Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So the guy playing Mace this season was quoted in an interview saying that he basically had no idea who he or any of the other characters were when they started filming :laffo:
Not exactly encouraging, although I suppose it might be appropriate given the character he's playing.

WiC.net posted:

Ashton-Griffiths confirms that he hasn’t read the A Song of Ice and Fire books and in fact hadn’t seen any episodes of the television series before being cast, though he did watch season two after doing some filming. He acknowledges he would have played his scenes differently if he had seen season two beforehand.

He tells Dawn, “On the first day in Belfast, I was expecting some kind of an introductory pack telling me who was who, how they were related and what had happened until now. I got nothing. I woke up in the morning, wore my costume, went on to the set and was told ‘Oh, good morning! Here is your place. ACTION!” The scene was one with Tyrion, Tywin and Cersei and the actor adds, “I didn’t know they were all related!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
"Oh hi, what's going on here? I have quite fancy clothes, am I important? Say, you lot are all blonde! Are you related?"

...yeah, they cast Mace Tyrell dead-on.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Man, that actor must have been confused as gently caress during Tyrion's trial. Much like Mace I guess!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Yeah, although it's pretty sloppy that he wasn't briefed at all about the characters or the story, Mace wandering around with barely any idea what's happening happens to work pretty well.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
That said, it seems kind of lazy on his behalf that he agreed to join a show on its fourth season and not bother to give himself a backgrounder. Sure, watching the entire 30 hours is a pretty big commitment, but I think honestly it's part of your job.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Well he said he did watch the first 2 seasons following that and was like, facepalm.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Gillen randomly changing accents for no externally-apparent rational reason is the most Littlefinger thing he could possibly do. That is 100% in character.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I completely forgot that they jump into a punk cover of the bear and the Maiden Fair right after Jamie gets his hand cut off.

Since we saw Gren in one of the preview making of shots, its possible we'll see that some members of the Watch that survived the mutiny made it back to the wall. Also, they are a big part of Jon's election.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Medieval Medic posted:

Maybe it is the same place where Dany and Daario end and begin? Like, they were conjoined quadruplets all along.

And the same vertex where Asha's oval office and Tryst's cock join! What's that called? Hexaplets?

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER

webmeister posted:

That said, it seems kind of lazy on his behalf that he agreed to join a show on its fourth season and not bother to give himself a backgrounder. Sure, watching the entire 30 hours is a pretty big commitment, but I think honestly it's part of your job.

I imagine these people are getting paid enough to watch 30 hours of television relevant to a role on a show they are going to be a part of.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Australians: JB Hi-Fi once more has a version of the bluray with an exclusive disc. This one has two features:

"An Evening with Game of Thrones"
"Creating the World with Visual Effects"

Does anyone know if the former is the GRRM + Michelle Fairley + Lena Headey thing at the Opera House? (I'm at uni so I can't check out the disc until tonight)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

escape artist posted:

And the same vertex where Asha's oval office and Tryst's cock join! What's that called? Hexaplets?

Fittingly, it's called sextuplets.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Has anyone got seasons 1 and 2 Histories & Lore on YouTube? The versions that were frequently linked got pulled.

edit: Apparently there are still copies that are all the videos stitched together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pDJJw7X5Tc

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 19, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm kind of out of the loop on new characters who have been cast for the 4th season, besides the major ones. There's a Mace, but is there a Manderlay?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Why would Manderlay be in season 4?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Why would Manderlay be in season 4?

Why indeed. I don't know why I thought he appeared in book 3, because you don't really see him do anything until book 5.

Watching season 3 reminds me Gendry's story is way different. Davos sent him to KL in a rowboat, while he pretty much vanishes from the story until Brianne is at the crossroads.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
We won't see Manderly until Davos meets him, and he doesn't do that until after Stannis arrives at the Wall.

One of his sons was at the Red Wedding though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Watching season 3 reminds me Gendry's story is way different. Davos sent him to KL in a rowboat, while he pretty much vanishes from the story until Brianne is at the crossroads.

I'm surprised that Joe Dempsie is still a regular this season, while Gwendoline Christie is credited as a guest actress. That seems wrong.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm surprised that Joe Dempsie is still a regular this season, while Gwendoline Christie is credited as a guest actress. That seems wrong.

They have a Baratheon stag icon for the opening credits, they don't have an icon for Tarth. I just made a whole ton of sense of it for you. :P

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

colonel_korn posted:

So the guy playing Mace this season was quoted in an interview saying that he basically had no idea who he or any of the other characters were when they started filming :laffo:
Not exactly encouraging, although I suppose it might be appropriate given the character he's playing.

Why wouldn't it be encouraging? Why would you trust any actor who has been sullied by these awful books?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Didn't most of the cast not bother with the books during the first/second seasons and some of the major ones still haven't read them? One of the more notable being Lena Headey who seems to be doing a loving amazing job so far.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Didn't most of the cast not bother with the books during the first/second seasons and some of the major ones still haven't read them? One of the more notable being Lena Headey who seems to be doing a loving amazing job so far.

A fair number are just reading the books or just their chapters as they film those scenes.

I remember an interview with Robert Carlyle when he was doing Stargate Universe and he was asked "Do you read the scripts in advance?" and he said "Nope" and when they asked why his answer was that when you know what a character's arc is in advance there's a temptation to play the end of that arc, be it hero or villain, earlier than you should and the only way to avoid that is to keep yourself as much in the dark as the character you are playing is. I can see how on Game of Thrones that approach might be relevant.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A lot also depends on the director, who is supposed to have some idea of the direction the character is evolving, so he/she can tweak set direction accordingly.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Alchenar posted:

A fair number are just reading the books or just their chapters as they film those scenes.

I remember an interview with Robert Carlyle when he was doing Stargate Universe and he was asked "Do you read the scripts in advance?" and he said "Nope" and when they asked why his answer was that when you know what a character's arc is in advance there's a temptation to play the end of that arc, be it hero or villain, earlier than you should and the only way to avoid that is to keep yourself as much in the dark as the character you are playing is. I can see how on Game of Thrones that approach might be relevant.

That's a really great answer. Although, I think Sean Bean learning about R+L=J led to a great subtle performance in the first episode. Not necessarily the same thing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The newest trailer got me thinking. I've often wondered about the implications of Tyrion finding Shae in Tywin's bed. Tywin did know that she's a prostitute, right? Is he just an incredibly unapologetic hypocrite when it comes to whores? Or was he operating under the assumption that she was actually a servant of the Red Keep? Regardless, it also seems very strange that Tywin would "lower himself" to sleep with one of Tyrion's former consorts...seems very out of character for him. Is it just because we're seeing a more debauched side of him that he's careful not to show anyone?

Basically, was he a huge phony?

So many questions...

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

timp posted:

The newest trailer got me thinking. I've often wondered about the implications of Tyrion finding Shae in Tywin's bed. Tywin did know that she's a prostitute, right? Is he just an incredibly unapologetic hypocrite when it comes to whores? Or was he operating under the assumption that she was actually a servant of the Red Keep? Regardless, it also seems very strange that Tywin would "lower himself" to sleep with one of Tyrion's former consorts...seems very out of character for him. Is it just because we're seeing a more debauched side of him that he's careful not to show anyone?

Basically, was he a huge phony?

So many questions...

Yes, of course. Why is this even a question? Lannisters are sluts.

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(
The tower of the hand has a tunnel that links it to the whorehouses. That tunnel wasn't there until Tywin became hand under Raeghar. Figure it out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if the answer is 'a Lannister is a huge hypocrite who'd rather sling their (dick/vagina) around than live up to their arrogant talk' it's probably the right answer.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tywin knows what whores are all about and where they go and such. Tyrion still thinks that whores aren't actually whores.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Tywin isn't really a hypocrite. His problem with Tyrion's drinking and whoring is that Tyrion did it out in the open, not in secret like you're supposed to. Keeping up appearances and all that.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Andrew Verse posted:

Tywin isn't really a hypocrite. His problem with Tyrion's drinking and whoring is that Tyrion did it out in the open, not in secret like you're supposed to. Keeping up appearances and all that.

That makes sense to me. I still feel like it's out of character for Tywin to "sully" himself with one of Tyrion's former whores, though. On the other hand...I guess it just further cements his true feelings that they're just objects to be used, like a sword or something. Who cares if someone else used the sword before as long as it feels good in your hand and works?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

escape artist posted:

That's a really great answer. Although, I think Sean Bean learning about R+L=J led to a great subtle performance in the first episode. Not necessarily the same thing.

R+L=J would be something that Ned knew at that time. I think with a lot of the characters in this story being unaware is very beneficial. If Robb knew he would be slaughtered and his campaign was pointless, or if Jaime knew he would eventually become a character worth cheering for, or if Bran knew he'd be a tree are all things that could impact how that character is portrayed.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah Tywin is just trying to teach Tyrion a lesson, he never tells him "Don't screw around with prostitutes" he only tells him "Don't let me catch you!". It's not his fault Tyrion is so obtuse. It was just a test really, he was grooming him.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Well, a big part of secret prosti-using is that it's a secret. You can't just tell the son you hate about it, then it's no longer a secret.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

timp posted:

That makes sense to me. I still feel like it's out of character for Tywin to "sully" himself with one of Tyrion's former whores, though. On the other hand...I guess it just further cements his true feelings that they're just objects to be used, like a sword or something. Who cares if someone else used the sword before as long as it feels good in your hand and works?

Tywin legit hates Tyrion though, I could see him doing it out of spite. Or she may have seduced him.

Honestly I'm surprised he didn't have her killed on the off-chance she became well known as the Lannister's Wife or something.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Started checking out the Blu-Ray commentaries. Jack Gleeson is a super funny, charming dude.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

Tywin legit hates Tyrion though, I could see him doing it out of spite. Or she may have seduced him.

Honestly I'm surprised he didn't have her killed on the off-chance she became well known as the Lannister's Wife or something.

I dont think Tywin hated Tyrion, just certainly had quite the rocky relationship.

As far as killing Shae goes, well, it's not like he lived long enough to have the chance.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vernii posted:

I dont think Tywin hated Tyrion, just certainly had quite the rocky relationship.

As far as killing Shae goes, well, it's not like he lived long enough to have the chance.

Or Shae, for that matter. :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Started checking out the Blu-Ray commentaries. Jack Gleeson is a super funny, charming dude.
I only listened to the first commentary so far, my favorite part was Natalie Dormer walking into her own running gag by complaining about how few dresses she gets.

"No, you have plenty, there's just not much of 'em"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vernii posted:

He hates Tyrion for killing his wife but he is still Tywin's son.

• Locked thread