Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
My usual sequence for narrative cohesion:

Get to Vegas
Go see Caesar
Decide to strike out alone while I do a little soul-searching and weigh who to help
Pick up companions
Honest Hearts
Old World Blues
Dead Money
learn my lessons about power and greed and my inability to let go
Rest of game up to the second battle of Hoover Dam
Lonesome Road
Endgame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Regardless, you definitely want to play Dead Money before Old World Blues.

Dead Money introduces several characters that have ties to the Big MT and finding out their back story kind of spoils Dead Money a bit if you play OWB first.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Ddraig posted:

Regardless, you definitely want to play Dead Money before Old World Blues.

Dead Money introduces several characters that have ties to the Big MT and finding out their back story kind of spoils Dead Money a bit if you play OWB first.

Yeah, my first time playing the DLC I played Dead Money 2nd to last. The first DLC I kind of just wondered into was Old World Blues, and at first didn't know there was a running story between the DLCs. My 2nd play through I played all four in order

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Is it just me, or do all the DLCs try to subvert, nerf, or otherwise screw over the typical Guns builds in some fashion or another?

Dead Money just jacks all your stuff, Honest Hearts imposes a weight limit, limiting what equipment you should bring, Old World Blues has bulletspongy enemies spawn from out of nowhere from all directions, and Lonesome Road has tough enemies in cramped corridors.

Melee/Unarmed suddenly seems like a legitimate option if you're gonna do the DLCs. The Ghost people in Dead Money are a pushover if you just run over and beat the snot out of them, not to mention the need to conserve ammo since it's a survival horror situation. Packing a melee weapon makes sense in Honest Hearts since there's the weight limit and you'll mostly be fighting animals for the most part, do keep a gun handy for Cadazores though. I already mentioned the bulletsponge enemies in Old World Blues, and the Saturnite Power Fist and Proton Axe are amazing weapons, not to mention all the energy weapons and ammo, the LAER is awesome. Lonesome road is pretty cool with Guns characters though, just make sure you're packing the heavy duty stuff, or better yet, bring lots of explosives.

My recommended DLC order is

Honest Hearts
Dead Money
Old World Blues
Lonesome Road

I'd also recommend picking Logan's Loophole and hitting max level before starting Dead Money or the other DLCs. The enemies' HP scales way out of proportion after level 30 and the DLC quests hand out too much exp anyway. You can use the autodoc to remove Logan's Loophole after finishing all the DLCs and still have plenty of stuff to do and still gain EXP in the main game. Also pick Skilled because the 10% exp penalty is a blessing in disguise.

Which is why I'm heavily considering going Melee/Unarmed through the DLCs. Old World Blues has taught me the joys of using a Proton Axe with the Super Slam perk.
vv

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 19, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Melee/Unarmed was always a legitimate option

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Speaking of Cazadores, what's the best way to deal with them(especially more than one) ? In most combat scenarios I'm forced to use VATS since their flying is nearly impossible to land hits with. I'm sporting a Guns build so anything that doesn't get hit can kill me within 2 stings.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Avocados posted:

Speaking of Cazadores, what's the best way to deal with them(especially more than one) ? In most combat scenarios I'm forced to use VATS since their flying is nearly impossible to land hits with. I'm sporting a Guns build so anything that doesn't get hit can kill me within 2 stings.

10MM SMG. Cazadores have low health and DT, so any high DPS gun will chew through them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Avocados posted:

Cripple their wings.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Against groups a grenade rifle can be a good opener.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah, I like to toss dynamite/grenades at Cazador packs before they notice me. Using Project Nevada's grenade hotkey helps a lot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Starhawk64 posted:

Is it just me, or do all the DLCs try to subvert, nerf, or otherwise screw over the typical Guns builds in some fashion or another?
In Chris Avellone's "design breakdown" blog for Dead Money he mentioned that he got tired of seeing so many players go for headshot gun builds, so Dead Money was an attempt to get players to switch things up from that playstyle (as was Old World Blues, most likely). That said, every DLC adds at least one new gun as well as using guns from the main game, and in Honest Hearts the .45s are basically the signature weapon of the DLC. The weight limit is because there's no real home base; you're best off going in relatively clean so you don't have to choose between the cool stuff you've brought with you and the cool stuff you find in Zion.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Not to mention that virtually the best guns in the entire game are located in the DLC.

Christine's rifle and A Light Shining in Darkness are two of the better ones, and OWB has that gun which is fun as gently caress. If anything explosive users get shafted as the only really cool new addition the DLCs add is the Red Glare.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Ddraig posted:

Not to mention that virtually the best guns in the entire game are located in the DLC.

Christine's rifle and A Light Shining in Darkness are two of the better ones, and OWB has that gun which is fun as gently caress. If anything explosive users get shafted as the only really cool new addition the DLCs add is the Red Glare.

The main game has That Gun :colbert:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The best gun in the normal game is This Machine because the reference is cool as gently caress.

Also the ranger sequoia beats out That Gun :colbert:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Starhawk64 posted:

Eh, DM and OWB definitely, but I would say HH specifically encourages Guns characters in that they pretty much throw several at you the moment you get there; it's energy weapons types that will have a hard time of it, due to scarcity of ammo and the only new EW being a total gimmick.

The weight limit is more to discourage you from rolling into Zion with the two hundred pounds of crap you've been carting around in the Mojave because the game is about to shower you with new loot, and playing inventory management five minutes into a DLC because you couldn't be bothered to drop off the hundred pounds of scrap metal and mole rat meat prior isn't a fun experience for anyone.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wolfsheim posted:

Eh, DM and OWB definitely, but I would say HH specifically encourages Guns characters in that they pretty much throw several at you the moment you get there; it's energy weapons types that will have a hard time of it, due to scarcity of ammo and the only new EW being a total gimmick.
At least there's a multiplas lying around to give them some firepower. Bringing a Hyperbreeder Alpha will also take care of the first ~1/2 of HH all by itself.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

2house2fly posted:

In Chris Avellone's "design breakdown" blog for Dead Money he mentioned that he got tired of seeing so many players go for headshot gun builds

I still find that kinda pissy, the whole "it doesn't feel like they're experimenting with limb-targeting tactics" thing.

Well yeah, cause limb-targeting sucks. What kind of tactics are supposed to show up, other than crippling Deathclaw legs/Cazador wings?

Now, you put crotch-targeting back in, and I guarantee that would be the primary build.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Limb targeting kind of sucks in normal NV because it's so loving easy, regardless of what you do, but in mods that change the difficulty (like jsawyer) targeting limbs can be really important because certain weapons can really ruin your day and if you manage to cripple their limbs they'll drop them etc.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
jsawyer shoot people in the arm errday

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
They wouldn't have had that headshot problem if they just brought back groin shots. :colbert:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Byzantine posted:

Now, you put crotch-targeting back in, and I guarantee that would be the primary build.

I take away his weapon. Both of them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Headshots would be less of a thing if they were actually harder to hit than other parts of the body even when using VATS. As it is the benefit of targeting a limb is trivial compared to being able to just kill things with the exact same amount of effort.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Picked up a nice little bug where every time I go from one area to the next my dehydration level drops to -998 and my food to -224. This obviously happens right at the end of a hardcore run within spitting distance of finally getting that achievement.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, the ghost people are best delt with going nuts with a knife spear clean (they're super easy to make) until you get inside and find the armory and get the hunting and leaver action shotguns, then you can just mow them down with aimed shots., but that happens really late in the game, I think its in the suites lever with Christine. My normal thing was just to gun them down and then run over and bash their heads off.

I managed to get out of SM with 16 gold bars, as I only took unique to dlc stuff back with me, dumped everything but a police pistol, holorifle, the BAR and the SM armor reenforced. I also have something like 12k pre war money which is awesome because it weights nothing, so i can lug it around until i can unload it.

I bought every GRA gun and mod at the gun runners, and every stimpack in game. I have nearly 500 stimpacks now, this includes ones I got from the SM vending machines.

I think I'll grab Lilly and fix Rex and do Black Mountain and get Raul before i go into HH.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Every piece of advice I've gotten on dealing with Ghost people, nightstalkers, roboscorpions, lobotomites, etc. only count for when your character is level-appropriate.

Most are bullet-sponges if you walk in at level 30 or above, as I keep insisting on doing.

I did Dead money this time at around level 18 and it was piss easy compared to every other time.

Enemies leveling with the player is the worst trend in gaming. It's why I loved New Vegas proper so much. Low-level enemies could be taken out with a single shot later in the game, and Deathclaws were nigh unkillable at the start.

It was really annoying to have that taken away.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

LividLiquid posted:

Every piece of advice I've gotten on dealing with Ghost people, nightstalkers, roboscorpions, lobotomites, etc. only count for when your character is level-appropriate.

Most are bullet-sponges if you walk in at level 30 or above, as I keep insisting on doing.

I did Dead money this time at around level 18 and it was piss easy compared to every other time.

Enemies leveling with the player is the worst trend in gaming. It's why I loved New Vegas proper so much. Low-level enemies could be taken out with a single shot later in the game, and Deathclaws were nigh unkillable at the start.

It was really annoying to have that taken away.

It wouldn't be much use to me now because I've already done the two DLCs most sensitive to levels (IMO, Honest Hearts and Old World Blues) but for my next game I'd really like to track down a good mod that just scales the DLC experience gains better. If they're going to make Roboscorpions and White Legs into total dicks if I get above level 25, it'd be nice if I also didn't get a whole level's worth of XP at the end of each mission.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

2house2fly posted:

In Chris Avellone's "design breakdown" blog for Dead Money he mentioned that he got tired of seeing so many players go for headshot gun builds, so Dead Money was an attempt to get players to switch things up from that playstyle (as was Old World Blues, most likely).

That falls completely 100% flat considering the fact that the DLC doesn't happen until a player is dozens of house into the game and probably has already decided on what they want their character to be. You can change it to meet the demands of the DLC because they give out XP like candy, sure, but then you're left with dumping points into one stat for every level you would have gained during just to keep up with the playstyle the DLC recommends.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

3Romeo posted:

Go the entire game without ever using a weapon.

edit: make put-pocketing your weapon.

Yeah, I've done not fighting and dirty playing like that before. It still goes down to getting a companion for when you can't throw your own hands into pockets. Really, I've played this game a lot, on my best 10 list. However, I just realised - never before have I killed everyone I've met. I wonder how this will gently caress things up. I also don't tend to use heavy weapons. I have a plan now.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CJacobs posted:

That falls completely 100% flat considering the fact that the DLC doesn't happen until a player is dozens of house into the game and probably has already decided on what they want their character to be. You can change it to meet the demands of the DLC because they give out XP like candy, sure, but then you're left with dumping points into one stat for every level you would have gained during just to keep up with the playstyle the DLC recommends.

Try doing Dead Money after making a beeline for it, it's interesting.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doing Dead Money and Old World Blues in reverse order changes their tone drastically, and not necessarily for better or worse. It's probably worth a shot one time.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.

Hank Morgan posted:

They wouldn't have had that headshot problem if they just brought back groin shots. :colbert:

"She took it like a man, that is to say, it hurt."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"I'll just shoot this guy in the leg! Hah! Let's see how dangerous you are when you can only run at 99% normal speed!"

Targeting limbs sucks.

Cazadores, meanwhile, are best dealt with using a Silenced .22 SMG full of hollowpoints. Tears through 'em like paper targets.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

StandardVC10 posted:

It wouldn't be much use to me now because I've already done the two DLCs most sensitive to levels (IMO, Honest Hearts and Old World Blues) but for my next game I'd really like to track down a good mod that just scales the DLC experience gains better. If they're going to make Roboscorpions and White Legs into total dicks if I get above level 25, it'd be nice if I also didn't get a whole level's worth of XP at the end of each mission.
I use Project Nevada's option to scale down EXP gain, usually to around 50%.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

"I'll just shoot this guy in the leg! Hah! Let's see how dangerous you are when you can only run at 99% normal speed!"

Targeting limbs sucks.

Cazadores, meanwhile, are best dealt with using a Silenced .22 SMG full of hollowpoints. Tears through 'em like paper targets.

Yeah about that. Try dealing with deathclaws with and without targetting their legs. see which approach is easier to kite.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The targeting system never really lent itself to complex tactics, be honest - who played Fallout / Fallout 2 and targeted anything but eyes and crotch?

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Doing Dead Money and Old World Blues in reverse order changes their tone drastically, and not necessarily for better or worse. It's probably worth a shot one time.

I'd suggest the same, not only for altering the tone of the two but also for making Dead Money more enjoyable from a narrative perspective. One of my biggest problems with DM is that Elijah comes off as another wordy bastard trying to kill the Courier (two more and the Courier gets a free sunday), and the confrontation at the end of the DLC lacks some impact for it. Playing in release order, you find out half of the material in the game about him long after that confrontation; it becomes less about building an antagonist and more about giving you some trivia about that guy you dealt with twelve hours ago. The tragedy of the Sierra Madre becomes less poignant sorrow and more slightly wacky SCIENCE! gone wrong.

At the very least, I think there's a little mood whiplash going from a sad story about knowing how to let go and little else to one featuring a monomaniacal toaster that wants to cleanse the world in nuclear fire (again).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh man I did not realize there was an achievement for killing super mutants with classic fallout weapons. Though I don't think there are 15 super mutants on black mountain.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh man I did not realize there was an achievement for killing super mutants with classic fallout weapons. Though I don't think there are 15 super mutants on black mountain.

Jacobsville. You know what you must do.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

double nine posted:

Yeah about that. Try dealing with deathclaws with and without targetting their legs. see which approach is easier to kite.

My solution is to not fight deathclaws with anything that doesn't one-shot them or have enough dps to drop them before they can get close, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

My solution is to not fight deathclaws with anything that doesn't one-shot them or have enough dps to drop them before they can get close, I guess.

Plasma pistol/rifle to the legs man, that's where it's at.