Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Huh. Now, that's weird, because I'm pretty sure Beldorian the Splendid (seriously) was meant to be this kind of all-muscle Hutt rather than the all-flab ones we usually see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Finally slogged through the last twenty pages of Balance Point. Yeech.

Edge of Victory, here I come.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Casimir Radon posted:

They've got a new image since last time I checked.

I didn't read the book, but... teeth?

Then again, Jabba's dad had dreadlocks, so what the hell do I know about Hutts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Hutts are basically the most powerful species in the galaxy according to the EU. Aside from the fact that they live ten times as long as humans, have blaster-proof skin, can metabolise almost anything, are immune to most poisons, can't be affected by Jedi mind tricks and can vacuum seal themselves to survive in space, they've control an entire region of space that makes them all kinds of money and there's nothing the Empire or Republic can seemingly do about it, they control pretty much half the organised crime in the entire galaxy, they had a star empire before almost every other species.

To top it off, they get to spend basically all their time lying about and eating.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm more disturbed by Leia and her 'uh yeah whatever' apathetic facial expression really.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Honestly your avatar kinda looks like the hutt.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chairman Capone posted:

Because that clearly makes perfect sense for the character.

To be fair, it isn't the only emperor's hand in history that Lando has befriended that ended up a smuggler.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

After that last pile of crap, Edge of Victory was a literary loving masterpiece. Keyes seems to have a real knack for writing relationships between characters, and thanks to these books, I'm suddenly loving the Vong. All that lovely detail, all these lovely quirks and heresies. I really hope Nen Yim keeps on being a good villain.

Next up, Troy Denning with Star by Star. Oh boy.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I really like the Vong as villains. I wish that some more decent writers had been able to have a crack at writing them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Siivola posted:

After that last pile of crap, Edge of Victory was a literary loving masterpiece. Keyes seems to have a real knack for writing relationships between characters, and thanks to these books, I'm suddenly loving the Vong. All that lovely detail, all these lovely quirks and heresies. I really hope Nen Yim keeps on being a good villain.

Next up, Troy Denning with Star by Star. Oh boy.
Keyes is a pretty good author. His Age of Unreason series is pretty good if you want to read more by him.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Yeah, for all the hate the NJO gets, the Vong were really good villains most of the time, especially Nen Yim and Nom Anor. Sure, their technology didn't always make sense, but it's Star Wars, what does make sense?

I think it was someone a few threads ago who basically said that the whole of the NJO is really an alien invasion story in a universe where aliens already live right up the block from you. It doesn't always work (looking at you, Balance Point and Dark Journey), but I applaud it for actually taking Star Wars in a fairly new direction and ending the series in a point where returning to the status quo might not be possible.

Then bugnest orgies came along and everything got weird, then the series after that tried its hardest to take things back to that status quo in the dumbest way possible.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 20, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NJO is pretty drat solid and I have no issues with it, even with the weaker books. It pulled the EU out of the rut, such a shame that most of it is now just another Star Wars.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So seeing as the "Let's Read Terrible Star Wars Books" thread is archived, and I wanted to preserve my lame attempts at humor, I've started to redo them on my new blog, so you can read them here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Then bugnest orgies came along and everything got weird, then the series after that tried its hardest to take things back to that status quo in the dumbest way possible.

I'm not sure which of the LOTF retcons was most frustrating. The way I see it, it was a three-way tie between a) Omas goes from being the Jedi Order's biggest supporters to a complete rear end who obstructs them at every turn (because there has to be contention between the Jedi and the senate) b) Coruscant is back to normal after being reshaped by the Vong and the world brain is killed off without much fanfare or c) Vergere was an evil Sith Lord all along.

Of course, there's probably some I've forgotten. Those are the ones that stuck out to me when I read them (as they were coming out), and I've never re-read them.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

The thread is crazy-long, so I don't know if this has been asked before, but:

Are there any EU books or stories centering around non-humans? Droids, aliens, whichever. I'm planning on reading the Yoda book but I'm hoping there's more out there, preferably book-length.

The SW galaxy has so many crazy species in it and then basically every plot centers around humans. Feels like kind of a waste.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Tales of Jabba's Palace, Tales of Mos Eisley Cantina, Bounty Hunter Trilogy, probably others too.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mercy Kill is mostly about Voort saBinring, professor of mathematics and the only Gamorrean to ever have flown an X-Wing.

You'll have to read the other Wraith Squadron books first, though. :getin:

Edit: Oh, a status report on Operation Vong Books: Star by Star is a boring, rear end-long YA novel and I feel like I'd rather clean the oven than keep reading it. And I'm only halfway through.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 20, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Star by Star is only as relatively highly regarded because

1) the rest of NJO up to that point has been so abysmal
2) it contains a lot of payoffs for stuff that's been set up before

In retrospect however, Troy Denning is awful and Star by Star was quite terrible.

Not to worry, however, because you're headed into the 3 best books of the series, all paperback.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Star by star is kinda lovely but the end part is pretty fun, although there's so much crap to get through.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Star by Star is poo poo. I honestly don't get why so many people love it. In retrospect it exhibits all the problems of Denning's later works - his weirdly-sexualized view of Leia, heavy promotion of his pet characters, tons of bleak violence, characterization that makes no sense, and plot driven by editorial mandates rather than anything the characters would 'really' do. I guess the difference is from Dark Nest on Denning was driving the overall plot, while here he was pretty limited by the Lucasbooks team with what he could or couldn't do.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Are there any EU books or stories centering around non-humans? Droids, aliens, whichever. I'm planning on reading the Yoda book but I'm hoping there's more out there, preferably book-length.

The comic Starfighter: Crossbones is pretty much all about a group of alien pirates, and is pretty fun. Similarly the short comic The Devaronian Version, all about Vilmahr Grahrk and IMO probably the funniest EU work.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Metal Loaf posted:

The Hutts are basically the most powerful species in the galaxy according to the EU. Aside from the fact that they live ten times as long as humans, have blaster-proof skin, can metabolise almost anything, are immune to most poisons, can't be affected by Jedi mind tricks and can vacuum seal themselves to survive in space, they've control an entire region of space that makes them all kinds of money and there's nothing the Empire or Republic can seemingly do about it, they control pretty much half the organised crime in the entire galaxy, they had a star empire before almost every other species.

To top it off, they get to spend basically all their time lying about and eating.

But a waif of a female human can strangle one with a flimsy chain.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well, They do have some pretty stubby hands and short arms. Nobody is perfect.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A Hutt's arms are his achilles exhaust port

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We all missed a golden oppotunity of having a Hutt with Jaxx style arm enhancements in the KJA era.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SeanBeansShako posted:

We all missed a golden oppotunity of having a Hutt with Jaxx style arm enhancements in the KJA era.

But thankfully KW Jeter wrote the bounty hunter wars trilogy

E: Though those hutts had more than arm enhancements, whatever.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm planning on reading the Yoda book
Huh.. there's a Yoda book? "Yoda: Dark Rendezvous"?
I see it's part of "Clone Wars"-series, do you need to read others to read it? I've only read Shatterpoint and maybe Cestus Deception but I don't remember it..

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The older Clone Wars line of books were all pretty standalone. Other than the two Medstar books, obviously.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Conquistador posted:

But thankfully KW Jeter wrote the bounty hunter wars trilogy

E: Though those hutts had more than arm enhancements, whatever.

Ah, yes, the Shell Hutts. The idea was that Hutts are immune to everything except radiation, so they sealed themselves in starship hull plating with built-in repulsors and robot arms.

Still not as odd as that one bounty hunter who had a gun instead of a head.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Siivola posted:

Mercy Kill is mostly about Voort saBinring, professor of mathematics and the only Gamorrean to ever have flown an X-Wing.

You'll have to read the other Wraith Squadron books first, though. :getin:

Can I skip the Rogue books and just read the Wraith ones? Corran "every lady wants that dick" Horn is really tedious to read about, as fun as the space battles and stuff are. :ohdear:

Nice to hear Yoda: Dark Rendevous is pretty standalone, because I was gonna charge headlong into it whether it was or not. Also, I'm definitely gonna check out the Tales books that were mentioned. Thanks!

I don't know why I keep reading the EU. I got started with a copy of Crystal Star someone left in the breakroom at work, thought it was a miserable trash heap, and then ... started reading the Corellia trilogy where Han has to wrestle a space otter right after, since those were the next books to get left behind on the communal book shelf. Reading those two things had some of the worst Leia characterization I've ever seen.

My favorite part of Crystal Star is probably how Leia manages to find her missing children by, like, Force crying or something.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Can I skip the Rogue books and just read the Wraith ones? Corran "every lady wants that dick" Horn is really tedious to read about, as fun as the space battles and stuff are. :ohdear:

Yes. The Wraith and Rogue books are completely separate plotlines.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Reading those two things had some of the worst Leia characterization I've ever seen.

Ok, now someone tell him about The Black Fleet Crisis.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, now someone tell him about The Black Fleet Crisis.
It wasn't just the Leia characterizations that were hosed up.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Casimir Radon posted:

It wasn't just the Leia characterizations that were hosed up.

Granted.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Worst Leia characterization? You can't forget Courtship of Princess Leia! Though maybe that really just has the worst characterization of Han.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jazerus posted:

Worst Leia characterization? You can't forget Courtship of Princess Leia! Though maybe that really just has the worst characterization of Han.

But the funniest song about him:

C-3PO posted:

He's got his own planet,

Although it's kind of wild.

Wookiees love him.

Women love him.

He's got a winning smile!

Though he may seem cool and cocky,

He's more sensitive than he seems,

Han Solo,

What a man! Solo.

He's every Princess's dream!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I wish this book wasn't so long. I wish everyone in it wasn't so dumb. I wish it played Yakety Sax over this dumbass finale because it would be the perfect soundtrack. gently caress you, Star by Star.

Edit: There! Done! gently caress you, Star by Star!

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 22, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That bit with the song is even more hilarious as Han pulls a gun on Leia and knocks her out and kidnaps her.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's amazing how bland and boring Star By Star is considering what it was supposed to be about. Really says a lot about Denning as a writer

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I have to say one thing for Star by Star: It made Dark Journey look really good in comparison. A lot of it felt a bit rushed and kinda unpolished, but Cunningham's banter and wit made up for a lot. It also helps that the plot was essentially Jaina constantly one-upping herself at trolling the Vong. Still, I felt there was a lot of telling-not-showing going on, especially with the dark side bits. Her near fall and recovery didn't really feel all too satisfying as a result.

But really, it had witty banter and two young people being smoothly awkward around each other. I'm a sucker for this stuff.

And now, it's time for Rebel Dream. This is the reason I picked NJO up, Allston better deliver. :ohdear:

Edit: Tycho just opened his mouth. This is the best book.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

That bit with the song is even more hilarious as Han pulls a gun on Leia and knocks her out and kidnaps her.

:psyduck:

I'm so glad I've avoided most of the post-ROTJ EU since my initial few books, holy poo poo. Why can't everything just be Shadows of Mindor, forever?