Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

As great as this was, I still think Austin was right. Flair should either have been the champion, or going for the title. The notion of ONE. LAST. TIME. One final time, maybe... just maybe, Flair could do it. Maybe if he wanted it bad enough, tried hard enough, gave enough, he could be the Nature Boy again, maybe he could find enough to climb to the top of the mountain.

I just picture the pop he could've gotten if it had been built properly and he'd, say, won the Rumble.

What's CAUsin' all this, indeed? :smith: (Best Flair catchphrase, btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaa5054
Oct 14, 2012

Red posted:

Doesn't look like it.

Rocky vs. Owen Hart

Edit: Well, now that I'm comparing, maybe Owen's is a ... reverse?

Bulldog's celebration. Amazing

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Why is it that several wrestlers come out looking pretty wet or sweaty? Like, Ambrose always looks like he hasn't showered in 4 months, Rollins and Reigns look like they both shoved their heads into Ambroses' armpits. Do they and other wrestlers (Ziggler comes to mind as someone who just kinda looks wet before he comes out, but maybe he just uses too much product in his hair) do jumping jacks in the back to warm up, or does someone spray them down with water before they go out?

Hidden Mother
Nov 12, 2012
What's the deal with Shawn Michael's back injury? I just watched the match in which it happens and the spot where Shawn hits his back on the casket happens pretty early on. I find it really strange that it put him out for four years but he didn't seem to be slowed down or even in any pain during the match.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hidden Mother posted:

What's the deal with Shawn Michael's back injury? I just watched the match in which it happens and the spot where Shawn hits his back on the casket happens pretty early on. I find it really strange that it put him out for four years but he didn't seem to be slowed down or even in any pain during the match.

Pills are a hell of a drug.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I Before E posted:

Pills are a hell of a drug.

That and adrenaline/ego.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Shima Honnou posted:

Why is it that several wrestlers come out looking pretty wet or sweaty? Like, Ambrose always looks like he hasn't showered in 4 months, Rollins and Reigns look like they both shoved their heads into Ambroses' armpits. Do they and other wrestlers (Ziggler comes to mind as someone who just kinda looks wet before he comes out, but maybe he just uses too much product in his hair) do jumping jacks in the back to warm up, or does someone spray them down with water before they go out?

I remember Rock said in his book that he always took a shower before heading to the ring because it made his body look better on TV. That's probably what some other wrestlers do and what their reasoning is, I dunno, it certainly strikes out which is why we're talking about it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ambrose probably does it to fit his "oily sleazebag" character. It's really quite a nice touch.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Shima Honnou posted:

The Shield wears comparatively more clothes than the rest of the roster save for perhaps the Wyatts.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is it true that Randy Savage introduced Shane McMahon to coke or is that like the Stephanie rumor?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is it true that Randy Savage introduced Shane McMahon to coke or is that like the Stephanie rumor?

Never heard that one, although I have heard a rumor that Vince didn't like Raven for a similar reason. Shane would've been an adult then though.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I always believed it was Raven who was getting shane drunk and on drugs which is why vince wasn't happy with him.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Has Regal ever been a babyface aside from his recent announcer gig?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Does that five minute span when he supported Eugene against Triple H (and then Triple H squashed him dead) count?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Speaking of, has anyone gone their entire career as a heel or a face?

I don't think Rude's ever been a face and I don't believe Steamboat's ever been a heel. Are there any others? Those who've had substantial careers (flash in the pans don't count).

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Ghostpilot posted:

I don't think Rude's ever been a face and I don't believe Steamboat's ever been a heel. Are there any others?

I don't think Tito Santana ever worked as a heel.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Ghostpilot posted:

I don't think Rude's ever been a face and I don't believe Steamboat's ever been a heel. Are there any others?

Wasn't Steamboat heel in either ROH or TNA?

Was Filthy Animals a heel group or face group? if face, then I'm pretty sure you can say Rey Jr. I think Raven's always been a heel too, hasn't he?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
An artist acquaintance of mine mentioned that he felt he was ripped off by the WWE over a t shirt design. Haven't talked to him since and I'm unable to at the moment. I noticed in the rundown of the most recent observer that a shirt may have a legal issue. Can anyone with a sub give me some more detail on that?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

astrollinthepork posted:

An artist acquaintance of mine mentioned that he felt he was ripped off by the WWE over a t shirt design. Haven't talked to him since and I'm unable to at the moment. I noticed in the rundown of the most recent observer that a shirt may have a legal issue. Can anyone with a sub give me some more detail on that?

It's a Frank Shamrock deal.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Capsaicin posted:

It's a Frank Shamrock deal.

Welp nevermind! Thanks.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Is the ultimate goal for most indie wrestlers to get to WWE or is that considered "selling out" by most?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

omgomgomg posted:

Is the ultimate goal for most indie wrestlers to get to WWE or is that considered "selling out" by most?
The only time I think that was ever a thing was when ECW was around and had the whole counter-culture movement behind them.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

I don't think Rude's ever been a face and I don't believe Steamboat's ever been a heel. Are there any others? Those who've had substantial careers (flash in the pans don't count).

I think Steamboat's the only major US based wrestler in the last 30 years that has worked solely as a face. There's been guys like Iron Shiekh and Daivari with foreign heel gimmicks that I'm pretty sure have only been heels though. It also seemed much more common in the old days. I'm pretty sure Gorgeous George and Freddie Blassie were never faces and Bruno was never a heel outside of Japan.

omgomgomg posted:

Yeah, a guy like Steen for example who's probably the biggest name indie wrestler without experience in the majors has publicly said that he'd take a WWE deal if offered and is going to a tryout camp soon. He said in a shoot interview a while back that he's happy creatively doing what he's doing and feels no need to go to WWE from that perspective but that he feels that he has the responsibility to provide for his family in the best way possible. I can't recall any significant indie guy in recent years who's claimed that he'd refuse to go there or knock people who do.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 2, 2014

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm sure he was a face somewhere but was Ted DiBiase a face as the Million Dollar Man?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Hockles posted:

I'm sure he was a face somewhere but was Ted DiBiase a face as the Million Dollar Man?

No, but he was a face in the territories and in his first run in the WWF before returning as the M$M.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

Well, you would have to put some kind of minimum career length on that, otherwise there would be many examples. For another example, Hillbilly Jim.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Was Bruno ever a heel? I can't recall, and if so he should be on the top of the list.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, you would have to put some kind of minimum career length on that, otherwise there would be many examples. For another example, Hillbilly Jim.

That's a good one I completely overlooked.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Was Bruno ever a heel? I can't recall, and if so he should be on the top of the list.

Not in the US, but like pretty much any US star back then he was a heel in Japan against native stars like Baba.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

*click to enlarge*

*click to enlarge*

These '80s pictures of KVE and Flair as NWA champs posted in the pics thread made me wonder something. When and why did they switch from the Harley Race style globe belt they use again today to the Big Gold Belt?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Spikeguy posted:

What are some of your favorite storylines, from beginning to end?

One of mine is CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy, 2009. The whole thing was a story of moral high ground, it brought real life into the story, and the matches were pretty good too.

Hardy returned from TNA in summer 2006. He was popular, but he was never champion. In the biggest singles push of his life he was easily the most over face in the company because cheers were split for Cena. By 2008, Jeff lost opportunity after opportunity for the title because Triple H was champion and you know how that goes. At the end of 2008, he finally gets the WWE title. After a couple months where he's huge, he loses it back to Triple H who gets drafted to Raw where the WHC already is, so now Raw has two belts. Edge quickly ends the title imbalance and brings the title back to Smackdown as a top heel. Immediately Edge and Hardy clash, bringing back their old tag rivalry. Jeff is pushed as Smackdown's savior who will take the title off the big heel and shine as champion, and indeed he did... for about five minutes.

CM Punk was sort of a face-leaning tweener badass without a real personality other than "I like to wrestle" for a long time. He'd been champion, but a buried one because they were too afraid to take the spotlight off Cena. They gave him a second chance though, winning the MITB briefcase for the second year, so maybe they'd do something with him after all. Nobody really figured Punk would cash in against a face champion though. So when Jeff Hardy and Edge clashed in a TLC match, Jeff finally won the belt and celebrated his hard fought victory...

Until CM Punk cashed in. Jeff even fended him off for a bit, but at the end of the night Punk was World Heavyweight Champion. People started booing Punk, who defended himself saying if Edge had won the TLC match, nobody would be booing. He was right, but that was beside the point. Jeff had the perceived moral high ground and he made it known. Punk however, came into the company letting everyone know he was straight-edge, and Hardy had a real-life history with drug abuse. So if Jeff was going to lecture him about morality, Punk was going to expose him as a hypocrite.

Punk went from "straight-edge fighty guy" tweener to the "straight edge and better than you" heel persona from his ROH days. He was already heel by default since he was up against the #1 babyface, so if the fans were going to turn on him, he was going to embrace it. He started garnering monster heat and began showing hints of his Savior/SES gimmick, calling out Jeff for past recreational drug use, while Jeff claimed the past was the past. He even briefly proved his worth at Night of Champions (then a July PPV) by taking the title off Punk. But Punk would retaliate, becoming even more vicious and hateful toward all non-straight edge people, and Jeff was at the center of it.

Meanwhile, Jeff's contract was coming up, and dirt sheets were saying he wouldn't re-sign. So at Summerslam, it was a foregone conclusion for many when Punk got the WHC back. Jeff had his farewell, then did his own thing with painting or music or whatever he does. The next week, Jeff Hardy's music hits and the crowd goes apeshit. They even buy his mannerisms for a few minutes. That is, until they realize it's Punk in Jeff Hardy facepaint and getup, and the crowd just hates the gently caress out of him for it.

Punk has won the war. He's still the hated, proselytizing heel, but he's won. He got rid of Jeff Hardy, the beloved drug addict. Shortly after, Jeff Hardy got busted with a crapload of pills. The very next week on Smackdown, CM Punk comes to the ring and cuts a promo starting with "I toooollld yooooouuu..." and referenced the mugshot on the internet. Not only had he won, he had irrefutable proof that Jeff Hardy was exactly what he said he was, both as a character and in real life.

The only other followup to this was Punk trashing WWE's new Jeff Hardy DVD as he formed the SES, but that was the end of it. The morally correct bad guy won, and he won decisively.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 2, 2014

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

As far as I know, Abdullah the Butcher, The Iron Sheik, Bobby Heenan, Drew McIntyre, Jinder Mahal and Wade Barrett have always been heels.

Junk Yard Dog, Warrior, El Santo, Kerry and Kevin Von Erich always face

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

omgomgomg posted:

As far as I know, Abdullah the Butcher, The Iron Sheik, Bobby Heenan, Drew McIntyre, Jinder Mahal and Wade Barrett have always been heels.

Santo was a heel for half of his career and Warrior started his career as a heel. JYD was a heel before he became JYD too.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

omgomgomg posted:

I think Warrior was a heel pre WWF. As was JYD, I think as Big Daddy Ritter.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

was Zack Gowen ever a heel

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

omgomgomg posted:

Warrior was a heel pre WWF in a tag team with Sting called the Blade Runners. Worth noting also that while Sting still used the name Sting back then, Hellwig was actually known as Rock(!).

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 2, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

epitasis posted:

Zack Gowen has almost exclusively been a heel on the indies

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

epitasis posted:

Only once.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

:golfclap:

I'd say Dreamer was a face for 99% of his life, but I have no idea what he got up to in TNA

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tharizdun posted:

:golfclap:

I'd say Dreamer was a face for 99% of his life, but I have no idea what he got up to in TNA
Dreamer was technically a heel during the inVasion, then he later had that heelish character who'd drink toilet water and eat bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

When Taker or Big E pull the straps on their singlet down before doing a power move, what's that supposed to do according to wrestling logic?