Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sefer posted:

The only problem with this is I think some poor intern lost his job :( https://twitter.com/DanPatrick/status/438780372000595968

Holy poo poo the other tweets on that page. For prosperity:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm really happy right now :unsmith:

Like I knew it was coming and all but still, it's Texas so I figured we'd have some dinosaur out back that'd get this somehow and ruin it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sefer posted:

The only problem with this is I think some poor intern lost his job :( https://twitter.com/DanPatrick/status/438780372000595968

As much as it sucks to get fired over a typo, him being an intern to Patrick means he was more than likely a college republican or one that recently graduated so I'm not going to be loosing any sleep over it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

A Winner is Jew posted:

As much as it sucks to get fired over a typo, him being an intern to Patrick means he was more than likely a college republican or one that recently graduated so I'm not going to be loosing any sleep over it.

I agree, people should get fired because they play for the other "team."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Zero VGS posted:

Holy poo poo the other tweets on that page. For prosperity:

You mean posterity? :v:

I like the "do your own lovely tweeting" one. It's only 140 characters people, surely you have the 10 seconds it takes to hammer that out? Actually I think they do all their own tweeting but say interns/staffers do it so they have a nonexistent person to blame when they tweet something really lovely.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SubponticatePoster posted:

You mean posterity? :v:

I meant both :getin:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think schadenfreude is not one of humanity's better traits but of course the intern is going to get fired. Patrick is running for Lt. Gov. and the primary election is less than a week away and his social media intern just tweeted "MARRIAGE = ONE MAN & ONE MAN." There's no room for these kinds of screwups.

I'm gay and Texan and have to admit tearing up a bit earlier. It was inevitable this was going to happen, but you can't help feel a bit misty. Of course, it's still not legal and won't be until later this year when it overcomes appeal. The USSC decision was much more of the turning point and hit me harder.

What really gets me about the homophobia here is not the homophobia per se - homophobia is annoying but it's not new to me - it's when the right wingers in power tie it in with being a Texan. Sadly, this provokes an ugly "gently caress you Texas" backlash from liberals elsewhere who should know better.

They talk constantly about how awesome they are because they're from Texas and say being a true Texan means being a homophobe. THAT gets under my skin in a really visceral way. Texas has its own weird kind of national pride, something which is passe in a lot of other places (not all), but it still has relevance here and it cuts across political lines. To see it being abused like that makes me seethe. It'd be like if you were from Boston or New York and were proud of your city and the politicians were saying you weren't truly Bostonian unless you hate gay people (or you couldn't be a Bostonian if you were gay). It would make you angry. It's the equivalent to racist forms of nationalism and it's disgusting.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 27, 2014

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

What really gets me about the homophobia here is not the homophobia per se - homophobia is annoying but it's not new to me - it's when the right wingers in power tie it in with being a Texan. Sadly, this provokes an ugly "gently caress you Texas" backlash from liberals elsewhere who should know better.

New Mexican (Northern New Mexican) here. I have the sense that Texas is actually a blue state that got redistricted and redistricted until it was red. I feel like most of the people in my area who aren't idiots feel the same way. But I also feel like the nation is going to be pretty surprised when Texas turns blue again, because the last 20 years, Republicans have done a good job of convincing everybody that Texas has always been a Republican state marching arm in arm with, say, Georgia. To me that's a funny proposition, Texas doesn't march arm in arm with *anybody*, and *that* is true Texas.

I'd love to have you correct me, I don't live there :)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Omi-Polari posted:

They talk constantly about how awesome they are because they're from Texas...

Texans who talk like that annoy everybody who lives elsewhere, not just "liberals". When you guys finally get the equality though, we all give you permission to post peoples' reactions when the tables are turned and suddenly people can say "oh yeah Texas is so great because marriage equality Texas Texas TEXAS :smug:"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

cruft posted:

New Mexican (Northern New Mexican) here. I have the sense that Texas is actually a blue state that got redistricted and redistricted until it was red. I feel like most of the people in my area who aren't idiots feel the same way. But I also feel like the nation is going to be pretty surprised when Texas turns blue again, because the last 20 years, Republicans have done a good job of convincing everybody that Texas has always been a Republican state marching arm in arm with, say, Georgia. To me that's a funny proposition, Texas doesn't march arm in arm with *anybody*, and *that* is true Texas.

I'd love to have you correct me, I don't live there :)

As someone who was born and raised in Austin, and currently lives/resides in Lubbock, that's actually pretty accurate. Texans, especially in cities, are a lot more progressive than people give us credit for. However at the same time we've got massive tracts of land full of nothing but cattle and the occasional tiny, white as gently caress, and often racist towns that are hilariously over-represented due to gerrymandering.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

Mr. Nice! posted:

My catholic friend on Facebook weighing in:

The tears are flowing in Texas, alright.

What do these people think federal judges are supposed to do?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Xombie posted:

At least a few of them believe that Marbury v. Madison was an unconstitutional power grab by the judiciary.

Edit: actually quite a few of them do because I seem to remember Rush running his mouth about it after the Obamacare decision.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Xombie posted:

Reaffirm fugitive slave laws and that southern baptist is the official state religion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alkydere posted:

As someone who was born and raised in Austin, and currently lives/resides in Lubbock, that's actually pretty accurate. Texans, especially in cities, are a lot more progressive than people give us credit for. However at the same time we've got massive tracts of land full of nothing but cattle and the occasional tiny, white as gently caress, and often racist towns that are hilariously over-represented due to gerrymandering.

The towns are not overrepresented, it's the dumbass conservatives in the towns and the dumbass conservatives living in your "cities" that are 80% suburban sprawl that get overrepresented, and are a necessary tool for the gerrymanderers.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Brewer is speaking at 7:45 est

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Install Windows posted:

The towns are not overrepresented, it's the dumbass conservatives in the towns and the dumbass conservatives living in your "cities" that are 80% suburban sprawl that get overrepresented, and are a necessary tool for the gerrymanderers.

Fair enough. The suburban growth is indeed absurd, and white as gently caress.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Xombie posted:

Sentence minorities to hard time/death.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Xombie posted:

Nothing.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Brewer is speaking at 7:45 est

Everything is pointing towards her vetoing the bill. But then again, this is Brewer we're talking about, so who the gently caress knows.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Come on Brewer, pass the bill. Let me see delicious chaos.

Aw, man. She gave a drat good reason for vetoing, but I wanted chaos.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 27, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Vetoed!!!!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Brewer's selfish and insane but she's not stupid, there's no way she could have signed the bill without inviting waves of people comparing her to the governors in the 50's who defended segregation.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CNN has Ted Hagard on pro equality side and some guy from Family Researh Council

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick
I really wasn't sure what she was going to do with the bill. It would have been monumentally stupid to let it go into law, but the politicians in that state scare me more than possibly any other in the nation.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Republicans in Arizona totally hosed that one up so bad.

It turned their own business coalition against them. And it was so broadly worded you could even attack it from the right for effectively legalizing elements of Sharia law. You could have Muslim-owned businesses discriminate against non-Muslims for religious reasons - and this is endorsed by the Arizona Republican Party! What a bunch of idiots.

cruft posted:

I have the sense that Texas is actually a blue state that got redistricted and redistricted until it was red.
I think you're overstating it a bit. It's always been a conservative state but it's a little different. You're right it's not Georgia. It's a fusion culture between South, West and Mexico. Texas Republicans who go national trend to the left of the party on immigration, for instance.

Install Windows posted:

Alkydere posted:

Fair enough. The suburban growth is indeed absurd, and white as gently caress.
This is right. The urban cores are relatively small compared to the sprawl. I think it's inevitable Texas will become more competitive but I'm pessimistic about the projections.

I'd complicate it a bit.

This has been mixed up dramatically in recent years. Like in the past 10 years nearly two million Californians have moved to Texas. That's like the entire state of New Mexico up and moving.

Houston is as international and cosmopolitan as New York, or is close to it. But it doesn't "feel" cosmopolitan because everyone is in cars and most of the businesses are in strip malls. I have a friend who works for an environmental organization and it's quite something. You have cookie cutter suburbs but you go door-to-door canvassing and there's one family that speaks Serbo-Croatian, another Hindi, another Vietnamese and on and on. The mall I'd go to as a kid in lily-white suburban Dallas is still there, but you go today and the shoppers are heavily South Asian and Middle Eastern. It's a different world.

King of the Hill is actually a great show because it's a hilariously honest satire of old Texas colliding with the new one. It's this shift that's causing the state to gradually fade to a slighter shade of red.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Texans who talk like that annoy everybody who lives elsewhere, not just "liberals". When you guys finally get the equality though, we all give you permission to post peoples' reactions when the tables are turned and suddenly people can say "oh yeah Texas is so great because marriage equality Texas Texas TEXAS :smug:"
Well I'm talking about this really dumb reactionary stance. If you go to Twitter you'll see these airheads saying "YEAH gently caress YOU TEXAS #EQUALITY" and I'm like ... you realize this is equality for Texans right? But this is a backlash against generations of political leaders from the state barking about how they're proud dumbasses to the rest of the world.

Anyways let's talk about a worse state: Arizona!

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 27, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

CNN has Ted Hagard on pro equality side and some guy from Family Researh Council

Ted "Campaign Against Same Sex Marriage While I Do Crystal Meth Off A Gay Hooker's rear end" Haggard is going to lecture us on equality everyone! :allears:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Huh. As it turns out, there's a literal stamp.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Teddybear posted:

Huh. As it turns out, there's a literal stamp.

She should have dipped it in poo poo first.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

SubponticatePoster posted:

She should have dipped it in poo poo first.

I've genuinely always wondered if, when they veto it, there's just a big inkpad and a big stamp that says "NOPE" or something. If I, god forbid, ever get into any position where I have veto authority, I would get a giant stamp. Hell, I don't know how anyone with veto authority doesn't have a giant stamp, that seems like a temptation that's impossible to resist.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

KennyTheFish posted:

My understanding is if this goes to the Supreme court it will force a ruling on suspect / Quasi suspect classification. Is the outcome a sure thing (or as close as possible)?

Of the current SCOTUS staff, 5 of them have already implied heavily that they would legalize it nationwide if gay marriage came to them again in the future (they didn't feel like doing it in 2013 because still too early). With Texas now in the fray, it's pretty much inevitable.

And now I see Brewer vetoed the bill. What a great day!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Teddybear posted:

Hell, I don't know how anyone with veto authority doesn't have a giant stamp, that seems like a temptation that's impossible to resist.
And it has to make a big heavy "Ka-CHONK" sound.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sweeney Tom posted:

Of the current SCOTUS staff, 5 of them have already implied heavily that they would legalize it nationwide if gay marriage came to them again in the future (they didn't feel like doing it in 2013 because still too early). With Texas now in the fray, it's pretty much inevitable.

And now I see Brewer vetoed the bill. What a great day!

The punt last year was perceived to be an effort at percolating, getting more states to legalize it either through legislatures or through lower courts first. They didn't do a very good job at punting, because every lower court is citing their punt as precedent in overturning bans. Now that they've hit fifty percent of the population where it's legalized, they're probably on safer grounds for a broad ruling.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Teddybear posted:

I've genuinely always wondered if, when they veto it, there's just a big inkpad and a big stamp that says "NOPE" or something. If I, god forbid, ever get into any position where I have veto authority, I would get a giant stamp. Hell, I don't know how anyone with veto authority doesn't have a giant stamp, that seems like a temptation that's impossible to resist.

One thing I always liked about Brian Schweitzer's terms as governor of Montana was his public use of a giant "VETO" branding iron :allears:

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

On a scale of 1 to 10, how catastrophic is this veto to the right's entire narrative on gay marriage being about religious freedom and not discrimination? Brewer herself even implied the latter.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Cant find gay, arizona, or brewer searching on drudge report hahaha.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Zophar posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how catastrophic is this veto to the right's entire narrative on gay marriage being about religious freedom and not discrimination? Brewer herself even implied the latter.

They'll just declare Brewer an unconservative.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I used a more impressive stamp to endorse customer checks in the gas station I worked at in high school :ughh:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I agree, people should get fired because they play for the other "team."

The spoils system needs to make a comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The punt on the prop 8 case was 100% the correct move. There are long standing rules regarding standing for suit and appeal. To hear that case would turn quite a bit of that on it's head. The supreme court acted correctly by saying "you fucks have no standing to file an appeal GTFO." Had it been the actual state filing the appeal, they would have heard the case and probably upheld the lower court's decision.

• Locked thread