Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

God that would be the absolute worst.

Is this one of those things the kids are doing these days, saying worst when they mean best? Because returning to Kanto would be amazing.

Especially if you could travel to Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh or Unova for your second set of badges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MrFlibble posted:

Is this one of those things the kids are doing these days, saying worst when they mean best? Because returning to Kanto would be amazing.

Especially if you could travel to Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh or Unova for your second set of badges.

Kanto's been featured for four generations in a row. Is it so surprising that some people are tired of it?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MrFlibble posted:

...Why? Who cares? All the Pokemon regions are the same, it makes no difference.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RyokoTK posted:

...Why? Who cares? All the Pokemon regions are the same, it makes no difference.

Nah, they're different. XY's region is surprisingly underwhelming. There's not nearly as much of a sense of exploration as some of the other regions, like Johto/Kanto or even Hoe...hn?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MrFlibble posted:

I've been to loving Kanto like 10 times now and honestly it was kind of boring the very first time. It was EXTRA SUPER DUPER BORING in gen 2 and 4 and it was the worst in Gen 3. Why the hell would you want to waste time going back there?

loving take me back to Hoenn, or bring Orre to the mainline games before returning to the blandest setting in the franchise.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
They could always add a lot of stuff to the region if they did something like Red 2 and Blue 2. It doesn't have to be bland.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

But Hoenn has the coolest towns.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Level Slide posted:

But Hoenn has the coolest towns.

And also a lot of water.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I posted a thread in SA Mart, but I just wanted to ask here just in case nobody posts there.

Does anyone have a Super Mario 3D Land that they want to sell? Preferably with the Club Nintendo code unused.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MrFlibble posted:

Unless "return to Kanto" strictly means "battle the old Gym Leaders but remixed" then gently caress Kanto, it already had its remake, we don't need a third one

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm on the fence with New Yoshi's Island. It sounds like they did the graining bullshit they pulled on the N64 game with Yoshi which scares the poo poo out of me but in motion the game doesn't look that bad

I grabbed a frame from the second-latest trailer off youtube to compare and it doesn't look as horrible as people make it out to be personally

Part of the art style has me wondering if it's like when Wind Waker came out and how Miyamoto always wanted a cartoon-like Zelda but the systems at the time were incapable of displaying such a thing. You can tell that in the SNES game there is a sense of crudeness to the drawing as if a 6 year old colored it in however with the lack of resolution there aren't that many pixels to convey such a style. I do however think the 3d models of the enemies/characters are butt-ugly and out of place.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spacebump posted:

They could always add a lot of stuff to the region if they did something like Red 2 and Blue 2. It doesn't have to be bland.

Gold and SIlver were direct sequels to Red and Blue.

Hoenn sucked, so much goddamn water. Every battle was a loving wingull. EVERY BATTLE

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
It's not the 3D models; it's the loving palette. My eye went right to that second screen because the colors compliment each other well and the border makes the game pop. The second screen just looks like some fairy-themed palette where everything blends together, especially Yoshi.

3D models can look amazing, and a Link Between World's can vouch for that. That palette is too light.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I will still defend Emerald as my favourite Pokémon title, for both featuring my favourite region (yes, Hoenn has a lot of water, but it also has underwater sections and the maze around pacifidlog town, which were interesting to me, and its pretty drat diverse otherwise), but also managing to actually combine and expand on the previous versions of its game, including a new area for the main game, shifting around plot elements, and just generally managing to make a genuine impression on me. Its one of the few games I regularly go back to, but I always find it fun when I do.

By contrast, much as I like Kanto, yeah, its been in four generations of the franchise, and the characters from it managed to sneak their way into Gen V too in the battle tournament for Black 2 and White 2. Unless they did a massively updated rerelease or something, like a console version of the game, it really doesn't need another appearance for quite a while. I decided to check this to be sure, but HeartGold and SoulSilver came out 2009 for Japan, 2010 for nations elsewhere. Only the really youngest fans of the franchise won't really have had a chance to go through Kanto in some fashion yet, so Nintendo would be fine to wait it out a bit until there's a clear gap of fans who have no idea of Kanto aside of maybe mentions in the anime, to then reveal it as a chance to connect the generation gap.

As to Yoshi's Island, I think what throws a lot of people is how... smudged, it looks? Like, playing Sonic Lost World, where its DLC is all nice and clean, the style is fairly charming, cute. But on the 3DS game proper, it just... doesn't sit right. I know, hardly the most constructive of critiques.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

So I'm planning on buying a 3DS of some fashion to get in on that free Pokemon game, and I noticed that the OP doesn't mention the 2DS at all. Is it so horrible that I should avoid it altogether and just get an XL? I don't need the 3d screen so I'm wondering if it's worth it to sacrifice the clamshell form factor to save $80

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Call me crazy, but I prefer the original 3DS over the XL v:shobon:v

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That new yoshi game could look great if it were on the Vita. Higher resolution and OLED would make it look amazing.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zonekeeper posted:

So I'm planning on buying a 3DS of some fashion to get in on that free Pokemon game, and I noticed that the OP doesn't mention the 2DS at all. Is it so horrible that I should avoid it altogether and just get an XL? I don't need the 3d screen so I'm wondering if it's worth it to sacrifice the clamshell form factor to save $80

I recently bought a 2DS for 70 euros (a bargain), and I think the thing is great; certainly at that price. The biggest thing I miss (owning also a DSi XL myself) is the bigger screen size of the XL, but personally I don't give a drat about the clamshell or the 3D screen so those are non-issues. Due to the exposed screens, getting a pouch is probably a good idea.

The 2DS looks pretty funny at first, but ergonomically it feels better than the more classic design; it's also easier to hold with one hand when you have games that demand constant use of stylus or whatever. At hardware level, the thing is a 3DS but without the 3D functionality. Other than that, everything runs exactly as on a 3DS.

I may end up getting the XL eventually but right now I'm really happy with my purchase.

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee

eightysixed posted:

Call me crazy, but I prefer the original 3DS over the XL v:shobon:v

The original 3DS definitely felt better when playing for extended amounts of time (well, not that you could with that terrible stock battery :argh:)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the 2ds also only has a mono speaker if that matters to you

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Nah, they're different. XY's region is surprisingly underwhelming. There's not nearly as much of a sense of exploration as some of the other regions, like Johto/Kanto or even Hoe...hn?

There's no sense of exploration, which is why we should go back to the region featured in a bunch of other games we've all played already. :v:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Is registering a 3DS for that promotion different from the process to create an account that lets you use the eShop? I'm trying to determine if my grilfriend's console is eligible for the pokemon promotion (if we buy a game from that list anyways).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
When it says the reward code for Pokemon X and Y expires on 5/31, can you redownload the game after that date? I am looking at buying my first Nintendo products in a few years just to play a new Pokemon game, so I have no idea how their digital distribution thing works.

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

Nighthand posted:

Is registering a 3DS for that promotion different from the process to create an account that lets you use the eShop? I'm trying to determine if my grilfriend's console is eligible for the pokemon promotion (if we buy a game from that list anyways).

It's different. You just need to make a Club Nintendo account and link it to the system.

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

JerryLee posted:

When it says the reward code for Pokemon X and Y expires on 5/31, can you redownload the game after that date? I am looking at buying my first Nintendo products in a few years just to play a new Pokemon game, so I have no idea how their digital distribution thing works.

It just saying the free game code itself will expire if you don't redeemed it in time. Once redeem, its yours to own. You should be able redownload again if you decide to delete it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yoshi's New Island looks like Yoshi's Story, and that's never a good sign.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I think X and Y's weaker sense of exploration can be explained with "you were sixteen years younger when Pokemon Red came out." Everything feels bigger and more amazing when you're six.

All the Pokemon regions really are more or less the same, except for Hoenn which is about 90% water and contains no Pokemon but Wingull and Pelipper.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

There's no sense of exploration, which is why we should go back to the region featured in a bunch of other games we've all played already. :v:

Nowhere did I say that, so good job with the reading comprehension. Hell, I was responding to someone saying all the regions are the same.

But you made a witty retort good job :golfclap:

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Silhouette posted:

Yoshi's New Island looks like Yoshi's Story, and that's never a good sign.

Exactly this. It's not a Yoshi's Island game. It should be called Yoshi's New Story.

I'm going on hunger strike until Nintendo change the name of this game

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

a_big_dog posted:

Exactly this. It's not a Yoshi's Island game. It should be called Yoshi's New Story.

I'm going on hunger strike until Nintendo change the name of this game

Except for the part where it features almost exactly the same gameplay as Yoshi's Island...? And none of the things from YS.

Yoshi's Story is a loving great game BTW.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I think X and Y's weaker sense of exploration can be explained with "you were sixteen years younger when Pokemon Red came out." Everything feels bigger and more amazing when you're six.

All the Pokemon regions really are more or less the same, except for Hoenn which is about 90% water and contains no Pokemon but Wingull and Pelipper.

I'm not sure what sense of exploration people are even talking about since generally the routes are pretty contained and linear. We're not talking Skyrim, here.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You go from Town A to Town B via routes. The points on the map are joined by literal lines that you must follow. In what way is there "exploration" in a Pokemon game?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
"Exploration" in Pokemon games usually means caves and labyrinthine dungeons that, while not really mapped out with giant arrows telling you where to go, aren't exactly anything more complicated that the kind of stuff you see in any other JRPG.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xik posted:

You go from Town A to Town B via routes. The points on the map are joined by literal lines that you must follow. In what way is there "exploration" in a Pokemon game?

Game Freak has gotten into the habit of putting human ghosts in the games and they're kind of fun easter eggs to find, like that one girl in Lumiose in XY. :shobon:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Are people making comparisons to Yoshi's Story as a negative? Because Yoshi's Story owns and has a great art style.

I don't think Yoshi's New Island looks as good as Yoshi's Story.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yoshi's Story is great if you don't try to get all the melons. Because gently caress THAT :shepicide:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Man OK this thread has really gone off the rails if people are coming out to defend loving Yoshi's Story. That game is trash even separated from the fact it's supposed to be a sequel to Yoshi's Island and it's like 5 minutes long. Which I guess is kind of a blessing seeing as everything about it is drop dead dull.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

absolutely anything posted:

Man OK this thread has really gone off the rails if people are coming out to defend loving Yoshi's Story. That game is trash even separated from the fact it's supposed to be a sequel to Yoshi's Island and it's like 5 minutes long. Which I guess is kind of a blessing seeing as everything about it is drop dead dull.

You have bad taste and you should feel bad.

I don't really get why people are comparing Yoshi's New Island to Yoshi's Story though, seeing as how it appears to play nothing like it and doesn't even really look all that similar.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yoshi's Story was alright, though it definitely pales in comparison to something like Yoshi's Island. Despite some neat ideas, graphical tricks, and game mechanics, no Yoshi game should use Story as a basis or standard of quality.

Or as an inspiration for its art style. Say what you will about it bastardizing Yoshi's Island's visuals, I'm getting Yoshi Story-ripoff vibes from this new game. It just looks...dammit, why does it have to use polygons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hoenn sucked, so much goddamn water. Every battle was a loving wingull. EVERY BATTLE
This is pure hyperbole. Well except for the water part. Can't argue that. Not every battle were loving wingull though.

I still sort of want Hoenn remakes, though if the water routes would be anything like the one purely water route in X/Y, that would be nearly unplayable. That poo poo was so zoomed in that it took me forever to find the one decent sized island on that route, and making half of Hoenn routes that experience would be god awful.

• Locked thread