Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I got the game in the Steam Holiday Sale. I'm getting random CTDs with no error message, one yesterday after 57 minutes and one today after 22. How can I debug this? I've installed the Swartz mod compilation 1.4 if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xik posted:

Rereading the interview it honestly doesn't even seem like he knows what the gently caress he was trying to do.

This is the correct takeaway. :cheeky:

We can all just agree he was nuts.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to merge mods somewhat easily? I'm finally doing another playthrough and started off with Schwartz mod and I switched midway through to another mod that doesn't include shotgun suppressors. That's pretty much the only thing that I want from Schwartz.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
Started a game with the Swartz mod, how do I get the Cannon to show up?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Rebought this for PC since it was on sale this week. Are there any must have mods I should get?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
FC2 had probably the best atmosphere of any game I've ever played, despite its flaws. It had such a great sense of place, Pala and the other settlements having a genuine desperate, grotty, sun-baked reality to them, and just exploring this hostile-yet-beautiful landscape was great. Shame it was always being interrupted by assholes in jeeps and blurry yellow vision. (I really wish they'd patched in a post-game option like FC3 that let you do what you wanted around both maps without the drat malaria kicking in.)

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Payndz posted:

FC2 had probably the best atmosphere of any game I've ever played, despite its flaws. It had such a great sense of place, Pala and the other settlements having a genuine desperate, grotty, sun-baked reality to them, and just exploring this hostile-yet-beautiful landscape was great. Shame it was always being interrupted by assholes in jeeps and blurry yellow vision. (I really wish they'd patched in a post-game option like FC3 that let you do what you wanted around both maps without the drat malaria kicking in.)

I tried to play FC2 for the first time a couple of weeks ago on PS3. I guess it's good I only paid $10 for a used copy from Gamestop. I did not like this game... AT ALL. Thought the gameplay was repetitive, the story was going no where (after about 3-4 hours of play), and the malaria thing was hella stupid. gently caress the fact that every where I go every one in this crappy third world country is under the assumption that they need to shoot first and ask questions later. I'm pretty sure I wasn't being impatient. FC2 was crap compared to the fun I had playing FC3 on PS3.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

No mini map and poo poo all hand holding made fc2 good like the first couple hours of fc3 until you become super islander killer.

Running under fire switching between the map and the gun and dodging the fires that they, or was that me, started while reducing them to gibbering wrecks was much more satisfying in 2 than 3.

E: arseholes in jeeps simply mean explosives time and this is usually good

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"Nobody can know i'm working with you so even my guys will shoot you"

gently caress off *takes game back*. Seriously, way to kill my motivation to play less than an hour in. Its just you against the world of infinitely spawning jeeps. It wouldn't be so bad if whoever picked you up had areas you could be safe in that weren't in the center of the map/pub.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The best part was that rocket launchers only worked about half the time. You'd step out into the road to fire a rocket at a convoy and it would plop out the ground and skitter limply under the truck you were aiming at before veering off the road and blowing up a zebra, setting everything on fire as it went.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Far Cry 2 is a much better game if you don't do the secondary objectives. I played through it and did all of the secondary objectives that your buddy gives you. It only makes it tedious as many of them have you driving all over the map and the reward is hardly worth it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Snak posted:

The best part was that rocket launchers only worked about half the time. You'd step out into the road to fire a rocket at a convoy and it would plop out the ground and skitter limply under the truck you were aiming at before veering off the road and blowing up a zebra, setting everything on fire as it went.

You see, out of context this sounds really awesome.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I like the video I saw of someone intentionally drowning the character to take some damage, and then doing the first aid animation pulling out bullets, and fixing broken thumbs. :v:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Far Cry 3 would have been immensely better if they had just decided to make the protagonist and his friends natives of the island or at the very least got rid of the Rakyat entirely so that it isn't a white savior story.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

canyoneer posted:

I like the video I saw of someone intentionally drowning the character to take some damage, and then doing the first aid animation pulling out bullets, and fixing broken thumbs. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF03s_DDAtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA6RNURsdLk

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 4, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Oh god those sounds and animations freak me out

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's a lot of even worse ones since it has a bunch of other animations for if you got shot or set on fire. I'm not sure why I watched this but I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENswNs3Q-Fg

Has any other game featured a first person animation where you pull out your own tooth??

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

blackguy32 posted:

Far Cry 3 would have been immensely better if they had just decided to make the protagonist and his friends natives of the island or at the very least got rid of the Rakyat entirely so that it isn't a white savior story.

You don't understand man! Marketing shows that most of our clients are white men! That means they will hate it if they have to play as someone who isn't a white man! Its research! :master:

I am in complete agreement, I loving hated Jason and his friends. It would have been way less cringeworthy if they had him help the Rakyat in a way that didn't make it seem like he was the only one helping them. Maybe assaulting more positions with the Rakyat rather than doing everything for them, etc. As it stands, the Rakyat sit around and occasionally get mauled by animals while jason does everything for them.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

The writer's response to the criticism reaches North Korean levels of self-delusion.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So does anyone else like shooting guns at AI with impunity? Because that's a good reason to play Far Cry 2 and 3.

Writing? Racism? Huh?

Yeah, sure, okay. :hellyeah:

"10 AND 2! 10 AND 2!
JIGGLE THE KEYS!
DEPRESS THE PEDAL!"
:rice:

I've never taken the writing of, or implications thereof, Far Cry seriously, and I think I'm enjoying the game more because of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's exactly why I play them but far cry 3 made it really goddamn hard to ignore the writing, racism and everything else that was wrong with it when it insisted on throwing increasingly terrible unskippable first-person cutscenes filled with QTEs at you.

Far Cry 2's story stuff was way less obnoxious and more spread out, so the more I go through a replay of Far Cry 3 the more I appreciate it. I've probably mentioned this before but the way it did menu/UI stuff in general was just way better than FC3. It never makes you cut to a menu ever (even the stores have a cool zoom-in to the computer screen so it doesn't quite feel like just a menu).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Far Cry 3 had better gameplay over 2. I couldn't even finish two, I got to the second map, did half the missions there and got so loving bored.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

dogstile posted:

You don't understand man! Marketing shows that most of our clients are white men! That means they will hate it if they have to play as someone who isn't a white man! Its research! :master:

The great god Focus Grouping has spoken! Pay tribute to his weekday mall wandering prophets with sandwiches and a single bag of chips!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
It's not really a White Savior story because everyone on the island is a total poo poo. I'm pretty sure the writer behind this game put more thought in than you're all giving him credit for. This isn't a LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYBODY deal, it's something that at least attempts to be self-aware. When it comes to the whole racism argument, I don't think it's a coincidence that Sam appears to be a neo-nazi but turns out to be the most fun character in the game, for instance. I'm pretty sure it's intentional that a bunch of spoiled white 20-somethings get dumped in a warzone on the other side of the world, and crying racism because the people already there have different color skin and don't do anything other than be assholes to you is stupid as all hell. The basic setting is Pirates vs. Natives, and that wouldn't make any sense in any other part of the world.

I'd liken the game to Bioshock Infinite plot-wise in that it gets worse the more you try to analyze it. On the surface it's a pretty decent metaphor for addiction, the rise and fall of someone battling with substance abuse, the accompanying isolation and self-delusion, and the final choice to either give up and sever all contact with the past, or acknowledge the problem and attempt to redeem yourself. But it's another case of plot being hamstrung by the double-whammy of an over-ambitious writer and the gameplay variation necessary to pad out a triple-A game.

For what it's worth, I absolutely believe the guy when he says he was trying to do something really elaborate here. It's not denial, he's just not as good as he thinks he is.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

dogstile posted:

Far Cry 3 had better gameplay over 2. I couldn't even finish two, I got to the second map, did half the missions there and got so loving bored.
It's because the missions are boring. Far Cry 2 is a decent sandbox game but you kind of have to make your own fun for it to work. I'm surprised to find that I keep coming back to Far Cry 2 even now just to gently caress around and shoot stuff (haven't touched FC3 since finishing it). I can't pinpoint exactly what it's doing right but it's definitely something.

Of course I'll never forgive them for not including modding support :smith:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

dogstile posted:

I am in complete agreement, I loving hated Jason and his friends.

I liked Daisy. Daisy rescued herself and fixed the boat. Daisy gets poo poo done.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dicky B posted:

It's because the missions are boring. Far Cry 2 is a decent sandbox game but you kind of have to make your own fun for it to work. I'm surprised to find that I keep coming back to Far Cry 2 even now just to gently caress around and shoot stuff (haven't touched FC3 since finishing it). I can't pinpoint exactly what it's doing right but it's definitely something.

Of course I'll never forgive them for not including modding support :smith:

I think the durability aspect hampers my fun a lot. But you are right, it can be a good Sandbox at times.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 6, 2014

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
I liked all the weird poo poo that people didn't like that much in Far Cry 2 (except for the lovely respawn times for checkpoints). Guns breaking and malaria attacks in the middle of fire fights forced me out of my comfort zone and got me to improvise; which seems perfectly fit for Far Cry 3 since you have a lot more options dealing with enemies with no weapons.

Far Cry 3's design seemed strange where they get rid of things people didn't like completely, but adding more cool poo poo that would've made the cut features actual pluses. At least for me, anyways.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you want to do wacky sandbox poo poo and have fun just rampaging around and playing with vehicles, of course you're going to like FC3 more. FC2 is not about doing fun poo poo. It's basically about everything sucking forever. It's kind of like how modern rainbow six games are nothing like the original ones, because the wanted to make them more fun. They are different experiences that aren't trying to do the same thing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cryohazard posted:

It's not really a White Savior story because everyone on the island is a total poo poo. I'm pretty sure the writer behind this game put more thought in than you're all giving him credit for. This isn't a LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYBODY deal, it's something that at least attempts to be self-aware. When it comes to the whole racism argument, I don't think it's a coincidence that Sam appears to be a neo-nazi but turns out to be the most fun character in the game, for instance. I'm pretty sure it's intentional that a bunch of spoiled white 20-somethings get dumped in a warzone on the other side of the world, and crying racism because the people already there have different color skin and don't do anything other than be assholes to you is stupid as all hell. The basic setting is Pirates vs. Natives, and that wouldn't make any sense in any other part of the world.

I'd liken the game to Bioshock Infinite plot-wise in that it gets worse the more you try to analyze it. On the surface it's a pretty decent metaphor for addiction, the rise and fall of someone battling with substance abuse, the accompanying isolation and self-delusion, and the final choice to either give up and sever all contact with the past, or acknowledge the problem and attempt to redeem yourself. But it's another case of plot being hamstrung by the double-whammy of an over-ambitious writer and the gameplay variation necessary to pad out a triple-A game.

For what it's worth, I absolutely believe the guy when he says he was trying to do something really elaborate here. It's not denial, he's just not as good as he thinks he is.

And yet, when you get to the end of it, it turns out white person saves natives from something that they couldn't handle themselves, which is pretty much the whole white savior schtick. The writer might have been trying for something different, but that's what he produced. There's nothing inherently wrong with the story of "white guy saves people in another country" considering everyone wants to be the hero and they were probably trying to make the main character into a blank portrait so that anyone who was white and male could get into it easier. Its just boring and its a shame he fell into it.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

dogstile posted:

And yet, when you get to the end of it, it turns out white person saves natives from something that they couldn't handle themselves, which is pretty much the whole white savior schtick. The writer might have been trying for something different, but that's what he produced. There's nothing inherently wrong with the story of "white guy saves people in another country" considering everyone wants to be the hero and they were probably trying to make the main character into a blank portrait so that anyone who was white and male could get into it easier. Its just boring and its a shame he fell into it.

I disagree with that, because of the generic tribal stuff- Jason has to essentially become one of the natives in order to do gently caress all about anything. Him being a young white male on the other side of the world isn't what makes him able to do poo poo, it's embracing what's already on the island and becoming a part of it to the point where his young white friends barely recognise him.

What does make it a little racist are the connotations of the "Snow White" tag.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think you understand the "white savior"/"out nativing the natives" trope.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, the reason its a white saviour thing is because its some white dude who goes to an island full of natives, becomes better than them at something they've been doing their entire lives and saves them because of it.

"Becoming" a native is actually part of that trope.

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

edit: err.. wrong everything please disregard.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

blackguy32 posted:

Far Cry 3 would have been immensely better had you been working with Buck and Vaas the whole time. Add Far Cry 2's watch mechanic to advance time when you want, maybe throw in the little safehouses, hell yes party time.

Morter posted:

So does anyone else like shooting guns at AI with impunity? Because that's a good reason to play Far Cry 2 and 3.

Shooting guns is fun and all, but I vastly prefer putting machetes in people. Stab a dude, throw his knife at his buddy, charge around the corner and stab two more dudes, :toot:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 31, 2014

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

FC3 should've just been a remake/re-telling of FC2, without as much malaria.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

nexus6 posted:

I got the game in the Steam Holiday Sale. I'm getting random CTDs with no error message, one yesterday after 57 minutes and one today after 22. How can I debug this? I've installed the Swartz mod compilation 1.4 if that makes any difference.

Very late but for anyone else who got this in the/a sale: IDK about debugging, but I turned off overlay from UPlay and Steam, and had UPlay run in offline mode by default, and all my CTDs went away.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Man, I am still trying to find a good mod that simply increases the enemy spawns without loving with other stuff. It sucks because there are mods that are so so close but they always have that one thing that fucks everything up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The game's narrative is poo poo, but the open world is so much fun. I finally got things to where I want them by taking someone else's mod and deleting the stuff in it that I didn't like.

-No free weapons
-Weapons are more expensive to buy
-All skills are able to be earned from the start
-Double the enemies
-You can choose if you want to capture outposts or not.

It makes the game pretty neat, since there are enemies every where and it isn't always in your best interest to jump in a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finally got back into playing this since I got stuck on a stealth mission way early in the game (the ship one, I guess the first one?).

Anyone know where to find some boars? I've killed tigers and cassowaries, and dogs and pigs but I can't find a single god damned boar and I just need ONE of the fuckers to finish up a craft item.

Also, holy poo poo, gators are a bitch in this thing. Also, gently caress sharks. Took me getting attack like 5 times to realize I could climb in a boat and just shoot the fuckers rather than go mano a sharko with em.

• Locked thread