Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Chronojam posted:

The monster doesn't heal when it manages to KO you.

Pretty sure he means being KO-ed three times and the quest being cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MEAT! posted:

Thinking about picking up a 3DSXL. I'm trying to decide between picking up a sealed new mario & muigi special edition for $120 or a used mario and luigi special edition with carts of ocarina of time, a link between worlds, okami den, and digital copies of mario & luigi and pokemon Y for $200.

I'm undecided because I"m not 100% sure on how digital copies work with accounts and stuff. I'm guessing the Nintendo Network account like an apple store or itunes account so if I want to switch to my own I'm screwed?

I'm not quite sure, but I was under the impression that performing a system transfer merges the two accounts together, so that you get to keep the games already on the system. That's how it works when you buy a new 3DS with digital purchases already on it, but it may not be the same when it's an actual account.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Chronojam posted:

The monster doesn't heal when it manages to KO you.

Sometimes you fail quests because you get knocked out too many times.

Getting knocked out mid quest is a pain in the arse but eh, it happens. If I get 30 minutes in and realise I didn't bring enough healing items, I just can't be bothered to pick it up again for a few months.

Shelf Adventure fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 2, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

MEAT! posted:

Thinking about picking up a 3DSXL. I'm trying to decide between picking up a sealed new mario & muigi special edition for $120 or a used mario and luigi special edition with carts of ocarina of time, a link between worlds, okami den, and digital copies of mario & luigi and pokemon Y for $200.

I'm undecided because I"m not 100% sure on how digital copies work with accounts and stuff. I'm guessing the Nintendo Network account like an apple store or itunes account so if I want to switch to my own I'm screwed?

Just found this on Nintendo's website about the matter, if you haven't already made your purchase:

Stuff posted:

What Is Transferred During the System Transfer Process?

Answer:
Applies To: Transfer From Nintendo 3DS

Answer

For the most part, information on the target system (system being transferred to) will be overwritten by the information on the source system (system being transferred from). See below for specific details, or click here for more information:
•All content downloaded via the eShop on both systems (DSiWare, Ambassador games and status, 3DS Downloadable software, etc) will be combined together onto the target system.
•After the transfer is complete, titles will be available to re-download from the Nintendo eShop on the target system.
•Any game data that is duplicated on both systems is overwritten by the data on the source system.
•Any games and funds purchased with the Nintendo eShop will no longer be playable on the system they were transferred from.
•The eShop balance from both systems is combined together. (Total amount cannot exceed $200 or the transfer will be canceled.)
•Data associated with any pre-installed software or applications (Face Raiders, Streetpass Mii Plaza, etc). Only the data associated with the source system is retained.
•Pre-installed games (Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land) are treated as a standard Nintendo eShop game license. The license will be on the target system once the transfer is complete.
•These titles are stored on the SD card of the target system, so if the SD card is switched out, formatted, or removed, the title will need to be redownloaded after the transfer is complete. (How to)
•Photos, Videos, and Sound files
•Any photo and sound files that exist on the target system’s internal memory will be overwritten. However, photo and sound files saved to the target system’s SD Card are still retained.
•System Settings from the source system (Parental Controls, Internet settings, etc)
•Save data associated to DSiWare and Nintendo 3DS Downloads
•The WFC ID associated to DS online games.
•Friend List data.
•Swapnote data, including unique stationary.

Mind you, that might've been affected by the subsequent merge of systems and nintendo IDs. Moreover, if you're not transferring from another 3DS, and will just have the XL, then yeah you won't be able to keep the digital games because they won't be tied to your account - and there's no way of transferring licenses on system, as far as I'm aware.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Louisgod posted:

Take this as you will but I loving hate Monster Hunter and think it's extraordinarily boring. I have the full version and still think it sucks but people claim it's this amazing game that is deep but wow I just don't see it. I expect to be flamed for these opinions of mine, again.

I like the fight mechanics of the game and the sheer ridiculousness of it all. I really wanted to like the whole game because I also enjoy item farming and crafting to some extent, but I really don't feel like killing this giant ridiculous monster 28+ times (each fight lasting 20+ minutes) in order to collect its colon intact so I can craft half a boot which will help me fight the next bigger monster 45 times so I can hack off its left eyebrow scale to create this new helmet which will help with the next monster.

Also, I think I'd enjoy the game a lot more if I could play it with other people (i.e. online), so for some reason I still have hope that I'll actually enjoy MH4.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Monster Hunter fans will also recommend the game to anyone for any reason. Asking for a recommendation on a game nothing like Monster Hunter? Someone will say Monster Hunter.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Question, is it possible for someone to gift the games they get from registering their 3ds club nintendo code?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can give someone the code to enter on their own system.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

All this talk about free Pokemon games I can't get got me curious about my region's Club Nintendo catalog and...

Look at this shameful thing: http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/?locale=it_IT

I guess there's a couple nifty things. The Game&Watch stuff is okay, and there's the Mario Galaxy soundtrack, but the rest is just :v:

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

AlmightyBob posted:

Dark Souls fans will also recommend the game to anyone for any reason. Asking for a recommendation on a game nothing like Dark Souls? Someone will say Dark Souls.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Toiwat posted:

All this talk about free Pokemon games I can't get got me curious about my region's Club Nintendo catalog and...

I guess there's a couple nifty things. The Game&Watch stuff is okay, and there's the Mario Galaxy soundtrack, but the rest is just :v:

I'm going to be honest: that's arguably better than the American store.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

majormonotone posted:

I'm going to be honest: that's arguably better than the American store.

Those key chains are pretty cute. :shobon:

I am disappointed, however, that the Game Sock™ has disappeared.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

This is also true.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AlmightyBob posted:

fans will also recommend the game to anyone for any reason. Asking for a recommendation on a game nothing like the game? Someone will say the game.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Some people just really like Michael Douglas. :shrug:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Just a wild guess, but the Mario/Luigi Hat 3DS pouches don't fit an XL?

I refuse to get a case for my XL, so it has its fair share of scratches. I wish they put up that pouch again (the red/blue mario one)

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Sober posted:

I refuse to get a case for my XL, so it has its fair share of scratches. I wish they put up that pouch again (the red/blue mario one)

I doubt it will. I got this cute Peach case and it's pretty great, though! (It says DS but it means, like the original DS. So it fits my XL just fine.)

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Sober posted:

Someone sent me this link a few pages back when I asked about something for my zelda xl, and it's perfect. Small, thin, form fitting with a little pocket.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/nintendo/nintendo-3ds.php

Mind you, the suede bag, not the big expensive case.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I prefer to use the back pocket of my skinny jeans (faded, boot cut) to hold my XL. That's what we're talking about right?

Picked up Donkey Kong Country 3D and I'm having fun with it. Some of the level design is really awesome. I also like how hard it is sometimes, you can't just stroll through every level.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Opinionated posted:

Picked up Donkey Kong Country 3D and I'm having fun with it. Some of the level design is really awesome. I also like how hard it is sometimes, you can't just stroll through every level.

I can't decide if I want this on 3DS or the Wii. DKC is a game that seems like it would just be more enjoyable to play on a big screen, regardless of the motion controls. What does everyone else think?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Opinionated posted:

I prefer to use the back pocket of my skinny jeans (faded, boot cut) to hold my XL. That's what we're talking about right?

I grabbed it to take advantage of the pokemon deal and I died a few times on the first world. poo poo requires you to pay attention!

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Grump posted:

I can't decide if I want this on 3DS or the Wii. DKC is a game that seems like it would just be more enjoyable to play on a big screen, regardless of the motion controls. What does everyone else think?

I beat it on the Wii and the waggle controls did hamper my enjoyment somewhat. It's mapped to roll so if happen to move the controller in just the wrong way when you're running, you'll roll and probably die by spikes or pit. Definitely get it on the 3DS.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Grump posted:

It depends on whether you think you can get used to shaking the remote to roll, since that's what it is mapped to. I completed it fine but it was a learning curve since, unlike New Super Mario Bros. Wii where shaking to fly with the propeller hat only occasionally happens, you'll find yourself wanting to roll constantly. I guess if you have that homebrew thing on your Wii to re-map buttons that works as well, I don't know the particulars on that.

Haven't played it on the 3DS, but I'm tempted. It's a really good game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
And I'm going to say that I got well over 100% in the Wii version and can count the number of times I got hosed over by the motion controls on a single hand. Although I've heard that using the Wiimote alone is less reliable than Wiimote/Nunchuck for motion controls, and I used the Nunchuck so :iiam:

Of course, you can just use a code to remap the roll to a button, so if you can do that then definitely go with the Wii version.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 3, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii version is prettier, runs at 60FPS and is better suited to local co-op. 3DS version has easy mode, no waggle, extra stages and stereoscopic 3D.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Would anyone recommend Bugs Vs Tanks? I'm fine with something simple and full of action, and I don't mind short games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would go with the Wii version. The motion controls are kind of a pain at first but I had no problems once I switched to Wii Remote/Nunchuk.

But the correct option is actually to buy a Wii U and Tropical Freeze because it's one of the best platformers I've ever played.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you have homebrew on your Wii (which I would recommend anyway so you can put games on an eternal HD), you can set it so that DKCR uses a classic controller. Obviously a lot more work but it's hardly like DKCR is the only Wii game to greatly benefit from Ocarina tweaks so I think it is worth it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Toiwat posted:

Luxury! The Australian Club Nintendo Catalogue has a full and complete range of crap, save for the Mario Hat.

http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/?locale=en_AU

NoE, if you're going to host our Club Nintendo website, just give us access to your toys as well :negative:.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

cobalt impurity posted:

Those key chains are pretty cute. :shobon:

They might be cute but since registering a 3DS game nets you 250 stars, so those key chains are worth almost 7 3DS games.

I mean, I get it, it's bonus stuff, don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all, but those values are atrocious.

e: ^^^^ Ouch. poo poo, guess I can't complain. Still, even registering all my stuff, I'm still short for the cool stuff. :(

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 3, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Help Im Alive posted:

But the correct option is actually to buy a Wii U and Tropical Freeze because it's one of the best platformers I've ever played.

Yeah this. One of the best games I've ever played, period.

I need to grab DKCR on the 3DS sometime soon. I had it on the Wii but never got into it for some reason. It seems like a good pairing with the Wii U game now.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Its currently better than what the US Club Nintendo has to offer. They have tons of crap (Grill-off with Ultra Hand??) and the good items, like the 3DS XL chargers, they only had like 100 of those.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Mercury Crusader posted:

I guess if you have that homebrew thing on your Wii to re-map buttons that works as well, I don't know the particulars on that.

Yeah; I found this article, but I'm not really sure what to do. I'm assuming I have to download this thing, put it on an SD Card and then put the SD card in my Wii?

Has anyone done this? Can you help me out?

e; is talking about this against forum rules?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Toiwat posted:

Don't get too excited. Club Nintendo USA isn't much better and prior to the Pokemon deal, we felt like Europe got the better end of the stick.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Grump posted:

I'd suggest the 3DS. Besides the additional levels, there's an easy mode if you want (the original mode is there too though), the waggle controls are gone and the 3D looks amazing. Honestly the sweet 3D makes up for the lack of it being on a big screen. It really feels like you're in a huge vast jungle in a lot of the stages.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

majormonotone posted:

I doubt it will. I got this cute Peach case and it's pretty great, though! (It says DS but it means, like the original DS. So it fits my XL just fine.)

That's the case I used until I replaced it with the grey and orange one I got. I want to switch back, but I can't remember where I put it. It's a great case, though, if a little bit thick.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Grump posted:

Yeah; I found this article, but I'm not really sure what to do. I'm assuming I have to download this thing, put it on an SD Card and then put the SD card in my Wii?

Has anyone done this? Can you help me out?

e; is talking about this against forum rules?

There's a Wii Homebrew thread that can probably help you out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075676

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I would just make the Club Nintendo yearly gift something that's both creative and has a high-dollar resale value on the secondary market, making players see Platinum as a value but not as a necessity.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Grump posted:

Etrian Odyssey seems neat, but not something I could play frequently. I've lost my tolerance for RPGs over the past couple of years. The last one I played was Ni No Kuni, and I could only finish that game because of it's atmosphere, aesthetics, and music.

The EO4 demo is the actual game up through the first dungeon I think, and lets you transfer your data to the full version if you ever buy it, so it's as good of an indicator of if you'll like the full game as you're gonna get. I don't think you should base your opinion on it versus your average jRPG, because it feels very Western styled to me for the most part.

quote:

Is there anything else on the 3DS shop that's worth trying? I looked up Professor Layton on Youtube, but that looks really dialogue-heavy, and I'm just looking for a game to kill time, not something with plot-heavy narrative.

If you want to know what a Layton game is like, get one of the original DS ones. They're basically a collection of puzzles and brain teasers with an easily skippable plot stringing them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Would anyone recommend Bugs Vs Tanks? I'm fine with something simple and full of action, and I don't mind short games.

Yes. It's dumb and simple and full of paint and tank parts to collect. It's my current bathroom game. Also the only game I know off hand where the Nazi's are the protagonists so that's a novelty in and of itself.

• Locked thread