Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

skaboomizzy posted:

At one point ESPN walking cliche Chris Berman was advertising for both NutriSystem and Applebee's. It was really great to see both ads in one block, especially since the Applebee's spot was featuring meatballs stuffed with provolone cheese.

When Shrek 2 was coming out there were plans to use Shrek in healthy eating/fitness PSAs for kids until they realized that using the same mascot that was plastered on just about every piece of junk food in existence was going to send a mixed message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

When Shrek 2 was coming out there were plans to use Shrek in healthy eating/fitness PSAs for kids until they realized that using the same mascot that was plastered on just about every piece of junk food in existence was going to send a mixed message.

They sure got over mixed messages wirh the Lorax...

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rudoku posted:

They sure got over mixed messages wirh the Lorax...

That was by Illumination Entertainment, not Dreamworks.

Dreamworks is pretty decent about their cross promotions these days, pretty sure I only saw Kung Fu Panda on a box of tofu.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw an apple sauce commercial that used the phrase "We're more than just apple sauce, we're AWESOME sauce." Uggggggghhhhh.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
These new KFC ads are terrorism

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I buy Samsung products but the new commercials trying to out-smug Apple make me want to stab myself in the eye with a stylus.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ILL ON PZONES posted:

These new KFC ads are terrorism

Sounds like you're upset that you ate the bones

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Timby posted:

This seems to come up during every commercial break on every channel, and it fills me with inexplicable rage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_18O5ALUU

"Tris-KWEEEE...."

How much do you wanna bet this character will be spun into a long running series like Glade's "Glah-DAY" lady?

Vicas posted:

This month's 5 Dollar Footlong® is a bacon grease-soaked pile of lettuce and week old avocados, topped with breaded chicken, ranch, and your own salty tears

try one today!

Not likely. It'll be $6.50 cuz they charge a whole buck fitty for avocado on a footlong, the fuckers.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I'm not normally one to read too much into commercials, but the BMW commercial where the girl switches to diesel really bugs me. It's set up as she bought the car because she needs more excitement, and yet it's her boyfriend/husband who actually drives it while she sort of flinches in the passenger seat. It's like they brush against the concept of her being a modern woman but the execs didn't think people would accept the man as the passenger.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The gently caress is this Philadelphia cheese steak shuffle poo poo, gently caress you Geico

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

in_cahoots posted:

I'm not normally one to read too much into commercials, but the BMW commercial where the girl switches to diesel really bugs me. It's set up as she bought the car because she needs more excitement, and yet it's her boyfriend/husband who actually drives it while she sort of flinches in the passenger seat. It's like they brush against the concept of her being a modern woman but the execs didn't think people would accept the man as the passenger.

She's giving him the bite of the apple; she'd already eaten from the forbidden tree of diesel and now it's Adam's turn.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I can accept that if someone were installing an air conditioner, it could possibly slip and fall out to land in a car below. I can also accept that if you open your car door on a narrow street, a passing vehicle might be driving too close, and smack into your door, thus ripping it off it's hinges. Same for maybe forgetting to put the emergency brake on, when parking on a steep slope; or a truck backing into another vehicle, and the driver not giving a gently caress. But why in the hell did you decide to cut down a overhanging tree branch that stretches over your neighbor's driveway, and especially why did you do this dumb thing while his car was parked there?

Not because you are "only human". You are literally loving retarded. Only a developmentally disabled individual would do this.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Sash! posted:

Sounds like you're upset that you ate the bones

I am a Lammergeier who for some reason has a Twitter account! #IAteTheBones

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

The gently caress is this Philadelphia cheese steak shuffle poo poo, gently caress you Geico

I have never been more confused as to what exactly a commercial was trying to say than when I saw this commercial. I felt like I was about to turn into the Hulk it made me so angry.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Old Spice- their commercials just don't do it for me anymore. Their hair product commercials, where the hair crawls off the guy's head, are creepy to boot.

Dish Network- nobody wanted your substandard satellite TV service even before you had people with ear-grating Boston accents repeating "Hopper" a hundred times.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
This commercial has been driving me mad for months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMkQbwpvKzo

She says she hasn't cleaned the catbox in TWO weeks. Then they show this tiny Booda litter box. Dear lord. I try to comfort myself by reminding myself it probably isn't real and they just picked an arbitrary number or something. AND the drat thing looks like its right in front of the kitchenette counter.

But lately they've been showing it with the "two weeks" part edited out, so it makes me wonder if they got complaints.

So loving gross to even think about. Poor cat. (I hope there's only one anyway)

Bonapartisan fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 27, 2014

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bonapartisan posted:

This commercial has been driving me mad for months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMkQbwpvKzo

She says she hasn't cleaned the catbox in TWO weeks. Then they show this tiny Booda litter box. Dear lord. I try to comfort myself by reminding myself it probably isn't real and they just picked an arbitrary number or something. AND the drat thing looks like its right in front of the kitchenette counter.

But lately they've been showing it with the "two weeks" part edited out, so it makes me wonder if they got complaints.

So loving gross to even think about. Poor cat. (I hope there's only one anyway)

That cats been dead for two weeks.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

That cats been dead for two weeks.

But thanks to Febreze® Air Effects™, your friends won't know the difference!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Reminds me of that bit in Kentucky Fried Movie. Christ, did a cow poo poo in here?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mahoning posted:

I have never been more confused as to what exactly a commercial was trying to say than when I saw this commercial. I felt like I was about to turn into the Hulk it made me so angry.

I'm pretty sure it was trying to say "gently caress You."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

I'm pretty sure it was trying to say "gently caress You."

Sounds about right for Philly.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I don't know why anyone would be shocked that a person is an irresponsible pet owner. Watch any number of dog/cat expert shows helping people and you'll quickly realize that common sense stuff such as 'feed your pet, play with your pet and clean up after your pet' is beyond some people. People think since they had a pet as a child (which was probably taken care of by their parents) they know how to have one now that they're grown and look at that they don't know the first thing about being responsible for an animal.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Those shows are scripted, staged, and skewed for maximum artificial drama. Just like any other "reality" show.

"My cat is picky and only poops in a fresh box, so I have to clean/check it 5-6 times a day" turns into "My cat poops outside the box because I didn't know that litter boxes do not magically clean themselves. Thank you Mr. Cat whisperer, you saved my home, my marriage, and most importantly my relationship with my pet" :cue tears and hugs:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
This Virgin Mobile "don't be subtle about how good this deal is" commercial is exactly like the awesome Dollar Shave Club commercial but not funny.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Nerdfest X posted:

Those shows are scripted, staged, and skewed for maximum artificial drama. Just like any other "reality" show.

No poo poo but you should watch an episode and see how inept people are, you can only skew it so much when its an animal, if its acting out its for a reason and mostly its (suprise) people are dumb and dont know what they're doing. And I know people in real life who dont know poo poo about the animals they own so its not just TV making me have these opinions.

Yeah how bout them commercials.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well, that drat Cadbury Bunny commercial is back.

I know during Christmas we speculated that the Hershey Kiss "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" one was the longest-running national commercial, but this drat Cadbury onew can give it a run for it's money.

If nothing else, the Cadbury one looks more dated. Nothing like a low-resolution, 4:3 aspect ratio, commercial in the middle of my widescreen high def program!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwVhcOOR02g

I wanted to link this video from my hotel last night but my phone wasn't cooperating. Pretty bad local commercial for a Rochester, MN NBC affiliate. I saw it many times.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
"A lot of people think I'm a punk kid making pizza", says a woman in her early 30's.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Looks like TMobile and Verizon are in a race to put out the worst ad. Both have ridiculous nonsensical hip dudes and dudettes flinging their hair, leaping and frolicking in still shots in quick succession with big annoying verbiage and horribly lovely modern music.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Grin and Tonic posted:

"A lot of people think I'm a punk kid making pizza", says a woman in her early 30's.

I like how they put mediocre graffiti art right on up there with traditional painting and glass blowing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This one really annoys me for some reason (apart from playing all the goddamn time):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQxHpLC3Dc

"Seriously, what's older than DSL internet?" is just such a weak burn.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's sad that the closest thing to a mascot sonic has is two guys trying to be funny in a car. Also that people are so uninterested in teaching that there are commercials trying to recruit teachers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gaunab posted:

It's sad that the closest thing to a mascot sonic has is two guys trying to be funny in a car.

Yeah most of them are terrible but they made an Out-Run salute a couple years ago and it was great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gaunab posted:

It's sad that the closest thing to a mascot sonic has is two guys trying to be funny in a car.

They've been doing it for at least 10 years now. I never saw a Sonic commercial before moving to Kansas 10 years ago, probably before they had the national push.

Anyway, they've had two other sets of people in the car (one did have a woman/wife), and they were much worse than the main two.

Strangely enough Peter Grosz (the thinner guy) used to write for the Colbert report. He was also one of the panelists when I went to a taping Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Timett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwVhcOOR02g

I wanted to link this video from my hotel last night but my phone wasn't cooperating. Pretty bad local commercial for a Rochester, MN NBC affiliate. I saw it many times.

That is the most :effort: ad I have ever seen.

Also, that Sonic Outrun ad is cool but the car sprite having only about 3 frames of animation for turning bugs me for no good reason.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This one really annoys me for some reason (apart from playing all the goddamn time):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQxHpLC3Dc

"Seriously, what's older than DSL internet?" is just such a weak burn.

It baffles me that the bitch just rips the modem right out of the loving wall and nobody so much as bats an eye.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
The Cheesesteak Shuffle ad is one of the most baffling i've seen in years. I just can't believe that this went through the entire process from pitch to production with every decision-maker thinking "This is good and will sell more car insurance". As far as I know, a "Cheesesteak Shuffle" isn't even an established concept, so someone had to think up, write and record this bizarre ditty. My only guess is they were trying to create something viral like the "world's worst ringtone" from a while back, but that was at least mildly humorous in execution.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

KERNOD WEL posted:

The Cheesesteak Shuffle ad is one of the most baffling i've seen in years. I just can't believe that this went through the entire process from pitch to production with every decision-maker thinking "This is good and will sell more car insurance". As far as I know, a "Cheesesteak Shuffle" isn't even an established concept, so someone had to think up, write and record this bizarre ditty. My only guess is they were trying to create something viral like the "world's worst ringtone" from a while back, but that was at least mildly humorous in execution.

I was wondering if that was a locally targeted ad or not. I can't speak for all Philadelphians, but I think it's dumb as well.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I'm sure it's come up but that Wiser's Whiskey (or whatever it is) commercial with the guy in the mall who can't even hold his girlfriend's purse is the dumbest fuckin' thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The commercial with the guy giving his dad a condom is creepy as poo poo. Not just because of the subject matter but also because of the look on the son's face when he's slipping the condom into his dad's pocket.