Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

So jungle Fiddlesticks, max W first, then Q. Build Wraith, mpen boots, Zhonyas, ???

I feel like the initial clears with Fiddlesticks are so slow, but he needs less potions than the other junglers. Once you finish channeling ult you can pop Zhonyas and be an invulnerable rear end in a top hat in the middle of crow storm, yes?

With Fiddles I generally go something like W E Q W Q then max R > Q > W > E. The duration on that fear makes his ganks pretty nasty. If you're 30 and run 21/something/something Fiddles actually doesn't need pots at all. What I generally do is start with a book rather than a knife and just rely on drain for the HP. Works fine.

There are a variety of schools of thought on Fiddles. Zhonya's is a very common item and some people, even jungle Fiddles, build it first. I like to go wraith, brown boots, Liandry's. I'm a fan of wraith, rylai's, liandry's, death hat Fiddles but some people disagree with me.

And yes, you can do exactly that with the hourglass and crowstorm. The main thing about playing Fiddles is learning how to crowstorm over walls from places where people can't see you. Absolutely crowstorm/flash if it will net a kill or two for your team. And yes, I'm also going to say that crowstorm/flash/q/zhonya's is a really, really good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenSeraph
Mar 8, 2006
reincarnation time!
I've been finding myself dodging queues lately.
Either people will start fighting over lanes, or someone would instalock after no communication when everyone agrees to what lanes they want, or theres a duo queue and they pick dumb champs and ignore everyone else.

I only select a champ when everyone is happy with their role and the champ comp isn't stupid.

I'm sorry but I'd rather wait 15 mins for the next game than waste 30+ mins in a game that was unwinnable due to pre-game lobby fighting and people being babies.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

GoldenSeraph posted:

I've been finding myself dodging queues lately.
Either people will start fighting over lanes, or someone would instalock after no communication when everyone agrees to what lanes they want, or theres a duo queue and they pick dumb champs and ignore everyone else.

I only select a champ when everyone is happy with their role and the champ comp isn't stupid.

I'm sorry but I'd rather wait 15 mins for the next game than waste 30+ mins in a game that was unwinnable due to pre-game lobby fighting and people being babies.

I'd love to do this, but I've been in maybe 4 lobbies solo (level 16) that didn't have people fighting, not speaking, or auto-locking. At some point, I have to decide to play LoL. I wish that there wasn't a race to call roles and lock in so that we could actually discuss things, but it was not meant to be~~~

NinjaC
Nov 16, 2012
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=45295826#post45295826

My solution to Riots lag and ddos attacks :cheeky:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Let me tell you all a cautionary tale from plat 4 duo queue about team composition. Learn from this so that you too can avoid utterly screwing over your team by ignoring their picks.

Never loving ever pick Lee Sin when your mid and top both have no real CC. :negative:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Let me tell you all a cautionary tale from plat 4 duo queue about team composition. Learn from this so that you too can avoid utterly screwing over your team by ignoring their picks.

Never loving ever pick Lee Sin when your mid and top both have no real CC. :negative:

Who would you have picked instead?

Also, what should I be looking for in team compositions? I know the roles of each champ, roughly, but I don't know what makes a good team comp, or how to separate between early game and late game champions.

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
How is MMR handled if I have been away since season 3? I have a level 26 account but I am worried the other level 26 or so players will roll me on my way to 30 since I've been away for so long...

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Equality posted:

How is MMR handled if I have been away since season 3? I have a level 26 account but I am worried the other level 26 or so players will roll me on my way to 30 since I've been away for so long...

Last I checked MMR doesn't decay like LP does, so you might be in for a rough first few games. It'll balance out in time so keep your chin up.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

your solution sucks and you're a big fat idiot

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

What, do you want a pat on the head for being edgy?

I'm sorry, but every single post you made in your thread is awful.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

really bad advertisement.
Plus, how are they supposed to fix the problem if they have no money to pay for it?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Gonna post this here as well with less writing, this is a good team comp.

Lee can W to Shyvana during her ultimate to the back line and get a free ticket to kick an enemy toward your team, or away from your team to zone them.

Jinx and Zilean can apply a super strong slow to an enemy, allowing Blitzcrank to get a pull. Lee can kick disengage.

Zilean can speed up Blitz for good hooks, or even speed him up while he uses his speed boost. Then he can ult, E, and hook after that to initiate.

You can also use Shyvana as a vehicle for your lategame bombs!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I would say the first mistake in that teamcomp was first pick Zilean. :v:

More seriously, the team on the left looks like they want the game over before the 25-30 minute mark and have the bullying potential to do it, while the team on the right wants the game to go long so they can be AOE CC assholes at 35-40 minutes with 5-6 items each.

Edit: the whole super tank with free damage and lots of CC required for top and jungle meta is really tiring though, I won't lie. Only assassins should get %health damage in exchange for being paper thin, if you want damage otherwise you should have to build it. Nasus can be dumpstered forever. :argh:

(Not really, but I'd like to see him nerfed and have him get a new passive so he doesn't get more than a free BT just from farming and levels).

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 20, 2014

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

rabidsquid posted:

So jungle Fiddlesticks, max W first, then Q. Build Wraith, mpen boots, Zhonyas, ???

I feel like the initial clears with Fiddlesticks are so slow, but he needs less potions than the other junglers. Once you finish channeling ult you can pop Zhonyas and be an invulnerable rear end in a top hat in the middle of crow storm, yes?
That's correct. After you finish your channel and blink in, the damage around fiddles is like a status effect that doesn't end if he goes untargetable.

Other ults that behave this way: Morgana, Kennen, Swain, and probably Rammus, but you don't see him with a zhonyas that often. There's probably more than these that I can't remember.

Ultis that don't behave this way: channeled ults, like Nunu and Katarina, since they are doing the damage while they're channeling, if they pop zhonyas, their channel stops and so does the damage.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Equality posted:

Your MMR hasn't changed. Fortunately you won't be playing ranked so losing is no big deal. Just come back, take your licks, and use it as a learning experience.

You're going to lose eventually, might as well dive right in while you've got an excuse.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

exethan posted:

Gonna post this here as well with less writing, this is a good team comp.

Lee can W to Shyvana during her ultimate to the back line and get a free ticket to kick an enemy toward your team, or away from your team to zone them.

Jinx and Zilean can apply a super strong slow to an enemy, allowing Blitzcrank to get a pull. Lee can kick disengage.

Zilean can speed up Blitz for good hooks, or even speed him up while he uses his speed boost. Then he can ult, E, and hook after that to initiate.

You can also use Shyvana as a vehicle for your lategame bombs!

All those strategies are great but they mean nothing in the face of their composition. Any teamfight that didn't start with a hook was one where we would all die. Having only on source of hard CC kinda hurts. :v:

Shadow225 posted:

Who would you have picked instead?

Nautilus, Kha'Zix, Elise or basically anyone with either hard CC or a strong gank. Lee Sin is technically a strong ganker but he kinda falls off in gold and plat where players usually don't panic upon seeing a jungler. If the laner has no CC he will almost always miss his Q and get nothing done. In this case my slow couldn't reliably reach the enemy Annie and Shyvana had no way in hell to hold Wukong down. The main issue is that Lee Sin isn't the lategame god he was in 2013 anymore so if he doesn't get fed he's useless lategame. What we really needed something that could help snowball our lanes so we could press our earlygame advantage, he didn't pick it.

Lightning Knight posted:

I would say the first mistake in that teamcomp was first pick Zilean. :v:

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/euw/20824486#ranked-stats

It works more than it works not. I drove this train into platinum and I'm fully intent on getting it to Diamond. :colbert:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Xoidanor posted:

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/euw/20824486#ranked-stats

It works more than it works not. I drove this train into platinum and I'm fully intent on getting it to Diamond. :colbert:

I buy that you can make him work cause you're high plat on your way to diamond, but both experience and observation has led me to conclude that Zilean sucks as a support and sucks harder as a mid. As far as I know he's only considered "good" in Protect the X comps cause he has a GA ult to offer for the hypercarry.

:shrug: I don't see how your team comp was bad, necessarily. Theirs was just better cause AOE CC stacking is hella OP.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I buy that you can make him work cause you're high plat on your way to diamond, but both experience and observation has led me to conclude that Zilean sucks as a support and sucks harder as a mid. As far as I know he's only considered "good" in Protect the X comps cause he has a GA ult to offer for the hypercarry.

:shrug: I don't see how your team comp was bad, necessarily. Theirs was just better cause AOE CC stacking is hella OP.

The problem is they had exactly 1 form of hard CC, and it was highly reliant on Blitz landing his grab. A team with a lot of soft CC can't do much compared to a team filled with stuns and knockups. The reason Blue had a better team there was because they could actually lock the other team down, and peel/pick off the enemy. The Lee Sin really should have picked someone like Amumu or Sej, who could provide more teamfight capability than Lee can. Blue just flat out had better teamfight potential there.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Looking for advice for a basic Rune setup for AP and a second for defense. I play a lot of ARAM, and most of my chaps are AP or Tank/Jungler. I'm about 2 wins from 20 and looking to buy my tier 3 runes, so kinda want to know where to start. Current preferred AP are Malzahar and Kog'Maw, Junglers I like are YI/Amumu, and Tanks I dig on are Aatrox, Malphite, Mundo.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Hybrid pen marks, Armour yellows, MR glyphs, AP or movespeed quints. AD reds, armour yellows, MR glyphs, AD or movespeed quints.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

SC Bracer posted:

Hybrid pen marks, Armour yellows, MR glyphs, AP or movespeed quints. AD reds, armour yellows, MR glyphs, AD or movespeed quints.

Thanks!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

poorlywrittennovel posted:

The problem is they had exactly 1 form of hard CC, and it was highly reliant on Blitz landing his grab. A team with a lot of soft CC can't do much compared to a team filled with stuns and knockups. The reason Blue had a better team there was because they could actually lock the other team down, and peel/pick off the enemy. The Lee Sin really should have picked someone like Amumu or Sej, who could provide more teamfight capability than Lee can. Blue just flat out had better teamfight potential there.

You can run a low-cc team, but against that lineup you need to play differently. Split pushing, sieging, disengaging, and not allowing them to get that one good initiation they need to win a fight.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

SC Bracer posted:

This, although move speed quints are less awesome in ARAM, they rule in SR, especially if jungling or supporting.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Zilean is an insanely strong lane bully. What's your skill order on the time master, Xoidanor?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Better 5v5 teamfight potential. If you play with more of a focus on rat tactics then 5v5 wombo combo strats are essentially useless. Split pushing, pressuring objectives with no intent of really taking them, map control, skrmishing, and farming up your carry will counter a 5v5 push strat easily. Eventually the wombo combo team will get mad and say "OKAY ALL PUSH MID NOW" at which point your more farmed team will outpush them since their focus is on winning team fights, and they will either get outpushed and lose, or all recall to try to stop you. Free towers.

Repeat the process and suddenly they won't want to group up as a deathball anymore, at which point Zilean/Lee Sin/Shyvana/Blitz show their strength as they can easily catch a few people out, wear down the AOE stun train enough that you can weather the storm, and push to win.

The trick to winning tight games is not to play at their level. If you see the enemy run into the jungle, why the gently caress should you chase them 70% of the time? Just keep pushing. Don't run into the jungle and play their game. Make them adapt to you. Ward jungle entrances so if they emerge to try to stop you, you can see where they are going. Then keep on rolling past it. Don't run in there and get baited out and die.

Same thing with playing against a 5v5 wombo combo team. Don't play 5v5 against them. You're going to lose.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

my pog boyfriend posted:

Better 5v5 teamfight potential. If you play with more of a focus on rat tactics then 5v5 wombo combo strats are essentially useless. Split pushing, pressuring objectives with no intent of really taking them, map control, skrmishing, and farming up your carry will counter a 5v5 push strat easily. Eventually the wombo combo team will get mad and say "OKAY ALL PUSH MID NOW" at which point your more farmed team will outpush them since their focus is on winning team fights, and they will either get outpushed and lose, or all recall to try to stop you. Free towers.

Repeat the process and suddenly they won't want to group up as a deathball anymore, at which point Zilean/Lee Sin/Shyvana/Blitz show their strength as they can easily catch a few people out, wear down the AOE stun train enough that you can weather the storm, and push to win.

The trick to winning tight games is not to play at their level. If you see the enemy run into the jungle, why the gently caress should you chase them 70% of the time? Just keep pushing. Don't run into the jungle and play their game. Make them adapt to you. Ward jungle entrances so if they emerge to try to stop you, you can see where they are going. Then keep on rolling past it. Don't run in there and get baited out and die.

Same thing with playing against a 5v5 wombo combo team. Don't play 5v5 against them. You're going to lose.

Good luck getting solo queue participants in on that strategy. If they even understand what you are talking about, are you going to type several paragraphs to explain it? I guess you could just link them to this post. The best results I've had from playing "rat" tactics come from playing a one man army splitpusher like Tyndamere. This way your team is forced to follow that strategy, even if they all yell at you for never grouping.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The team comp stuff is very interesting and I think something that should be covered more in this thread, as a newer player, fyi. As important as understanding mechanics and itemization is, I think team comp is a huge deal that new players are rarely exposed to early on and they should be.

Unrelated: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U3QOhUiDF2s

A fun video from around the time Nocturne's legendary skin was in beta. It's really strange to see a platinum-diamond level player being all :downs: about stuff I've always been seeing and using since I've started ("what's this?! 'Hunter's machete...?") and I think it gives some perspective on how much the game can change over time, going back to earlier discussions of nerfs and stuff.

I'd really love it if that new item that they're adding to TT/Dominion was in SR too, though. An item that builds out of QSS and Stinger? That's Yi's wet dream. :getin:

Edit: and I might get a new computer in time to play Hexakill! Yay! :D

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
Yeahhhhh it kind of depends on how much of a newbie you are. Players under level 30 probably shouldn't worry much about teamcomp more than just what champions generally go where in the standard meta, which champions are AP and AD and why a team should generally have a mix both, and then just practice with a handful of champions that they enjoy playing and do somewhat well with.

After you hit 30, and have a couple different champions under your belt in a few different roles, then it makes sense to start studying teamcomps and why you should pick one of your practiced champions instead of another. And even then, you have people like Mid Soraka that hit challenger just playing one champion no matter what everyone else on their team plays (and believe me, Soraka doesn't really "fit" in any popular teamcomp).

Remember, people that are new at this game don't know what champions do, take 15 seconds to decide on what they want to buy, find it in the store, and buy it, and don't know why wasting time in base is a huge, easily preventable mistake. Telling them "you need to pick a champion that fits in the teamcomp!" is kind of overdoing it in my opinion.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I agree, basically with all of this, except I don't think people really need to be level thirty. I get that that's when people start taking things seriously or whatever, but I basically understood more or less how the game works and approximately what most things are and do in general by around level 20-25, between playing and watching others play. Obviously I still sucked and still do suck but that understanding is key and I think telling people ok, so now you've gotten towards understanding a few champs, imagine given these roles what these types of teams could do and be good at. Of course people won't get it immediately but at least laying that foundation would've been really helpful earlier to me, at least personally, so I could see why teams can be at a fundamental disadvantage even if every champ is in their correct role.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree, basically with all of this, except I don't think people really need to be level thirty. I get that that's when people start taking things seriously or whatever, but I basically understood more or less how the game works and approximately what most things are and do in general by around level 20-25, between playing and watching others play. Obviously I still sucked and still do suck but that understanding is key and I think telling people ok, so now you've gotten towards understanding a few champs, imagine given these roles what these types of teams could do and be good at. Of course people won't get it immediately but at least laying that foundation would've been really helpful earlier to me, at least personally, so I could see why teams can be at a fundamental disadvantage even if every champ is in their correct role.

Not to be overly mean, but based on your posts in this thread, I don't think you "understand" champs nearly as well as you believe you do. You'll get that understanding in time, and yes thinking about team composition is important.

But until the player gets to a point where they can legitimately play their role well in the first place, trying to branch out into a bunch of different champions before they're ready just to try and build a "better" team comp. Because a comp that is allegedly optimal on paper made of poo poo players who aren't comfortable with their champions is going to get destroyed anyway.

Until you get to much higher levels of play, being comfortable and good with your champion (within reason) trumps counterpicking and min-maxing in most cases.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zaodai posted:

Not to be overly mean, but based on your posts in this thread, I don't think you "understand" champs nearly as well as you believe you do. You'll get that understanding in time, and yes thinking about team composition is important.

But until the player gets to a point where they can legitimately play their role well in the first place, trying to branch out into a bunch of different champions before they're ready just to try and build a "better" team comp. Because a comp that is allegedly optimal on paper made of poo poo players who aren't comfortable with their champions is going to get destroyed anyway.

Until you get to much higher levels of play, being comfortable and good with your champion (within reason) trumps counterpicking and min-maxing in most cases.

I conceptually understand most of it, I just don't really have a great practical understanding. For example, Ryze, I more or less understand that he's a short range tank-mage who scales off building tons of mana and has a root and AOE burst spells. I don't actually know very well how to lane against him or exactly how much damage he can do at a given level, what kind of ranges he has, etc., but I comprehend on paper what he's supposed to do. I agree that my understanding of the game is severely lacking compared to, say, you, but I think most people have enough of the general idea as I do at my level to get into ideas of team comp.

I'm not saying we should tell people to absolutely go for quality team comp if they can't actually play the comp right - that wouldn't be helpful. I just think it would be better to help people see why it didn't matter if your team is technically "right" and everyone is in a good position if their team was MF/ Sona/Wukong/Amumu/Yasuo and they can just wombo combo you every team fight, hence you may consider a different strategy next time than group mid and teamfight. That kind of theory may not be practically applicable - bronze players and below may not actually be able to do that - but I think understanding it is valuable for our long run growth in the game.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Is "wombo combo" REALLY the LoL jargon for an AoE, 5v5-oriented team comp, or are you guys making that poo poo up? It sounds really stupid when you say it out loud.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Is "wombo combo" REALLY the LoL jargon for an AoE, 5v5-oriented team comp, or are you guys making that poo poo up? It sounds really stupid when you say it out loud.

Wombo Combo is basically good offensive synergy between any amount of champs. Thresh pulling a champion to where his Vayne could then condemn them into a wall would be a minor example.

It's just shorthand for a combo of skills that go together well to ensure massive tons of damage. Like an Amumu ult immobilizing most of the team so a Ziggs ult can come down on them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD_imYhNoQ4

(yes, it's dumb)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yeah, it's definitely not unique to League. It gets used even more when it comes to Dota. If you Google "Symphony of Skills" you can find a whole series of videos just dedicated to wombo combos for it.

Here's one of the more popular ones for LoL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9XZQttjc-g

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 21, 2014

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
What your guys' opinion on Taric? I have been trying to learn support lately because it seems it pays to learn everything in ranked. I like Thresh, but he gets banned constantly and I hate Annie. he seems pretty awesome! I build pretty much the recommended items and they seem to work well, though I am always starved for gold. I max his gem shield first and stun last. It seems if I have a decent ADC, we do very well. Last time I got some thornmail and managed to get a couple kills in teamfights, so that was cool.

And his pink skin is awesome.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like it's mostly used for good aoe combo's. A good example would be something like this from last season's LCS spring split:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-zQpk8-hVY

Also something like Curse of the Sad Bullettime(MF ult over an Amumu ult).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not unique to League. It gets used even more when it comes to Dota. If you Google "Symphony of Skills" you can find a whole series of videos just dedicated to wombo combos for it.

Here's one of the more popular ones for LoL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9XZQttjc-g
This is one I love:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZIgW6rg7KE

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Taric is an above average support that works well in many team comps. If the enemy team has 3 or 4 high damage AD threats, he's going to be a good pick up every time. He's very basic and doesn't have a lot of flashy play potential but he's a solid champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Dregs posted:

What your guys' opinion on Taric? I have been trying to learn support lately because it seems it pays to learn everything in ranked. I like Thresh, but he gets banned constantly and I hate Annie. he seems pretty awesome! I build pretty much the recommended items and they seem to work well, though I am always starved for gold. I max his gem shield first and stun last. It seems if I have a decent ADC, we do very well. Last time I got some thornmail and managed to get a couple kills in teamfights, so that was cool.

And his pink skin is awesome.

Taric works well at basically anything. He's decent at defense, decent at offense. You generally want to build armor on him, but don't forget to buy mr too, unless literally everyone else on their team is AD. Icebourne Gauntlet is a good item on him, given it synergizes with his passive.

• Locked thread