Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Wow, that chip is awesome!

If I have one of those in my SNES, along with the SPDIF mod, is it possible it will be too much crap on the 5V line and could cause issues? If so, what issued could I look forward to?

I might get one just because I ran out of SCART ports on my SCART switch.

Protip: if you tap the R,G,B inputs on the SNES encoder instead of the outputs, you will not have that horrible vertical streak in your SNES' image.

On this topic, I can't seem to get bypassing the encoder to work properly on my 1chip SNES. If I run the RGB lines straight from the input of the encoder to the AV port without amplification will I get a dim output to at least verify my connections are ok before moving on to figure out what I screwed up on my amp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Somehow the worst games I own are actually on Steam. The Path and Dinner Date come to mind.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Quiet Feet posted:

I've got a request for the thread: tell me about a bad game you have in your collection and why you still own it. Could it be laziness? A game worth selling? A cart with a lot of sentimental value? And for that matter, do you enjoy it even though it's a bad game?

The very first NES game I bought with my own money was from a Costco. It's Bart vs. the Space Mutants and if you haven't played a NES Simpsons game they are all terrible. This one is absolutely horrid. There's a few quirks to it but it's incredibly difficult and really pretty boring. The levels are timed platforming sections where you also have to collect something before you can finish (and if you haven't collected enough, you have to backtrack all over). I've never once beaten the game; there are five levels and I'd made it to the fourth once as a child.

At this time I don't sell my old games any more, so I haven't. I also haven't ever sold my NES games which is nice since I still have them, unlike my SNES or Dreamcast games.

overdriveGTO posted:

On this topic, I can't seem to get bypassing the encoder to work properly on my 1chip SNES. If I run the RGB lines straight from the input of the encoder to the AV port without amplification will I get a dim output to at least verify my connections are ok before moving on to figure out what I screwed up on my amp?

This might work, I'm not sure how good the automatic gain control on the XRGB-mini is though. I wouldn't do it for long if at all though as I don't know if PPU outputs are open collector, and the drain to the mini might source too much current.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

overdriveGTO posted:

That won't work at all.

I got the idea while I just-so-happened to be RGB modding an N64 at the same time. Put a Texas Instruments THS7314 in there, and you are good to go.

Apparently the SNES encoder also has an amp built into it. So by bypassing it, the image will look terrible.

Bypass it, but feed into the THS7314, and then output to your A/V port. Obviously make sure to cut the RGB pins on your SNES' AV port or else the encoder is still going to feed it.

BAM! no more vertical line.

edit: I just ordered that component chip for the SNES from that TG16 website. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Will it give me the same image as scart did on my XRGB Mini? Worse? Will the 7805 regulator in my SNES melt because I have so much crap feeding 5V? We'll know in a week.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 27, 2014

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

That won't work at all.

I got the idea while I just-so-happened to be RGB modding an N64 at the same time. Put a Texas Instruments THS7314 in there, and you are good to go.

Apparently the SNES encoder also has an amp built into it. So by bypassing it, the image will look terrible.

Bypass it, but feed into the THS7314, and then output to your A/V port. Obviously make sure to cut the RGB pins on your SNES' AV port or else the encoder is still going to feed it.

Ok let me start over.

I was following the guide you posted awhile ago. I tapped the RGB lines going into the encoder, lifted the RGB output legs on the SNES encoder, ran the RGB lines thru the THS7314, and to the AV port. I am getting no output.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to troubleshoot what I did wrong. I'm not sure if I screwed up soldering, if my THS7314 is busted, etc. I only have a multimeter to help troubleshoot.

I was thinking if I could take the THS7314 out of the loop temporarily to check my soldering then that would at least eliminate one potential error. I remember the guide I read for the N64 RGB mod showed that the picture was still there, just super dim without the TH7314 amp.

I got the N64 mod to work at least.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I own DoA Beach Volleyball because I like having it on my shelf. I also own all of the Game Boy and Famicom Hokuto no Ken games because they're obviously the best.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Bad games in my collection are mostly sentimental childhood ones, stuff I found cheap, or picked up in lots and haven't managed to get rid of. There isn't a ton of outright garbage in my collection, though.

I did pick up Adventures of Dino Riki as an adult because I'd rented it as a kid. It's not a great game but it isn't shoddy, either.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Just wanted to throw this out there for those of you who might be connecting your SNES to an HDTV or a capture device: The "vertical line" issue will become exacerbated when your television attempts to upscale from composite. Instead of it just being a hazy raised blur of white, it will be a hard yellow-on-black garbagetown.

Where will this instance show up the worst? Here's an example: Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, in the first level. Instead of actually rendering a black sprite in the background, they just go with absence-of-sprite to make the night. Therefore, behind and between the foreground sprites, you'll see a dark yellow bar (and it will be distinctly yellow; at least, it was for me).

But, where designers actually used a black card to render darkness and not just relying on absence, you probably won't see the yellow stripe until a scene transition.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What do I need to search on eBay to find component video ports that I can mount to my SNES?

overdriveGTO posted:

Ok let me start over.

I was following the guide you posted awhile ago. I tapped the RGB lines going into the encoder, lifted the RGB output legs on the SNES encoder, ran the RGB lines thru the THS7314, and to the AV port. I am getting no output.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to troubleshoot what I did wrong. I'm not sure if I screwed up soldering, if my THS7314 is busted, etc. I only have a multimeter to help troubleshoot.

I was thinking if I could take the THS7314 out of the loop temporarily to check my soldering then that would at least eliminate one potential error. I remember the guide I read for the N64 RGB mod showed that the picture was still there, just super dim without the TH7314 amp.

I got the N64 mod to work at least.

I've had THS7314s fry on my from too much heat from the soldering iron. They are very sensitive. Could be that.

Did the SNES work fine with your setup before you did this?

Did you wire up sync? If you have a 1CHIP-02 or 1CHIP-03 it may be needed.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

What do I need to search on eBay to find component video ports that I can mount to my SNES?

RCA Phono Jack. Alternately, Mouser sells them in packs of 6 with Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/Black/White.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
SAG got their beta retron 5 in, but they aren't allowed to talk about it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

G-Prime posted:

RCA Phono Jack. Alternately, Mouser sells them in packs of 6 with Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/Black/White.

Thank you!!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

It exists!

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

I've had THS7314s fry on my from too much heat from the soldering iron. They are very sensitive. Could be that.

The SNES works fine via composite. I'll try connecting the THS7314 by just wrapping the wire around the legs first. I have a feeling I killed it.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

I've got a request for the thread: tell me about a bad game you have in your collection and why you still own it. Could it be laziness? A game worth selling? A cart with a lot of sentimental value? And for that matter, do you enjoy it even though it's a bad game?

Sometimes I'll grab a game I don't recognize just because it looks like it could be interesting, which has resulted in a few stinkers. But since I like to collect, and don't even have that many games yet, and the bad ones are barely worth the effort to sell them, they tend to remain.

One in particular? Back to the Future for the NES, the one with lame autoscroller levels and assorted weird and un-fun gimmicks. I remember renting it way back in the day, and even as game-ravenous kid I could tell it was bad.

Then nearly twenty years later, my sister got it for me since I told her to just grab me something from one of the pawn or retro shops around here for my birthday. She was under the impression that maybe it'd be good and we were big fans of the movies. Anyway, I still didn't mind getting it since it's still a good conversation piece and it's nice to hang onto ironically, as well as being a gift from family.

I tried to play it lately and still couldn't make heads or tails of some of the unintuitive parts, and I doubt I'll touch it again, but oh well.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
The worst game in my collection is definitely The Adventures of WIlly Beamish for Sega CD.

It's not just bad, but the entire experience feels like a fever dream. From the uncomfortable long pauses between dialogue (caused by the longest load times I've ever seen) to the weird rear end sexual undertones of visiting the nurse's office in the first 3 minutes of the game. The load times are so bad, that if you hold select at any time, there will be this animation of a bunch of 3D balls moving in a mobius strip around the screen. They actually included this animation for the sole purpose of giving the player something to do while the game loads it's lovely audio.

In addition to all of that, there are several gamebreaking bugs right in the game. Most of them cause the game to lock up, and you have to start all over again. It's not just a problem with my disc, they all do this.

The colors are also completely washed out. It's like someone took a picture of the screens with the flash on.

While the intro music is totally :krad: the actual in game music sounds like the thoughts of an insane person. The constant volume changes don't help either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjaoPocyuRo

I still have it because I never sell games unless I have a duplicate.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Worst game in my collection is a 4-pak: Quattro Adventure for the NES. Won the cart at an SC3 raffle, and it just stunk up the place. Shiny cart lying bastard.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Will these ones work?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Hot drat, that's exactly what I needed! I could find the red and white ones on eBay easily, but all other colors were pretty much impossible to come across. Thank you!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Peenmaster posted:

The worst game in my collection is definitely The Adventures of WIlly Beamish for Sega CD.

This is really sad to hear. I remember playing it with my girlfriend on a Windows 3.X machine and it seemed interesting. I found out it was on the Sega CD a week ago and was looking forward to playing it.

On a cheerier note, What's everyone's surprisingly good games? Like one you expected to suck and just got sucked into.

Mine's Section Z for the NES. I got it in middle school by trading in raffle tickets you got for being good. It was something like 200 tickets. No-one earned that many, but I traded gum and Chicago Bulls pencils for other student's tickets. At first I couldn't stand it. But within a week I had a notebook full of notes about the different sections and where the teleport went.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Quiet Feet posted:

I own a copy of Bible Adventures and a CIB copy of E.T. They're both pretty awful.

Bible Adventures is hilarious in its awfulness at least, the kind of game that's actually awful in a sorta fun, really stupid kind of way, and it's always fun to show to friends who haven't seen it. E.T. is not bad in a fun way, but at least it's a game that is so bad that it became kind of legendary for it.

The worst game I own is probably FF8 though :can:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Worst game in my collection is a 4-pak: Quattro Adventure for the NES. Won the cart at an SC3 raffle, and it just stunk up the place. Shiny cart lying bastard.

What?! I love that game! Dizzy and Boomerang Kid are great! Linus Spacehead and Robin Hood are decent too!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Hot drat, that's exactly what I needed! I could find the red and white ones on eBay easily, but all other colors were pretty much impossible to come across. Thank you!

The key term that might help you for any sort of AV ports in the future is apparently "panel mount" but I am glad I can help :)

Let us know how it goes!

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I've been trying to pry one out of Hyperkin for testing purposes for months. Every time I talk to them about it it's a different excuse. Usually they tell me that they haven't gotten any units at all yet and that none currently exist. They told me this after I've A.)messed around on my friend's retron 5 that they sent him for testing and B.)after they sent the same guy a second one for reasons unknown even to him.

As much as I like the Hyperkin guys that I've personally met they kind of suck to do business with. It's fine if they just say that they don't want to send me one, not so cool when they keep making things up that I know aren't true.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I own Willy Beamish on Sega CD, and played it when its load times were the norm. To me, it's biggest crime is looking like something light-hearted and fun, only to be like "Figure out what to do, and do it in the time limit, or Willy's gonna get murdered and his charred corpse will be tossed in jail."

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

KKKLIP ART posted:

The key term that might help you for any sort of AV ports in the future is apparently "panel mount" but I am glad I can help :)

Let us know how it goes!

Oh trust me, I did. Search ebay for "component panel mount" and look at the results you get!

(Naming a video format "component" which is also the name for video equipment still haunts me to this day it seems)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oh trust me, I did. Search ebay for "component panel mount" and look at the results you get!

(Naming a video format "component" which is also the name for video equipment still haunts me to this day it seems)

Everything about component seems needlessly confusing. It sounds too much like "composite" yet it uses the exact same plugs and cables as composite. The jacks are colored red, green, and blue but it's incompatible with RGB video. You have to fuss with five separate cables/jacks to run audio and video. I'm with you, component is a pain.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

There has to be a better way!
_________/

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

When I first started looking I kept getting 3.5mm stereo jacks, you know, to connect all your audio components :v:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

There has to be a better way!
_________/

There is.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I'll buy one of those fancy scart switches from Germany super cheap if someone else handles the bulk order :v:

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

univbee posted:

There is.

<SCART connector.>

Until you run into SCART's durability issues, or want S-Video instead of RGB for heavy chroma-blend games.
Component really should have been mini-DIN-6 instead of 3xRCA if you ask me. (4 would be sufficient but already used by S-Video.)

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
I got an email from NESRGB Kit guy Tim (viletim, etim, etc.) about a new batch being ready and available for purchase some time next week. It seems he has an email newsletter that he adds people to if you email him asking when he's going to have new boards ready. Anyway, he says to expect an email next week about when exactly the boards are back in stock. I'll post in the thread when I have the info.

Is anyone going to buy a NESRGB board from this new batch? Is there anything I should know before buying this thing?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tobaccrow posted:

I own Willy Beamish on Sega CD, and played it when its load times were the norm. To me, it's biggest crime is looking like something light-hearted and fun, only to be like "Figure out what to do, and do it in the time limit, or Willy's gonna get murdered and his charred corpse will be tossed in jail."

I love this game. It's not a particularly good adventure game but the ways you can get a game over beat the poo poo out of anything Sierra created. Getting dragged off by a gargoyle, getting beat up by a street gang, getting thrown in jail with two creepy big guys leering at you, getting kidnapped and drowned. It's humorous but dark as hell.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

plasticbugs posted:

I got an email from NESRGB Kit guy Tim (viletim, etim, etc.) about a new batch being ready and available for purchase some time next week. It seems he has an email newsletter that he adds people to if you email him asking when he's going to have new boards ready. Anyway, he says to expect an email next week about when exactly the boards are back in stock. I'll post in the thread when I have the info.

Is anyone going to buy a NESRGB board from this new batch? Is there anything I should know before buying this thing?

There shouldn't be any more issues like the 2nd batch had except for really extreme edge cases.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

FrumpleOrz posted:

What?! I love that game! Dizzy and Boomerang Kid are great! Linus Spacehead and Robin Hood are decent too!

I'm willing to be wrong about it, but my impressions were poor. Was an instruction manual (not provided) the difference between loving and hating it? Maybe it's the fact that I had the ability to go and play something more intuitive.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There shouldn't be any more issues like the 2nd batch had except for really extreme edge cases.

Good to know. I was worried I would possibly have to flash RAM and do other scary things. I modded my SNES for RGB and I own a Dremel, so I'm 90% confident I can do this mod without borking my NES or electrocuting myself.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

The one that stands out the most in my own collection is Golgo 13 on the NES. I love it but it's got some serious problems. This is one of the few games I got new before I was old enough to get a job, back when the JC Penney warehouse was selling off a bunch of new copies of it (and Operation Wolf and Platoon) for $11. To date I don't think I've ever made it further than the second maze without a cheat code, but I still pick it up now and again just to play that far at least. :unsmith:

I had several really lovely games for my NES (front-loader) in days of youth, but ended up selling the lot in high school because my mother is a neat freak who doesn't like owning things. I inherited my current NES (top-loader) from a friend of mine as he was dropping out of college. The worst games I had during the first run were Destination Earthstar and Back to the Future. The worst game I inherited was Space Shuttle Project which went straight out for store credit to buy something better.

I actually went out and bought a fresh copy of DE, even though I find it infuriating and unplayable simply because it is so singularly infuriating.

I buy so few games due to general brokeness and Gear Acquisition Syndrome and Steam Sales, et al., so I don't really have many bad games to get rid of. I think I might have some mediocre-to-meh PS1/2 games hiding somewhere? Let me dig up my binder.

Auto Modellista is in there, I have no idea why other than being obsessed with arcade racers. Oh, hey, Fight Night Round 3. Goddammit, how many different ways can you gently caress up a boxing game? (relentless product placement, tiny soundtrack, stupid grind, relentless product placement, like three stages, two of which you never see, relentless product placement)

This leads me to my own question - What's the best boxing game? My pick is probably Activision's Boxing for the 2600, but that's for distilling the experience down to the core components in an amazing way. What else is there that's good?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Allen Wren posted:

This leads me to my own question - What's the best boxing game?

Wh... how can this question even exist? I don't even....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Quiet Feet posted:

This is pretty difficult for me to answer personally since my game collection is pretty filled with bad games. I used to run the Mystery Game tournament at MWC10, UFGT7 and UFGT8, so I built up a pretty big collection of terrible, terrible fighting games. I can proudly(?) say I own all 3 versions of TMNT Tournament Fighters (SNES, Genesis, and the lesser known NES version). Time Killers on Genesis is a pretty strong entry as well, and theres far more N64 fighters than is worth mentioning, basically all of which are essentially unplayable. Then there's just the massive swarm of assorted ps1/ps2 games and collections that I can't be bothered to dig through for things of note.

Outside of that, I just generally am willing to pick up random games I find for under $5 at pretty much any time. Some notable ones would be NES Dirty Harry, SNES The Rocketeer, and PSX Rosco McQueen: Firefighter Extreme. Oh, and the absolutely incredible Genesis port of KaGeKi, a brawler where every other time you hit an enemy, they go into an 8 second long recovery animation during which you have absolutely no control over the game.

• Locked thread