Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
The Doms are to lull the enemy into a false sense of security. :ssh:

Be glad he didn't ask for a Dom and a bunch of grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Onmi posted:

it wouldn't matter, what suit they're in doesn't mean anything. it's a fixed event style of game.

I realize the event is fixed. I'm speculating about a possible result if it weren't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terpfen posted:

I realize the event is fixed. I'm speculating about a possible result if it weren't.

Can you develop Gelgoogs without having built a Dom first? I'm not sure what the tech tree is like.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Standard Gelgoogs have movement issues in deserts, Doms don't.

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.

Midjack posted:

Can you develop Gelgoogs without having built a Dom first? I'm not sure what the tech tree is like.

You've seen the way the tech tree works in the LP. You spend money to increase your tech level, which gives you the ability to develop new and upgraded units. Some units require that you develop others first, but (in my limited experience) that looks like it's mostly used for new variants of older units, like the prototype Gouf leading to the 07A, which leads to the 07B.

You'll have the ability to develop Doms before you get the ability to develop Gelgoogs, but the real question is whether Dom development is a prereq for Gelgoogs.

...and yes, I know that they're not good in Desert terrain. I just thought it was funny. Substitute Hizacks... or even Ground-type Gundams... if it makes the joke work better for you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bluemage142 posted:

You'll have the ability to develop Doms before you get the ability to develop Gelgoogs, but the real question is whether Dom development is a prereq for Gelgoogs.

This was exactly what I was asking, yes. I understand the tech dev mechanic; I lack perfect knowledge of the order in which development must occur. :cheers:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Jegan posted:

Standard Gelgoogs have movement issues in deserts, Doms don't.

Sing this to the tune of the Almond Joy commercials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeibzLZn2hU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

This video is relevant to this choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKqs1JLDbp4

Happy valentines day...

This is the second-best thing right after the abridged series. :haw:

SleazyBakeOven
Oct 4, 2011

Please, talk to me about Eberron! And by Eberron I mean Warforged. Really I just wanna talk about the Warforged.
A theme I'm noticing is that the federation heavily outclasses us in terms of resources and money (which makes total sense given the show). What I'm wondering is, with all the territory we've conquered, is that still the case? And if so, how?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SleazyBakeOven posted:

A theme I'm noticing is that the federation heavily outclasses us in terms of resources and money (which makes total sense given the show). What I'm wondering is, with all the territory we've conquered, is that still the case? And if so, how?

Non-bases provide only a very small amount of money and resources, most of it comes from bases, which the feddies still have a lot of. Probably getting closer to the point where we are getting as much or more than them though.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
We actually do get more money and material than the Federation does at this point of the game. However, this doesn't really matter because the AI cheats like a motherfucker.

Also, sorry for the lack of updates recently. I have the screenshots for the next update, but my time has been taken up entirely by Bravely Default and EDF 2025. Once I get those two out of my system, I'll get around to writing the next update.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Tobias Grant posted:

We actually do get more money and material than the Federation does at this point of the game. However, this doesn't really matter because the AI cheats like a motherfucker.

Is this the AI trying to pull canon out of its rear end even though it doesn't legitimately have the resources to do so?

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

SleazyBakeOven posted:

My understanding is that the Federation is going to outclass us economically until the end of the OYW. Part of that is the ridiculous cheating, but part of it is also tied to area held.

The FAQs and AARs I've read suggest that, as Tobias takes territory, the Federation won't so much stop crapping out boatloads of units as stop crapping out boatloads of expensive units. The more we take from them, the cheaper the units it produces.

We'll have to see if that theory pans out this game.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terpfen posted:

Is this the AI trying to pull canon out of its rear end even though it doesn't legitimately have the resources to do so?

It's probably more like the game designers refuse to let you steamroll an opponent so it cheats for "challenge," somewhat like a chess game where you play by conventional rules but every third pawn you capture comes back as a bishop. See how Kasparov handles that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Terpfen posted:

I'm pretty sure the AI always has unlimited cash/resources, and is just programmed to build cheaper units when it holds too few bases. Also, faction HQs like Jaburo, Side 3, and Axis (which the player can't attack until taking every other base and passing an attack plan) are usually the most valuable bases cash/resources-wise, though if I recall correctly, Zeon's HQ at Side 3 only provides cash and not resources. The only non-HQ base that even comes close as a moneymaker is Odessa, which provides a lot of resources and is also the first territory Tobias captured. To make up for the somewhat thick AI, the opponents get to ignore quite a few of the constraints that players have to labor under, and are given tons of advantages - for example, the AI always moves second, giving it a chance to look at the player's moves that turn and react accordingly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
so I finally had a chance to sit down and play Shin Gihren and my god. I have beaten Threat of Axis V, I have beaten Blood of Zeon. I don't know how to do ANYTHING in Shin Gihren, the entire system has changed and I am greatly confused.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Looks like Ramba Ral won't be chasing the Trojan Horse.

Also, Char has stopped throwing his temper tantrum and can be used again.

Last turn we hit a new tech level, so expect a lot of new stuff.

The Gouf Custom.

The Agguguy, the first of our Jaburo Assault suits.

The Z'Gok commander type.

Another upgrade for the Musais

And the Zanzibar.

Because I know what you people want, I double up on developing the Gouf Custom.

Status screens. Our numbers took a hit when I went on a scrapping spree, but nothing of any value was actually lost.

Garma's back in his old suit again.

I also put all of my free pilots (which included Char and Ramba Ral) into the Dodai Riders I had in Canada.

I go on an all out offensive to capture some more territory, specifically Greenland, Madagascar and Southeast Asia.

...That's a new Guntank.

Fly Mantas still get their poo poo wrecked by Dodai Riders.

The Guntank Two is a bit weaker than the MP Guntank, but it has more HP, and is much better at fighting enemies in close range than it's brother.

I don't like losing two units over that battle, but those Zakus are horribly outdated by this point, so it's wasn't really avoidable.

A Fly Manta squad flew over and killed another one, the bastard.

The rest of the battle is spent licking my wounds.

Well, at least the tanks can actually attack my Goufs this time, so it's not quite as insulting as last time.

And because I might as well, here's a gif of the Zaku Flipper in action. Thrilling!

Our newly upgraded Goufs make short work of the obsolete tanks and planes.

Those Guntanks look threatening, but otherwise this shouldn't be difficult.

After a few turns, the Guntanks and Guncannon walk into my Goufs range

:black101:

Very nice.

Things didn't go quite so well over here, with both the Guncannon and Depp Rogg surviving.

The rest of the battle went smoothly, with the few remaining survivors heading for the hills.

I was only able to pick off two submarines before the rest of the enemy force retreated to Greenland.

The only thing that happened here was the destruction of two Depp Roggs.

Nothing happened here.

The Feddies all fled north to the UK.

More Sabrefish for Delaz to slaughter.

---TURN 27---

Finished projects.

The Flight-Type Gouf

And the Zakrello.

New projects.

Doms!

Bigros!

Prototype Doms!

I know what you're thinking, since we can research Doms now, wouldn't it have been possible to get them in time to save Ramba Ral if we had chosen to send him after the Trojan Horse? The answer to that is no. Even doubling up on the research cost, it would take three turns to develop them, which is too much time. I would have needed to get them in the previous turn in order to have enough time to develop them.

Instead, I use my available money to double up on the Z'Gok S-type.

The Gouf flight type is essentially MS-07A Gouf that can fly without a Dodai. The only real reason to develop them is because they give you earlier access to Doms.

The Zakrello is a pretty decent Mobile Armor. Unfortunately, it's space only so it's usefulness in the One Year War is very limited.

Dudes dropping from space.

I move what water units that are in decent shape to follow the retreating units into Greenland. I also cover for the mistake I made in Africa, where I accidentally left an area next to enemy forces unguarded.

There's no escape from the Z'Gok squads! :unsmigghh:

Only two subs? How disappointing.

The rest of the battle went smoothly, and Greenland is now mine!

You have no idea how glad I am to finally have that area under my control.

We won in South America.

We won in Madagascar.

I accidentally left my forces within range of the Guntanks, and took severe casualties as a result.

After switching out the depleted squad for a fresh one, I went on the attack!

The results were extremely underwhelming...

drat it!

There we go! Another victory!

This will be a long battle, but not a hard one.

A Corebooster really wanted to be the first one to fight us.

The Dabude takes some potshots at some tanks.

The Gallop finishes off the Corebooster.

A few turns later, the tanks finally reach the Dabude.

The Guntanks also enter the range of my Mobile Suits, so they're not going to last for much longer.

Excellent.

I am glad I managed to cover my rear end in time.

The Sabrefish only just barely manages to survive. Oh well, I'll just have to finish it off next time.

Tobias Grant fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 7, 2014

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
*facepalms at the Zaku Flippers*

I take it their weapons just plain refuse to work above water?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I feel like I should know that ace in the Guncannon, but I don't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LEGO Genetics posted:

I feel like I should know that ace in the Guncannon, but I don't.

Lila, one of Jerid's dead girlfriends from Zeta. She was a OYW survivor.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
An fun fact, shield-wielding MS's are great because they are capable of blocking shots when they are in the front, very useful since that allows them to remove quite a bit of damage aimed at them.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Basarin posted:

*facepalms at the Zaku Flippers*

I take it their weapons just plain refuse to work above water?

Not actually amphibious, they're recon units. They have a range 1-5 gun that scans enemy units. They also have the best conventional scan and, like all recon units, can spread minovsky particles. They're good at melee, but you're generally not going to want them in the front lines.

Jegan fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 2, 2014

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Ah, fair enough.

...that "attack" animation just looks silly, though.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That's ACTION RECON, son :colbert:

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Zakrello. Strong, Fast, Durable. Relatively cheap, quick to build. It only has 3 problems, they don't stack, they're space only, and Zeon doesn't need them. On the other hand, the Federation would love to have them. Relatively cheap and quick to build was compared to Gundams, and the Federation is going to be spending some time fighting across space.

Gouf Flight Test Type. Not exactly bad, not worth the price. It's really only for getting Doms faster.

Tinkertonk
Sep 11, 2013
This has inspired me to watch everything related to the UC Timeline in chronological order since it's the one I'm least familiar with. I really only remember everything from Wing and onwards.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jegan posted:

Zakrello. Strong, Fast, Durable. Relatively cheap, quick to build. It only has 3 problems, they don't stack, they're space only, and Zeon doesn't need them. On the other hand, the Federation would love to have them. Relatively cheap and quick to build was compared to Gundams, and the Federation is going to be spending some time fighting across space.
Four problems. Problem number four is that it looks stupid as hell and I'm surprised aces let you make them pilot them.

Tinkertonk posted:

This has inspired me to watch everything related to the UC Timeline in chronological order since it's the one I'm least familiar with. I really only remember everything from Wing and onwards.

Watch in production order!

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Probably helps if you let them paint them

Note: There are no ace custom Zakrellos, this picture is from an ending in an earlier Gihren.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So I've tried out the Zudah a bit, from what I can see, the Zudah Command-type is actually a pretty nice suit.

I put Kelly Layzner in it and he soloed a Salamis Kai in two turns, it apparently gets 5 melee swings as well which makes it a pretty effective ship-killer before you get really good space stuff, not to mention it gets 11 movement and 32 mobility which is pretty huge as well, not to mention the 220% bonus.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Tinkertonk posted:

I would actually recommend watching in order of release. The animation keeps getting better, and the way some timeline gaps get filled in later becomes a little more interesting than if you took it in chronological order.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Terpfen posted:

I would actually recommend watching in order of release. The animation keeps getting better, and the way some timeline gaps get filled in later becomes a little more interesting than if you took it in chronological order.

But then F91 and Victory and loving G-SAVIOUR will kill his interest before he sees 08th MS Team and Unicorn!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I dunno, having started 08th Mobile Suit team, does it get better? The first three episodes were pretty meh.

Yes, thread, you've got me watching Gundam.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Night10194 posted:

I dunno, having started 08th Mobile Suit team, does it get better? The first three episodes were pretty meh.

Has Norris Packard started ripping everyone a new one in his Gouf yet?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Patter Song posted:

But then F91 and Victory and loving G-SAVIOUR will kill his interest before he sees 08th MS Team and Unicorn!

I don't think anyone would suggest watching G-Saviour ever.

I've come around to the line of thinking that late UC may as well be a separate continuity anyhow; there's very little in F91 or Victory to relate to what happened while Char and Amuro were still around. Some of side stories and manga link them together with things like Grey Stoke and the Gump, but that really doesn't add much anywhere.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Midjack posted:

I don't think anyone would suggest watching G-Saviour ever.

I've come around to the line of thinking that late UC may as well be a separate continuity anyhow; there's very little in F91 or Victory to relate to what happened while Char and Amuro were still around. Some of side stories and manga link them together with things like Grey Stoke and the Gump, but that really doesn't add much anywhere.
IIRC weren't most of the poo poo living conditions over on Jupiter basically caused by Earth neglecting them to focus on the One Year War?

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Patter Song posted:

I'm not going to say Victory Gundam is the greatest or anything but it's at least as good as 08th MS Team (average-pretty good depending on how you feel).

Edit: but yeah, I would treat Victory Gundam as a standalone show. If you want to watch all of U.C. by year of release you can skip it.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 4, 2014

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
People should watch Victory Gundam just to know why Tomino is Kill'Em All.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

GilliamYaeger posted:

Has Norris Packard started ripping everyone a new one in his Gouf yet?

And once he is done you should stop and if anyone tells you about a secret episode you tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

Tinkertonk posted:

I'm on the same odyssey, brother. Made it about halfway through ZZ so far... and I'm totally regretting it. WTF was Tomino ON?!
(And yes, I tried to watch the Episodes That Shall Not Be Named. Watched a good ten minutes of the first one, said 'screw this!', and skipped straight to ep. 16.)

Looking forward to reaching CCA- now, more than ever. I just finished building a Master Grade Nu Gundam.

Night10194 posted:

8th MS Team was a big letdown for me. Animation was nice, but the plot sort of meandered. An impressive feat, for a short OVA series.

I mean, first the MC's a rookie in space, then he's a rookie on Earth, then APSALUS OUT OF NOWHERE. From there, he goes all 'lovesick pacifist', then Norris starts tearing crap up and the Federation decides to be a collective bag of dicks... and then you have the secret episode. Which doesn't exist. Yeah.

Too much of the 'war is bad, mmkay?', and not enough 'fighting the good fight'. The good Gundam series strike a balance- this one doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
OK, I can see how people would defend Victory.

F91, though, is awful and the plot of having pseudo-Darth Vader plan to wipe out humanity by dropping millions of tiny robots with blades to individually kill every person was just facepalmingly stupid.

• Locked thread