Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
B in memorium of the world famous frog-dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

If Hikari is super easy we might as well have a short run with her after we're done with the main one. With that said, I'm voting for B.

Carousel Of Regret
Nov 7, 2013
C seems cool

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
It's too bad you have to wait so long to see who your rivals are going to go after, or else I'd suggest a secondary objective of making sure Hikari winds up with someone. (Of course, I suppose we could deliberately treat her like poo poo so that Jun goes after her...)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Let's go for B: Miho, even though Homura was obviously the most correct choice.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Let's go with C!

Jynxite
May 1, 2013
I'm ashamed of all of you people talking about going after Homura or whoever in the next run, have you forgotten that science is our one true mistrees?! I mean, honestly, in what situation is not choosing :science: the correct option?
Anyway, I suppose that the girl who hates everyone looks interesting, so C.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Jynxite posted:

I'm ashamed of all of you people talking about going after Homura or whoever in the next run, have you forgotten that science is our one true mistrees?! I mean, honestly, in what situation is not choosing :science: the correct option?

When there are better options.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Nondevor posted:

When there are better options.

Like taking pity on the LPer who had to reset the game 110 times the last time he let the Goons vote on difficulty level? :D

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

vibratingsheep posted:

Like taking pity on the LPer who had to reset the game 110 times the last time he let the Goons vote on difficulty level? :D

You knew what you were getting into :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hey man, you already got to snooze through the Yuina route. :colbert:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
B because:

quote:

Vote for this option if: You're curious why Miho appears twice in this poll,

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

This may be jumping the gun a bit, but are you planning to cover all the girls in one "block"(in this case, Kotoko/Miho/Kaori) before allowing the thread to choose another one, or is it going to be one a girl-to-girl basis? Again, this is just out of curiosity.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

This may be jumping the gun a bit, but are you planning to cover all the girls in one "block"(in this case, Kotoko/Miho/Kaori) before allowing the thread to choose another one, or is it going to be one a girl-to-girl basis? Again, this is just out of curiosity.

Girl-by-girl basis, most likely. Just like in my Tokimemo 1 playthrough, I'll try and provide some breadth to the game while diving deep into one storyline. It's way more involved in 2 than it was in 1, though - as you can already see, and it's only one week in!

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
I'll vote D for smooth sailing for Hikari.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
D seems fine for the first run.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Voting D since I marathoned the off site thread for my route of choice, and feel that Hikari needs a chance.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Homura. Since you mentioned that she is a fan of superheroes, my heart compels me. Heroes of Justice have to stick together :colbert:

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
C because I was terrible at this game and never managed to win with Kaori.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

I think I fixed my black flicker problems. The fix involves swapping USB ports. No one I asked knows why it works, they just know that it works. Hrrrrrrgh...

Anyway, stream will be better than ever starting tomorrow night ~7 PM Pacific time. Right now it's looking like Miho and her frog will run away with the vote (she's nearly doubling up Hikari, the next highest vote-getter), but who knows, maybe over the next ~16 hours things will change!

Yeah, right.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
So hard to choose.

Please become a morman and marry Miho & Kaori.

Coughman
Mar 12, 2010

Communists and Freemasons.
All the girls I liked were in the other categories.
So i'm going D, let's get the easy stuff out of the way.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

B
:getin:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I think an easy run through the game would be fun. So D

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sorry if this question is approaching :filez: territory, but is there any particular reason that there's never been any sort of fan translation for this game? It actually seems really neat, so far, but since I have no desire to learn Japanese it seems I am SOL.

Also, C , because she seems pretty rad.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
Interesting how we've gone from Utter Perfection to Utter Breeze, but lets do it D for the childhood friend!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

dmboogie posted:

Sorry if this question is approaching :filez: territory, but is there any particular reason that there's never been any sort of fan translation for this game?

I don't know the reason as to why, but Tokimemo has actually been one of those cursed projects in fan translations circles for a while, where people have tried to get something going for it and then for one reason or the other, it's just fallen apart. I think a couple of the Girl's Side games got translated into English but otherwise the only real crack at a mainline Tokimeki was a reasonably complete english patch of all the endings of Tokimeki 1.

E; Sorry, that didn't really answer your question. People just haven't been able to keep it together long enough to make any significant progress on it.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 21, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I don't know the reason as to why, but Tokimemo has actually been one of those cursed projects in fan translations circles for a while, where people have tried to get something going for it and then for one reason or the other, it's just fallen apart. I think a couple of the Girl's Side games got translated into English but otherwise the only real crack at a mainline Tokimeki was a reasonably complete english patch of all the endings of Tokimeki 1.

Love Plus got a patch as well, which some people say is a successor to TokiMemo. :v:

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
A text-driven game is hard to convert out of your basement. There's a script to dump, translate, and re-insert. The game's Japanese so you'll need to create a new font. If the English phrasing is too long and occupies too much space you'll need to do some coding to expand the game's memory; I'm not sure if or how that would work with a PSX game. If you can't expand then you trim the dialogue until it fits the space you have.

Tokimemo 1 was probably the biggest unicorn of the SNES translation boom. It was a pretty popular game that people actively wanted to see translated and every person and group that tried to take a bite out of it broke themselves against it. The sequel then came out during a time when PSX translations were practically unheard of. Add in the fact that while there wasn't much reaction when NES and SNES games were being tinkered with Sony came out in full force to defend the PSX when emulation of the system became possible. Sony lost those cases but succeeded in driving the opposing companies out of business from the accumulated legal fees they needed to defend themselves. No one was really keen on taking on PSX games for a while for fear of reprisal. Even now projects for the system are uncommon.

So basically it's a huge project where no one at the time of its release could or was willing to touch it and by now most people who really wanted to play it already have with the help of language knowledge, a guide, or sheer cussedness.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Gyre posted:

If you're a nerd and want to know why EVSing Goon was so complicated, read on!

Thanks for this! A really interesting explanation.

Also, I'm voting C because she seems the most interesting.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Tokimemo series is hard to translate because [stuff].

Additionally one of the reasons people love Tokimemo 1 so drat much is because it's so perfectly Konami. It wasn't enough to chase girls and get your happily ever after with your waifu. Konami added a whole BUNCH of additional awesome stuff to the game that you have to find and ALSO translate. I've heard there's a fan theory that we STILL haven't found everything.

All that awesome extra stuff actually pushed the disk to its limits, pretty much almost filling all of it. Hence why a translation patch is so difficult because of the issues mentioned above.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

C because I always liked the character for some reason. Although at least for LP purposes Miho's route will be good for showing off the game.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

B. Although to be honest, i think a Cockblock Forever Alone playthrough of the game would be hilarious.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

UrbicaMortis posted:

Cockblock Forever Alone playthrough of the game would be hilarious.

I'd like to see this too, it seems like it would be really funny.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Alright, vote closed, it's time to start working on the Miho run! I'll be streaming in about two hours on my channel:

http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

UrbicaMortis posted:

B. Although to be honest, i think a Cockblock Forever Alone playthrough of the game would be hilarious.

Perhaps in the fullness of time. We'll see.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Alright, vote closed, it's time to start working on the Miho run!

:getin:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Alright, vote closed, it's time to start working on the Miho run! I'll be streaming in about two hours on my channel:

http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

Perhaps in the fullness of time. We'll see.

This is another thing I'd love to see, too...the problem is there's too much good stuff in these games! I really appreciate everything you've done and you are doing! It's been really fun to understand things and see other sides to the games.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Even though she wasn't my first choice, I'm really happy to see a Miho run. Those childhood scenes were just adorable(and hilarious), and the school legend of a "happily ever after" seems appropriate for a girl so fond of fairytales.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm hopeful that being the clingy childhood friend means that Hikari will become Megumi mkII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Going live any second now: http://twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

• Locked thread