Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It's also the only official translation of MG2. Might be the only actual translation I dunno if a patch was ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

randombattle posted:

It's also the only official translation of MG2. Might be the only actual translation I dunno if a patch was ever made.

There is an unofficial patch. I think there's at least one LP in the archive that used it. Slowbeef did an LP of it with the patch before LP was a thing but it's been lost due to his website going down.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

randombattle posted:

MG2:SS was never released officially in English before the Subsistence release and I think MG1 got a new translation too which cleared up some of the wonky Engrish. (I feel asleep!)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Snakes Revenge also has that bad rear end jungle music at the beginning.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Isn't it getting a bit close to release date for there to be no concrete acknowledgement at all of a PC version for Ground Zeroes? :ohdear:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Isn't it getting a bit close to release date for there to be no concrete acknowledgement at all of a PC version for Ground Zeroes? :ohdear:

I can pretty much guarantee you that if there even is a PC version it will come out well after the PS4 and XB1 releases. Maybe even delayed until after MGS5 proper.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

That loving Sned posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 3D

Graphics aside MGS3D isn't a bad purchase if you already have a 3DS. It controls really well and you get to play Snake Eater with no HUD on the screen. I wish they would have included Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Kibayasu posted:

I can pretty much guarantee you that if there even is a PC version it will come out well after the PS4 and XB1 releases. Maybe even delayed until after MGS5 proper.

Yeah, I'd imagine they'll release it with TPP as "MGSV:The Complete Collection" or something. Releasing Revengence on Steam was a huge step for them, but I'd imagine that PC is probably their last priority.

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf
Forgot about Portable Ops as I never really had a chance to play it. :saddowns:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
It's really disappointing, since when they first announced the Fox Engine they talked up how easy it was to port games built in it to every system, including PC. I just hope we get a PC version at least announced in time for Phantom Pain. After seeing how much better Rising was on PC, I really hope KojiPro throws the hardcore gaming master race another bone.

Also can we get the MGS Legacy Collection on Steam please? :shobon:

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Saw this, thought this thread might appreciate it:

More here.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That guy could get work for Konami's advertising team because god-drat, that's an amazing likeness. If you didn't know better, you'd probably think he's the face model.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dux Supremus posted:

More here.

RIP Hayter-san, you're with The Boss now :unsmith:

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
i really think that david hayter will still show up in TPP or the end of GZ as a clone or something

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

John Romero posted:

i really think that david hayter will still show up in TPP or the end of GZ as a clone or something

"Kept you waiting, huh?"

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
From GI's post-Kojima interview podcast it's about Hayter being unable to act his lines out well enough for the motion-capture to work, and it's a helluva detailed motion capture form.

blackguy32 posted:

Snakes Revenge also has that bad rear end jungle music at the beginning.

I thought of this kind of jungle music and had to refresh my memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYKjNOcjDXY

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MrLonghair posted:

From GI's post-Kojima interview podcast it's about Hayter being unable to act his lines out well enough for the motion-capture to work, and it's a helluva detailed motion capture form.

So wait, Kiefer was motion captured too??? :allears: :allears: :allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

abagofcheetos posted:

So wait, Kiefer was motion captured too??? :allears: :allears: :allears:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
oh my god

I've watched like 4 seasons of 24 in the past couple months, and will probably finish another by the time Ground Zeroes is out... this is gonna be weird but amazing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crappy Jack posted:

"Kept you waiting, huh?"

More like "What's the insertion method?" after that MGS4 Snake/Ocelot fight. :getin:

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
To be more precise, Kiefer did the facial capture for Snake, the full body motion capture is still done seperately, so it's not on The Last of Us's level where it's pretty much like live action acting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

John Luebke posted:

To be more precise, Kiefer did the facial capture for Snake, the full body motion capture is still done seperately, so it's not on The Last of Us's level where it's pretty much like live action acting.

I seem to recall Kojima wanting Kiefer instead of Hayter because he could do full body action acting.

KOJIIIIIMAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I'm just replaying MGS3 and it's kinda sad seeing Snake as an incredibly enthusiastic, simple minded dork with an obsession about how various animals tastes, knowing how he's going to turn out as a child-soldier training monster.

I love Paramedics constant :ughh: reactions to Snake asking how a poisonous mushroom tastes or if he can eat his own poop. This really is the best game ever.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

abagofcheetos posted:

oh my god

I've watched like 4 seasons of 24 in the past couple months, and will probably finish another by the time Ground Zeroes is out... this is gonna be weird but amazing.

This is pretty much how I feel, too. I desperately want a scene where Snake is beating on someone while demanding to know where someone else or some thing happens to be. Jack-kun~~ :allears:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spalec posted:

I'm just replaying MGS3 and it's kinda sad seeing Snake as an incredibly enthusiastic, simple minded dork with an obsession about how various animals tastes, knowing how he's going to turn out as a child-soldier training monster.

I love Paramedics constant :ughh: reactions to Snake asking how a poisonous mushroom tastes or if he can eat his own poop. This really is the best game ever.

It's also weird knowing what happens with Snake's lovable support team too. I really hope V fleshes that out.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I know this may be the wrong place to ask, but is Portable Ops considered canon or not? I mean, it wasn't in the HD or Legacy collection, and the MGSV GameInformer timeline makes no mention of it as far as I can see.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

John Luebke posted:

That's a shame, it's hard to go back to other games' cutscenes after seeing how well they're done in Uncharted and The Last of Us. Kojima probably wants it to be equally good in both English and Japanese, though.

Zedicus Mann posted:

I know this may be the wrong place to ask, but is Portable Ops considered canon or not? I mean, it wasn't in the HD or Legacy collection, and the MGSV GameInformer timeline makes no mention of it as far as I can see.

"We can leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind us" Kaz says at the start of Peace Walker, so Portable Ops is dismissed in a single line. It's a pretty rough game, especially thanks to the controls, but it has some things going for it. The acting and comic book cutscenes are great, and you get to play as loads of different characters. Even Old Snake and Ninja Raiden in the expansion.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Zedicus Mann posted:

Yes, but you pretty much know all you need to know if you have beaten MGS4 since the big reveal was leading up to that. It pretty much sets up the main antagonist of MGS4.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Zedicus Mann posted:

Technically, yes, but what happens there isn't important at all. Basically, Big Boss gets money, FOXHOUND is established and the Patriots are formed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What the gently caress is that sticking out of his head?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Whats on his forehead?

Also, Hayter will be back. They're just preparing for the two snakes to meet face to face eventually.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That's a piece of shrapnel that god got lodged in his head. I don't remember if it was supposed to be there from the end of Ground Zeroes or the start of Phantom Pain, but it helps the visual imagery of him becoming a demon.

Edit: Typos! :argh:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I imagine Big Boss's descent to the dark side will best be handled gradually--Spec Ops the Line-style, where it's one little moral compromise after another. Not just one big step. Least, I hope so.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Kojima's not really one for subtlety, for better or worse (usually better, I love the stupid bombastic moments the most)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Big Boss will be presented with a moral choice. Blow up a maternity ward full of babies, or rape a dozen nuns. Which will you do?!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Dux Supremus posted:

More here.

Is that Photoshopped into an actual picture? If not, that background scenery (even if out of focus) is astonishing.

e: Oh, it's Deviant Art. Disappointing, but makes more sense.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

vote_no posted:

Is that Photoshopped into an actual picture? If not, that background scenery (even if out of focus) is astonishing.

The whole thing is an actual picture.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

But that whole thing is not that dude's face. It's pretty clearly a bunch of prosthetics in the close-ups.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Been replaying MGS3, and man I forgot how much I loved the entire torture sequence followed by the Groznyj Grad escape to the caves and Snake's snowy return to destroy the Shagohod. I knew he would be Big Boss going into the game but seeing that bullet hit his eye (the final moment that confirmed it) was pretty great, including Ocelot's roulette.

Then you get to the Volgin showdown and the Shagohod chase and the Boss showdown... the last 1/3 of this game is so good. Then you get the final meeting with Snake and Adamska in the WiG, which is a lovely moment.

Just need to get these stupid Kerotans on the post-Shagohod chase sequence. I'm not great with the SVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

That's a shame, it's hard to go back to other games' cutscenes after seeing how well they're done in Uncharted and The Last of Us. Kojima probably wants it to be equally good in both English and Japanese, though.

The thing to remember about The Last of Us and Uncharted is that while you get the body movements of their actors and voice recorded from their performances (they also sometimes mix different voice recordings with different performance captures), all facial animation is done by their animators after capture. It seems that video game technology isn't quite there to get the entire thing at once or it is at least prohibitively expensive to do so.

• Locked thread