Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I did direct stream audio+video in virtualdub and the audio works but my video is a black screen unless I use a 32 bit video program. ZMBV why do you have to be so weird? Will only being openable in 32-bit jeopardize youtube uploads?

I'm just curious why the source video and the cut video have bad quality in movie players, but viewing them in virtualdub gives insanely perfect fidelity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Nidoking posted:

Perfect quality and small file size pretty much automatically means the built-in ZMBV codec. I didn't think anyone recorded from DOSBox using external tools.

The only reason I've found to do this is if you're using MT32 emulation (or just general MIDI), since the build-in dosbox recorder doesn't record the system sound.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Don't use 64-bit virtualdub.

Mortimer posted:

I'm just curious why the source video and the cut video have bad quality in movie players, but viewing them in virtualdub gives insanely perfect fidelity.

I dunno, maybe your media player settings are hosed?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Even the original unedited video doesn't open in 64 bit VLC. MPC is fine though. It's probably codecs, that's all on my end.

Yeah at that tiny resolution it's fine but I'm saying when you blow both up like this (open the link in a new tab)

You can really easily see the difference. How would my settings be that wrong?

edit: found it. MPC options -> set resizer to nearest neighbor. Thanks for the help everyone

mbt fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 1, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The default scaler is bilinear in MPC. Press "O", to to Playback => Output, then look for Resizer near the bottom right and select "Nearest Neighbor" from the dropdown.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Even the original unedited video doesn't open in 64 bit VLC.

VLC doesn't use vfw codecs. Also VLC is bad don't use it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Might as well link the source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3shHgxx6bU

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

I've had it reported to me that my audio commentary sometimes sounds like it's in a bathroom or has too much echo. My mic is in the corner of a room, and without testing the mic position I decided to do a test audio post with raw audio and adding each individual filter.

Test audio post

Do you think there's echo added with a filter somewhere, or is it in the raw audio?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

MEAT! posted:

VLC doesn't use vfw codecs. Also VLC is bad don't use it.

Other than "doesn't use vfw codecs" why is it bad?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

valkhorn posted:

I've had it reported to me that my audio commentary sometimes sounds like it's in a bathroom or has too much echo. My mic is in the corner of a room, and without testing the mic position I decided to do a test audio post with raw audio and adding each individual filter.

Test audio post

Do you think there's echo added with a filter somewhere, or is it in the raw audio?

It only starts sounding off once you introduce the compressor. Why exactly are you compressing your audio?

Honestly, I think it was just fine once you introduce the noise filter, and I probably wouldn't notice anything if you'd just use the raw audio. :shrug:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Major_JF posted:

Other than "doesn't use vfw codecs" why is it bad?

Have you ever used it? The only reason to ever use VLC is if your OS literally doesn't support any other media player.

But basically: its codecs are crap, its output video quality is bad, it loves to drop frames when rendering for no apparent reason, and there are better options out there (like Media Player Classic).

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
For anyone that uses Adobe Premiere Pro, is there a certain bitrate zone where the quality benefit tapers off? I usually put my target zone at 8mbps but I'm wondering if that's overkill.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Highwang posted:

For anyone that uses Adobe Premiere Pro, is there a certain bitrate zone where the quality benefit tapers off? I usually put my target zone at 8mbps but I'm wondering if that's overkill.

It depends on your target resolution, but you really should just use Debugmode Frameserver to frameserve your project to MeGUI for encoding. I find Premiere's encoder bloats filesizes for no particular reason compared to MeGUI or Vegas's encoder.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

DStecks posted:

It only starts sounding off once you introduce the compressor. Why exactly are you compressing your audio?

Honestly, I think it was just fine once you introduce the noise filter, and I probably wouldn't notice anything if you'd just use the raw audio. :shrug:

Strange. I can remove the compressor. I mean it's not that big of a deal to use it.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

Have you ever used it? The only reason to ever use VLC is if your OS literally doesn't support any other media player.

But basically: its codecs are crap, its output video quality is bad, it loves to drop frames when rendering for no apparent reason, and there are better options out there (like Media Player Classic).

It is the main player I use and I haven't seen any of those issues in 1.6 onwards. I didn't know if there was some big issue so I asked. Back 6 years ago it was the only one I could find that played .flvs. The CCP wasn't helping for some weird reason and then I just stuck with it.
I don't know, maybe I should try mpc. See if it makes a difference.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Major_JF posted:

It is the main player I use and I haven't seen any of those issues in 1.6 onwards. I didn't know if there was some big issue so I asked. Back 6 years ago it was the only one I could find that played .flvs. The CCP wasn't helping for some weird reason and then I just stuck with it.
I don't know, maybe I should try mpc. See if it makes a difference.

Personally, I just use mplayer. The only thing it doesn't play is lovely encodes, and if you're dealing with lovely encodes you've already lost the game anyhow.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
mpc-homecinema that's included in CCCP has played everything I want and never screwed it up. I can't say the same for VLC.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Using megui when encoding video I would have to let it run overnight or intentionally not do anything too stressful with my computer or megui had a high chance of loving up and giving me a bad video. If I use camtasia/premiere/whatever and do the encode thing, does the same rule apply or can I play a game or w/e while I wait.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

I've never had a problem with camtasia or premier messing anything up while I do something in the background. Although, camtasia really slows down my computer when processing a video.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It depends. Encoding is very CPU intensive, so if you were just web browsing, you'd be ok, but if you wanted to load up a game on Steam, you'd probably run into issues because there's not enough power for either the game nor the encoding process.

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

This is a quarter of a year late, but I'm just gonna discuss my "experience" so far with the Logitech Stereo Headset H150, as I know Zeratanis wanted validation with the headsets in the OP – it may not even be necessary at this point; it's just in case somebody wants to use it as a quick pick for hardware.

Since its analog, the H150's microphone quality is decent if you have good on-board audio/a good sound card. The microphone quality is poor with standard on-board audio compared to the USB headsets in the OP. The quality will enhance if you change your sampling rate to DVD/Studio quality, but it will create a constant buzzing as a trade-off; removing the static in post-processing can be a chore, so just be wary of that. I'm assuming most of you probably have good on-board audio/sound cards, so this really shouldn't be a problem unless you're using a destitute pre-built system.

Xires fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 13, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So does anyone have maybe some recommended settings for using OBS to capture? It seems like it's probably got the lowest overhead in regards to system resources but I feel like I could be getting a better picture quality out of it. This is about the best I've gotten so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzWxm1Mhvu4. I figured it'd be something close to Megui settings but it seems like it might need something a bit more.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Niggurath posted:

So does anyone have maybe some recommended settings for using OBS to capture? It seems like it's probably got the lowest overhead in regards to system resources but I feel like I could be getting a better picture quality out of it. This is about the best I've gotten so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzWxm1Mhvu4. I figured it'd be something close to Megui settings but it seems like it might need something a bit more.

It looks pretty rock solid on my end man. Just remember though, OBS records and encodes at the same time so it'll always look somewhat weak compared to a raw recording from DXTory or FRAPS. If you want to make it better, you'll have to increase the bitrate you record at or increase the x264 CPU preset in the advanced settings.

You emulating this or using a capture card?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Highwang posted:

It looks pretty rock solid on my end man. Just remember though, OBS records and encodes at the same time so it'll always look somewhat weak compared to a raw recording from DXTory or FRAPS. If you want to make it better, you'll have to increase the bitrate you record at or increase the x264 CPU preset in the advanced settings.

You emulating this or using a capture card?
Emulating; I did end up making a recording at a higher bitrate but I didn't see much of a change after the youtube re-encode. Maybe I'll screw around with the CPU preset a bit. And I didn't have much of a problem with Dxtory, but just for no apparently reason the framerate of the recording would drop like a stone while the game's framerate would be fine.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Niggurath posted:

Emulating; I did end up making a recording at a higher bitrate but I didn't see much of a change after the youtube re-encode. Maybe I'll screw around with the CPU preset a bit. And I didn't have much of a problem with Dxtory, but just for no apparently reason the framerate of the recording would drop like a stone while the game's framerate would be fine.

Ah I had that problem with DXTory. Check your hard drive space, mine would do that once I used a LOT of my HD space unknowingly. Also run a defrag just to be sure.

And the YT re-encode is weird, many people have said YT's video has taken a weird direction in quality. its probably not your fault.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So I'm looking for something that can record off my PS3. I need to be able to record in HD, and I was looking through the wiki at some of the recording hardware. I'm leaning toward the HD PVR2, but I figured it was worth asking if anything was a better option. Thoughts?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Artix posted:

So I'm looking for something that can record off my PS3. I need to be able to record in HD, and I was looking through the wiki at some of the recording hardware. I'm leaning toward the HD PVR2, but I figured it was worth asking if anything was a better option. Thoughts?

The Elgato Game Capture HD works pretty similarly and is a lot smaller and doesn't need a power source! It's a little more expensive however. Hauppauge also makes a similar device, but it's even more expensive than Elgato's, so the HD PVR2 is the cheapest option.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Is there any notable difference between the software that they use? I've heard questionable things in the past about Arcsoft or whatever the Hauppauge recording software is. The Elgato being really small and not needing its own power source is a pretty strong argument though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Arcsoft is awful, but they've phased it out in favor of their own software that, according to Admiral H. Curtiss, is terribly designed. Elgato's main selling point is simplicity; it's lightweight, easy to use and it looks fantastic.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Elgato HD or bust. It's just great and can record far more than just your PS3, should you ever feel like recording your dang SNES or something.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Artix posted:

Is there any notable difference between the software that they use? I've heard questionable things in the past about Arcsoft or whatever the Hauppauge recording software is. The Elgato being really small and not needing its own power source is a pretty strong argument though.

I've had both, I prefer the Elgato. The PVR2 mangled my recordings twice and is difficult/tedious to stream in comparison. Both software suites are kind of gross, but Hauppage's is, again, worse.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Also just a mild word of warning with recording off a PS3, but it uses an encrypted HDMI thing and thus it might be good to keep that in mind though I think at this point that both the Elgato and PVR2 had inputs other than just straight HDMI.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Niggurath posted:

Also just a mild word of warning with recording off a PS3, but it uses an encrypted HDMI thing and thus it might be good to keep that in mind though I think at this point that both the Elgato and PVR2 had inputs other than just straight HDMI.

Both come with a component adapter for the PS3.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
The Elgato is great, but a problem I found with it is that sometimes when recording the video keeps stuttering between two frames and sticks there, essentially ruining the recording - I think I found out why though, and it's when you record with the "Preserve source format" option ticked on if I remember correctly, it's been a while since I played around with mine.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Hauppage Capture is about 400x better than Arcsoft Showbiz ever was.

But yeah trying to stream with it is a nightmare.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

valkhorn posted:

The audio went to hell with the normalization.

DStecks posted:

I agree with this, although I disagree that it was the compressor rather than the normalization.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
This is kind of a shot in the dark but I'm in the market for a new headset and I'm wondering if anyone has used the CAD U2 Headset? If so I could do with some opinions because it's exactly what I'm looking for on paper. Relatively inexpensive, full motion gooseneck microphone, circumaural, usb, and not wireless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mico posted:

This is kind of a shot in the dark but I'm in the market for a new headset and I'm wondering if anyone has used the CAD U2 Headset? If so I could do with some opinions because it's exactly what I'm looking for on paper. Relatively inexpensive, full motion gooseneck microphone, circumaural, usb, and not wireless.

OK So I went ahead and bought this and it's comfortable and the sound quality is good but there seems to be some interference coming from somewhere on the microphone. I remember reading a while back about grounding issues causing that? Anyone able to go into a bit more detail on why exactly that is or better yet how to fix it?