Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jeffLebowski posted:

Did I somehow miss the thread or discussion on Strider? It seems like a really solid Metroidvania and something goons would be eating up right about now.

A lot of people seem to be discussing it in the next-gen threads since it got a release there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What I've heard about it is that it has lots of potential that isn't really followed through on, area design is incredibly same-y and unvaried,and the combat is incredibly easy and devolves to 'get in enemy face + mash sword button.' If you haven't played Shadow Complex yet (or haven't in a long while), go play that instead.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's definitely worse than Shadow Complex, but it's also a ton of fun at the same time. I won't disagree with any of those points, but I've been having a blast with it despite all that (on PS4, if it matters).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I wish Strider was zoomed out a little farther, it's cute but yeah, I'm gonna wait for a bargain sale on it. :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

feraltennisprodigy posted:

I thought that the protagonist in Prototype 2 was way more likable than the one from the first game, he seemed like a pretty chill dude.

BAIL OUT AND gently caress OVER THE SCIENTISTS.

I love it when quest objectives are reflected by the character's personality.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Do we know what March's games with gold are going to be yet?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is Prototype 2 as much of a DLC pump as it looks like? $10 to access side missions? Are you loving serious?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

MZ posted:

Do we know what March's games with gold are going to be yet?

Not until the last day of the month when Major Nelson posts them on his blog, and it will always be like that. Hope that answers your question for the remaining 10 months of this year. ;)

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Is Prototype 2 as much of a DLC pump as it looks like? $10 to access side missions? Are you loving serious?

It's one of those online pass things you would have got with the game. Remember those? They were poo poo.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://majornelson.com/

State of Decay and Payday are might tempting.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
MK9 is a steal for 5 bucks.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Mortal Kombat is well worth the price there.
It's not a prefect game but it's pretty fun with a ridiculous storyline.

The Cave isn't bad either...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The Cave is awful and this is coming from someone who really enjoyed every single other Double Fine game. It was Ron Gilbert's baby from before he even put out Maniac Mansion and it shows really hard. Good thing he left the company after making GBS threads it out, I'd hate to have seen Broken Age with his input.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

flatluigi posted:

The Cave is awful and this is coming from someone who really enjoyed every single other Double Fine game. It was Ron Gilbert's baby from before he even put out Maniac Mansion and it shows really hard. Good thing he left the company after making GBS threads it out, I'd hate to have seen Broken Age with his input.

Agreed. I love this style of game, and I love a lot of Gilbert's classic games, but The Cave is one of the most poorly designed messes I've played in years. Hated it.

Might pick up Sonic Generations though. I've heard it's a pretty good mix of old and new Sonic.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Cave isn't even funny, which is weird! The script is really bad, like every joke starts off okay but is then sabotaged by being taken too far. I got it for free on PS+ and couldn't play it for very long before becoming thoroughly bored and annoyed.

I don't understand how someone as cool as Chris Remo, with his sense for game design and restrained writing, could have co-written it. Weird.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Alteisen posted:

http://majornelson.com/

State of Decay and Payday are might tempting.
State of Decay has a decent enough demo on live that left me wanting more enough that when it was on sale around Xmas, I leapt on it.

Give it a try if you're on the fence, the whole compound / survivors mechanic really interested me but I only got to it towards the end of the demo.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Sonic generations is actually really fun, and worth picking up. It's easily the best sonic since (controversial opinion coming in) sonic 2

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
State of Decay is great and if you like it, you ought to get Breakdown sooner rather than later.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Is anyone having trouble buying anything through the Xbox right now? I can't seem to complete a purchase, no matter what payment method I choose - it just says there's a problem with the service.

Edit: Had to use the webstore, which is a bummer since I missed out on applying the credit on my account.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Akuma posted:

Is anyone having trouble buying anything through the Xbox right now? I can't seem to complete a purchase, no matter what payment method I choose - it just says there's a problem with the service.

Edit: Had to use the webstore, which is a bummer since I missed out on applying the credit on my account.

I was have issues last night trying to download Borderlands 2 DLC inside the game.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Bobby Deluxe posted:

State of Decay has a decent enough demo on live that left me wanting more enough that when it was on sale around Xmas, I leapt on it.

Give it a try if you're on the fence, the whole compound / survivors mechanic really interested me but I only got to it towards the end of the demo.

I'm kind of bummed that the sandbox mode is so expensive but the demo sold me that it would be a fun enough game on its own.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Where the gently caress is the option to turn off auto renewal, I can't find it on the site or my console.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I had to phone up to switch it off - some older accounts you apparently still have to do this because the option is greyed out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Where the gently caress is the option to turn off auto renewal, I can't find it on the site or my console.

You need to call maybe. That's what I had to do.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My account is 7 years old and I don't have the options at all.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/xbox-live-membership/cancel-xbox-live-gold-subscription

I followed the directions here but once I get in there, there's no cancel automatic payment option.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Warface is really, really bad. In case anyone was wondering. Seriously, it's an awful ripoff of Payday and Battlefield and is just dull and boring. Maybe I'm playing it wrong, but I don't think so.

World of Tanks is really fun, though!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Alteisen posted:

My account is 7 years old and I don't have the options at all.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/xbox-live-membership/cancel-xbox-live-gold-subscription

I followed the directions here but once I get in there, there's no cancel automatic payment option.
That's about the age of my account, and I had to call support, who managed to combine the joy of speech recognition that only worked if I put on a cheesy American accent, and an Indian call centre.

Once you've called you can change it from the website from then on, but some older accounts don't have the option by default.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

If a credit card was used for a currently active subscription you can't turn off auto renew, I think.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's about the age of my account, and I had to call support, who managed to combine the joy of speech recognition that only worked if I put on a cheesy American accent, and an Indian call centre.

I don't know why I find the idea of having to fake an American accent for support line speech recognition so amusing.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
There's always been a link for me right below my payment information to turn off auto-renewal. But really, the easiest universal way to do it is to change your primary cc info to an old Visa gift card with $0.29 left on it.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
Sunday's deals, headlined by...

code:
REAL STEEL
2014-02-22	Price:
$9.99 => $1.99
80% off	Full Game [xbox.com]
Game Type: Arcade

Pool Nation
2014-02-22	Price:
$9.99 => $0.99
90% off	Full Game [xbox.com]

NiGHTS into dreams...
2014-02-22	Price:
$9.99 => $2.49
75% off	Full Game [xbox.com]

Dark Souls™
2014-02-22	Price:
$19.99 => $4.99
75% off	Dark Souls™ [xbox.com]
Game Type: Xbox360

Red Dead Redemption
2014-02-22	Price:
$29.99 => $7.49
75% off	Red Dead Redemption [xbox.com]

The Orange Box
2014-02-22	Price:
$19.99 => $4.99
75% off	The Orange Box [xbox.com]

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE
2014-02-22	Price:
$39.99 => $14.79
63% off	METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE [xbox.com]

Call of Duty®: Ghosts
2014-02-22	Price:
$59.99 => $40.19
33% off	Call of Duty®: Ghosts [xbox.com]

Diablo III
2014-02-22	Price:
$59.99 => $40.19
33% off	Diablo III [xbox.com]
Yet another 33% off Ghosts deal aside (always hits me like a wet blanket), they seem like a nice bunch! Might personally go for Orange Box just to play HL2 and Portal again, I assume the TF2 side of things is dead. Any of Nights/Real Steel/Pool Nation worth taking a flier on?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Oh hey, TA has an actual sales hub: http://www.trueachievements.com/xbox-sales.aspx

That's super useful, wonder how long they've had it?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Nights. Dark souls. You must all get nights and dark souls.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wish the Artorias DLC was on sale, already got Souls in the last sales listing for it.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Cleared another game off my backlog. Shadows of the Damned. Leaving nearly three years between chapter 3 and 4 made it quite fun to complete.

Next I'm going for lollipop chainsaw or Xcom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Houdini posted:

Cleared another game off my backlog. Shadows of the Damned. Leaving nearly three years between chapter 3 and 4 made it quite fun to complete.

Next I'm going for lollipop chainsaw or Xcom.

Shadows of the Damned is three loving years old? Jesus.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I loved 'em both, but I'd say go with Lollipop first. It's way shorter.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

ZeeBoi posted:

If a credit card was used for a currently active subscription you can't turn off auto renew, I think.

Na, you can turn off auto renew, it's if a credit card was used to purchase gold you cannot remove it and auto renew is enabled by default. So you have to turn off auto renew before you can remove the card.

The option should be there on the subscriptions page, although from memory it might be buried in there. Pretty sure everyone can remove it now (it used to be only regions with the relevant consumer protection laws) so if you cannot see the option you're probably on the wrong page.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
My 360 started recently making this weird grinding noise when I turn it on and it does for like 1 or 2 after starting up and is the completely fine for the rest of the time. I think it's the disk drive going, does anybody have opinions on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Wow, they really did totally gently caress up the physics in Tony Hawk HD. The wall rides are almost unusable, which is making school nearly impossible to 100%. Dammit.

• Locked thread