight Gangrel and first get the dancer. I keep losing multiple characters in quick succession because I get overwhelmed by the huge amount of enemy soldiers. I'm not sure how to deal with this when getting close enough to attack them means opening up a unit to 3 or 4 attacks in a row.

Should I be grinding in this game? So far I haven't, is that the problem? Or maybe i should just re-start and try casual mode. Perma-death is really stressing me out :(

First, you closed your spoiler tags incorrectly. You should go fix that.

Second, I tend to take that chapter kinda slow, keeping my guys close together and moving maybe 3 squares forward and keeping out of range of the final gauntlet until I think I'm ready. You shouldn't have to grind, just keep your characters paired up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm struggling with chapter 11, where you fight [spoiler]Gangrel and first get the dancer.{/spoiler} I keep losing multiple characters in quick succession because I get overwhelmed by the huge amount of enemy soldiers. I'm not sure how to deal with this when getting close enough to attack them means opening up a unit to 3 or 4 attacks in a row.

Chug the temporary stat booster potions like they're going out of style. +2 sounds minor, but that's 4 more damage if you attack twice, or -8 damage if four units attack you, which adds up fast. Have someone with good resistance tank the east side of the map with the mages and sage, like Libra or Nowi. Or Nowi paired up with Libra. Gangrel and his team doesn't move until you aggro one of them, so you can exhaust the reinforcements and set everyone up to dogpile Gangrel by baiting one of the generics. The mages were definitely the worst part of the map for me, so having someone to deal with them tones down the difficulty a lot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Random growths is like the main thing separating it from other strategy games. You might as well suggest playing a different franchise if you want random growths out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Some people like a challenge. There are stores that sell brave weapons anyway and you can't buy legendary weapons or stat boosters from spotpass teams, though if you're trying to make the hardest challenge possible then of course everything will have a brave weapon. I also don't see how it's an inconvenience when you can just ignore the team entirely or buy something from them to make them disappear forever.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

Random growths is like the main thing separating it from other strategy games. You might as well suggest playing a different franchise if you want random growths out.

I thought the gameplay being closer to Advance Wars with RPG elements than a JRPG with grid-based combat like Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea was the main thing. And the 30+ unique units with their own backstory in a series with perma-death, which pressures the player to not screw up. And frequently having side objectives in a given chapter to achieve like saving villages, stealing rare items, and keeping enemy thieves away from treasure chests that forces the player to actually think about where to place their units. And the finite resources. Especially compared to all the other stuff Awakening simplified or relegated to paralouges, fixed growths seems really minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tae posted:

Having both fixed growths and 0% growths as options you can pick would be super cool to see in future games. Also having growths be visible.

• Locked thread