Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
We know that the actors who played Rorge and Biter will be returning, so it's likely that they will have their encounter with Brienne during the season. That's certainly one option as a season climax, but that would entail a Lady Stoneheart encounter at the beginning of season 5. Brienne's fate being left up in the air works better as a season finale cliffhanger.

Lady Stoneheart's Frey-hanging introduction could also occur in an earlier episode, which would still provide a big shock to viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The one main hurdle is that if Pod is going to take off with Brienne, they'll have to find some reason for him to abandon Tyrion before his escape from King's Landing, which isn't taking place until really late in the season. In the book he follows her because he hears that she's looking for Sansa and thinks that she might find Tyrion as well. I'm not sure what kind of reason they could come up with given that his loyalty to Tyrion has been emphasized quite a bit so far. That said, we do know that they filmed some scenes with Brienne and Pod together this season, so unless they're from really late in Episode 10 I suppose it's likely that they did find an excuse for him to take off early.

Honestly I don't think it would be worth it to accelerate Brienne's storyline that much. There are plenty of climaxes for the end of the season already, may as well save something for Season 5. Rorge and Biter being back this season is interesting, but I wonder if they might have her fighting them as a stand-in for the fight with the other Brave Companions (Shagwell et al.) from AFFC. The situation is a bit different from the book since Brienne never actually encountered Rorge and Biter on the show. I feel like Locke would be the natural candidate to fill in for the actual climactic battle where she gets badly injured and picked up by the brotherhood, but I seem to remember reading some unconfirmed rumour that he's going to end up at the Wall somehow this season? Which doesn't really make much sense to me, but whatever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

colonel_korn posted:

The one main hurdle is that if Pod is going to take off with Brienne, they'll have to find some reason for him to abandon Tyrion before his escape from King's Landing, which isn't taking place until really late in the season.

Pod can leave as early as episode 4 if Tyrion is jailed for Joffrey's murder. Tyrion might even order him to go so he doesn't get caught in the fallout.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Maybe Tyrion will send Pod with Brienne to find Sansa and bring her back to prove his innocence? That would put Pod at odds with Brienne, but it's not like Tyrion has that many friends he can count on.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Pod will just head out on his own coming of age story where he thinks he has to "make the eight". He runs into a familiar face, Brienne, who teaches him a few things about life, about love, and most importantly about friendship. Then they both get kidnapped by Lady Stoneheart.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jedit posted:

Pod can leave as early as episode 4 if Tyrion is jailed for Joffrey's murder. Tyrion might even order him to go so he doesn't get caught in the fallout.

This is what I think would happen. Tyrion is honestly afraid for Pod, that he's not going to get out of this, and wants him sent far away with someone who he can trust.

I'd not be surprised if they add Gendry to that group too, because he's not going to want to hang out in Kings Landing considering how every other known bastard of Robert's met terrible ends. He'll want to get out, and Brianne offers a good way to do that and keeps him in on one of the main plotlines.

Slynt should be showing up at the Wall this season right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Beeez posted:

Brienne's story can easily have bits added onto it. Some of the show's best material has been stuff that isn't really adapted from anything. I think it loses something if Lady Stoneheart is introduced only when she captures those two. She needs to be introduced hanging Freys in the woods.
Yeah, I agree. If she starts out attacking the good guys she loses a lot, the arc is an important one.

OH HOLY poo poo CATELYN'S ALIVE SORT OF WHAFUCK -> hahaha yeah, kill those fukken Freys, zombie Cat -> ...oh gently caress -- keep that, y'know?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I always imagined the last 'oh poo poo' shot of series 4 would be a closeup of Stoneheart's face, after the Freys are dragged in front of a mysterious figure. That wouldn't really work if it were Brienne, since you'd need the whole hanging bit to happen afterwards.

And what the hell would Brienne do for the next two or three seasons if get to that point so quickly? They'd have to start making poo poo up for her to do.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

I'd not be surprised if they add Gendry to that group too, because he's not going to want to hang out in Kings Landing considering how every other known bastard of Robert's met terrible ends. He'll want to get out, and Brianne offers a good way to do that and keeps him in on one of the main plotlines.

I thought Show Gendry was with Stannis? Did he get let go and sent to King's Landing?

As a side note, all this Brienne talk has got me excited for Randyll Tarly, presumably in Season 5. He's one of my favorite characters in the book for being such a dick.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

timp posted:

I thought Show Gendry was with Stannis? Did he get let go and sent to King's Landing?

As a side note, all this Brienne talk has got me excited for Randyll Tarly, presumably in Season 5. He's one of my favorite characters in the book for being such a dick.

Gendry got sent away somewhere that I don't remember but I guess it was King's Landing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

computer parts posted:

Gendry got sent away somewhere that I don't remember but I guess it was King's Landing.

Davos put him in a boat and told him second star on the right and straight on until morning to reach Kings Landing.

And oh yea, Tarly is one of the characters I'm most looking forward too in season 5. He needs to be a dick but a component dick.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ballz posted:

Edit: Although the more I think about it, the more it being Brienne and Pod makes sense. I really can't see the show stretching out "I'm searching for a highborn maiden of three-and-ten, with blue eyes and auburn hair, possibly traveling with a fool" for an entire loving season.

They should do it in parallel with "Where do whores go?"

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
"How will the TV show tell story X while remaining true to these books we despise so much"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

rypakal posted:

"How will the TV show tell story X while remaining true to these books we despise so much"

Wrong thread I think.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Somedays I find it difficult to tell which thread has the cock and which the oval office. :shrug:

Beeez
May 28, 2012
And which thread is Sweets.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Wrong thread I think.

No, 90% of the people in this thread hate books 4 and 5 too. That Other thread hates them all.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think people here just hate Brienne's chapters (a laughably wrong opinion) and Tyrion's chapters (an acceptable opinion). At least that's my impression of the popular opinion around here.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I only dislike AFFC and ADWD for the overlong Dorne and Greyjoy chapters. Other than those, the story is slower but not bad. And I don't see how anyone could dislike Tyrion's chapters.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
They are allpretty good honestly. People are angry and annoyed that characters changed a bunch after traumatic events abd also that the book took a long rear end time and also that dany and Jon try to do the right thing

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Steve2911 posted:

I only dislike AFFC and ADWD for the overlong Dorne and Greyjoy chapters. Other than those, the story is slower but not bad. And I don't see how anyone could dislike Tyrion's chapters.

Tyrion on the boat was pretty boring. You can only travel so much in a book series before it becomes tedious. Tolkien had to break up the traveling parts over and over and over to keep LOTR readable but GRRM definitely fell victim to it with Tyrion's chapters.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

There is a bunch of other poo poo happening in tyrion's travel chapters though.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Doltos posted:

Tyrion on the boat was pretty boring. You can only travel so much in a book series before it becomes tedious. Tolkien had to break up the traveling parts over and over and over to keep LOTR readable but GRRM definitely fell victim to it with Tyrion's chapters.

Traveling stories can be pretty exciting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tyrion's travels are broken up with other characters' chapters. It's not like you have to read all of his chapters at once. Brienne's chapters were mostly walking about aimlessly, but because you had so much going on between them it felt nice to check in on how one of the best characters was getting on, even if they weren't making much progress.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jsoh posted:

There is a bunch of other poo poo happening in tyrion's travel chapters though.

Yeah I mean it's not like season 2 of The Walking Dead, he gets into fights with dangerous characters and discovers one of the most important reveals of the series thus far.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Both were about introducing new characters (aegon, smallfolk, high sparrow, aegon's posse) and about self reflection a bit also.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Steve2911 posted:

I always imagined the last 'oh poo poo' shot of series 4 would be a closeup of Stoneheart's face, after the Freys are dragged in front of a mysterious figure. That wouldn't really work if it were Brienne, since you'd need the whole hanging bit to happen afterwards.

And what the hell would Brienne do for the next two or three seasons if get to that point so quickly? They'd have to start making poo poo up for her to do.

Nothing. End on hanging, leave people assuming she's dead for several years, bring her back later when it turns out she changed her mind on the whole hanging thing

y'know, like book readers experienced (only quicker)

In all seriousness though, this show has such a huge ensemble case that you can afford to shift focus, and even drop characters from the show entirely for one, two or several episodes. Dropping a character entirely for a season would be unusual, but not completely out there, especially if you want to have a big fakeout death thing going on.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

After all the stuff at the end of this upcoming season, imagine HBO forcing the tv watchers to wait one year and a half instead of one to watch the next season (with no scene featuring the wall/daenerys/tyrion) and then two years for the following season featuring drunk puking Tyrion, Pretty Pig, the Dwarf's Penny and the amazing man-bear, Daenerys "do i bleed in the swamp" Targaryen and Captain I-am-my-dad-son and his band of merry backstabberd. All that stuff ending on massive blue balls before 2 apparently already filmed massive battles and a crucial plot point.

And during all that time, they keep telling you "it's coming next year/month, exactly like with the first three seasons" and then when you think they are going to announce it because they have a big GRRM announcement, you get "American Football with George!" or the new Wildcards tv special. And maybe a good Dunk&Egg episode.

Even if the seasons are good, i doubt you will have tons of people praising them fairly until someone do a "chronological" cut.

Fatkraken posted:

Nothing. End on hanging, leave people assuming she's dead for several years, bring her back later when it turns out she changed her mind on the whole hanging thing
You mean like they didn't do with Theon/Reek.

Steve2911 posted:

Tyrion's travels are broken up with other characters' chapters. It's not like you have to read all of his chapters at once. Brienne's chapters were mostly walking about aimlessly, but because you had so much going on between them it felt nice to check in on how one of the best characters was getting on, even if they weren't making much progress.
It's worse because you know where Sansa and Arya are (not even close of where Brienne think they are). Her journey is more interesting their her intended destination and i actually enjoy her chapters but i am not surprised many people don't. Also it's not really what most people waited a few years to read.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 3, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So a bunch of bitching that literally does not matter if you started the series within the past 5 years or so.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

y'know, like book readers experienced (only quicker)

In all seriousness though, this show has such a huge ensemble case that you can afford to shift focus, and even drop characters from the show entirely for one, two or several episodes. Dropping a character entirely for a season would be unusual, but not completely out there, especially if you want to have a big fakeout death thing going on.

The thing is if you look at the realities of the show, with both Jamie and Theon (seasons 2 and 3 respectively) they created a whole bunch of scenes where in the books they largely disappear from sight because they need to give the actors work and so the audience doesn't forget them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I was going to say; it's a shame TV folk wont get the reveal of a completely destroyed Theon in series 5/6, but it wouldn't have been realistic to leave the actor out of the show for that long. He might not have wanted to return, there would be a risk that audience wouldn't remember who the hell he is etc.

What they did was unfortunate, but it made sense. And it's kind of cool to see the torture actually happening for those of us that only experienced it through exposition in the books.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

computer parts posted:

So a bunch of bitching that literally does not matter if you started the series within the past 5 years or so.
Yes. Early adopters always get screwed.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Alchenar posted:

The thing is if you look at the realities of the show, with both Jamie and Theon (seasons 2 and 3 respectively) they created a whole bunch of scenes where in the books they largely disappear from sight because they need to give the actors work and so the audience doesn't forget them.

True, but actually fake-killing a character on screen is a little different. You probably couldn't get away with an entire season of it, but maybe having Brienne reappear five or six episodes after she "dies" would work, other shows have done multi-episode fakeout character deaths. Theon couldn't be done the same way as in the books because we spent time with Reek prior to the reveal, which works in text but not with actors, and Jaime was never implied to definitely be dead.

Not saying they'll definitely do it this way, but it's a possibility

Really so many of these problems are coming about because characters are running out of material. It must be incredibly frustrating for the showrunners to have to make up bullshit for them to do that won't impact possible future directions while GRRM plods his way through book 6

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Steve2911 posted:

The other characters are also traveling though. Arya to Bravos, Brienne running around with Jamie, the kids going up north to get Bran is second sight, Rickon going to Skaagos, the Dorne people traveling, people traveling through Dorne, Victarion, etc. I mean even with cases like Danny she literally just got done traveling everywhere in the fourth book. I'm not complaining, I love the books, but he definitely traveled a bit too much and seemed to get caught in the loop even though he spaced it out a bit with the self-reflection and introduction of new characters.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Doltos posted:

The other characters are also traveling though. Arya to Bravos, Brienne running around with Jamie, the kids going up north to get Bran is second sight, Rickon going to Skaagos, the Dorne people traveling, people traveling through Dorne, Victarion, etc. I mean even with cases like Danny she literally just got done traveling everywhere in the fourth book. I'm not complaining, I love the books, but he definitely traveled a bit too much and seemed to get caught in the loop even though he spaced it out a bit with the self-reflection and introduction of new characters.

I think the main issue I had with Tyrion's chapters was that there were that so many interesting things happened in between the chapters, and we would only hear about it after the fact.

Depending on how far D&D get with Brienne's story this season, I'm wondering how they're going to deal with The Hound. He has that little cameo in Brienne's chapters while she's wandering the countryside, but they also need to get Arya to the ship captain. The timing may be funky.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Max posted:

I think the main issue I had with Tyrion's chapters was that there were that so many interesting things happened in between the chapters, and we would only hear about it after the fact.

Depending on how far D&D get with Brienne's story this season, I'm wondering how they're going to deal with The Hound. He has that little cameo in Brienne's chapters while she's wandering the countryside, but they also need to get Arya to the ship captain. The timing may be funky.

Just deal with him on his own. If he's coming back it'd be good TV to have his arc shown and if he's just supposed to "die" there then just leave him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Brienne and Tyrion chapters are the most improved by the AFFC/ADWD chronological remix. There's nothing wrong with them other than coming too quickly after the last one due to the geographical split.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I hope they just do Brienne visiting a new town/city every week. That way we'll get to see them in the opening credits.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

The Brienne and Tyrion chapters are the most improved by the AFFC/ADWD chronological remix. There's nothing wrong with them other than coming too quickly after the last one due to the geographical split.

Yeah, it's hard to overstate just how much the proper chronology improves them. When I first read them individually they dragged immensely in parts, and by the time I finally finished ADWD I had already forgotten a bunch of details from earlier in the book. A few weeks ago I gave them another whirl in the remixed form and it was a much, much better experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's hard to overstate just how much the proper chronology improves them. When I first read them individually they dragged immensely in parts, and by the time I finally finished ADWD I had already forgotten a bunch of details from earlier in the book. A few weeks ago I gave them another whirl in the remixed form and it was a much, much better experience.

I'll have to do that sometime soon. I did enjoy seeing what life was like for the "small folk" in the Brienne chapters, it was just that her plot was so bland. And I didn't feel like she grew much as a character during the whole ordeal.

But Tyrion, I don't know if the remix will save him for me. I groaned every time I encountered his chapters after a while.

• Locked thread