Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

In It For The Tank posted:

There's more evidence than just the mummer's dragon prophecy. And even if Aegon isn't fake (big if), he's still going to fight Dany and he's still going to die horribly regardless.

I have this theory that, if he is real, he is gonna be one of Danny's husbands (the other one will be Jon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have this theory that, if he is real, he is gonna be one of Danny's husbands (the other one will be Jon)

Did the Targaryeans do that though? I thought it was always multiple sisters to one brother, not the other way around.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Doltos posted:

Did the Targaryeans do that though? I thought it was always multiple sisters to one brother, not the other way around.

Yeah, but his time is the female one that owns the dragons.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Happy Hippo posted:

There's a theory that Varys was killed and replaced by a Faceless Man a long time ago and that he is politically destabilizing Westeros in order to weaken it for the coming invasion by the Others. That would explain all of your concerns if it were true. My point is that the tale is not fully told yet and if something doesn't make sense, don't worry about it. There's another 3000 or so pages of the novels we have yet to read.

This is the first I've heard of such a theory, and...I like it. Being able to place Faceless Men across Westeros and the world would also go a long, long way to explain Varys's epic network of informants. I guess my only question is when and how Varys would have died or been killed without anybody noticing. He's too involved in King's Landing for it to have happened on a visit to Illyrio, for instance.

Varys Blackfyre is cleaner and simpler and explains everything (why does he behave irrationally with respect to his goals? crazy Targ blood!). I'm torn between whether that makes it more likely, or drat-near-impossible given GRRM's knack for confounding expectations.

Jedit posted:

Though the question must be asked: why did Margaery need the moon tea if she wasn't doing some of the things Cersei accused her of?

I know the series is rife with subtext, but I thought Margery actually needed the Moon Tea because she was actually having sexytimes. I can't recall specifics, but there seems to be a more liberal view of sexuality in the Reach. Hell, look at Loras. It's also the kingdom with the closest proximity to Dorne, and we know full well that the Dornish don't give two shits about sex out of wedlock.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jedit posted:

Though the question must be asked: why did Margaery need the moon tea if she wasn't doing some of the things Cersei accused her of?
Occam's Razor has always lead me to wonder what moon tea tastes like. Maybe she just likes it?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I though she was getting it for her handmaidens, if they asked for it everyone would a) thing that they where slutty sluts and b) getting it for The Queen. Who'd believe that the Queen would ask for herself? (Everyone apparently)

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Occam's Razor has always lead me to wonder what moon tea tastes like. Maybe she just likes it?

So it's like Westerosi purple drank?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Between Cersei, Marg, Dany, and the Dorne Sisters, apparently every ruling woman is a total woman who enjoys the same pleasures as men and shouldn't be judged for it.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 25, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

notaspy posted:

I though she was getting it for her handmaidens, if they asked for it everyone would a) thing that they where slutty sluts and b) getting it for The Queen. Who'd believe that the Queen would ask for herself? (Everyone apparently)

This...doesn't...head explodes

Doltos posted:

Between Cersei, Marg, Dany, and the Dorne Sisters, apparently every ruling woman is a total slut.

Holy poo poo. :frogout:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lol shut up. Don't even try to act like GRRM doesn't include something sexual with all of them in every book.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Doltos posted:

Lol shut up. Don't even try to act like GRRM doesn't include something sexual with all of them in every book.

His unspoken point was that believing that a woman is a slut because they enjoy sex makes you a shithead.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Doltos posted:

For all her goony mooning, Dany only has two notches on her belt--one of them being her husband.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Oh, Doltos, how many times do I have to hold your hand and walk you through this?

In a time when women were systematically oppressed, and viewed as "less than", it shows cunning -- not sluttiness -- to use the one power that have over men to their advantage. You really think Cersei loving the ogre Kettleblack?

Also, just humor me. Define the word "Slut".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Irish Joe posted:

For all her goony mooning, Dany only has two notches on her belt--one of them being her husband.

Women don't count? Because she's bisexual.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

dany didn't take a vow of celibacy after the death of her husband and has had sex with two whole people in the 2-3 years since and that's simply too slutty for me imo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Daius posted:

His unspoken point was that believing that a woman is a slut because they enjoy sex makes you a shithead.

Honestly it was a joke post but if people are getting that offended of the word slut I'll change it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Doltos posted:

Honestly it was a joke post but if people are getting that offended of the word slut I'll change it.

People aren't offended. People just think it was stupid, and definitely didn't recognize it as a joke.

Here's a little lesson in joke-writing 101: Don't attack the loving victim.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jedit posted:

Women don't count? Because she's bisexual.

Is she, though? I thought that was mostly instructional and/or nonreciprocal.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

escape artist posted:

People aren't offended. People just think it was stupid, and definitely didn't recognize it as a joke.

I disagree. Many of the best jokes out there attack victims because you don't expect it. Comedy is about triggering the absurd reflex in peoples' brains, and sticking to a predictable routine makes the audience accept the joke as normal and reject it because of that.

What I was trying to get across is GRRM has most of his plot points revolve around sex and fighting. Not a knock of course since those are the basest of human elements.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ShaqDiesel posted:

So it's like Westerosi purple drank?
I was thinking more like herbal tea, but... sure?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

totally unrelated but back before I had watched much of the show or read any of the books I referred to daenerys as "dany" and my friends (who had seen the whole show) gave me this weird look and proceeded to refer to her as "khaleesi." this upsets me to this day

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

now I've read all the books and people keep rolling their eyes and sighing when I talk to them

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

escape artist posted:

Do you have any more good tips like this, I'm taking notes for my improv class

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Lovechop posted:

Do you have any more good tips like this, I'm taking notes for my improv class

Yeah. Don't waste your money on ANY comedy classes, especially the lowest form of comedy: improv.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

escape artist posted:

Yeah. Don't waste your money on ANY comedy classes, especially the lowest form of comedy: improv.

*frantically scribbling in notebook*

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I love hearing people at work talk about how they can't wait for Dany's dragons to come torch everyone in Westeros this season. How adorable.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

I know the series is rife with subtext, but I thought Margery actually needed the Moon Tea because she was actually having sexytimes. I can't recall specifics, but there seems to be a more liberal view of sexuality in the Reach.

I didn't get this impression concretely from the books, but show clearly pushes it. See the scene with and Margery talking frankly to Sansa about sex.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

romanowski posted:

now I've read all the books and people keep rolling their eyes and sighing when I talk to them

Proceed to spoil them when they do this and when they get offended, smugly smirk and say "Wild Cards, bitch."

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lovechop posted:

*frantically scribbling in notebook*

That's cute, like actors ever write actual words down in those notebooks

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I was thinking more like herbal tea, but... sure?

I'm just saying moon tea's pretty powerful to drink strictly for the taste. An abortion in a cup basically.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ShaqDiesel posted:

I'm just saying moon tea's pretty powerful to drink strictly for the taste. An abortion in a cup basically.

Delicious, delicious abortion juice, can't get enough :guinness:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ShaqDiesel posted:

Silphium was used in antiquity as both a spice and birth control...

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Some promotional posters and a short teaser just got put up on EW: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/25/game-of-thrones-season-4-posters/

I guess "Valar Morghulis" is the advertising slogan for this season.

This would be a pretty hilarious spoiler if not for the fact that they did one for Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion as well.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

Some promotional posters and a short teaser just got put up on EW: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/25/game-of-thrones-season-4-posters/

I guess "Valar Morghulis" is the advertising slogan for this season.

This would be a pretty hilarious spoiler if not for the fact that they did one for Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion as well.

It still kind of is. If they only make them for the Lannisters it kind of telegraphs that they're getting hit hard this season. The only one that doesn't fall significantly from grace is Jaime, mostly because he already did that last season.

e: I guess Cersei's won't actually happen until AFFC. Still, the Lannisters in general will lose a lot of stock this season.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There's also a set for House Stark. I'm sure one for Dany's crew will be forthcoming.

Posters look a lot better than the horrendous blue-shadow photoshops from last season.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

What, none for Rickon? Y'all gonna look foolish when he ends up Lord of Winterfell at the end of the series, HBO.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Right after the Red Wedding is the perfect time to play up the "All Men Must Die" angle.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Ballz posted:

There's also a set for House Stark. I'm sure one for Dany's crew will be forthcoming.
Littlefinger's voice :sigh:

Also that grid thing that appears behind Sansa in a bunch of the released shots is still weirding me out. At first I thought it was unfinished VFX but I find it hard to believe that they would keep including it in all of these shots if that were the case.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's pretty cheeky of them, hide spoilers in plain sight.

With Jaime being in KL before Joff's death, I doubt there will be some loving on top of Joffs corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

twistedmentat posted:

That's pretty cheeky of them, hide spoilers in plain sight.

With Jaime being in KL before Joff's death, I doubt there will be some loving on top of Joffs corpse.

No I think that might still happen. For the first two episodes Cersei will be grossed out by Jaime's missing hand and will keep him at arm's length, then Joffrey's death will reconcile them. There's a shot of them making out in a dark room in the trailer which I assume is Joffrey's wake.

• Locked thread