Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
After driving a Cobra Kit car I have come to the conclusion this thing will need the fastest steering you can fit to it, and power steering.

And oh boy are they FUN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Coredump posted:

Holy poo poo, its Bum the Sad.
Old and crusty now :(

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Kaptainballistik posted:

After driving a Cobra Kit car I have come to the conclusion this thing will need the fastest steering you can fit to it, and power steering.

And oh boy are they FUN!

Sorry for the de-rail but i have seen the car in your av before.... redwarf from rollaclub? silly 2tg rally thing irc?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I wonder if you will get kicked out of your condo or die in a firey crash first.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I thought of you while watching top gear tonight.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

jamal posted:

I thought of you while watching top gear tonight.

Yeah. I was trying to keep in mind his car would be almost twice as powerful.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When it's done, call up the BBC and offer to let Top Gear borrow it. :v:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That would make for one Hell of an episode. Do it do it do it!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Don't let the bafoons in the USA take it though, tanner will drift it into a guardrail thinking he's cool enough to handle such a beast

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 26, 2014

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

tater_salad posted:

Don't let the bafoons in the USA take it though, tanner will drift it into a guardrail thinking he's cool enough to handle such a beast

I'm sorry, but you seem to think that there's any Top Gear aside from the one with Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May, and The Stig. You're sadly mistaken there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The other Top Gear features Finnegan and Freiburger, sorry.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

I'm sorry, but you seem to think that there's any Top Gear aside from the one with Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May, and The Stig. You're sadly mistaken there.

this is the correct mindset.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Give it to them for a bit, or even Regular Cars. I want to see how he'd react to a car that is actively trying to kill him.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Give it to them for a bit, or even Regular Cars. I want to see how he'd react to a car that is actively trying to kill him.

Have you seen the poo poo they drive on Roadkill? I'm pretty sure it already fits the bill :haw:

(also, "you're gonna get gonoherpesyphilaids")

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Have you seen the poo poo they drive on Roadkill? I'm pretty sure it already fits the bill :haw:

(also, "you're gonna get gonoherpesyphilaids")

I meant Regular Cars, I do realize that everything Roadkill builds is a glorious deathtrap!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

If they got rid of the two guys that aren't Tanner and replaced them with Finnegan and Freiburger, I would no poo poo get a TV subscription again.

Hell if they just got rid of that irritating loving guido-douche I would be more inclined to watch it.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

If they got rid of the two guys that aren't Tanner and replaced them with Finnegan and Freiburger, I would no poo poo get a TV subscription again.

Hell if they just got rid of that irritating loving guido-douche I would be more inclined to watch it.

I think the fat guy with glasses whose name I can't remember would be a better fit with the Roadkill guys than Tanner. He seems unprofessional enough to fit in without going all the way into Adam Carolla territory.

Actually, replace all three TGUSA hosts with Finnegan/Freiburger/Dog and they might have something.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Between posts I usually assume he test-drove the car and promptly died in a horrible accident.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I wish top gear russia was still a thing.

I still want to see how ridiculous it gets

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

I wish top gear russia was still a thing.

I still want to see how ridiculous it gets

Open youtube, type in dash cam..
Top gear Russia will play.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hey Wilson! What'cha doing with this here death trap?

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

heh, that's me. i'm wilson.
Hey, sorry for the lack of updates, been a busy month for me.

This Saturday I am going out to assemble the suspension, so will have a proper update then. In the mean time, the lifters are installed in the engine, and the heads are ready to go on as soon as I get some time to do that.

I would absolutely have the road kill guys out to finish the car and drive it on the show, they are entertaining as hell. Might send them a mail once it is closer to the "put the engine in and go" stage, just to get a response.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Had a bit of help from JoeWagon assembling more of the engine this weekend. We put the head studs in, after cleaning up the head surface and the threads:

Then we bolted some heads on:

We put assembly lube on the pushrods, dropped them in, and then installed the rocker arms:

And this morning we installed the valley cover, valve covers, and set the intake manifold on for fun:

I seem to have misplaced my oil pump shims that shipped with my double chain timing set, which offset the oil pump to clear the wider chain. So I'm unable to continue installing things until I find replacements, as well as the cap for the oil galley you can see I've taped off in all those pictures.

Getting pretty close to an engine here, though!

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Today I got the spark plugs, fuel injectors and fuel rails installed:

Now I'm stalled for a few days while I wait for that oil galley cap, but once I get that I should be able to do most of the seals and covers for the engine, including the oil pan.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's starting to be a really good looking engine!

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Slightly derailing my own thread. I haven't been able to work on the engine too much this week because my daily driver 2012 Mustang GT broke. Pressure plate spring snapped, causing the clutch not to release. This is apparently my fault, and I've been fighting with both the dealership and Ford customer relations all week.

The pressure plate is specifically listed as a covered part in my warranty, so we'll see what the eventual outcome is. Right now the warranty claim is at Ford corporate for approval, but the dealership keeps claiming abuse despite that spring not being a wear item.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

WTF, how do they justify that? Pressure plate springs normally last like 20 years of normal use, that's a part defect.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

WTF, how do they justify that? Pressure plate springs normally last like 20 years of normal use, that's a part defect.

Probably the burn marks from the clutch... Yes, we sell a high-performance car and advertise it as being quick off the line. You need to drive it like a grandmother, though, or we void the warranty.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I don't see why the dealership would be trying to get out of warranty work though. Corporate doesn't bill enough hours?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Warranty pays the tech probably less than half-rate on that one.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

The Mustang is still at the dealership, Ford Corporate denied the warranty claim based on some dubious evidence, still fighting.

Got the oil galley plug for the LS engine in, it was indeed a different size to the one that came in my Comp Cams engine block plug kit. Not sure what is up with that, possibly I ended up with a Gen III part in the Comp package. That happened with the ARP head studs as well, and I ended up having to buy some Gen IV ones locally in a hurry(thanks to JoeWagon for helping me find those).

Now I'm dealing with the oil pump spacing to clear my double chain timing set. The timing set came with spacers, of course, but I seem to have accidentally thrown them away and can't find replacements for sale anywhere. I did cut some from sheet steel, but I'm concerned they are a little too thin and it just hurts me to think of doing that on such an otherwise high effort build. So I'm going to give Comp a call and see if they'll ship me out some replacements even though they don't list a part number.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Got a little bit more done on the engine this weekend. Oil pump is on, throttle body is temporarily on just to seal off the intake side a bit, baffle for the oil pan is in, along with the oil galley cap. Comp was kind enough to ship me out the oil pump spacers for free, so that was awesome of them.

The windage tray needs some modification to fit the aftermarket oil pickup, so I'll be getting to that as soon as I get a chance, and then the oil pan should be able to go on also.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got to imagine it's a lot easier to get that drat oil pickup O-ring on when the engine is on a stand. My dad swapped the cam on his '01 Z28 in-car and it took him three tries to get it on without pinching it.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

It is a bit of a pain due to the oil pump being spaced off the block by about 2mm to clear the double timing chain. I had to bend the oil pickup bracket a bit to get some more range out of it, and file the bolt hole a bit as well.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Broke the Mustang again yesterday, and recently moved to a different house(where at least I can work on things with the garage door open), so not a whole lot has been done with this project recently. The engine is mostly assembled, it only needs a front accessories, a crankshaft position sensor, and ignition coils and I should be able to start it up on a running stand.

More of a bump to keep this from the archives than a real update, sorry about that.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Revelations posted:

Broke the Mustang again yesterday, and recently moved to a different house(where at least I can work on things with the garage door open), so not a whole lot has been done with this project recently. The engine is mostly assembled, it only needs a front accessories, a crankshaft position sensor, and ignition coils and I should be able to start it up on a running stand.

More of a bump to keep this from the archives than a real update, sorry about that.

Prediction: The car you are building will be more reliable than your DD.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Isn't your Mustang basically brand new? What the hell are you doing to it?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Isn't your Mustang basically brand new? What the hell are you doing to it?

Honestly he drives the thing (ever so slightly) less aggressively than I drive my M3. It's just got American car syndrome (which means it's an unreliable POS no warranty can fix)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Das Volk posted:

Honestly he drives the thing (ever so slightly) less aggressively than I drive my M3. It's just got American car syndrome (which means it's an unreliable POS no warranty can fix)

Show us on the Forza model where the bad car touched you(r wallet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Every time I read about work on this insanity, I keep getting a mental image of Wilson toiling away on this thing in between being bullied by House. Its hilarious!

• Locked thread