Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Speedball posted:

I'm not actively offended by bad stories, I usually just love to do mental post-mortems on them to figure out how it could have been better. So then I might actually like this game. The demo doesn't give you more than a tiny taste of what the real action is like, I take it? I didn't have more than some small monsters and one boss to try everything out on.

The demo has you pretty powerful already, so fights aren't tough, and there isn't much need for strategy. The actual game requires a decent amount of strategy and skill. You mentioned that you liked the various aesthetics, and the game nails them pretty well. Exploring is fun, despite the slowdown, and there's a ton of neat details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, like the hallway with what looks like little laser lights leaking through it? Gorgeous. How many man-hours did they spend on that?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I'll be honest, I thought they were traps at first so I was extra cautious going through them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The storyline is completely forgivable because you can make Lightning look totally stupid, so the whole thing becomes an over-the-top parody of itself. Wearing a stupid mustache during the Yusnaan performance is just the greatest thing ever.

drat, this game keeps me up later every night.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Beat every single main quest line and I'm on the 6th day, I think, or something around there. Now, am I correct in my assumption that to beat the game you have to get to the 13th day?

So does that mean I should've rationed tha main quests better since they each give you one extra day? I did two in one day one time.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mischitary posted:

Beat every single main quest line and I'm on the 6th day, I think, or something around there. Now, am I correct in my assumption that to beat the game you have to get to the 13th day?

So does that mean I should've rationed tha main quests better since they each give you one extra day? I did two in one day one time.

Nah, just spend the rest of the days committing genocide / side quests and looting hot pink gear. If you get all that done you can just sleep at a hotel until the bonus dungeon day and/or final day.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Regarding helper characters: In the Wildlands, do I lose Chocobodin after beating Caius? That would make me sad.

Also, still stuck on that boss. None of the schemas I've got set up seem to do enough damage/stagger (I did genocide the Ravagers so I have that sweet hot pick weapon), and the unblockable attacks take out half my HP bar. I'm tempted to come back later but I think I've done all the quests I can that don't involve having to wait until after that boss. I guess I should start futzing around the Dead Dunes since I'm only on Day 5.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Regarding helper characters: In the Wildlands, do I lose Chocobodin after beating Caius? That would make me sad.

Nope, he stays with you forever!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is it me or does Chronostasis get shorter when you use it repeatedly, or is it a random amount of time frozen each time?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Aurain posted:

Is it me or does Chronostasis get shorter when you use it repeatedly, or is it a random amount of time frozen each time?

I believe it's 5 minutes realtime (not counting time spent in combat or menus).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Nah, it's not that long. I read that it was 30 minutes of game time, and each minute of game time is 3 seconds. So supposedly it's 90 real-world seconds, not counting fights/conversations/menus. That goes pretty fast if you're not getting in a lot of fights or talking to people or sitting in the menu.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Schwartzcough posted:

Nah, it's not that long. I read that it was 30 minutes of game time, and each minute of game time is 3 seconds. So supposedly it's 90 real-world seconds, not counting fights/conversations/menus. That goes pretty fast if you're not getting in a lot of fights or talking to people or sitting in the menu.

I think it's actually 1 min = 2.5 seconds, Chrono for 75 seconds. I can check the book when I'm home I guess.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Also, still stuck on that boss. None of the schemas I've got set up seem to do enough damage/stagger (I did genocide the Ravagers so I have that sweet hot pick weapon), and the unblockable attacks take out half my HP bar. I'm tempted to come back later but I think I've done all the quests I can that don't involve having to wait until after that boss. I guess I should start futzing around the Dead Dunes since I'm only on Day 5.

Come back later: The Wildlands boss is definitely the hardest in the game till Day 7 (good news though, while all the other bosses get stronger on Day 7, the Wildlands one doesn't!).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chronostatis seems to last longer sometimes because fights stop the clock and so you can go like twenty minutes without it wearing off in certain areas.

I sort of wish there were more options for Hard Mode. It'd be interesting to see one where the Bonus Dungeon mechanics were applied to the whole game as a challenge mode. Time passing during fights would probably make the clock feel a lot more meaningful.

(I'd bet that was the original plan and playtesters or someone complained about it. A lot of the "there's too much time" stuff would vanish entirely if the clock wore down while you were fighting.)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

Chronostatis seems to last longer sometimes because fights stop the clock and so you can go like twenty minutes without it wearing off in certain areas.

I sort of wish there were more options for Hard Mode. It'd be interesting to see one where the Bonus Dungeon mechanics were applied to the whole game as a challenge mode. Time passing during fights would probably make the clock feel a lot more meaningful.

(I'd bet that was the original plan and playtesters or someone complained about it. A lot of the "there's too much time" stuff would vanish entirely if the clock wore down while you were fighting.)

If time went about a third as fast during battles, I think that would be perfect. That'd probably have left me with half a day of nothing left to do, instead of four.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Apropos of nothing, they sure did a great job choosing a perfect moment to reprise Crazy Chocobo.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Systematic System posted:

Come back later: The Wildlands boss is definitely the hardest in the game till Day 7 (good news though, while all the other bosses get stronger on Day 7, the Wildlands one doesn't!).

Good to know on both accounts. Now, if I'm saved right before the boss' room, and I don't have enough EP to teleport...is there a way out or am I boned?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

How exactly do the conditional moves work, for lack of a better term? Sometimes when an enemy is staggered Beat Down/Jump will become Launch, but there doesn't seem to be much consistency in when or why this happens.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

How exactly do the conditional moves work, for lack of a better term? Sometimes when an enemy is staggered Beat Down/Jump will become Launch, but there doesn't seem to be much consistency in when or why this happens.

I think that is dependent on the enemy as one of their specific stagger effects, not the attack. I know I've launched reavers with measly light slashes before.

That being said, some attacks do specifically say that they launch, so who knows.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 21, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Systematic System posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All the teleporters are either in the desert proper or the ruins you visit in the main storyline. I'd bet you're missing the teleporter for "Ruins - South Gate" which requires you to go up a passageway near a big gated-off area.

Thanks for the tip, but it wasn't that one. Found the one I was missing though. It was in an area I'd written off already because "it's really close to that one, it'd be stupid for one to be there". gently caress you, Near God's Wrath!

Anyway, skeletons are all murdered. Next up, Gaunts, because they're clogging up the graveyard and I need to fight dragons and big robots and they keep getting in the way. Plus they need a special Schema for me to fight them without getting battered to death by Aero/ra/ga. It's no fun when the enemies do it. Being Magic-immune fucks them over though. To be honest, it's pretty much essential for me. Pricks. I'll go murder the Dryads later too. Leave those Moogles alone you buncha creeps.

Also the arena still has Reavers and Cyclopes. What is this sorcery, they're extinct! :v:

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

chumbler posted:

I think that is dependent on the enemy as one of their specific stagger effects, not the attack. I know I've launched reavers with measly light slashes before.

That being said, some attacks do specifically say that they launch, so who knows.

I've only ever seen Launch become an option when the "yeah you're wrecking him real bad now!" music starts. I think that gets triggered by firing off stagger conditions in succession.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
What's a good staggering combo for most creatures? I know that some involve perfect guards and such but I just hardly every stagger anything. I've tried using blitz to slow the decay of the stagger bar but I just don't really stagger anything through attacks except for the little goblin mooks who die in the same swipe that staggers them.

I know punt is supposed to be good for it? Plus it does launch them eventually but I guess I haven't played around with enough stuff yet.

PunkBoy posted:

I played that part of the story with my sound low, so I completely missed that. :( Hopefully that happens with the optional fights as well. Really cool, though!

I didn't hear it because I was in the Cloud garb every time I finished a fight there during the main quest. :v:

Syrant fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 22, 2014

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Spoilered for strategy: then you're not staggering quickly or frequently enough. IIRC, you have to stagger both of them like 4 times within a short period of time in order to actually start damaging it at a decent pace. Also, actually damaging it is tough, but once they've been staggered they lose their resistance to poison. Chug ethers and abuse overdrive to stagger.

You're right, I need more stagger power. It's been pretty tough to get anything into the red before all the ATBs are out, and the defensive one isn't contributing at all. I just started a NG+ on the same difficulty, started shuffling them around a bit, hopefully with the weapon upgrading stuff I'll have a bit more of an edge when I get there again.

Schwartzcough posted:

Trying to get a really great Cyclops taint shot?

Yeah, what else :)

I was hoping to line up something a bit cool like this but the battle camera is a nightmare. I literally drove the Cyclops to extinction trying to catch a weapon impact without the screen flashing, so when I eventually caught Lightning taking a swing at the last one's junk I slapped a pun on it and called it a day.

Bonus Cactuar:

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Syrant posted:

What's a good staggering combo for most creatures? I know that some involve perfect guards and such but I just hardly every stagger anything. I've tried using blitz to slow the decay of the stagger bar but I just don't really stagger anything through attacks except for the little goblin mooks who die in the same swipe that staggers them.

I know punt is supposed to be good for it? Plus it does launch them eventually but I guess I haven't played around with enough stuff yet.

Try using more magic, most creatures are weak to an element. I just have a mage garb that just has all 4 elements so when a battle starts I check their stats, deshell/imperil if needed and then nuke the hell out of it. I'm staggering almost every enemy I fight.

Also in the enemy stats page the game specifically tells you what a monsters stagger conditions are (if you know them via testing or adventurer notes), a lot of monsters seem to have specific tricks you can do to stagger them.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Good to know on both accounts. Now, if I'm saved right before the boss' room, and I don't have enough EP to teleport...is there a way out or am I boned?

You can walk out, and it is pretty easy since that area you can just jump to the bottom. In the future, you can teleport straight from the entrance of the area to the boss arena (I know this because I also went to that boss wait too early).

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
X360 collectors guide code. Post if you redeem it

4kjdk qf7w3 v2ykv 32d6t 2prfz

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Exterminated the Skeletons. The weapon you get from the Last One is amazing. :swoon: I mean, it's the regular Skeleton drop, but a bit stronger (and pink), but the ability on it is brilliant if you pair it with Curse and Attack. Something-or-other-Chaser. Works with a whole bunch of debuffs, but Curse is the best. Gaunts went from a big pain that took ages to over in thirty seconds. So I sent them into extinction so I could fight more Dreadnaughts and those wind dragons. Both extinct as well now.

Picked up a pretty great strategy for Dreadnaughts. Deprotect, 11 Blizzagas. Well, four Blizzagas, Overclock, all the Overclocked Blizzagas, ordinary Blizzagas until it dies. Last One was exactly the same, just needed way more Blizzagas, and 8 EP worth of Overclock. And a bunch more Blizzagas. I love that big Last Ones give you 8 EP when you whack them, it lets you go loving mental on them.

Also the dragons collapsing when you cut off their tails is hilarious in slow-motion.

Anyway, think I've done all the Sidequests and Prayers I can so far in everywhere but the Dunes. Might leave some of those until next playthrough because I hate Earth Eaters. Will have a whack at that superboss though. Probably sort out the Cactuars.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McDragon posted:

Exterminated the Skeletons. The weapon you get from the Last One is amazing. :swoon: I mean, it's the regular Skeleton drop, but a bit stronger (and pink), but the ability on it is brilliant if you pair it with Curse and Attack. Something-or-other-Chaser. Works with a whole bunch of debuffs, but Curse is the best. Gaunts went from a big pain that took ages to over in thirty seconds. So I sent them into extinction so I could fight more Dreadnaughts and those wind dragons. Both extinct as well now.

Picked up a pretty great strategy for Dreadnaughts. Deprotect, 11 Blizzagas. Well, four Blizzagas, Overclock, all the Overclocked Blizzagas, ordinary Blizzagas until it dies. Last One was exactly the same, just needed way more Blizzagas, and 8 EP worth of Overclock. And a bunch more Blizzagas. I love that big Last Ones give you 8 EP when you whack them, it lets you go loving mental on them.

Also the dragons collapsing when you cut off their tails is hilarious in slow-motion.

Anyway, think I've done all the Sidequests and Prayers I can so far in everywhere but the Dunes. Might leave some of those until next playthrough because I hate Earth Eaters. Will have a whack at that superboss though. Probably sort out the Cactuars.

Having done some google-fu, it's literally impossible to do all the Dunes side quests on a first loop, because one of them needs you to clear the bonus dungeon in order to fill out the bestiary.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Having done some google-fu, it's literally impossible to do all the Dunes side quests on a first loop, because one of them needs you to clear the bonus dungeon in order to fill out the bestiary.

The kill every Last One one, I think? Yeah, apparently there's also three monsters that only appear in the last dungeon so you have to kill all of them as well and go into NG+.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Hey we've hit 100,000 snapshots so if you talk to an @LRFF13 NPC you can grab the Helter Skelter garb from the rewards store.

Strength +180
ATB +50
Default ATB -50%
Attack Lv.4

Next target is 250,000 posts for Duelist.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 22, 2014

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Tracking down a randomly spawning jerk is the worst way to get a garb. In fact I thought I found the guy, had the @lrff tag and everything, but it gave me a cute cactuar instead. Which is honestly better since I immediately stuck it on my warrior of peace but still.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Tempo 119 posted:

Hey we've hit 100,000 snapshots so if you talk to an @LRFF13 NPC you can grab the Helter Skelter garb from the rewards store.

Strength +180
ATB +50
Default ATB -50%
Attack Lv.4

I couldn't turn around without running into one of the official SE outerworld NPCs but now they're nowhere to be found

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

abaddonis posted:

I couldn't turn around without running into one of the official SE outerworld NPCs but now they're nowhere to be found

Same here, but then again I'm running around an empty desert. Guess I'll hunt for one when I'm in Luxerion or Yusnaan next.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I started a new game on Hard and now I'm day 4. I expected Hard Mode to be a lot more challenging, thinking they would scale it to account for all of the stats I gained from my first playthrough... but I'm just breezing through everything. Battles are going way faster than my first run. Maybe some of this could be attributed to the fact that now I know how the system works and I gained the ability to upgrade weapons, but overall, my equipment has not changed much from my first playthrough thanks to constantly being poor.

Gonna wait a few more days here to actually finish off the main storylines even though I've got everything completed to just before the bosses. I want to see just how hard the + versions will be so I can get a better gauge on whether this is just me improving, or if Hard Mode is just lacking.

Tempo 119 posted:

Strength +180
ATB +50
Default ATB -50%
Attack Lv.4

I bought Helter Skelter in-game earlier in the day just before it was unlocked as a reward, and I also bought Duellist soon after. Joke's on me!

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

abaddonis posted:

X360 collectors guide code. Post if you redeem it

4kjdk qf7w3 v2ykv 32d6t 2prfz

Redeemed, thanks!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

abaddonis posted:

I've not seen a single one yet. Anyone know if this is a limited-time grab or what?

Also, what outfit is it you get in the CE guide? Is it the Art of War one?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've not seen a single one yet. Anyone know if this is a limited-time grab or what?

Also, what outfit is it you get in the CE guide? Is it the Art of War one?

I don't remember. I got four codes when I preordered and redeemed them all at once. Art of war sounds right, although I haven't really used any of the DLC garbs, just the weapons/shields

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Now that Endgame is coming up I have a newfound appreciation for the FFXIII/FFXIII-2 costumes, for one simple reason; they have four open ability slots. Seriously, the other garbs are great and stuff but so many of them are held back by being stuck with poo poo abilities I don't want and/or are worse than the ones I have.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I think it may be down. I wasn't able to upload snapshots, and I didn't see a single outerworld character in 5 or so hours of play earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I finally started this a couple days back after finishing Bravely Default. Even though I had read plenty of reports from people saying the time limit was basically no problem at all, I was still a bit apprehensive at the beginning because, hey, it's a timer. Now, though, I've just finished Day 3 and have done two of the main quests and 4/5s of a third. I've also done 27 sidequests and 22 Canvas of Prayers things, so I'm finally starting to feel comfortable about the time crunch (or relative lack thereof).

• Locked thread