Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Does Nightcrawler have little nightcrawlers now? What's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was wondering how he was alive again.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The BAMFs were created by Azazel and Kurt's not alive (yet). Wolverine and friends have traveled to the afterlife to try and bring Kurt back to life.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Was it to even try to bring him back to life? I think it was more what is going on with these bamfs that Aaron has had since the loving start? And oh they are from Nightcrawler and here is an awesome tale to bring him back.

Seriously love when writers just go all out to bring a character back. Aaron has had this in mind for a while, and now he's just pulling all the guns.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Leper Residue posted:

Was it to even try to bring him back to life? I think it was more what is going on with these bamfs that Aaron has had since the loving start? And oh they are from Nightcrawler and here is an awesome tale to bring him back.

Seriously love when writers just go all out to bring a character back. Aaron has had this in mind for a while, and now he's just pulling all the guns.

Amazing XMen #1 literally starts with 'hey, these BAMFs built some kind of portal OHSHIT WE TELEPORTIN'. No more reason than that. The XMen didn't set off with the goal of bringing back Kurt.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Leper Residue posted:

They didn't start with trying to save Nightcrawler. I was abbreviating the storyline for simplicity.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Leper Residue posted:

It's amazing to go to different places and see vastly different reactions to writers, like I've seen places utterly crucify Jason Aaron as ruining the character of Scott Summers, and having a massive erection for Wolverine. I personally never saw it like that, but it's weird seeing him get praised when I'm used to seeing him get shat upon.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

BSS for the most part has always been the opposite opinion wise with the majority of "internet" comics fans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Onmi posted:

It's amazing to go to different places and see vastly different reactions to writers, like I've seen places utterly crucify Jason Aaron as ruining the character of Scott Summers, and having a massive erection for Wolverine. I personally never saw it like that, but it's weird seeing him get praised when I'm used to seeing him get shat upon.

There are people who poo poo on Jason Aaron? Hell he wrote a possible start for a Scott/Logan reconciliation, if no one else picks up on that it's not his fault. Especially since he's leaving WATXM to do Amazing X-Men, and the first arc is pirate adventures in the afterlife.
edit:

Waterhaul posted:

BSS for the most part has always been the opposite opinion wise with the majority of "internet" comics fans.
Everyone likes Hawkeye though, every issue goes int second printings.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Waterhaul posted:

The BAMFs were created by Azazel and Kurt's not alive (yet). Wolverine and friends have traveled to the afterlife to try and bring Kurt back to life.

What books/issues did this happen in? I'd like to read them.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

10 Beers posted:

What books/issues did this happen in? I'd like to read them.

The BAMFs have been running around causing havoc for the entirity of Wolverine and the X-Men which started a few years ago. You don't need to read that book to understand everything but I would suggest you do if you like what you see. It's a really fun book.

This specific storyline of Nightcrawler returning and their origin has just been in Amazing X-Men which is currently on issue 4 which the images are from.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I'm gonna say it, I'm kind of done with Hawkeye. The weird schedule/constant delays has ruined all momentum that book had, and the last like three issues have not been great, so I just don't give a poo poo at this point. Stuff like Superior Foes and She-Hulk have pretty much replaced it for me.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

The BAMFs have been running around causing havoc for the entirity of Wolverine and the X-Men which started a few years ago. You don't need to read that book to understand everything but I would suggest you do if you like what you see. It's a really fun book.

This specific storyline of Nightcrawler returning and their origin has just been in Amazing X-Men which is currently on issue 4 which the images are from.
Thanks!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

E the Shaggy posted:

From today's Amazing X-Men #4:

Just...just got something in my eye.

Oh my god.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm gonna say it, I'm kind of done with Hawkeye. The weird schedule/constant delays has ruined all momentum that book had, and the last like three issues have not been great, so I just don't give a poo poo at this point. Stuff like Superior Foes and She-Hulk have pretty much replaced it for me.

The fact that the book's split between Clint and Kate makes the pacing erratic. I'm just hoping all this build up pays off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aaron's been working towards this since basically the start. I remember either an interview or letters page or something where he said the Bamfs aren't what they seem and that he'd explore them later on. And now here we are!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

There are people who poo poo on Jason Aaron? Hell he wrote a possible start for a Scott/Logan reconciliation, if no one else picks up on that it's not his fault. Especially since he's leaving WATXM to do Amazing X-Men, and the first arc is pirate adventures in the afterlife.
edit:

I hate myself and went to comicbook resource and they hate Aaron, but that place is the loving pits.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

bobkatt013 posted:

I hate myself and went to comicbook resource and they hate Aaron, but that place is the loving pits.

So wait, if they hate Aaron, does that mean they hate Thor? Cause I can kind of see the dislike for his X-Men stuff (not really, but people go nuts about their mutants) but Thor is seriously one of the best comics in a long loving time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Leper Residue posted:

So wait, if they hate Aaron, does that mean they hate Thor? Cause I can kind of see the dislike for his X-Men stuff (not really, but people go nuts about their mutants) but Thor is seriously one of the best comics in a long loving time.

I did not look at the Thor board, but the X-men one is really really bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Onmi posted:

I've seen places utterly crucify Jason Aaron as ruining the character of Scott Summers

How did Aaron do that - by giving him one?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Holy poo poo,these pages are amazing. I picked the books up after work today and just finished reading them.
I also really love the very next exchange between them:
Logan: Is there really....whiskey?
Kurt: No, sorry. Just wanted to make sure you had a reason to live. But there ARE pirates. Lots and lots of evil pirates.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Has Aaron even written Cyclops to any great degree? His character shift was largely the work of Morrison, Brubaker, Fraction, and so on, I thought.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Has Aaron even written Cyclops to any great degree? His character shift was largely the work of Morrison, Brubaker, Fraction, and so on, I thought.
Well, he wrote Schism which really pushed Cyclops and Wolverine as the new Magneto and Charles. Which was fine because his take on Scott's shift was pretty nuanced and is well paired with the best handle on Wolverine that arguably any writer has ever had. It was Avengers vs. X-men that sort of shot the moon on Scott as a villain. While Aaron was involved in that, it's really presumptuous to throw the blame at any writer's feet because who knows who was responsible for and on board with what.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Well, he wrote Schism which really pushed Cyclops and Wolverine as the new Magneto and Charles. Which was fine because his take on Scott's shift was pretty nuanced and is well paired with the best handle on Wolverine that arguably any writer has ever had. It was Avengers vs. X-men that sort of shot the moon on Scott as a villain. While Aaron was involved in that, it's really presumptuous to throw the blame at any writer's feet because who knows who was responsible for and on board with what.

No see the complaints you hear is that his Wolverine is terrible, because he just sucks off the character and makes it seem like he can do no wrong, and by and large his Scott is terrible because he's trying to push that Scott was wrong when "Scott was Right"

They also think his Wolverine is a hypocrite and thus a worse character because of it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You know, I'm reminded of some graphic novel called Batman and the Dragon or something, about Batman in China, and how a major plot point was that Batman didn't speak Chinese. I remember thinking that modern writers would never let that fly, and Batman would just speak whatever language he needs to because he's Batman.
Late-gently caress post, but I think you were thinking of Batman: Hong Kong.

Incidentally, I actually collected the Chinese version of that, which was done as a three-part comic series instead of a graphic novel. Wouldn't be surprised if it was actually written for the three-part format and then just stitched together into a book for the English version.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Onmi posted:

No see the complaints you hear is that his Wolverine is terrible, because he just sucks off the character and makes it seem like he can do no wrong, and by and large his Scott is terrible because he's trying to push that Scott was wrong when "Scott was Right"

They also think his Wolverine is a hypocrite and thus a worse character because of it.

Wrong like murder all his kids?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I brought up those Amazing pages over in the X-Men thread, That is hands down the most touching thing I've read in a comic in a long time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

People have been posting stuff from the fun fan-comic JL8 over in the Funny Panels thread. There's also a really lovely touching moment in amongst all the goofiness too that I really liked:

:shobon:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Here's the one where Superman is dreaming and meets Daniel

And the followup

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what writers/runs are popular on other comic forums? Do they just constantly post about Deadpool and poo poo?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

achillesforever6 posted:

Here's the one where Superman is dreaming and meets Daniel

And the followup

Of course Dream likes him, anybody as boring as Superman has put a plenty of people to sleep.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bown posted:

So what writers/runs are popular on other comic forums? Do they just constantly post about Deadpool and poo poo?
Geoff Johns, Jeph Loeb, David Finch

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Afterlife with Archie was emotionally gutting this week. From #4.

There's also a scene later on with Archie and his dad that hits almost as hard.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
God dammit. I did not think I would ever see that in an Archie comic.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
That is some emotionally ruthless poo poo right there.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
god drat, Francovilla. goddamn

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Whoa when did Archie get like this?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Whoa when did Archie get like this?
Afterlife with Archie started in October. Check it out, it owns and is surprisingly sad at times (as seen above).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Jesus. That would have been bad enough without reading the dog's thoughts, but that just added a terrible gut punch on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Jesus Christ, why did I read this before work?