Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

A huge loss for transphobia

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO – referendum to overturn a California law that gives transgender students protections including the right to use the public school restrooms of their choice will not appear on the November ballot after its backers failed to gather enough voter signatures to qualify the measure, the secretary of state said Monday.

The law's opponents were led by a coalition of religious conservative groups who said it violates the privacy of youngsters who may be uncomfortable sharing facilities with classmates of the opposite biological sex. They needed at least 504,760 signatures to force a public vote on the statute approved by the California Legislature and signed by Gov. Jerry Brown last year. They submitted 619,381, but county election officers found just 487,484 of them to be valid.

If the referendum had made the ballot, the law would have been put on hold until after the election as its supporters and opponents mounted a campaign that promised to be as bitterly fought as the one over Proposition 8, the 2008 constitutional amendment that banned same-sex marriage in California until last year.

Kevin Snider, a lawyer with the Pacific Justice Institute who represents the Privacy for All Students coalition, said he and other conservative attorneys plan to challenge the secretary of state's determination by reviewing the invalidated signatures and going to court to try to get them added to the final tally.

"The secretary of state has had the inclination to disenfranchise voters, and we won't sit still and take their word for it," Snider said before the final count was announced.

The law that is the subject of the repeal attempt took effect Jan. 1. It guarantees students in grades K-12 the right to use the school facilities and to participate in the sex-segregated activities that correspond with their expressed genders instead of their school records.

Some school districts around California, as well as the education departments in Massachusetts and Connecticut, have implemented similar policies by regulation. But California is the first state to detail the rights of transgender students in schools by statute.

Although the law's opponents have focused on potential abuses and awkward encounters in bathrooms and locker rooms, schools also evaluated what it means for yearbook photo dress codes, sleeping arrangements for overnight field trips, and activities such as choirs and recreational sports where girls and boys are often separated.

The California Interscholastic Federation, which governs competitive high school sports, adopted a detailed process in 2012 that students must follow if they want to play on a team that is not consistent with their gender at birth.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...itics+-+Text%29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Stupid question to address the arguments of opponents: if some cismale kid is being a dumbass and says, "Hurr, I want to hang out in the girls locker room because I feel like a girl!" does a principal basically say, "No, you don't actually identify as transgender and you're just being a little poo poo!"?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

staticman posted:

The Indiana House approved a bill that would legalize anti-gay employment discrimination by state contractors.

The bill was introduced by Rep. Eric Turner.

Bosma actually sent the bill back to committee, essentially killing the amendment that would allow religious institutions to discriminate based on religion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Macaroni posted:

Stupid question to address the arguments of opponents: if some cismale kid is being a dumbass and says, "Hurr, I want to hang out in the girls locker room because I feel like a girl!" does a principal basically say, "No, you don't actually identify as transgender and you're just being a little poo poo!"?

Pretty sure they inform the kid that if they want to do that they have to be willing to show up to school as a girl for the remainder of their time there and all that.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

quote:

They submitted 619,381, but county election officers found just 487,484 of them to be valid.

So did someone just sit down and write out over a hundred thousand fake names? I wonder how many dead people signed up!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pfirti86 posted:

So did someone just sit down and write out over a hundred thousand fake names? I wonder how many dead people signed up!

Personally, I blame ACORN.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Pfirti86 posted:

More likely, a lot of people signed twice. It's a natural consequence of passing a petition around heavily in small communities - people forget they signed the first time. I'd expect there would also be some "crisis pregnancy center effect" going on, too: "this is really really important so God says it's OK to lie!"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pfirti86 posted:

It is actually a fairly common problem when gathering petitions. In any case where signatures need to be gathered (might be for ballot initiatives or referendum, to start a re-call process for a law or candidate, or to get a candidate's name on a ballot in a primary or general election), those who take their job seriously typically gather 2-3x the amount required because they know going in so many will be disqualified. If you have to gather depending on Congressional district, for example, people's addresses might not match up or whatever. Some signatures might be deemed ineligible. Some maybe signed twice.

Other times, politics is involved as well, usually involving third/minor/independent candidates getting ballot access but sometimes machine politics as well if it is a one party rule city/county/state.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The Macaroni posted:

If you have to address an argument with stupid hypothetical questions then it's a stupid argument. Hope that helps.

Find one example of that actually happening.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CNN is thinking a veto for AZ's newest flavor of terrible.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/25/politics/brewer-arizona-religious-freedom/index.html

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SLOSifl posted:

If you have to address an argument with stupid hypothetical questions then it's a stupid argument. Hope that helps.

It's not really helpful to immediately attack people who are genuinely curious about something, and if you just dismiss conservative arguments with "that's stupid" they're going to think you're stupid because that's such a cop out response.

I disagree with your assertion that hypotheticals aren't useful either, pretty much every argument out there against the "religious freedom" bills out there right now involve hypotheticals that probably wouldn't actually happen but potentially could if the law were passed.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

MaxxBot posted:

It's not really helpful to immediately attack people who are genuinely curious about something, and if you just dismiss conservative arguments with "that's stupid" they're going to think you're stupid because that's such a cop out response.

I disagree with your assertion that hypotheticals aren't useful either, pretty much every argument out there against the "religious freedom" bills out there right now involve hypotheticals that probably wouldn't actually happen but potentially could if the law were passed.

I agree that dismissing the hypothetical out of hand is unhelpful (as usual, I agree with Fishmech here), but I'm a little baffled by your comment about the 'religious freedom bills'. Are you suggesting that they most likely wouldn't be used to deny service to gays?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

PleasingFungus posted:

I agree that dismissing the hypothetical out of hand is unhelpful (as usual, I agree with Fishmech here), but I'm a little baffled by your comment about the 'religious freedom bills'. Are you suggesting that they most likely wouldn't be used to deny service to gays?

They would probably embolden already anti-gay people to discriminate but if they had two brain cells to rub together they would continue legally discriminating against gays in a discreet manner as they have been doing all these years due to the fact that none of these states have an ENDA law.

I was thinking more along the lines of how people have used ridiculous hypotheticals about what people could claim as "religious freedom" under this law. In reality these hypotheticals won't happen because other than some crazy rogue judge you're not going to have judges for example allowing people to beat their kids under "religious freedom." The hypotheticals are useful because they are trying to highlight how these bills are a smokescreen to promote discrimination against gays. When these people are asked to define the limits of religious freedom or to provide examples of legitimate expression of religious freedom that these bills protect they choke up because this isn't all about "religious freedom" in the abstract but really all about gays.

The hypotheticals are useful to point out badly written, overbroad laws that invite abuse even if in reality such abuses probably would rarely occur because the judicial system would have the burden of mitigating the harm of this clusterfuck of a law.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Michigan's case starts tomorrow.

Waiting with bated breath.

This article has a live update stream from the reporter at the courthouse.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nth Doctor posted:

This article has a live update stream from the reporter at the courthouse.

Nothing quite like a red sign screaming "traditional marriage" to make you look like an rear end in a top hat. Although I can't be mad at the person with the "I peacefully support biblical marriage" sign, it sounds like something I would see on my 90 year old grandmother's refrigerator.

Thanks for the link, I will be following with bated breath. Just maybe we'll get some sense in this stupid state

E. The judge seems pretty at ease for such a big case

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 25, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I believe it will get vetoed, Brewer may be ultra conservative but when you have GOP establishment coming out against it I feel somewhat hopeful.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

MaxxBot posted:

How is it possible to answer a question like that? If non-discrimination laws are passed, then this hypothetical principal will have to make a decision.

What if that decision is to just open up all locker rooms and bathrooms to all students, because it's no longer possible to stop kids from doing whatever they want? Or maybe she will force the kid to dress like a girl and go by a girl's name.

The principal could also talk to the kid, or the parents, or both. Perhaps the guidance counselor could do that instead. Maybe the kid is actually seeking attention by acting out some deeper feelings about his own gender identity.

Coming up with unlikely situations that detract from the actual people the law is supposed to help isn't very productive. Instead of asking about how to handle some horny kid who tries to get into the wrong locker room, how about asking how a teenager with gender identity problems is treated now?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I believe it will get vetoed, Brewer may be ultra conservative but when you have GOP establishment coming out against it I feel somewhat hopeful.

Even some of the state senators who voted 'yes' on it are now backing off. Both McCain and Flake have said she should veto it. I think, among other things, they're starting to worry about AZ losing the Super Bowl next year (which would be a repeat for the state. AZ lost one in the 90s shortly after the state voted 'no' on a referendum to recognize MLK Jr Day).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SLOSifl posted:

Coming up with unlikely situations that detract from the actual people the law is supposed to help isn't very productive. Instead of asking about how to handle some horny kid who tries to get into the wrong locker room, how about asking how a teenager with gender identity problems is treated now?

Well that law is actually law right now, the petition was for an attempt to remove that law. Under the provisions of the law in place, the school administration is to determine if the kid in question is willing to stick to living as another gender at school all the time, which would tend to include things like "you can't just say you are, wait 3 days to peek in the girl's lockers, and then say you changed your mind and go back to being treated as a dude".

So to the question the person was actually asking, we're talking about a kid being willing to go to school and be treated as the opposite gender from what they really identify as, for at least the rest of the semester if not the rest of the school year at minimum, all for the sake of being able to sneak a peek into a locker room once. I'd say someone willing to go through with all that is either really dedicated, really stupid, or actually had some kind of gender issues they need to work through.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Chadderbox posted:

Even some of the state senators who voted 'yes' on it are now backing off. Both McCain and Flake have said she should veto it. I think, among other things, they're starting to worry about AZ losing the Super Bowl next year (which would be a repeat for the state. AZ lost one in the 90s shortly after the state voted 'no' on a referendum to recognize MLK Jr Day).

Anyone unfamiliar with this should familiarize themselves with Evan Mecham, the guy was essentially a freeper as governor. He hated gays even more than he hated blacks and ironically enough a gay man ended up being partly responsible for getting his rear end booted out of office.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Anyone unfamiliar with this should familiarize themselves with Evan Mecham, the guy was essentially a freeper as governor. He hated gays even more than he hated blacks and ironically enough a gay man ended up being partly responsible for getting his rear end booted out of office.

He's the subject of the Public Enemy song "By the time I get to Arizona", is he not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFOb_f7ubw

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MaxxBot posted:

Evan Mecham was somehow, in Arizona's illustrious history of terrible politics, the single worst government official we've ever had, and it's not even loving close.

FuzzySkinner posted:

He's the subject of the Public Enemy song "By the time I get to Arizona", is he not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFOb_f7ubw
Yeah.

Also, Mecham wasn't responsible directly for Arizona losing the Super Bowl. Arizona voters were responsible for it, defeating a ballot initiative to recognize the holiday. What the gently caress, Arizona.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 25, 2014

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
A Ugandan paper post the names of 200 alleged "homos". Again.

quote:

The Red Pepper tabloid published the names — and some pictures — of alleged homosexuals in a front-page story under the headline: "EXPOSED!" The list included prominent Ugandan gay activists such as Pepe Julian Onziema, who has repeatedly warned that Uganda's new anti-gay law could spark violence against homosexuals. A popular Ugandan hip-hop star as well as a Catholic priest are also on the list. Few Ugandans identify themselves publicly as gay, and the tabloid's publication of alleged homosexuals recalled a similar list published in 2011 by a now-defunct tabloid that called for the execution of gays. A Ugandan judge later condemned the outing of homosexuals in a country where gays face severe discrimination, saying it amounted to an invasion of privacy. A prominent Ugandan gay activist, David Kato, was killed after that list came out, and activists said at the time that they believed he was targeted because of his work promoting gay rights in Uganda. "The media witch hunt is back," tweeted Jacqueline Kasha, a well-known Ugandan lesbian activist who is among those listed in the Red Pepper story.

Last time this happened, David Kato was one of the names on the list, and was murdered shortly after. Literally EVERYONE knows how this is going to end. :smithicide:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

A Ugandan newspaper published a list Tuesday of what it called the country's "200 top" homosexuals

"Hey, I made the list for the country's Top 200 Homosexuals... that's good right?" :ohdear:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Sexiest 200 Men we Want Dead as voted by People

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
But where am I going to find 200 bottoms?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PleasingFungus posted:

But where am I going to find 200 bottoms?

Hanging from trees most likely. :smith:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Nothing quite like a red sign screaming "traditional marriage" to make you look like an rear end in a top hat. Although I can't be mad at the person with the "I peacefully support biblical marriage" sign, it sounds like something I would see on my 90 year old grandmother's refrigerator.

A little off topic, but Marriage Equality (aka gay / same-sex marriage) and to a lesser extent Marijuana prohibition (Aka legalisation/decriminalisation/etc) has really made me look at how powerful words can be in discourse on these issues.

Ten years ago we all said "Support gay/lesbian marriage" or "Support the right for gays to marry" - then it changed to "Same-Sex" Marriage - a bit less cumbersome, and not as 'othering' as saying "Gay" Marriage ("SAME" evoking that it's not that foreign).

Then Marriage-Equality came around, and it's just so... it's the perfect phrase for it. Who is against equality? Why do any groups need to be othered? It naturalises the whole thing down so it's really only the true bigots opposing it.

I don't know if this is a bit rambling and I might be overthinking it but I think phrasing and words can be really important in these battles and it's great to see discourse being controlled for good for once.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I had not known something was going down in FL

quote:

MIAMI, Florida – On behalf of a diverse coalition of citizen groups crossing racial, political, and religious lines, Liberty Counsel today filed a Motion to Intervene in Pareto v. Ruvin, the lawsuit initiated by homosexual activists seeking to declare Florida’s marriage laws unconstitutional.

In 2008, 62 percent of Floridians voted to pass Amendment 2, amending their state constitution to reaffirm marriage as the union of one man and one woman. Mathew and Anita Staver, Liberty Counsel’s Chairman and President, respectively, drafted Amendment 2 and successfully defended it against pre-election legal challenges, ultimately winning unanimous approval (7-0) by the Florida Supreme Court. Amendment 2 was the first constitutional amendment to clear the heightened 60% threshold for voter approval, thanks to the largest grassroots effort on any ballot issue in Florida’s history.

Having lost in the marketplace of ideas and having failed to convince the public to adopt their radical version of "marriage," homosexual activists, led by the National Center for Lesbian Rights and Equality Florida, have now filed suit, asking Miami judge Sarah Zabel to throw out the votes of 8 million Floridians and to judicially impose homosexual marriage upon all Floridians.

Liberty Counsel represents three umbrella civil rights organizations which are seeking to intervene to protect both marriage and the voting rights of all Floridians. FLORIDA FAMILY ACTION is a cultural action organization with thousands of members across the state, devoted to preserving and protecting the institution of marriage. PEOPLE UNITED TO LEAD THE STRUGGLE FOR EQUALITY is a civil rights umbrella organization consisting of 35 civic groups and representing thousands of African-Americans and other minorities. FLORIDA DEMOCRATIC LEAGUE is one of the leading Hispanic-led human rights organizations in Florida, with thousands of members throughout the state, all of which are registered Democrats. Each of these organizations was instrumental to the passage of Amendment 2, and all are uniting to defend natural, man-woman marriage and the right of every Floridian to have his or her vote counted.

"Marriage is a foundational societal institution that transcends racial, political, and religious lines," said Mathew Staver, Founder and Chairman of Liberty Counsel. "This lawsuit threatens to disenfranchise millions of Floridians who voted to affirm natural marriage and to supplant the clearly expressed will of a supermajority of Florida’s voters with the radical vision of homosexual activists who cannot win at the ballot box," added Horatio Mihet, Liberty Counsel’s Senior Litigation Counsel. "We are committed to provide a vigorous defense for marriage and voting rights," concluded both.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I had not known something was going down in FL

They, uh, they read Hollingsworth, right? Or... Oh, this is state court, isn't it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

teacup posted:

I don't know if this is a bit rambling and I might be overthinking it but I think phrasing and words can be really important in these battles and it's great to see discourse being controlled for good for once.

Words have power, that's just how the language works. There's connotations layered into every grammar and word choice, which is why English is such a complex language.

You are right, the inclusion of "equality" in the phrasing does give more stability to the movement, mostly because "gay-lesbian marriage" implies that the only people that would benefit from the passage of the bill would be gays and lesbians rather than the entire population. It makes it sound like a selfish bill that would only help a small portion of the population. "Equality", though, poo poo. Everyone likes equality. Unless you're Republican.

Even the name that you apply to any of these trials makes a difference. Is it a trial to overturn a ban? Is it a trial for same-sex marriage? Is it a "human rights trial"? This stuff makes differences.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

MaxxBot posted:

When these people are asked to define the limits of religious freedom or to provide examples of legitimate expression of religious freedom that these bills protect they choke up because this isn't all about "religious freedom" in the abstract but really all about gays.

News from Georgia! One of the State Senators involved in our own version of the "turn away the gay" bill has tried to claim that he's really just trying to protect religious freedoms like Sikhs being allowed to work food service while wearing a turban. Which is a thing that can already be done, even if they have to put a plastic shower cap over it (which they don't always have to do, depending!). He's trying to claim that the current lack of "liberty to discriminate" cases, as someone else put it, under the Federal RFRA means that the bill can't and won't be used to protect businesses who discriminate against people. He's a lying sack of poo poo, in other words. He also keeps claiming that the Georgia bills are equal to the Federal RFRA, without even understanding what the major difference is (specifically, that the RFRA was about protection of religious expression, not about a business turning away customers because of the owners' religious views). He further claims that there's a "smear campaign" against him, after literally saying that the only people who oppose the bill are people trying to use the government as a tool to push militant atheism. Who's smearing whom?

Between him and our shithead Governor Nathan "sell the school systems" Deal, I really hope my family and I can find a way to get out of this state.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
If Brewer vetoes the bill, what are the chances of it being overridden? Do Republicans have a supermajority there?

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

katium posted:

If Brewer vetoes the bill, what are the chances of it being overridden? Do Republicans have a supermajority there?

Unlikely as the current partisan breakdown of the Arizona legislature is:

quote:

Senate: 17 Republicans, 13 Democrats
House of Representatives: 36 Republicans, 24 Democrats
so they'd need every Republican plus a few Democrats in both chambers to override.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

katium posted:

A bunch of the state senators who voted for it have been calling for Brewer to veto it, so it's not going to survive an override vote.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

If Brewer does nothing at all, the bill becomes law, correct? How much time does she have to act?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ballz posted:

If Brewer does nothing at all, the bill becomes law, correct? How much time does she have to act?

5 days to:
Sign into law
Not do anything (becomes law anyways)
Veto it.

e: she has until Saturday to make the decision one way or the other.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

SLOSifl posted:

It is a stupid argument, but it's the one that people opposed to the California trans rights bill usually trot out. Thanks for your great reply! That's exactly the kind of response that makes potentially sympathetic allies get turned off to supporters of issues like this. :cool:

Install Windows posted:

Well that law is actually law right now, the petition was for an attempt to remove that law. Under the provisions of the law in place, the school administration is to determine if the kid in question is willing to stick to living as another gender at school all the time, which would tend to include things like "you can't just say you are, wait 3 days to peek in the girl's lockers, and then say you changed your mind and go back to being treated as a dude".

So to the question the person was actually asking, we're talking about a kid being willing to go to school and be treated as the opposite gender from what they really identify as, for at least the rest of the semester if not the rest of the school year at minimum, all for the sake of being able to sneak a peek into a locker room once. I'd say someone willing to go through with all that is either really dedicated, really stupid, or actually had some kind of gender issues they need to work through.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I was on a phone and wasn't able to easily get the text of the bill.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Minority Deport posted:

A bunch of the state senators who voted for it have been calling for Brewer to veto it, so it's not going to survive an override vote.
Which is stunning, since I can't imagine they didn't realize the backlash would be tremendous. Arizona, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

The Macaroni posted:

It is a stupid argument, but it's the one that people opposed to the California trans rights bill usually trot out. Thanks for your great reply! That's exactly the kind of response that makes potentially sympathetic allies get turned off to supporters of issues like this. :cool:

It's what the internet LGBT community does best!

• Locked thread