Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Farecoal posted:

Counters are boring and I'm too lazy to try to learn what they mean.

Psh. Every Paradox game should use counters. Including Runemaster. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Some of the cosmetic dlc is on sale on amazon, steam codes naturally. I got American Dream for $1.25 even though its probably never gonna be a factor. Gotta catch em all.

Edit: Oh and the game itself is 75%

The American Dream actually has a purpose now that you can colonize enough of NA to form a colonial nation, start playing as them and forming the USA around the 1500s. The only problem is you won't really have any threats and you'll grow way too powerful too quickly.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I conquered Medina as Oman and was automatically entered into a war against the Ottomans on the side of sultanate I had just defeated. I couldn't peace out of the deal until the Ottomans took Medina and one of my provinces in Ethiopia for themselves, plus 600+ ducats in reparations. Now they hate me because I'm Shi'a and share a border, so I guess it's only a matter of time until they roll me over. The worst part is that before this war I was on pretty good terms with them and even had a royal marriage. It's my first time using ironman mode too and I kind of hate it now!

Edit: it's because Hedjaz somehow became my vassal, so I guess this is probably my fault somehow.

Inside Outside fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 27, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

brocretin posted:

This seems to include the pre-CoP DLC's, too, for any of ya'll that are missing Star and Crescent or whatnot.

^Certainly buy Men of War and Men of War Red Tide if you love good games because the Men of War saga is amazing!

PittTheElder posted:

They got it from having a lot of income and nothing to really spend it on. Pretty common in the new world. They could use it to build an army that would just dominate their neighbors, but the AI doesn't do that.

I wonder if you could attack stupid rich N.A. tribes, suck them dry and protectorate them and then wait until they accumulate enough money to de-protectorate and do the whole process again.

Is it even possible?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Psh. Every Paradox game should use counters. Including Runemaster. :colbert:

What's the NATO symbol for the Allfather?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mans posted:

I wonder if you could attack stupid rich N.A. tribes, suck them dry and protectorate them and then wait until they accumulate enough money to de-protectorate and do the whole process again.

Is it even possible?

I don't know, but probably. It doesn't work as well after the first time though, as their absolute incomes aren't very high, it's just that they've been hoarding nearly all of it for some hundred years.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Inside Outside posted:

I conquered Medina as Oman and was automatically entered into a war against the Ottomans on the side of sultanate I had just defeated. I couldn't peace out of the deal until the Ottomans took Medina and one of my provinces in Ethiopia for themselves, plus 600+ ducats in reparations. Now they hate me because I'm Shi'a and share a border, so I guess it's only a matter of time until they roll me over. The worst part is that before this war I was on pretty good terms with them and even had a royal marriage. It's my first time using ironman mode too and I kind of hate it now!

Edit: it's because Hedjaz somehow became my vassal, so I guess this is probably my fault somehow.

If you fully annex a country that has a vassal you will inherit those vassals. If you want to avoid that war, just keep your war target fully occupied until they peaced out with the Ottomans, if you fully occupy them then Ottomans can't get any warscore and it will likely be a white peace.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think forcing it to trigger in Saxony might be a bit much, Martin Luther was only born nearly 4 decades after the game's start. (Unless there are other reasons why Wittenberg has to be the place?) As a sort of compromise, I would suggest just limiting it to the HRE, since the peculiar political situation there was perfect for letting the Reformation build some momentum, plus it puts the Reformation right in the middle of Europe.

From what I remember he wrote most of his texts in Wittenberg/Saxony and Frederick (?) of Saxony protected Luther from the HRE.
I just think this whole part of the reformation could be fleshed out in the game and be less of a passive thing, instead of converting via religion tab maybe there could be more events for that.
The first province gets the reformation event, the owner has at least two choices: accept and support the reformator which would give you a reformation event chain or suppress/eradicate it which would cause a rebellion with the reformator as a leader. You could even try to simulate the conflicts this caused inside the HRE better, if the Emperor attacks a prince with the "cleansing heresy" CB the other princes could help the target, if they share the religion.
I don't think a -40 to +25 opinion is enough to reflect the conflict this all caused in the HRE.

As for the second part of the reformation, Huldrych Zwingli and his reformation of the Swiss churches caused some of the worst civil wars this country has seen, in the game the reformed faith is somewhat of an afterthought with little to no influence.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tahirovic posted:

From what I remember he wrote most of his texts in Wittenberg/Saxony and Frederick (?) of Saxony protected Luther from the HRE.
Frederick III is another guy who wasn't even born at the start of the game though, so neither of them should exist for players doing Grand Campaigns.

Tahirovic posted:

I just think this whole part of the reformation could be fleshed out in the game and be less of a passive thing, instead of converting via religion tab maybe there could be more events for that.
The first province gets the reformation event, the owner has at least two choices: accept and support the reformator which would give you a reformation event chain or suppress/eradicate it which would cause a rebellion with the reformator as a leader.
Given what you wrote above, with the whole protection of the reformer thing, I think there should be a decent chance the reformer just runs off to a neighboring prince and sets up shop there. I'm not sure a rebellion at that stage is very appropriate, that's something that happens as a result of reforms failing repeatedly, radicalizing the population. There should be plenty of princes in the HRE ready to protect a man who might challenge the Roman Catholic Church, and thus the Holy Roman Emperor.

Tahirovic posted:

You could even try to simulate the conflicts this caused inside the HRE better, if the Emperor attacks a prince with the "cleansing heresy" CB the other princes could help the target, if they share the religion.
I don't think a -40 to +25 opinion is enough to reflect the conflict this all caused in the HRE.
Yeah, a proper religious war mechanic really should be there. The historical one devastated Germany, derailed the Habsburg attempt at centralizing the HRE, and was an important step towards the modern conception of the sovereign state. Though at that point, you're also talking about making a mechanic for peace conferences really, with I suppose some special demands available for the 30 Years War analogue.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

They got it from having a lot of income and nothing to really spend it on. Pretty common in the new world. They could use it to build an army that would just dominate their neighbors, but the AI doesn't do that.

Perhaps that's something they should try to fix in future patches, seems like an unbalance to me. The way it happens, those nations are practically treasure boxes waiting to be looted.

I remember it used to work with the Incas and Aztecs and etc in the previous EUs: to attack then early on and get tons of gold. But it does makes sense that Incas and Aztecs would have lots of gold (they actually had), and they were a bit harder to conquer. A 2-province primitive nation in Canada should not be sitting on 1700 gold.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

Something like HOI4, I will probably pick up just to screw around with/support Paradox, but I won't buy any cosmetic DLC at all for. Partially because I'll probably not play it much at all, and partially because I will never, ever take it out of counter mode. In fact, I don't even understand why there is a non counter mode. :confused:

Counters are only as good as their visual design - sprite mode in HOI 2 actually worked better than counter mode in some respects because you could get a clean and quick picture of how many divisions were in a stack, and you could see their overall STR and ORG in the length and color of a health bar that counter mode would disable.

In HOI 3, counters were only better than sprite mode because sprite mode literally gave you less information than the CK2/EU4/Vic2 sprites - no morale/org, no total numbers, no estimation of strength, nada

Intuitively counters would/should be the last word on information displays in a WW2-focused game, and even in other Paradox games given how heavily combat happens and how relatively simplistic the unit types are, but it's very possible to design counters that don't really tell you much of anything better than well-designed sprites could

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Frederick III is another guy who wasn't even born at the start of the game though, so neither of them should exist for players doing Grand Campaigns.
Didn't think of that, as I don't know much about him other than he protected Luther.
The name isn't that important anyway, it's more about the general scenario where a reformer needed a prince to protect him from the emperor.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given what you wrote above, with the whole protection of the reformer thing, I think there should be a decent chance the reformer just runs off to a neighboring prince and sets up shop there. I'm not sure a rebellion at that stage is very appropriate, that's something that happens as a result of reforms failing repeatedly, radicalizing the population. There should be plenty of princes in the HRE ready to protect a man who might challenge the Roman Catholic Church, and thus the Holy Roman Emperor.
Yeah that's kinda what I meant, I didn't think of the exact details or mechanics. It's more about the general concept of the strife within the HRE during the reformation.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, a proper religious war mechanic really should be there. The historical one devastated Germany, derailed the Habsburg attempt at centralizing the HRE, and was an important step towards the modern conception of the sovereign state. Though at that point, you're also talking about making a mechanic for peace conferences really, with I suppose some special demands available for the 30 Years War analogue.
For some reason I am now thinking of the crisis system in VickyII, something like that might work for the HRE.
Maybe I feel like that because I grew up and still live in one of the affected countries, but in the current version the Reformation just seems to lack depth and it's kind of a shame. It's not even about it succeeding or failing, it's more about what happens on the way.

Currently the only reason to join the reformation is to avoid RSI :shrug:

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
What does it take to get a military rating over three stars?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Schwarbage posted:

What does it take to get a military rating over three stars?

I'm pretty sure it tops out at 3, I've never seen it go higher.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What building should I build to maximize the gold income from gold provinces?

By the way: should I bother much with building at all? Ive been building a lot, but its effects on my budget seems quite low.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Elias_Maluco posted:

By the way: should I bother much with building at all? Ive been building a lot, but its effects on my budget seems quite low.

The best bang for your buck comes from manufactories. Province income is not the clearest part of the game, but basically doubling your goods produced with a manufactory also doubles a bunch of other stuff, most notably production income and manpower.

Beyond that, it's a little more situational. Temples are always good, but the other Government buildings seem lovely. The Trade buildings are good if there's competition in your node, and I think some of them also boost goods produced, which is always nice. The Production buildings are good, but I don't really gently caress with them unless I'm rolling in admin points. The Naval buildings you probably want in a handful of dedicated shipbuilding provinces. The Military buildings seem weak to me.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 27, 2014

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Head straight for Mints/Stock Exchanges. They're expensive as all hell but in a province with 10+ base tax they're enormously powerful.

e: I'm dumb and missed the word gold in front of the word province until right as I hit submit :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Gold is special in that it doesn't have a Trade Value, it just converts straight to cash at a fixed value. So the only thing that increases Gold income is the Goods Produced. This is only increased by Workshops and Treasuries. A manufactory would be huge, because those increase Goods Produced by 100%, but there isn't one you can build on a province producing Gold.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 27, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Got it, thank you for the responses.

On a related note, another dumb question about trade: I got some good provinces in Asia producing valuable stuff (tea, spices etc), but I have no merchant there anywhere. Am I getting any income from their trade or I would have to send a merchant to collect on their node?

Also, I missing just one requirement for one of those "triggered modifiers", "East Indian Trade Route": "Any active trade node" on any of the four listed provinces. How should I do that? Do I have to have a merchant in the node?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

On a related note, another dumb question about trade: I got some good provinces in Asia producing valuable stuff (tea, spices etc), but I have no merchant there anywhere. Am I getting any income from their trade or I would have to send a merchant to collect on their node?

You would have to either collect from that node or forward the trade value to a location where you collect. Remember that gathering in a location that you do not have your capital in significantly lowers your trade power in that node, and if you have significant competition there is likely a waste of a merchant.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, I missing just one requirement for one of those "triggered modifiers", "East Indian Trade Route": "Any active trade node" on any of the four listed provinces. How should I do that? Do I have to have a merchant in the node?

Yes, I believe so.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Baudin posted:

You would have to either collect from that node or forward the trade value to a location where you collect. Remember that gathering in a location that you do not have your capital in significantly lowers your trade power in that node, and if you have significant competition there is likely a waste of a merchant.

But the node is in China, my capital node is Sevilla. How can I steer to such a distance? There are dozens of nodes along the way.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

But the node is in China, my capital node is Sevilla. How can I steer to such a distance? There are dozens of nodes along the way.

How many merchants do you have, and do you control the west coast of Africa?

Edit: that's kind of a glib response. If you can control an entire trade node slightly downstream of your provinces (or within the provinces' trade node itself) use that to collect from and suck up the penalties. If you can't gain the majority or a decent chunk of trade power I would not bother(remembering that it works based on the proportion of trade power present in the node, so if no one else is there you get 100% of the income, but if they have ships and provinces giving them 30% of the trade power after adjustments they take in that amount of the income).

Further Edit: the reason why I asked about the west coast of Africa is the entire collection of trade nodes act as a pipe - if no other power controls the nodes trade value will flow uncollected from one end to the other. This is one reason why I like to try to clamp down on potential colonization by other nations as Castille if at all possible. Then again I usually try to expand in as many directions as I possibly can as Castille regardless.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 27, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bold Robot posted:

The best bang for your buck comes from manufactories. Province income is not the clearest part of the game, but basically doubling your goods produced with a manufactory also doubles a bunch of other stuff, most notably production income and manpower.

Beyond that, it's a little more situational. Temples are always good, but the other Government buildings seem lovely. The Trade buildings are good if there's competition in your node, and I think some of them also boost goods produced, which is always nice. The Production buildings are good, but I don't really gently caress with them unless I'm rolling in admin points. The Naval buildings you probably want in a handful of dedicated shipbuilding provinces. The Military buildings seem weak to me.

Temples are very, very strong, because they count the same way as base tax for purposes of increasing your force-limits.

The +manpower/-unit cost buildings are actually quite useful, because, if I understand correctly, they actually reduce the cost of all units built in their province: not just at the time of construction, but for upkeep purposes as well. That means that building a few armories/training fields/barracks in specific provinces, and trying to build all or nearly all of your army in those provinces, means significant long-term savings. I think.

Also worth nothing that the 'manpower increase' they give is to manpower regain rate, which is 1/10th of your max manpower. So an armory actually gives +250 max manpower (before modifiers), not the +25 it's listed as. It can add up.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hmm, I didn't think military units had any way of "knowing" where they're from, except their names.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, you either need a merchant there, or you need be the strongest power in that node. Can't quite remember.

As for how to get your trade back to Europe, take a close look at the trade network (in the Trade map mode). You'll see that there's a few critical junctions, notably the Gulf of Aden. As long as you can steer trade around Africa in Aden, most of the nodes around Africa only have one exit, so it just sort of flow out and around. Once it reaches West Africa you may need to employ a merchant there to direct it to Sevilla specifically.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

PleasingFungus posted:

The +manpower/-unit cost buildings are actually quite useful, because, if I understand correctly, they actually reduce the cost of all units built in their province: not just at the time of construction, but for upkeep purposes as well. That means that building a few armories/training fields/barracks in specific provinces, and trying to build all or nearly all of your army in those provinces, means significant long-term savings. I think.

Yepp, the military line of buildings reduce upkeep as well. I think it also does so for mercs, but I mostly use them as disposable siege blankets to be removed once the war is over, so I haven't tested it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Baudin posted:

How many merchants do you have, and do you control the west coast of Africa?

Edit: that's kind of a glib response. If you can control an entire trade node slightly downstream of your provinces (or within the provinces' trade node itself) use that to collect from and suck up the penalties. If you can't gain the majority or a decent chunk of trade power I would not bother(remembering that it works based on the proportion of trade power present in the node, so if no one else is there you get 100% of the income, but if they have ships and provinces giving them 30% of the trade power after adjustments they take in that amount of the income).

Further Edit: the reason why I asked about the west coast of Africa is the entire collection of trade nodes act as a pipe - if no other power controls the nodes trade value will flow uncollected from one end to the other. This is one reason why I like to try to clamp down on potential colonization by other nations as Castille if at all possible. Then again I usually try to expand in as many directions as I possibly can as Castille regardless.

I have 4 merchants, and yes, I do control most of it. I have provinces on every node on west Africa and most of those little african nations are my protectorates. Apart from me, only Castille has a bunch of provinces, but only by the north.

So I guess I could steer it to Seville, then. I will try it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have 4 merchants, and yes, I do control most of it. I have provinces on every node on west Africa and most of those little african nations are my protectorates. Apart from me, only Castille has a bunch of provinces, but only by the north.

Castile having provinces or protectorates on the route really isn't a problem, since they're almost certainly trying to steer back to Sevilla as well. Similarly, other European powers in East or South Africa are no big deal either.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
So Jihad is now quite a lot easier. You just need 500 provinces, all of them Sunni:

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I practiced playing the Timurids six times in preparation for a big multiplayer game. A couple of times Persian rebels were a slight issue before I could get Delhi, but it was never too difficult so I decided I wouldn't bother making them a vassal on day one...
Then the 'real thing' comes around... A month in my ruler dies along with another bad event, -2 stability. This is as my armies are still moving to Delhi. Rebels loving everywhere. Then, when I do reach Delhi, my army with a decent leader is slaughtered by the mountain penalties and to crippled to do anything before every possible type of rebel appears in massive numbers. Then the Golden Horde has its own war I can't afford to lose the stability too and they gently caress it up, so I'm being invaded on two borders and engulfed in rebels from the others. Even with help from my ally Oman, my armies were dying to rebels a tenth of their numbers.

Long story short, now I'm Shiite and Persia.
Vast hordes, you have failed me :(

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Does the Byzantium strategy in the OP no longer work? I vassalised Albania and then tried to peace out with the Ottomans but the cancel vassal button was greyed out and so I couldn't end the war.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah there's a feels-like-bug-but-may-be-intended interaction with inherited wars where you are unable to make most types of peace offerings. The basic strategy still works but you can't get the guaranteed 5 year truce any more.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I don't think you can cancel vassals when you still have a truce with them.

CaptainBob
Jul 20, 2013
End of an MP session with some friends. Everything went according to plan. :ohdear:

(ignore the -3 stab, I declared war on Castille for no reason right before)
Not seen: Hungary is under a personal union with France.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

8)

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
I haven't really played since 1.5 was released, but I've just got a pop-up to say that AI Poland wants to sell me Memel (I'm Brandenburg).
I've never seen the AI do that, is this a new thing?

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Its happened to me, only when the other nation has 0 chance of coring the province.

Tintifax
Aug 16, 2012

After having this game sit in my Steam library for months, I'm now finally trying to get into it. Should I buy Conquest of Paradise right now, even if currently I'm not much interested in a randomized America or playing as natives? Does it add something else to the game which I will want or can I wait until a Steam sale?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

When does Spain usually come and gently caress history up by colonizing eastern siberia? I'm debating over either filling out the central area as I go or rushing to the coastline.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tintifax posted:

After having this game sit in my Steam library for months, I'm now finally trying to get into it. Should I buy Conquest of Paradise right now, even if currently I'm not much interested in a randomized America or playing as natives? Does it add something else to the game which I will want or can I wait until a Steam sale?

No don't bother then because you still get most of the features added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Tintifax posted:

If you don't want to do any of those, You can definetly wait until the sale.

• Locked thread