Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Jakabite posted:

Also went to see Her today. Only recently started using the Oxford Road Cornerhouse and it's a great little cinema.

you hipster gently caress. don't let the caffe latte steam up your thick framed glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Renaissance Robot posted:

So it's a giant pepperami then? I had something similar out of Tesco once, branded Red Jak or something, it tasted like atherosclerosis

No, it's a Saveloy. there is really nothing quite like it. It makes your morning after dump smell like regret and sadness.

I will try and find a picture. When you eat one it's tasty in a disgusting sort of way, and you will hate yourself afterwards.

Edit: Actually find a picture yourself, just google saveloy. Top few pictures are all correct.

Dravs fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 25, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dravs posted:

It makes your morning after dump smell like regret and sadness ... When you eat one it's tasty in a disgusting sort of way, and you will hate yourself afterwards.

I guess that's what it was then, because this was exactly my experience. Never again :smithicide:

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
Late to the biscuit chat but ive found i like the oat cookie things a lot. Oaties? You can get the cheaper versions just about anywhere though it seems. I dont remember them back in the states but Im sure theres an equivalent

LIDL has lots of good snack things like that. But i just eat them like they are, if anything a little glass of milk or something. Is it blasphemy to not have tea along with them

I'm just not crazy about warm drinks. Going to search london for a parmo one of these days although Im guessing I'll only find the actual italian version

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Oh Holy gently caress

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-26341085

:stare:

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF

Pun not required to describe the little bastard.

Swamp Fancy
Apr 6, 2003

Look, I'm not exaggerating when I say the success of your mission hinges on how you use that cardboard box.

Motherfucker!

That's it man, game over man, game over! What the gently caress are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Literally a motherfucker.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

britishbornandbread posted:

you hipster gently caress. don't let the caffe latte steam up your thick framed glasses.

Latte? gently caress right off, black as tar or get out

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Manchester goon here. I think a meet is workable. Briton's protection?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

manc goons please keep us updated as to your personal safety if you meet

include the word "mahogany" if you are posting under duress

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Tiger lounge is probably the best bar in town. Super cheap and they do cocktails

Swamp Fancy
Apr 6, 2003

Look, I'm not exaggerating when I say the success of your mission hinges on how you use that cardboard box.

Faithless posted:

Tiger lounge is probably the best bar in town. Super cheap and they do cocktails

Don't forget the free sweeties

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Fingerless Gloves posted:

It's worse than you think, I'm from Kirkby

Not just me then. Looks like I might end up having to do the commute to Mancland for work though, tech industry here is a bit quiet..

Price of beer up here is baffling after London. Any sort of fancy import beer is about 50p cheaper than the big smoke, but your standard issue lager is less than half the price. Might have to develop a taste for Carlsberg :/

davestones
May 7, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

Not just me then. Looks like I might end up having to do the commute to Mancland for work though, tech industry here is a bit quiet..

Price of beer up here is baffling after London. Any sort of fancy import beer is about 50p cheaper than the big smoke, but your standard issue lager is less than half the price. Might have to develop a taste for Carlsberg :/

Isn't that just called the M25 tax? I always thought everything was cheaper outside London because we aren't rich enough to live in London.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

The rise of "real ale" does seem to be an excuse for pubs to charge silly prices (£3+) for what is basically a pint of bitter but I just suck it up because I love a good pint of Ale!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

It's more the weird way things are cheaper. In Liverpool I can easily find pubs that are more than twice the price of others, something I never really saw in London*

*because every pub is expensive.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Those are yuppie pubs for visiting/aspiring londoners

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
There are a few cheaper nice pubs in London if you know where to look. (Nicer because usually if you find a cheap pub in London there is something cripplingly wrong with it. Look for bad signs like sawdust on the floors, plastic glasses etc)

The Lemon Tree just off New Row in between Covent Garden and Leics Sq is good if you like Ale, although it gets pretty rammed in the evenings. Luckily there is plenty of space to stand outside. Marquis of Granbury is also nice nearby and is a bit quieter with a nice upstairs area and an outside area in an alley which is popular (although admittedly it is much more expensive)

Walkers of Whitehall just off Whitehall is also decent with ok prices. Has a big underground area. Also the Green Man and French Horn used to be ok, however that was run by literal criminals and was shut down for some dodgy poo poo not even related to alcohol I think. under refurb now so might reopen under "new management".

Although, this was from over a year ago when I actually lived and worked in central london, now I live in Suffolk which is much more relaxing than dirty noisy London. Any other Suffolk goons? (Or Nofolk / Cambs goons for that matter, home counties gotta stick together)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dravs posted:

There are a few cheaper nice pubs in London if you know where to look. (Nicer because usually if you find a cheap pub in London there is something cripplingly wrong with it. Look for bad signs like sawdust on the floors, plastic glasses etc)

The Sam smiths pubs are still decent value in London, relatively, long as you find one of the better ones that cleans its pipes properly. The days of £2.40 pints are longongone though.

Anyone in the pool can help me with more good pubs actually? The Fly in The Loaf and Ship and Mitre are amazing so far, but the more the merrier.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
The Roscoe is one of my favourites, but it's a proper pub for the wrinkled. I used to go The Flute quite often, it's nice in there. Cafe Tabac do pretty drat good burgers but can be expensive. For one a bit further out the way, there's The Baltic Social down in the CUC, which has the goddamn best looking cake on the bar.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
this thread is like walking in to a pub somewhere up north where everyone complains about money

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Spuckuk posted:

The Sam smiths pubs are still decent value in London, relatively, long as you find one of the better ones that cleans its pipes properly. The days of £2.40 pints are longongone though.

Anyone in the pool can help me with more good pubs actually? The Fly in The Loaf and Ship and Mitre are amazing so far, but the more the merrier.

Wasn't so many years ago that Sam Smith pubs still did the discontinued version of Alpine Lager for pretty drat cheap iirc

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Depends what your after really, I like Salt dog slims on Seel Street and Sound Food and Drink on Duke street atm. My fav drinking place is Kazimier Gardens. Its an outdoor bar that looks like its been transported straight from a festival. Open all yr round too!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

StrawmanUK posted:

Depends what your after really, I like Salt dog slims on Seel Street and Sound Food and Drink on Duke street atm. My fav drinking place is Kazimier Gardens. Its an outdoor bar that looks like its been transported straight from a festival. Open all yr round too!

Kazimier Gardens looks boss as, have to check it out.

salt dogs is pretty awesome, apart from nearly getting set on fire by incredibly enthusiastic bartenders slinging cocktails.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
You would probably like most of the bars on seel street then plus theres santa chupitos (cocktail bar) and Mello Mello on Slater street. Kaz Gardens is a real jem of a place (when its not raining!)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Don't suppose you know where to get a good burrito while we're at it?

I'm jonesing hard, though even in London the best place just closed shop.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Dravs posted:

Although, this was from over a year ago when I actually lived and worked in central london, now I live in Suffolk which is much more relaxing than dirty noisy London. Any other Suffolk goons? (Or Nofolk / Cambs goons for that matter, home counties gotta stick together)

naaafuck boy here, exiled to kent mildly resenting Canterbury because it's not the city of the world's desire, norwich

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Spuckuk posted:

Argh, my time in London saw my 3 favorite Burrito places all close. Mas Burrito on St Martins Lane used to do amazing Burritos. Also used to be a place on Old Compton St called Poncho Number 8 and the burritos they did were the utter loving tits. Also they had a couple of really gorgeous girls in there which helped.

Last time I was there Benitos Hat on New Row was still open, they are ok, although the Burrito sizes are a bit stingy for me and they are a bit pricey for a burrito (~£7.50). Still, flavours are decent and they give you a handful of nachos with your order which was nice. There is a Chipotle on St Martins Lane as well, although their portion size was even worse than Bonitos. Just before I left I was going to a place just off Trafalgar Sq on The Strand called Tortilla which was decent. They did pretty huge sizes for pretty cheap (~£5) and the taste was good too. Nice hot sauce.

I know a couple of other Burrito places near Bond St and Oxford circus although I didn't go to those enough to comment. Worst case there is always that travelling Burrito guy who drags his cart around Picadilly and Soho. He does ok Burritos.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Nottingham goon here.

I see there's lots of Bristol goons, shame I didn't meet any while I lived there. I know the place has a really great reputation but everyone I worked with/met was horrible, so I must've missed out (lived in Redland for a bit which might explain it, bunch of snobs)

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

bristol is poo poo.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

only real cool goons live in bristol. true fact

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Whorelord posted:

naaafuck boy here, exiled to kent mildly resenting Canterbury because it's not the city of the world's desire, norwich

Norwich is only 30 minutes drive for me from Bury St Eds. I keep meaning to go visit. Where is good to park?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Captain No-mates posted:

only real cool goons live in bristol. true fact

I'm a bristolian but it's still poo poo.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The ninja warrior commentator who replaced the previous guy is so drat bad

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

Megadyptes posted:

i like it more than london which is where im from but im not sure thats saying much

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dravs posted:

Argh, my time in London saw my 3 favorite Burrito places all close. Mas Burrito on St Martins Lane used to do amazing Burritos. Also used to be a place on Old Compton St called Poncho Number 8 and the burritos they did were the utter loving tits. Also they had a couple of really gorgeous girls in there which helped.

Last time I was there Benitos Hat on New Row was still open, they are ok, although the Burrito sizes are a bit stingy for me and they are a bit pricey for a burrito (~£7.50). Still, flavours are decent and they give you a handful of nachos with your order which was nice. There is a Chipotle on St Martins Lane as well, although their portion size was even worse than Bonitos. Just before I left I was going to a place just off Trafalgar Sq on The Strand called Tortilla which was decent. They did pretty huge sizes for pretty cheap (~£5) and the taste was good too. Nice hot sauce.

I know a couple of other Burrito places near Bond St and Oxford circus although I didn't go to those enough to comment. Worst case there is always that travelling Burrito guy who drags his cart around Picadilly and Soho. He does ok Burritos.

Benitos Hat is great but inconsistent, and the prices have been steadily creeping up.

Picante near Victoria was the best, but closed a few weeks ago. Run buy a really sound Canadian guy who'd lived in california an age, had a bunch of mexican and south american staff who knew their stuff, place was rammed on a Thursday or Friday.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Try Lucha Libre - its opposite the entrance to the Fact cinema. If i'm being honest, I dont think its all that great but everyone else I know really loves it (mind you Ive had proper burritos in California so perhaps I'm expecting too much!).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Megadyptes posted:

You're pretty wrong about this, Bristol is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Greyish Orange posted:

Nottingham goon here.

I see there's lots of Bristol goons, shame I didn't meet any while I lived there. I know the place has a really great reputation but everyone I worked with/met was horrible, so I must've missed out (lived in Redland for a bit which might explain it, bunch of snobs)

I just wish they'd stop digging up/knocking down bits of Nottingham to put more tram lines and bridges in. Unless they knock down Radford and replace it all with tramlines, then I'm fine with it.

• Locked thread