Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Click here to come talk about games instead of the hardware and Kinect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

since the bone works fine without it plugged in

Eh, it really depends on what you mean by fine.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Aphrodite posted:

Eh, it really depends on what you mean by fine.

The UI is not half as complicated as people seem to think. There's big squares you click on and you can scroll right or left with the bumpers. You can pin stuff, but I've not bothered. It'd be easy without the Kinect. Which bit do you thinks terrible?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Crafty posted:

The UI is not half as complicated as people seem to think. There's big squares you click on and you can scroll right or left with the bumpers. You can pin stuff, but I've not bothered. It'd be easy without the Kinect. Which bit do you thinks terrible?
Turning off Kinect means turning off voice commands, which means forget about using any of the cool snap stuff or "Xbox record that." Oh, and also no auto-sign in.

... and yet, the broken gesture/hand recognition is just annoying enough to make me consider it regardless.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crafty posted:

Setting aside the fact the UI is needlessly convoluted (but the unreliable voice commands Kinect offers don't help with that specific problem) some functionality is completely cordoned off when Kinect is unplugged. Upload Studio is an example - even though there's no need for Kinect with that tool.

The lack of an "always auto sign in to this profile" is even more baffling.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Shalinor posted:

Turning off Kinect means turning off voice commands, which means forget about using any of the cool snap stuff or "Xbox record that." Oh, and also no auto-sign in.

... and yet, the broken gesture/hand recognition is just annoying enough to make me consider it regardless.

This is why the patch to remove hand gesture recognition during video sounds so nice.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Fame Douglas posted:

Setting aside the fact the UI is needlessly convoluted (but the unreliable voice commands Kinect offers don't help with that specific problem) some functionality is completely cordoned off when Kinect is unplugged. Upload Studio is an example - even though there's no need for Kinect with that tool.

The lack of an "always auto sign in to this profile" is even more baffling.

The voice commands are pretty drat reliable. The only time I have any trouble is when I'm watching Netflix and it's a really loud scene, sometimes I have to raise my voice. Other than that I can almost be whispering and it'll pick up my voice just fine.

How is The One any more convoluted than the 360? You can pin everything you need on the front page, meaning you can get to whatever you want in a few clicks.

I forgot about the record that thing, you do lose that when you unplug Kinect. When you can't record you won't need upload studio. It's a small price to pay for saving yourself from Guantanamo bay though.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Crafty posted:

The voice commands are pretty drat reliable. The only time I have any trouble is when I'm watching Netflix and it's a really loud scene, sometimes I have to raise my voice. Other than that I can almost be whispering and it'll pick up my voice just fine.

For what it's worth, my experience with voice commands was fantastic and pretty much matched this until the last patch. Since the last patch I've had to completely hard boot my xbox on three separate occasions because voice completely stopped working. :( I'm hoping the next one fixes this problem in addition to all the other new stuff coming.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

King Burgundy posted:

For what it's worth, my experience with voice commands was fantastic and pretty much matched this until the last patch. Since the last patch I've had to completely hard boot my xbox on three separate occasions because voice completely stopped working. :( I'm hoping the next one fixes this problem in addition to all the other new stuff coming.

I've had this a couple of times with the Xbox turn off 'yes' part. There's a bug for that screen, seen quite a few people talking about that.

Hopefully fixed in the March update but we'll see.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crafty posted:

Crafty posted:

I've had this a couple of times with the Xbox turn off 'yes' part. There's a bug for that screen, seen quite a few people talking about that.

So what you're saying is that they are reliable expect for when they don't work correctly.

Crafty posted:

I forgot about the record that thing, you do lose that when you unplug Kinect. When you can't record you won't need upload studio. It's a small price to pay for saving yourself from Guantanamo bay though.

How about Microsoft create an upload feature that isn't dependent on an ugly, bulky, $100 albatross?

Crafty posted:

How is The One any more convoluted than the 360? You can pin everything you need on the front page, meaning you can get to whatever you want in a few clicks.

This is pretty much the definition of "convoluted", an interface for a pretty limited system that needs to be customized (and it's not like the pinning feature is all that flexible or powerful).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Crafty posted:

Come on now dude, the xbone ui is harder to use than the 360s with a pad. Stuff is in weird places and its generally just easier to tell the kinect to go to it for you instead. Stuff like achievements and friends are just more of a pain to use than they were on the 360. And yes, i have used them, I'm not just going off of articles, I go to my mates house most weekends and he has a bone.

Getting rid of the menu that came up when you pressed the xbox button is probably the worst offender.

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Is it possible to use voice commands with a headset? I read that voice command processing was done on the console itself, not the kinect.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SparkPeople posted:

Is it possible to use voice commands with a headset? I read that voice command processing was done on the console itself, not the kinect.

No, I'm pretty sure the Kinect has it's own CPU for processing your voice, or something?

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Fame Douglas posted:

So what you're saying is that they are reliable expect for when they don't work correctly.

How about Microsoft create an upload feature that isn't dependent on an ugly, bulky, $100 albatross?

This is pretty much the definition of "convoluted", an interface for a pretty limited system that needs to be customized (and it's not like the pinning feature is all that flexible or powerful).

It worked perfectly until the latest update introduced a bug to one command that you use once per day. It's nothing to do with reliability as you mentioned. They will fix it.

They don't really need to create a new way to record since everyone has a Kinect, and it's packed in so it's cost is irrelevant.

I don't think the inclusion of pins is indicative of a bad design, its just an extra choice for users they've copied from windows 8. Do you think the UI is worse than the 360's?

Edit: Stux they recently updated the achievements app to make it better. The friends list is updated in the upcoming March patch (there's a video on youtube you can look at). Which menu when you press the home button?

Crafty fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 28, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dan Didio posted:

No, I'm pretty sure the Kinect has it's own CPU for processing your voice, or something?

It's highly likely the voice processing for voice commands is done on the console itself, but the Kinect may have functionality for filtering microphone input on board (this is how it was for smartphones a while back).

There's nothing stopping MS from allowing voice commands with the headset (like the PS4 does), but MS obviously see unreliable voice input as some kind of "killer feature" convincing people to keep their Kinect hooked up.

Crafty posted:

It worked perfectly until the latest update introduced a bug to one command that you use once per day. It's nothing to do with reliability as you mentioned. They will fix it.

That doesn't seem to be most people's experience (and yours, going by your first post before you backpedaled).

Crafty posted:

They don't really need to create a new way to record since everyone has a Kinect, and it's packed in so it's cost is irrelevant.

Until later this year, that is.

Crafty posted:

I don't think the inclusion of pins is indicative of a bad design, its just an extra choice for users they've copied from windows 8. Do you think the UI is worse than the 360's?

The UI being badly designed is "indicative of bad design", the pinning feature is just further evidence of that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crafty posted:

I do, yeah. I really avoided using the voice commands while I had one in my house and it was a lot harder to quickly find, and use, stuff that I was looking for/wanted to check out. The inclusion of pins isn't indicative of bad design. The emphasis of them as a solution to not being able to quickly get where you want, however, is.

Bring back Blades. Where's Jay.

I mean, that's ignoring the stuff that's already been widely acknowledged as problem areas like navigating friends/parties, etc.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 28, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Stux posted:

Come on now dude, the xbone ui is harder to use than the 360s with a pad. Stuff is in weird places and its generally just easier to tell the kinect to go to it for you instead. Stuff like achievements and friends are just more of a pain to use than they were on the 360. And yes, i have used them, I'm not just going off of articles, I go to my mates house most weekends and he has a bone.

Getting rid of the menu that came up when you pressed the xbox button is probably the worst offender.

Friends looks improved next patch; less bullshit menus to get through. Going through the player feed which hangs and locks you in was incredibly dumb. Now it's Friends first or when you voice command to friends it takes you to friends not feed.

E: In general I think I've been shielded from the annoying UI features because I use the voice to just go directly where I want to. Unless it's the store, where I don't want to fuss around on voice through billions of menus. Currently it's pretty bare anyway but it's not going to scale well with any increase in library, which is probably the same that could be said for the apps menu, which even the new one is a pain to controller through to get to app settings.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 28, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Crafty posted:

Edit: Stux they recently updated the achievements app to make it better. The friends list is updated in the upcoming March patch (there's a video on youtube you can look at). Which menu when you press the home button?

The menu on the 360 that came up when you pressed the button and gave quick access to achievements, friends etc. It was one of the best features the 360 had over the ps3 ui wise and I have no idea why they removed it.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Fame Douglas posted:

That doesn't seem to be most people's experience (and yours, going by your first post before you backpedaled).

The UI being badly designed is "indicative of bad design", the pinning feature is just further evidence of that.

You got a source for the kinectless sku CBOAT?

Not sure I backpedaled, I said it won't pick up the off command in the first post too.

All I do on The One is play games and watch Netflix and TV. Those are my three most used things and It keeps the 8 last things you used on the first screen you see. Maybe if you do a ton of other stuff it becomes your complicated but I can't comment on that as I am a part of the voice command elite.

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012
So without the kinect there are: no voice commands, recording, snapping apps. Is there anything else I'm missing?

I ask because I'm planning on getting this thing used/non-kinect sku.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
They should really just make a new Kinect that doesn't have a camera. I haven't seen even the most rabid fanboy posting about how useful motion controls are.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

SparkPeople posted:

So without the kinect there are: no voice commands, recording, snapping apps. Is there anything else I'm missing?

You also won't have auto-sign in. I think that covers it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SparkPeople posted:

Hopefully they make the UI better for people without Kinect because holy poo poo if they don't and release a Kinectless SKU.

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

King Burgundy posted:

Can you still set it up so it signs in automatically onto a specific profile like the 360?

Argas posted:

Hopefully they make the UI better for people without Kinect because holy poo poo if they don't and release a Kinectless SKU.

It doesn't look that bad to navigate with a controller. It looks really similar to the 360.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

SparkPeople posted:

No auto-login. That should change because everyone complains but it might not.

And no quick turn off/on without a controller, which is obvious but I'm just mentally running through a list of things I do.

I think if they released a no-kinect SKU you'd be fine because they're just replace those features on the home screen somehow (which is what they think their version of the old quick menu is. You can pop into the home menu but running any apps or doing anything there changes away from your game obviously so it's incredibly limited. Putting a record button there, etc would be smart for non-kinect users).

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

King Burgundy posted:

And Skype. And if they ever release a decent game that uses motion control.

You can still snap without Kinect as far as I know. There's a square on the home screen for it.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Maxwell Adams posted:

They should really just make a new Kinect that doesn't have a camera. I haven't seen even the most rabid fanboy posting about how useful motion controls are.

This is...an incredibly reasonable suggestion.

Like I'd probably prefer that to the Kinect I have, where I hate motion controls. The Skype is cool and all, but it's not getting a lot of usage.

Yeah I'm down. I mean I'm stuck with my version but that at almost any cheaper price would be preferred.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SparkPeople posted:

It doesn't look that bad to navigate with a controller. It looks really similar to the 360.

It's a down-step for sure, it doesn't look that much worse, but in practice it's cumbersome and cluttered. They clearly emphasized use of the Kinect in navigating. Which, if you don't want to do that, creates problems.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MJBuddy posted:

This is...an incredibly reasonable suggestion.

Like I'd probably prefer that to the Kinect I have, where I hate motion controls. The Skype is cool and all, but it's not getting a lot of usage.

Yeah I'm down. I mean I'm stuck with my version but that at almost any cheaper price would be preferred.

Is the camera even worth dropping though in a monetary sense? I can't imagine that part being the expensive part of the Kinect, although I may be wrong.
Nice idea in theory though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maxwell Adams posted:

Then it would basically be a ps4. The ps4 can do voice commands as well. I mean if you asked people what the defining feature of the kinect was, I don't think people would say the microphone instead of the camera.

My point is why even have a kinect without a camera.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The PS4's voice commands are only for a few, very specific things.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

peter gabriel posted:

Is the camera even worth dropping though in a monetary sense? I can't imagine that part being the expensive part of the Kinect, although I may be wrong.
Nice idea in theory though.

The camera isn't just a basic webcam, there's an infrared emitter spitting out a grid of IR light. It can measure how far each grid point is, which makes it a 3d depth sensor. These guys say the Kinect costs $75 to manufacture.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Maxwell Adams posted:

The camera isn't just a basic webcam, there's an infrared emitter spitting out a grid of IR light. It can measure how far each grid point is, which makes it a 3d depth sensor. These guys say the Kinect costs $75 to manufacture.

Which is why there is a very high chance that you will never see a "Kinect-less" XBox One. It's an intregal part of the system's ecosystem and would pretty much break all of the functionality that makes the system unique. The sooner people get over it, the better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Charles Martel posted:

Which is why there is a very high chance that you will never see a "Kinect-less" XBox One. It's an intregal part of the system's ecosystem and would pretty much break all of the functionality that makes the system unique. The sooner people get over it, the better.

Or they could let you use the video upload thing without the kinect and fix the UI so it isn't terrible to navigate. The wii u gamepad is much more tied into the system than the kinect is. You can easily remove the kinect, the gamepad not so much.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

If 'get over it and buy an Xbox One' anyway were the only option, I'm sure a Kinect-less SKU would be that unlikely, but it's not.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Maxwell Adams posted:

Here's a video that emphasizes this point : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5kMNfgDS4

I forgot that the camera is also needed for Xbox fitness too. Currently aside from all the microphone usage it's useless to me personally outside of auto login. I'm hoping they will eventually have some decent games for it. The Kinect sports rivals demo is decent, you ride s jet ski around. I want something like this http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/03/kinect-put-to-clever-use-in-puzzle-platformer-fru

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

OR you could remove all gimmicky voice/motion controls and go back to using buttons like a normal person. But that's not futuristic because

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

As if people needed more reasons to turn the thing off.

e: I'm relevant :downs:

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 28, 2014

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

qnqnx posted:

OR you could remove all gimmicky voice/motion controls and go back to using buttons like a normal person. But that's not futuristic because

If only people had a choice, if only there was a console that didn't have a camera, IF ONLY!!

Welcome to the thread this was posted today already. Thanks though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Dan Didio posted:

The PS4's voice commands are only for a few, very specific things.

To be honest it has enough to cover 90% of what you would use voice commands for: picking games, going to apps, navigation of the ui, screenshots and powering off. Doesnt have a turn on command though obviously.

• Locked thread