Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Nothing bullshit about fashion boys :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
All Star fashion!

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
Throwing in another vote for the Evolution. Definitely a great basketball.

On another topic:

I play once a week on a court that is very slick. It's a combination of not being swept consistently, the court being older and (probably) my shoes not being the best. Last week we swept before we started and it didn't seem to help a whole lot. My shoes aren't great but they work very well on every other court but this one. What can I do to get myself some more traction? Other people that play there seem to handle it ok but I feel like every time I plant I slip a little and it throws my entire game off. I can't drive, do pull up jumpers, or any quick moves basically.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I have a friend that just buys $5 shoes and changes them every now and then, and never has any foot-related trouble, he's a freak, though. He does always get some hand-related freak injury for some reason.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

TJChap2840 posted:

Throwing in another vote for the Evolution. Definitely a great basketball.

On another topic:

I play once a week on a court that is very slick. It's a combination of not being swept consistently, the court being older and (probably) my shoes not being the best. Last week we swept before we started and it didn't seem to help a whole lot. My shoes aren't great but they work very well on every other court but this one. What can I do to get myself some more traction? Other people that play there seem to handle it ok but I feel like every time I plant I slip a little and it throws my entire game off. I can't drive, do pull up jumpers, or any quick moves basically.

Athletic stores (Sports Authority/Modells/Dicks) sell bottles of "Shoe Grip" or something similar. I tried it out and while it's not gamechanging, it definitely helps with slippery floors. I thought it was bullshit at first, but after seeing NBA players use it during games I figured it was worth trying. Check it out and see what you think.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
http://www.modells.com/product/adidas_crazy_fast_mens_basketball_shoe-q33380.do?sortby=bestSellersAscend&refType=4

I switched to Adidas a long time ago after twisting my ankle in Reebok's and Nike's a whole bunch of times

A lot of these shoes are under 50 bucks (I know this one says 100 but it is ALWAYS on sale at the actual Adidas store and I bought mine for 50).

Those shoes are also the ones that Damian Lillard wore when he first got signed. Really comfy, good ankle support and are extra light....

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Buy last year's team models, if you wana save. No reason why Hyperdunks, or something like them, from 2010 aren't good. I have really wide feet, they're basically a size wider than they are long, and I can never find any comfortable shoes. I wear Howard 2s now, and they're ok but not perfect, but it's hard out there for a wide footer.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Hyperdunks are great and reasonably affordable

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You used to be able to get the Gil Zeros for way cheap (I think they rereleased them as Regulates) because of some bullshit about guns but I have a few pairs of those, they're midtops but they're pretty solid.

I'd still recommend the Regulate but they're more expensive than they used to be (although the new ones have the updated Wizards/Bullets color scheme which looks really good)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I just wear low top Chucks most of the time and I've never had anything than a minor ankle roll. Worst ankle injury I ever had was running an endurance course with high top boots on. QED. :colbert:

I thought there were some studies done that showed that high tops don't appreciably reduce the rate of ankle injuries and there was some conjecture that they might lead to increased knee injuries. Anyone?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I recommend these shoes for true ballin'

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

vulturesrow posted:

I just wear low top Chucks most of the time and I've never had anything than a minor ankle roll. Worst ankle injury I ever had was running an endurance course with high top boots on. QED. :colbert:

I thought there were some studies done that showed that high tops don't appreciably reduce the rate of ankle injuries and there was some conjecture that they might lead to increased knee injuries. Anyone?

Anytime I try to play basketball with low tops on, I feel like my ankles are going to snap. It's really weird.

For shoechat, I wear 2011 Hyperdunks and they're pretty great. Good ankle support and they're really light. I may need to replace them soon, though.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

it's about the width of the base relative to height of the top. A low-top (except the Kobe's which are built really intelligently) cannot provide good ankle support, but most hi-tops don't either. Also: it's normal to not have gotten ankle injuries. The problem is that once you've gotten one or two they become more and more frequent as your ankle becomes weaker (anyone with ankle problems can attest to this).

If you want ankle support it's canon that Ektio makes the greatest ankle shoe ever made.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RCarr posted:

I recommend these shoes for true ballin'

That spinner better light up

mynameisjohn posted:

it's about the width of the base relative to height of the top. A low-top (except the Kobe's which are built really intelligently) cannot provide good ankle support, but most hi-tops don't either. Also: it's normal to not have gotten ankle injuries. The problem is that once you've gotten one or two they become more and more frequent as your ankle becomes weaker (anyone with ankle problems can attest to this).

My ankles started loving up but then I changed shoes and proceeded to gently caress up my knees because life is cruel

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I'm 22 and my knees are already starting to get shot between playing basketball, walking a ton, and skateboarding. It's pretty depressing. I need to take lighter steps.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'm thinking about getting into yoga as soon as I figure out what the yoga equivalents of sick dunks and ankle breakers are (I assume it's sucking your own dick but I'd like to consult with a yogi just to confirm)

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

I'm 22 and my knees are already starting to get shot between playing basketball, walking a ton, and skateboarding. It's pretty depressing. I need to take lighter steps.

Basically you gotta start working out as much as you play, if you don't want to have those kinds of problems. You can play your way into getting into shape, but then staying healthy if you play a lot takes actual conditioning work or you'll just start picking up over-use injuries left and right. It only gets worse, if you don't pay attention to it, the older you get. Skateboarding in particular can gently caress up your legs if they're not strong enough (if you're into jumps anyway).

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Getting my glutes activated correctly was the most important step I took towards helping my knees cope with sport. The other big difference was going from running on my heels to running on my toes (And a pile of calf/core work to allow that to happen).

And yeah, that means at least three days per week of maintenance at the gym or doing pilates.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
The Washington Generals are looking for players to round out their roster.

http://www.washingtongenerals.com/opportunities.html

quote:

An ideal prospect for the WASHINGTON GENERALS can strike a balance between sports and entertainment. He must be an intelligent and fundamentally sound player, has completed all of his NCAA eligibility and is in possession of a valid US passport. Interested players must also submit references and game footage.

Please contact John Ferrari at jferrari@washingtongenerals.com for information.

AKA: We're looking for white guys. Let's put an end to the Globetrotters reign of terror.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Globetrotters would be a solid team if they got rid of some of those showboats and supplemented their roster with the fundamentalist Generals.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

What difference does it make that he's completed all of his NCAA eligibility? That's really weird, isn't it?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BIZORT posted:

What difference does it make that he's completed all of his NCAA eligibility? That's really weird, isn't it?

White seniors are probably the ideal Washington General. Imagine Tyler Hansborough out there getting stunted on. It's a rule that just makes sense.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

BIZORT posted:

I think it's so NCAA players don't unknowingly kill their eligibility. I doubt it's a real requirement.

e: I just sent in a request for a tryout. I was sure to reference my college lacrosse background just in case the NCAA eligibility thing is real. I talked in length about how fundamental chest passes were the most exciting play in basketball so we will see if I get a call up.

I will play under the pseudonym "The Air Down There" because that is where efficient 3 point shots come from.

e2: My hoop dreams have died before they began

quote:

I do appreciate your inquiry and enthusiasm regarding basketball and the Trotters.
Are rosters are full, but I will retain your email if an opportunity arises.

Good luck in all of your endeavors.

Take care
John Ferrari

Oceanlife fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 10, 2014

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Did they actually use "are" instead of "our"? :psyduck:

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
While we're having shoe chat, I found an old pair of shoes in my closet a while back that are comfortable as hell, even if they look a little odd.

http://imgur.com/f9VJtwt

Also I swore off any shoe with Iverson's name on it after having a pair literally fall off my feet after a month.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012

Emery posted:

While we're having shoe chat, I found an old pair of shoes in my closet a while back that are comfortable as hell, even if they look a little odd.

Also I swore off any shoe with Iverson's name on it after having a pair literally fall off my feet after a month.

whatthe90sthoughtthefuturelookedlike.jpg

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Emery posted:

The Question 1's were the best shoe ever.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Shoe chat, I just got these adidas Originals MCX1s from a store near me after I asked for indoor basketball shoes. They seem waaaay too clunky though plus there's apparently zero cushioning when jumping. I only train solo or play 1v1 & 3-man 32, but would I be better off wearing these with my jeans about town and grabbing something else come next payday?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Creepy Goat posted:

Shoe chat, I just got these adidas Originals MCX1s from a store near me after I asked for indoor basketball shoes. They seem waaaay too clunky though plus there's apparently zero cushioning when jumping. I only train solo or play 1v1 & 3-man 32, but would I be better off wearing these with my jeans about town and grabbing something else come next payday?

Yeah, originals aren't for sports really. I mean unless you insist on playing indoor soccer in sambas or something. If the new Adidases don't fit you, they have a ton of Retros out now that are good. But yeah get something better, technology has definitely progressed.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I should have probably guessed when I saw the sole, but haven't picked up a ball in like 5 years so I assumed the sports guy would know what he was talking about.

As a short guy (5'8") would I just be better off in lows? Something like the Nike KD VIs, or super lightweight like Zoom Hyperrevs?
I played a bunch of outdoor 1v1 in Roshe Runs and despite not being at all supportive around the foot my ankles felt fine.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Creepy Goat posted:

I should have probably guessed when I saw the sole, but haven't picked up a ball in like 5 years so I assumed the sports guy would know what he was talking about.

As a short guy (5'8") would I just be better off in lows? Something like the Nike KD VIs, or super lightweight like Zoom Hyperrevs?
I played a bunch of outdoor 1v1 in Roshe Runs and despite not being at all supportive around the foot my ankles felt fine.

I haven't played in the KD VIs yet, but the Vs are my shoe of choice (though they're a high top) and I wore my IVs until the soles lost their tread, and those were low-tops. I've heard nothing but good things about the VIs as well, so I'd say they're a good bet.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Sweet, probably going to pick up some orange KD VIs then. Those Adidas Originals were really rubbing hard today too, they'll be relegated to bar & work wear from now on.

Ball talk - is there enough difference at training level between using a rubber ball and an indoor leather (Wilkinson Evo)?
Been practicing with a Nike 'Domination' since there's only one shop in town that sells balls and it's the only one they have. Feels a bit 'pingy', and is really light making my layups overshoot all the time, and on the dribble it gets away from me when I change pace quickly. Unsure if it's just sloppy on my part or whether the ball really is too flimsy.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

New balls always have that pingy feel and noise to them until they're broken in. The weight isn't going to change, though. I usually spring for a very nice expensive indoor ball and a cheap outdoor ball

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
This poo poo works, so try it. It will only work once a game, and probably only once a day if you keep playing with the same people.

When the teams are picked, there's usually this natural "is this person that I am about to pass to on my team?" for the first few seconds. No poo poo, guard your own teammate when he has the ball. The other team will usually be paying more attention to whoever they are guarding and think you are on their team and just let it go. If you and the ball handler knows what's going on, it's an easy point.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Cole posted:

This poo poo works, so try it. It will only work once a game, and probably only once a day if you keep playing with the same people.

When the teams are picked, there's usually this natural "is this person that I am about to pass to on my team?" for the first few seconds. No poo poo, guard your own teammate when he has the ball. The other team will usually be paying more attention to whoever they are guarding and think you are on their team and just let it go. If you and the ball handler knows what's going on, it's an easy point.

This will not fly at the gym I play in.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Cole posted:

what the gently caress?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Cole posted:

If this happened where I play everyone would probably stop the game and call you stupid.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Shoe talk: does anyone have the new Kobe's? They look pretty boss but I can't justify $250 shoes when I don't have access to an indoor court :negative:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Accident Underwater posted:

If this happened where I play everyone would probably stop the game and call you stupid.

Believe it or not it works and it happened against me. You really just don't pay that much attention in the first few seconds of the first game. It's the equivalent of calling for the ball when you're playing defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I know it works, but if anyone started acting weird and guarding their own team someone on one team or the other would probably call time to straighten things out (I guess because 90% of the people I play with are regulars and familiar with each other). I've seen it happen by accident plenty, too.

Doltos posted:

It's the equivalent of calling for the ball when you're playing defense.

Now this is a sound strategy I can get behind.

To avoid confusion, have one team play with no shirts, while the other team plays completely naked, the true meaning of shirts and skins.

• Locked thread