Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

VincesUndies posted:

Xbox One could get photo-realistic rendering system

This is the link: click it if you want or don't, if you don't want to

Phil Spencer confirms Microsoft has been experimenting with real-time ray-tracing "We've done experiments with Realtime Raytracing. A ton of potential with this tech, amazing visuals"

Edited to make Sedisp happy

Seems like the tech and the One are tenuously related here. Also why on earth would anyone even bother writing an article on a twitter post about speculative tech.

Really if I can't see the beef there's no cow, especially in gaming PR bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

MJBuddy posted:

Seems like the tech and the One are tenuously related here. Also why on earth would anyone even bother writing an article on a twitter post about speculative tech.

Really if I can't see the beef there's no cow, especially in gaming PR bullshit.

To get you to click on it so the writers get site traffic. He literally never even mentions the X1. Just that they are doing internal testing. Which as has been pointed out everyone is doing.

VincesUndies posted:

Thanks. I fixed it for you.

Completely missed the point but alright.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

eyebeem posted:

PS+ is way better than Gold

Even after reading Gold vs. PS+, I can't find any reason why PS+ is any better except that it's the price of a sandwich cheaper per year, and it already has the Monthly Free Games thing on it, which will come for the Bone later this year. Not requiring a subscription to use Netflix etc is nice and all, but also totally a moot point for people living outside US/UK. It's retarded Gold is necessary to use Skype etc, but does anyone actually use Skype/Facebook/web browsing on consoles? I've used it like once for the sake of a gimmick, then never touched it again. If I hated using the Internet so much, I'd buy an Apple Pippin.

The only thing I've found particularly irritating this gen is that I have to buy all my multiplayer games on ONE console. This is one of the major reasons I bought an Xbone, because all of the PS4 exclusives I'm remotely interested in are single player, while the Bone exclusives will be multiplayer.

Otherwise I totally agree with you. I don't know why anyone would use a console as a media center; just get an HDMI cable and hook it up to a computer, or buy an Apple TV and Airplay stream to it. I was really hoping the Bone's streaming would be as nice as the Apple TV's is. (Lol, mandatory converting mkvs to avi, what a nightmare.)

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 3, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Saladman posted:

Even after reading Gold vs. PS+, I can't find any reason why PS+ is any better except that it's the price of a sandwich cheaper per year, and it already has the Monthly Free Games thing on it, which will come for the Bone later this year. Not requiring a subscription to use Netflix etc is nice and all, but also totally a moot point for people living outside US/UK. It's retarded Gold is necessary to use Skype etc, but does anyone actually use Skype/Facebook/web browsing on consoles? I've used it like once for the sake of a gimmick, then never touched it again. If I hated using the Internet so much, I'd buy an Apple Pippin.

The only thing I've found particularly irritating this gen is that I have to buy all my multiplayer games on ONE console. This is one of the major reasons I bought an Xbone, because all of the PS4 exclusives I'm remotely interested in are single player, while the Bone exclusives will be multiplayer.

Otherwise I totally agree with you. I don't know why anyone would use a console as a media center; just get an HDMI cable and hook it up to a computer, or buy an Apple TV and Airplay stream to it. I was really hoping the Bone's streaming would be as nice as the Apple TV's is. (Lol, mandatory converting mkvs to avi, what a nightmare.)

Because Games For Gold blows.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Saladman posted:

Look, be fair here, even if you personally seem unaffected by the items mentioned, PS+ is *currently* objectively better than gold. Will Gold catch up at some future point with their own free games, etc? I certainly hope so. It is a step in the right direction that they have at least committed to do it and kept it going on the 360 rather than ending it as originally planned.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Saladman posted:

My impression and my decision as well. I actually like Live's online offerings for multiplayer. I'm in process to build a PC to deal with single player games/HTPC stuff, but in a PC + console decision it made more sense for me to end up with the One. I think my regret right now is that I didn't build the PC first then get the One, but I'll probably immediately stop giving a poo poo once I get Titanfall next week.

I do think PS+ is pretty sweet though; Games with Gold is nice but it's no where near the same value proposition. Removing trumped up value (access to apps), it's GwG + what I think is a subjectively superior online environment (MM/Servers/my good friends who got Xbox) vs a good online server and a great games on demand service at a lower price. The fact that Microsoft has discovered that digital prices can be under retail prices last year was a revelation as well, and I've probably done more digital purchasing in the last 6 months than the previous 5 years because they were price competitive during sales.

E: And I use mkvtomp4 for mkvs that don't work natively. It sucks as a process but it's automated and seems to not gently caress it all up with extra compression.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 3, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Saladman posted:

It's retarded Gold is necessary to use Skype etc, but does anyone actually use Skype/Facebook/web browsing on consoles? I've used it like once for the sake of a gimmick, then never touched it again. If I hated using the Internet so much, I'd buy an Apple Pippin.

It's pretty lovely that your all in one media center requires a subscription to use when you already pay a subscription for many of the services you use through it. Which is fairly indicative that Games for Gold will continue to be Microsoft style free.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Saladman posted:

Even after reading Gold vs. PS+, I can't find any reason why PS+ is any better except that it's the price of a sandwich cheaper per year, and it already has the Monthly Free Games thing on it, which will come for the Bone later this year. Not requiring a subscription to use Netflix etc is nice and all, but also totally a moot point for people living outside US/UK. It's retarded Gold is necessary to use Skype etc, but does anyone actually use Skype/Facebook/web browsing on consoles?

The biggest issue most people have is the quality of the GwG offerings; with the exception of a single month (and the two good games in that month were also PS+ free games several months prior), pretty much every other big budget offering on Xbox 360 has been either a really old game or a mediocre one. There's a belief that this has to do with the fact that the 360's licensing system doesn't allow for time-limited licenses; the fact that PS+ free downloads expire makes publishers more receptive to offering their products, and Sony's offerings have been a lot better overall because of this (and it's absolutely had its fair share of lame offerings, too, although since they're now giving away 6 games a month if you own all three consoles there's usually at least one or two really good titles in a given month). It remains to be seen if time-limited licenses are still possible on the Xbox One (I think it was part of the original plan but may have depended on the always-online system), as this would improve their options considerably. There's also the issue of how all-encompassing the multiplayer wall is on the Xbox side, with games like TES Online requiring Gold as well as the game's paid subscription, while the PS4 version won't require PS+, just the sub.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

univbee posted:

The biggest issue most people have is the quality of the GwG offerings; with the exception of a single month (and the two good games in that month were also PS+ free games several months prior), pretty much every other big budget offering on Xbox 360 has been either a really old game or a mediocre one. There's a belief that this has to do with the fact that the 360's licensing system doesn't allow for time-limited licenses; the fact that PS+ free downloads expire makes publishers more receptive to offering their products, and Sony's offerings have been a lot better overall because of this (and it's absolutely had its fair share of lame offerings, too, although since they're now giving away 6 games a month if you own all three consoles there's usually at least one or two really good titles in a given month). It remains to be seen if time-limited licenses are still possible on the Xbox One (I think it was part of the original plan but may have depended on the always-online system), as this would improve their options considerably. There's also the issue of how all-encompassing the multiplayer wall is on the Xbox side, with games like TES Online requiring Gold as well as the game's paid subscription, while the PS4 version won't require PS+, just the sub.

I like the lack of time window. I'm still playing through GWG games I just didn't have to prioritize. It was also a good opportunity to expose myself to XBLA arcade games I'd never buy.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Saladman posted:

Not requiring a subscription to use Netflix etc is nice and all, but also totally a moot point for people living outside US/UK.

I'm pretty sure Latin America, Scandinavia, the Netherlands and at some point both Germany and France will appreciate that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MJBuddy posted:

I like the lack of time window. I'm still playing through GWG games I just didn't have to prioritize. It was also a good opportunity to expose myself to XBLA arcade games I'd never buy.

Your PS+ games dont go away unless you stop subbing to PS+. And they come back if you resub.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Saladman posted:

Not requiring a subscription to use Netflix etc is nice and all, but also totally a moot point for people living outside US/UK.

Netflix is actually one of those services that work outside US/UK, and in Finland at least, it's totally kicking the local service providers' rear end, at least when it comes to providing services people actually want to use.

Did you know that Finnish copyrights organizations, TV networks and ISPs just recently reached an agreement that will enable people to use internet-based DVRs? (Legally that is. First such service was made n 2006 and was sued out of existence, and major ISPs have provided IPTV services and internet DVR for years now, but those are a legal gray area) Except the requirements are that recordings are kept for a maximum of 2 years and that users must not be able to skip ads.

This is the solution they have now come up with, in a universe where Bittorrent has existed for almost 15 years and Netflix has been available for two.

Whoa sorry, I didn't realize I cared so much. :stare:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Your PS+ games dont go away unless you stop subbing to PS+. And they come back if you resub.

Ah I was unclear on that. Under that idea Microsoft should definitely pursue the time window system. Seems just to be better.

Can't think of any games that would fit. Peggle maybe? I'm expecting Crimson Dragon then Ryse or the like.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

Ah I was unclear on that. Under that idea Microsoft should definitely pursue the time window system. Seems just to be better.

Can't think of any games that would fit. Peggle maybe? I'm expecting Crimson Dragon then Ryse or the like.

You will get Lococycle and you will like it.

Crimson Dragon post multi-player patch is pretty fun but there is not a single reason to pay for the IAPs even a little bit. The game is so drat all over the place. I'd buy a sequel that will never exist in a heartbeat though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

MJBuddy posted:

You can just "buy" all the ps+ offerings every month and download them when you want. This also means you can grab the games for whichever consoles you don't own and then have access to them in the future if you ever get them (I have something like 8 vita games after a couple of months without owning a vita). They are only time limited in the sense you need ps+ to play them, but you never lose them even if you unsub, you just get locked out until you resub. GWGs offerings are really bad in comparison though. It's toy soldiers: Cold War right now iirc, whereas currently on ps+ you get bioshock infinite and metro last light, with tomb raider and brothers next month, then the other games that are up like borderlands 2 and remember me (these are eu, NA have payday 2 iirc and different indies next month). Nothing that's been on GWG, other than sleeping dogs, can really compare.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stux posted:

You can just "buy" all the ps+ offerings every month and download them when you want. This also means you can grab the games for whichever consoles you don't own and then have access to them in the future if you ever get them (I have something like 8 vita games after a couple of months without owning a vita). They are only time limited in the sense you need ps+ to play them, but you never lose them even if you unsub, you just get locked out until you resub. GWGs offerings are really bad in comparison though. It's toy soldiers: Cold War right now iirc, whereas currently on ps+ you get bioshock infinite and metro last light, with tomb raider and brothers next month, then the other games that are up like borderlands 2 and remember me (these are eu, NA have payday 2 iirc and different indies next month). Nothing that's been on GWG, other than sleeping dogs, can really compare.

Yeah totally agree on game quality. PS+ is a better system (as I said. It's just even better than I thought it was). GWG is Civ Revolution now though.

GWG just seems like an opportunity to hit up good small budget games I missed/wouldn't try and get to play them. It's not great but I don't hate it or anything. It could just be better. I like the pressure PS+ puts on Microsoft, regardless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The reason the games in GWG suck is probably because you own them forever (until Live goes down.) Publishers aren't giving recent, good games away completely like that.

The reason you own them forever is because the Marketplace is a crappy storefront capability-wise.

If they have fixed the second part, the quality of games could be better with the XBone. But you will definitely see it changed to be just like Plus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The reason you own them forever is because the Marketplace is a crappy storefront capability-wise.

Yep, good ol 360 never got that ability. Presumably this means the service will be stuck in this model until they abandon the 360 which bodes ill for them.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The reason the games in GWG suck is probably because you own them forever (until Live goes down.) Publishers aren't giving recent, good games away completely like that.

If they have fixed the second part, the quality of games could be better with the XBone. But you will definitely see it changed to be just like Plus.

This is an important question we don't know. There's already some indication that it's possible for some form of time limit to be implemented on the Xbox One, although how flexible this is we don't know, we just know that if you're not signed into your main console you have 24 hours of digital games being playable offline. Are other, different time limits possible on the Xbox One? If not, can that 24-hour delay be exploited by Microsoft somehow (e.g. you have to sign in every 24 hours to cross-checked your temporarily free game still has Gold assigned to it)?

The PS3 and PS4 can have custom expiration times, which is at least accurate down to the minute (maybe even down to the second or less), so if you download a PS+ game and your subscription expires November 29th 2014 at 10:59 A.M. EST, that's the exact time at which it will expire even if you never connect your PS3/4 online again (your download is cross-checked with the PSN server and the server tells your PS3 how many seconds/minutes you have before your title expires, using a time counter independent of the system time)

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

Yep, good ol 360 never got that ability. Presumably this means the service will be stuck in this model until they abandon the 360 which bodes ill for them.

Well it could just be a different system in the new Marketplace. It's not like there's any relation between the stores.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

Well it could just be a different system in the new Marketplace. It's not like there's any relation between the stores.

I'm assuming its hard to get two programs going; one for keeps and one for nearly but not quite keeps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they can/have changed it, I think more likely they cut the 360 program instead of having 2 different models going.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

I'm assuming its hard to get two programs going; one for keeps and one for nearly but not quite keeps.

Might be hard to explain it to users. But if as long as it was explained clearly and tied to a game people actually want, I think it'd go over.

Technologically no idea.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Microsoft could release a new marketplace as an app. :v:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

If they can/have changed it, I think more likely they cut the 360 program instead of having 2 different models going.

This. Considering we're not even supposed to still be getting 360 Games With Gold I think chances are extremely high they're intending to stop giving away 360 titles immediately once they start offering Xbox One titles. I could also see them doing some sort of weird hybrid solution, like the 16th of the month is still XBLA games for the 360 but the 1st's full retail titles are now instead Xbox One offerings of some kind, with new rules on title expiration if possible. It's possible they might feel the pressure of Sony offering PS+ games on 3/4+ different platforms (6 titles a month in all) and go out of their way to maintain the two 360 games plus a single Xbox One game, or some such system.

This will also depend on what sort of effect Titanfall has on number of Xbox Ones sold, because if most of their Gold subscribers are still on 360 it's a bad idea to pull back on services offered for it.

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 3, 2014

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
They should give away Windows Phone/Surface apps as well.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Wheany posted:

Netflix is actually one of those services that work outside US/UK, and in Finland at least, it's totally kicking the local service providers' rear end, at least when it comes to providing services people actually want to use.

Wow, that's a lot better than I thought. I hope it comes here soon too so I can be irritated about Xbone requiring Gold, which I probably won't get until Halo 5 comes out or GWG-One comes along. I'd love to get off the whole torrent thing, but not enough to go through some VPN nightmare. At least Spotify works.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

univbee posted:

This. Considering we're not even supposed to still be getting 360 Games With Gold I think chances are extremely high they're intending to stop giving away 360 titles immediately once they start offering Xbox One titles. I could also see them doing some sort of weird hybrid solution, like the 16th of the month is still XBLA games for the 360 but the 1st's full retail titles are now instead Xbox One offerings of some kind, with new rules on title expiration if possible. It's possible they might feel the pressure of Sony offering PS+ games on 3/4+ different platforms (6 titles a month in all) and go out of their way to maintain the two 360 games plus a single Xbox One game, or some such system.

This will also depend on what sort of effect Titanfall has on number of Xbox Ones sold, because if most of their Gold subscribers are still on 360 it's a bad idea to pull back on services offered for it.

Most of their subscribers will be on the 360 for at least another year, maybe longer, Titanfall or not. What you're saying makes sense, but what I could also imagine is that 360 "ports" (Halo 3 or whatever) come as GWG for the One. If they include Halo 3 and Gears, they both get to flaunt "backwards compatibility for limited games" and they get to not give away anything of value for yet another two+ months.

Just looked at the historical lists of GWG and PS+, and yeah PS+ is amazing. GWG has a few games I would've liked to get (Dead Rising 2 particularly). Which is doubly annoying, as I had Gold at that point, but had no idea they were giving away games for free... although with a 20 GB HDD on the 360 I don't know what I would've done anyway. Formatted a USB key, I guess.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

univbee posted:

They weren't even originally going to give Xbox One titles away.

Have they given a single Xbox One title away yet? I wouldn't be surprised if the same oversight that made it a nightmare to do on the 360 store carried over to the new console.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ularg posted:

Have they given a single Xbox One title away yet? I wouldn't be surprised if the same oversight that made it a nightmare to do on the 360 store carried over to the new console.

Not yet unless you count Killer Instinct and Xbox Fitness (which is actually pretty darn good).

I thought some of the people who work for MS on the forum confirmed that particular wonder of the 360s store front authentication architecture was changed on the Bone.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Barudak posted:

Not yet unless you count Killer Instinct and Xbox Fitness (which is actually pretty darn good).

I thought some of the people who work for MS on the forum confirmed that particular wonder of the 360s store front authentication architecture was changed on the Bone.

Pretty sure it was fixed at the same time that they fixed season passes. Would be incredibly stupid if they haven't.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Laserface posted:

Why do people who dont own an Xbone, nor intend to, read this thread? why do you post here? nothing you are providing is new information. I would like to discuss news with other people who want to discuss news, rather than circle back around to old discussions that have been done to death a million loving times for the sake of a select few who are here purely to stir the pot.

I own one and I wouldn't recommend reading this thread at all, go somewhere else to read about it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I am hearing that Xbone's Twitch streaming is meant to be 1280x720 30fps ~2.5Mbps. PS4 is said to be 960x540 30fps ~1.7Mbps.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I am hearing that Xbone's Twitch streaming is meant to be 1280x720 30fps ~2.5Mbps. PS4 is said to be 960x540 30fps ~1.7Mbps.

So outside of showing a game off to a friend, is there any reason for the layman to stream?

Mentally this just seems like livejournal for gaming. It looks like some people have cultivated a pretty solid following and try to be entertaining and that's all cool, but are like 99% of twitch streams just meaningless?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

So outside of showing a game off to a friend, is there any reason for the layman to stream?

Mentally this just seems like livejournal for gaming. It looks like some people have cultivated a pretty solid following and try to be entertaining and that's all cool, but are like 99% of twitch streams just meaningless?

Meaningless from what perspective? Showing off games to friends is incredibly meaningful and popular to a lot of people besides you, apparently.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

MJBuddy posted:

Personally I think it's a really good way to seem a new game. I used it to see BF4 on the PS4 to see how it played on a console, it's really good for watching new games to help with purchasing decisions. I imagine a ton of undecided people will be watching Titanfall streams, you get a more representative look at the game as opposed to a review where they cut out all the boring bits, menus, load times, running around with no action etc. Plus if you're lucky you can get a streamer that doesn't have a really annoying voice or constantly scream, and is actually quite informative/funny.

The One does archiving too, you can see our lord and saviors stream here http://www.twitch.tv/majornelson/profile/pastBroadcasts the quality does look good. He's so so so poo poo at the game though, so prepare to be frustrated.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

A few games have audience participation now.

Edit: I don't know if both consoles have it though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 4, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Fallom posted:

Meaningless from what perspective? Showing off games to friends is incredibly meaningful and popular to a lot of people besides you, apparently.

I'm asking if it's E/N. I'm not saying it sucks. I think it's really cool tech at this point and I think the personalities it's cultivated are incredibly interesting because watching some twitch streams you see guys who are personable and chatty while they play, attempting to make it about a good viewing experience - they're trying to put on a show. I get that; it's cool.

But sharing your experiences seems E/N. I look forward to seeing what game my friend picks up and asking him to let me basically drop in and check it out. That's real cool. Is there more to twitch than those two things? is my question. I'm not making a value proposition on those two things being enough or not.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

The One does archiving too, you can see our lord and saviors stream here http://www.twitch.tv/majornelson/profile/pastBroadcasts the quality does look good.

Does he specify that those are streamed using the Xbox One's built-in Twitch feature? If I'm not mistaken, the "no archiving" on PS4 is only active if you're streaming directly from the console; if you have an external solution you can stream at whatever quality Twitch and your connection are capable of and get your stuff archived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

But sharing your experiences seems E/N. I look forward to seeing what game my friend picks up and asking him to let me basically drop in and check it out. That's real cool. Is there more to twitch than those two things? is my question. I'm not making a value proposition on those two things being enough or not.

Its a massive revenue stream for tons of "celebrities" and the fact the Bone can archive means you could sloppily edit these videos into LPs and goddamit youtube is about to be absolutely rife in lovely LPs now that you no longer need a capture card.

• Locked thread