Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Well that was fun. Haters gonna hate, but I really enjoyed the Titanfall beta - a nice twist to the COD/Halo fps; I felt like I did when I started playing Gears the first time. Anyway, are there any good pre-order bonuses for Titanfall? I don't normally do pre-orders, but with the right bait I could be taken in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, there's no reason at all to preorder Titanfall.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

porktree posted:

Well that was fun. Haters gonna hate, but I really enjoyed the Titanfall beta - a nice twist to the COD/Halo fps; I felt like I did when I started playing Gears the first time. Anyway, are there any good pre-order bonuses for Titanfall? I don't normally do pre-orders, but with the right bait I could be taken in.

Your choices are a small poster or a keychain. There are no in-game bonuses being offered at all.

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
word of warning to anyone that ordered Game of Thrones Season 3 BluRay this week - the Xbox One will currently not play it - results in a black screen (it isn't just me, happens to every xbox one and this series for whatever reason). I've heard some reports saying it happens on the PS4 as well, but can't confirm.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

univbee posted:

Your choices are a small poster or a keychain.

The poster is A3 for PC pre orders and A4 for Xbone.

I AM JOKING

I had fun with the beta, will wait and see what happens to the price as time goes by.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And the PS3 does, so it's probably not as simple as a Bluray software update.

I mean I'm sure an update will fix it, but if it's not a Bluray thing it means the wait is probably longer.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Shalinor posted:

It kinda makes you wonder if consoles will hit anything near an 8 year cycle this time. Seems like the XB One will be especially creaky in 8 years, and both having gone for a more reasonable price (once the Kinectless SKU hits) means a shorter generation has less sting.

The 1080p thing on its own doesn't bother me much - I've been playing Titanfall for a few days now and it looks great, but it's comments from developers that have me a bit worried. Some of them have mentioned that they're pushing the Xbone GPU quite hard already, even at 720p. I know that it takes time for developers to get used to new consoles etc., but since these new ones are pretty much PCs, it doesn't seem they have a lot of learning the ropes to do.

Or am I wrong? I have no clue about software development.

I hope the Kinect improves with time, too. I'd say about 40% of the time I say something, it doesn't respond to me at all. Hand gestures are also only getting picked up sporadically. I've reconfigured it a few times and it doesn't seem to help much. I find it next to useless when trying to select the smaller things on screen on the dashboard.

There's also a bit of system instability - sometimes when I put the machine in standby mode, start it up again and resume the game I left off, the game itself doesn't detect controller presses, so I have to go to the dashboard and quit.

porktree posted:

Well that was fun. Haters gonna hate, but I really enjoyed the Titanfall beta - a nice twist to the COD/Halo fps; I felt like I did when I started playing Gears the first time.

Oh, samesies. I went back to Battlefield 4 for a while after playing it and I felt like my wings (jetpack) had been clipped. It really makes Call of Duty in particular feel old-fashioned.

smokestersky
Aug 30, 2007

This is the song that never ends
It just goes 'round and 'round, my friends
Some people started singing it
Not knowing what it was
And we continue singing it forever just because

Shalinor posted:

It kinda makes you wonder if consoles will hit anything near an 8 year cycle this time. Seems like the XB One will be especially creaky in 8 years, and both having gone for a more reasonable price (once the Kinectless SKU hits) means a shorter generation has less sting.

I don't think it'd be possible at all this time. Consider how many features both previous consoles received during their lifetimes. Then, also consider how digital distribution has taken off. Then, also consider how computer part manufacturing has changed. All those things will improve vastly in another 5-10 years. We can't even predict what sort of technological improvements we'll get.

Hell, at the start of last generation, people didn't think that the vast majority of video gaming would eventually take place on your phone.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh, samesies. I went back to Battlefield 4 for a while after playing it and I felt like my wings (jetpack) had been clipped. It really makes Call of Duty in particular feel old-fashioned.

Yeah, I have been really pleasantly surprised by Titanfall as well. Everyone here on Games seems to hate it and I hate CoD and everyone was saying it was just CoD in space or whatever. But it actually really loving fun and doesnt feel much like CoD at all to me. So I have that to look forward to at least with the XBONE.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The 1080p thing on its own doesn't bother me much - I've been playing Titanfall for a few days now and it looks great, but it's comments from developers that have me a bit worried. Some of them have mentioned that they're pushing the Xbone GPU quite hard already, even at 720p. I know that it takes time for developers to get used to new consoles etc., but since these new ones are pretty much PCs, it doesn't seem they have a lot of learning the ropes to do.

The Xbox One GPU is basically a R7 260 with a ~10% OS reservation, downclocked to 853mhz, and a worse memory architecture. They're struggling with the GPU because its an extremely weak GPU that has been kneecapped further by console constraints and design decisions Microsoft chose.

Developers and Microsoft can improve the situation over time but they are still constrained by the hardware limitations. I suspect that is where the 53mhz upclock and rumours of the OS reservation being dropped significantly come from. People are struggling with the limited hardware specs and they need all they can get.

For reference, the PS4 is basically a R7 265 that trades 125mhz clock speed for 2 more computer units and a bunch of compute modifications. If you look at PC benchmarks, its clear why multiplatform developers are struggling with one console more than the other.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Shalinor posted:

Seeing how things have gone in the last few years, they'll both be old news in a few development cycles. I'm historically pretty staunchly console, but I'm definitely interested in Steamboxes or mid-level gaming PCs, because Xbox and Playstation both loving suck this gen.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

jeffreyw posted:

The Xbox One GPU is basically a R7 260 with a ~10% OS reservation, downclocked to 853mhz, and a worse memory architecture. They're struggling with the GPU because its an extremely weak GPU that has been kneecapped further by console constraints and design decisions Microsoft chose.

See, this is what I can't get my head around. If the GPU is considered "extremely weak" from the outset, what hope is there that things will improve instead of get worse in the years to come. I mean have we already reached the height of what the Xbone can do graphically, or is it too soon to tell?

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

univbee posted:

Your choices are a small poster or a keychain. There are no in-game bonuses being offered at all.

Microsoft offers a $10 gift care if you pre-order from them.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

See, this is what I can't get my head around. If the GPU is considered "extremely weak" from the outset, what hope is there that things will improve instead of get worse in the years to come. I mean have we already reached the height of what the Xbone can do graphically, or is it too soon to tell?

If you compare it to the PS4 then it won't really get better. If you compare it to itself right now it will probably get better.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
EDIT: ^^ what he said basically

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's too soon to tell. You can talk how they're "like a PC" all you want, but that doesn't mean there's no optimizations to be found. If anyone cared to put a TON of time into it, they could squeeze a bunch more power out of every desktop GPU too... they just don't, because there are a billion of them and you have to write generalist code in general.

How much is there to be found is debatable. It won't really change the PS4 vs XB One picture, though, because the same is true of the PS4 - that's more of a debate related to how long this gen can last before the consoles get embarrassingly out of date.

(I'm also thinking more Steambox this gen, and it wouldn't surprise me if this was the last "true console" generation - if the things are just PCs anyways, releasing new model revisions every year and transitioning to a more PC-in-a-box-that-isn't-really-customizable-but-is-cheaper-by-volume model makes a bunch of sense... nobody gives a drat what's in the box, they just want to buy X box and know it can play Y games with zero fuss)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shalinor posted:

(I'm also thinking more Steambox this gen, and it wouldn't surprise me if this was the last "true console" generation - if the things are just PCs anyways, releasing new model revisions every year and transitioning to a more PC-in-a-box-that-isn't-really-customizable-but-is-cheaper-by-volume model makes a bunch of sense... nobody gives a drat what's in the box, they just want to buy X box and know it can play Y games with zero fuss)

Subliminal. :tinfoil:

There were suspicions that, if Sony's Gaikai solution works really well they might just gradually migrate to that. It's kind of like the theory that there might not be a 4K media format and that resolution will be exclusively available via online services, although a next-next-gen gaming equivalent to this would likely require an impossible level of worldwide infrastructure upgrades, unless they did things in a way where, for example, you had a retail PS4 version that maxed out at 1080p, and an online-based PS4K edition which is basically the same code but running at a higher res/with extra bells and whistles. Kind of like the difference between a PC game running things on "high" and an online streaming service running the same thing on "Ultra".

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

The Penny Arcade folks seem rather smitten with Titanfall, andI find their opinions repectable:

Titanfall is not hard to play, its traversal doesn’t reveal itself fully without experience in actual environments. You start to find intentional “lines” through places, in the manner of Tony Hawk’s baggage carousel, that give you material advantages. And then, you’re just… lost. It’s got you. It’s not atomized: that’s the fear, when you see this two (I might argue three) tiered gameplay. That the two don’t really inform each other. It ain’t the case. There’s a sort of foodie pub type place near the office where they make a cheeseburger not by placing cheese on a burger, but by ladling some kind of elixir over it. We asked what it was, and they said it was a mixture of beer and cheese. I nodded, slowly. Yes. I understood, now.

Titanfall is beer cheese. And once you’ve had it, other things feel like settling.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

The Penny Arcade folks seem rather smitten with Titanfall, andI find their opinions repectable:

Titanfall is not hard to play, its traversal doesn’t reveal itself fully without experience in actual environments. You start to find intentional “lines” through places, in the manner of Tony Hawk’s baggage carousel, that give you material advantages. And then, you’re just… lost. It’s got you. It’s not atomized: that’s the fear, when you see this two (I might argue three) tiered gameplay. That the two don’t really inform each other. It ain’t the case. There’s a sort of foodie pub type place near the office where they make a cheeseburger not by placing cheese on a burger, but by ladling some kind of elixir over it. We asked what it was, and they said it was a mixture of beer and cheese. I nodded, slowly. Yes. I understood, now.

Titanfall is beer cheese. And once you’ve had it, other things feel like settling.

That's pretty dramatic, but I will say that Titanfall is the first game in forever that I've had fun playing winning or losing equally. Extraction or whatever is especially a nice touch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Titanfall is gross snack dip for fat people.

...Actually they might have nailed that.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Development tools are always improving and new techniques always come into the fold. People were crowing that the PS3 and 360 had peaked 2-3 years into their lives and yet the games coming out this past year are dramatically more impressive than those early titles.

Also, good art and smart game design always trumps raw performance.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Crosspostin' from the PS4 thread since this is a multiplatform game--

New Wolfenstein trailer.

Looks pretty good to me. Also, if you preorder, you'll get an insert with the copy of the game that you can use to register for the Doom 4 (just titled "Doom" now) beta.

e: i spel gud

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 19, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That looks really uninteresting and leaves me with no hope for Doom IV: The Rebootening.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

That looks really uninteresting and leaves me with no hope for Doom IV: The Rebootening.

Yeah, that looks monumentally unappealing to me as well. But the last Return to Wolfenstein had a really terrible single player that was saved by awesome multiplayer. Unfortunately, the multiplayer shooter landscape is pretty dense now, so I dont know if that will save it or not this time. And yeah, the sequels to doom/quake need to stop.

Blue Raider posted:

That's pretty dramatic, but I will say that Titanfall is the first game in forever that I've had fun playing winning or losing equally. Extraction or whatever is especially a nice touch.

My favorite part about Tycho's posts on PA is that they all contain that level of drama. I do, however, think that Titanfall is tough to wrap your head around in terms of how the pieces fit together and how its all balanced which is what he is getting at. But the pieces do fit together and its pretty cool when you start to really experience it and realize how it all works. It takes things I really like about Battlefield and Unreal Tournament and Tribes and makes them work well together.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 19, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Aphrodite posted:

No, there's no reason at all to preorder AAA games.

Fix'd. But seriously, unless it's an indie game or a niche publisher (or a limited edition from a niche publisher), don't do it.

Shalinor posted:

Eh, I'd be inclined to disagree. Ignoring inflation, the PS4 launched for about the same money as the "with hard drive" edition of the 360 did, and the launch price didn't stop developers wringing every last drop of power out of the 360 (or the PS3, for that matter). The big problem is that right now, the Xbone is more expensive than the PS4 for no good reason, which is being reflected in the sale figures. But then again, both consoles are pretty drat weak compared to PC hardware: we're seeing £150 graphics cards that can outperform the Xbone on stuff like Titanfall already.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, that looks monumentally unappealing to me as well. But the last Return to Wolfenstein had a really terrible single player that was saved by awesome multiplayer. Unfortunately, the multiplayer shooter landscape is pretty dense now, so I dont know if that will save it or not this time. And yeah, the sequels to doom/quake need to stop.

This one is SP only so...

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This one is SP only so...

welp there goes that. Yeah, its gonna be lovely then. Predicted Metacritic rating - 81

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

welp there goes that. Yeah, its gonna be lovely then. Predicted Metacritic rating - 81

That seems way, way too high. Its gonna be a buffet of 6/10s.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

So a 3/5ths compromise in a game about Nazis?

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

reviewers are pretty dumb though - its going to be a bad game but I think its going to get a bunch of 7s and 8s but the reviews wont give any good reason why. "Good graphics, intense action sequences, campy tone intertwined with legitimate drama!"

Edit - I mean the Wolfenstein remake a few years ago was horrific and still has like a 75 on MC

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 19, 2014

OozieNelson
Dec 20, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

I think the only other option is to have Kinect sign you in. I didn't see another choice when I looked the other day.

Can you explain this to me? Like when I sit in front of my Xbox my Kinect is supposed to recognize me? How does it do this?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

OozieNelson posted:

Can you explain this to me? Like when I sit in front of my Xbox my Kinect is supposed to recognize me? How does it do this?

I don't know how it works, but it will indeed recognize you and sign you in. Mostly, you'll be signed in by the time the dashboard boots, so it seems like you're automatically signed in. There's something to do with infrared signals from the controller to the kinect as well.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

OozieNelson posted:

It remembers your face. Sometimes I have to lean forward a bit to get the angle right, but it's okay I guess.

They ask you to put it higher up, I believe, but mine has to sit lower so that's probably why it's not perfect.

e: This also works without holding the controller. One cool thing I noticed is that it will switch between profiles on the home screen based on who's holding the controller.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

OozieNelson posted:

I dunno, if I am sitting where the Kinect can see me, when I turn on the xbone, it just says "Hi WinnebagoWarrior!" and shows my tag thingie and logs me in instantly when I turn it on. Similarly, when my girlfriend walksthrough the room it says "Hi, (her name)!". Does your not do this?

\/\/\/\/\/ oh, I didnt know you had to set it up to do that

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 19, 2014

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

OozieNelson posted:

When you first put your profile on the box, it will ask if you want to sign in with Kinect. Then it makes sure it can see you, and from then on it should sign you in automatically whenever it sees you clearly.

If it doesn't work well, or you didn't set it up in the first place, you can do this again by clicking on your profile icon in the home screen, and choosing "I wasn't recognized" to do the setup again.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
So is this the thread to ask about where I can find an upcoming release schedule for the xbox? I played a little bit of the Titanfall beta and to be honest after playing some matches it just feels like its not my thing. Don't want to derail with why. I just want to know what else is coming out that's not multiplatform.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zahi posted:

So is this the thread to ask about where I can find an upcoming release schedule for the xbox? I played a little bit of the Titanfall beta and to be honest after playing some matches it just feels like its not my thing. Don't want to derail with why. I just want to know what else is coming out that's not multiplatform.

The only exclusive game that has a release date is Kinect Sports Rivals (March 25th). There's also Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare as a timed exclusive. Everything else is either also coming out on PS4, or isn't coming out anytime soon.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Zahi posted:

I think Kinect Sports Rivals is the only exclusive with a date set.
edit: beaten

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Beyond set dates there's other stuff that's probably this year like Quantum Break, D4, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 2 AE (if voice of Master Chief is to be believed), Below, Fable Legends, Project Spark, Fantasia: Music Evolved, Kinect Sports something or other and that Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare game.

Some of those are probably going to '15, but :shrug:.

E3 should be fun for both consoles this year.

e: Steve Downes walked some of what he said back, but he could have been reprimanded by MS and tried to fix what he said.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 20, 2014

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Zophar posted:

Development tools are always improving and new techniques always come into the fold. People were crowing that the PS3 and 360 had peaked 2-3 years into their lives and yet the games coming out this past year are dramatically more impressive than those early titles.

Also, good art and smart game design always trumps raw performance.

Maybe, but it's not really comparable, the gap this time, hardware wise, (between Xbone and PS4, that is) is much wider. There's only so much you can do to optimize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I just wanted to play a couple more Titanfall matches when I came home from work and...and....the beta servers are offline.

I...NEED MY FIX! My body feels so cold...Hearing "Acknowledged. Standby for Titanfall", "ENGAGING FOLLOW MODE", and "ENGAGING GUARD MODE" are now but distant memories...

It's a good thing that March 11th is right around the corner....right? Right, guys?

*looks at calendar*

:smithicide:

• Locked thread