Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Teddy Bridgewater is if Matt Ryan had a completely amazing name.

I would like Matt Ryan a whole lot better if he had a cool as gently caress name and not the most boring white guy name in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aniki posted:

It does seem like Bridgewater is being taken for granted. He's the most NFL ready QB in the draft, has excellent command of the field, and seems to be a high character guy, but somehow he becomes the boring pick compared to Bortle's girlfriend and JFF. I'd love for Bridgewater to fall to the Vikings at 8.

It seems like the discussion has moved on to upside vs readiness. JFF and Bortles' girlfriend could both really elevate the game, but Bridgewater is the boring you know what you're getting guy.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

March last year everyone had pretty much conceded the point that Smith wasn't some super stud that college announcers had anointed him

True, he fell out of his MUST DRAFT #1 status, but he was still considered a lock for the first round. I think more importantly at least two quarterback hungry teams locked up QBs in March/April when Alex Smith and Matt Flynn were traded and the market for QBs dropped substantially.

Googling "post-combine 2013 nfl draft mock" has several first page results with Geno Smith #8 with Bills, #3 with Raiders, #9 with Jets, #8 with Bills, SBNations mock references Geno was at #1 until Smith trade and has him at 3 to Raiders

Not defending the veracity of those mock drafts, they're just the results on the first page of Google. And they all had Geno Smith in the top 10.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Blitz7x posted:

Is Bridgewater not? I don't understand why he dropped from a Unanimous first pick

Because all he does is go out there and methodically run an offense, doesn't have a hot girlfriend or a cannon arm and doesn't make "spectacular" plays by throwing ducks into coverage and having a great WR to bail him out. So he's not really exciting for the media. I guarantee you the coaches have a different view of him than what ESPN is putting out there

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The myriad mocks having Bridgewater fall to the Browns have really begun to concern me. I'll be so pissed if he isn't picked up by Jacksonville at least. Houston could fall in love with Clowney and St.Louis is still in love with their soon to be ex-QB. The Jaguars have no excuse not to take the best quarterback in the draft.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Since the Jags are almost certainly going to pick Bridgewater if he's there I wouldn't be surprised to see some team (the Vikings or Raiders maybe) trade up to St Louis's spot to take Bridgewater if Clowney goes #1

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Intruder posted:

Since the Jags are almost certainly going to pick Bridgewater if he's there I wouldn't be surprised to see some team (the Vikings or Raiders maybe) trade up to St Louis's spot to take Bridgewater if Clowney goes #1

It'll be amazing when the Rams get another RG3 like bounty for #2 again. Top 10 picks from the Vikings for years!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The Raiders will absolutely not trade up

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Azhais posted:

It'll be amazing when the Rams get another RG3 like bounty for #2 again. Top 10 picks from the Vikings for years!

Well they won't be able to get a king's ransom for Bridgewater like they did with RG3 but they could probably parlay the pick into an extra second rounder and maybe a second/third rounder the following year

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I really want the Eagles to get Ha-Ha Clinton Dix. He could replace Patrick Chung and be an instant upgrade, both in coverage and quality of name.

Hope there's a run on QBs and he drops far enough.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It continues :getin:

quote:

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports that seventeen QB coaches polled at the combine ranked Fresno State's Derek Carr over Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yesssssssssssss

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Fall, Football, fall. Fall to the Chiefs.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Basil, I think at some point you need to accept the fact that you're stuck with an incredibly competent Quarterback. It's time to let go.

Vaya con Dios!!!
Aug 14, 2006

Seriously

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I was looking hard at quarterbacks today. I'm just going to hang my rear end out here. I think Manziel is the best prospect in the class. Then Bridgewater, then Bortles, then Carr. This could change when these guys have their pro day workouts but...yeah. I think the dude's skill set has a great chance of translating to the NFL.

Feel free to mark this post for review in 4 years.

Vaya con Dios!!!
Aug 14, 2006

Manziel is gonna bust harder than a goon on prom night. At least it'll be funny in a few years.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

bewbies posted:

So I was looking hard at quarterbacks today. I'm just going to hang my rear end out here. I think Manziel is the best prospect in the class. Then Bridgewater, then Bortles, then Carr. This could change when these guys have their pro day workouts but...yeah. I think the dude's skill set has a great chance of translating to the NFL.

Feel free to mark this post for review in 4 years.

Can we get a more detailed explanation of your thought process as to why?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Picture a fat construction worker farting into a clarinet for 20 minutes

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Johnny Football owns.
Reason #1: His last name is Football
Reason #2: He's got a SMOKIN HOT BABE
Reason #3: He played for a good school that shows respect to our heroes in the military
Reason #4: He throws the football in ways that please me.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If Cleveland draft Sammy Watkins does it even matter who they have throwing the ball?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

God I hate Nick Foles

I wondered why for a second before I got it.

Lol.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
He has specifically asked the media to stop calling him Johnny Football. I assume he doesn't want to be viewed as a gimmick and wants to start promoting the more legitimate brand of Johnny Manziel. Mike Mayock responded to this by calling him Johnny Touchdown.

Football media is lovely, but throwing away a name like JFF is just as bad.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
People here are so sure Manziel is going to fail that I'm like 100 percent sure he's going to succeed.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Metapod posted:

If Cleveland draft Sammy Watkins does it even matter who they have throwing the ball?
Yes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Vaya con Dios!!! posted:

Manziel is gonna bust harder than a goon on prom night. At least it'll be funny in a few years.

Lol goons don't have sex

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Man Intruder really hates JFF. He's poo poo on him basically every single post in this thread.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Metapod posted:

Hoyer showed in limited time he was capable of seeing/anticipating how wide rear end open Cameron and Gordon were all season and getting the ball to them. Imagine if they add Watkins and *gasp* Hyde at 26 or whatever RB tickles them in the late first, second or whatever and let's pretend that RB can get more than 2 YPC.

Browns with the 4th pick and some real blue chip top prospects available, I don't want them to take the third QB in the draft. There's a very good chance that either Clowney or Watkins will be there for them, or Mack, or etc.

I don't like taking Carr because his tape is awful. He has a major problem with pressure and played in an extremely dumbed down offense. I see terrible shades of Brandon Weeden 2.0 with that. I'm sure I am liable to be dead wrong but I don't care.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Febreeze posted:

Can we get a more detailed explanation of your thought process as to why?

Allow me to sound like an ESPN blowhard for a second

I am starting to believe that Manziel has "it". That is, the ability to...slow down time, or something. It is a pretty unique thing in an athlete; I'd offer Wayne Gretzky or John Stockton as other guys who had..."it". His pocket mobility/awareness and ability to throw accurately on the move are just incredible, and I think that will translate to the NFL pretty well. It also makes the arm strength and height concerns a little less pronounced.

Bridgewater and Bortles are much more traditional prospects (and they're both easily top-10 quality) but the more I watch of Manziel the more I think he's the one from the class who has a chance to be something pretty spectacular. Gruden compares him to Steve Young and I kind of get the comparison. He won't have the arm or size of Young but his agility in the pocket is even better. He certainly has a lower floor than Bridgewater though, and probably Bortles as well.

Also goons really really seem to have a deep personal dislike of the guy.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
I don't know what to tell you if you aren't hoping to see poo poo like this every Sunday next year:

Especially if its twice a year against the Steelers.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

bewbies posted:

Allow me to sound like an ESPN blowhard for a second

I am starting to believe that Manziel has "it". That is, the ability to...slow down time, or something. It is a pretty unique thing in an athlete; I'd offer Wayne Gretzky or John Stockton as other guys who had..."it". His pocket mobility/awareness and ability to throw accurately on the move are just incredible, and I think that will translate to the NFL pretty well. It also makes the arm strength and height concerns a little less pronounced.

Bridgewater and Bortles are much more traditional prospects (and they're both easily top-10 quality) but the more I watch of Manziel the more I think he's the one from the class who has a chance to be something pretty spectacular. Gruden compares him to Steve Young and I kind of get the comparison. He won't have the arm or size of Young but his agility in the pocket is even better. He certainly has a lower floor than Bridgewater though, and probably Bortles as well.

Also goons really really seem to have a deep personal dislike of the guy.

If Manziel turns into a star I'm saving this post and quoting it whenever TFF gets in a stats argument

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
For real though please tell me who the Eagles will draft so I can watch some college film in order to appear knowledgeable, and then be really confused when they pick someone different

It's a ritual as old as time itself

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

DupaDupa posted:

I don't know what to tell you if you aren't hoping to see poo poo like this every Sunday next year:

God, the pause after he jumps into his own guy but before he turns around and runs backward through his own line makes me hard as a rock. I don't see that sort of poo poo working in the NFL, but it's still beautiful to watch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DupaDupa posted:

I'm not because the only NFL defense that would allow a play like that is my own team's

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

DupaDupa posted:

I thought he only threw it up to Mike Evans? M-my world view...:qq:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The thing about that gif is that he doesn't have to run into the defender. If Manziel just steps up into the pocket he likely buys himself more time and ends up seeing the open guy anyway. He was always running out of clean pockets which will probably work out way worse for him in the NFL.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I am not sure what a gif of a rather lucky play has to do with shattering world views but the hype train gotta chug I guess.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

DupaDupa posted:

I want those dainty little jumps in a Browns jersey.

Honestly, I'm ping-ponging through my desired QBs...

My head says Teddy, Blake, Johnny.

But my heart says Johnny, Teddy, Blake.

David Carr is the worst case scenario in the game of "QB Mystery Date"

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I am not sure what a gif of a rather lucky play has to do with shattering world views but the hype train gotta chug I guess.

I don't really get this attitude because no matter whether JFF busts or succeeds the results will be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

CharlestheHammer posted:

Woosh.

• Locked thread