Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

"No fun allowed" watermark? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What aircraft is that Daimo?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The cockpit one? The Flight1 Pilatus PC-12.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

kalstrams posted:

"No fun allowed" watermark? :v:

Please tell me this is real.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Essobie posted:

Please tell me this is real.

FAQ posted:

What are the differences between the Academic and Professional versions?
The only technical differences in the software are that the Academic version has a different splash screen and a small watermark in the top-right corner of the main window. Please be aware that they have different EULAs and usage restrictions. Full details can be found on the License Comparison page.

These guys really crack me up. I guess they don't want to deal with the support issues from people who don't know what they're doing? How much better is Prepare3D than FSX?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

darknrgy posted:

These guys really crack me up. I guess they don't want to deal with the support issues from people who don't know what they're doing? How much better is Prepare3D than FSX?

I too would like to know this as I'm getting ready to plunk down the $60 on it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So the difference between the $60 Academic version and the $200 "Professional" version is removing a "NO FUN ALLOWED" watermark in the corner of the screen?! :psypop:

What does the $2300 version do? :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Lets you show your friends how much money you have. :v:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

In case you wanted a serious answer, the 'professional plus' version has combat facilities.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

darknrgy posted:

No, I am aware of the fact that they are apparently not allowed to sell to consumers wanting it for entertainment... I was asking if that watermark is real. It seems too ludicrous to be real and looks like a photoshop that someone made to make fun of their predicament.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Essobie posted:

No, I am aware of the fact that they are apparently not allowed to sell to consumers wanting it for entertainment... I was asking if that watermark is real. It seems too ludicrous to be real and looks like a photoshop that someone made to make fun of their predicament.

No, the real watermark is a piece of text saying 'Academic License' in a mid-tone grey in exactly the same font as the FSX menu bar, in the top-right of where the menu bar would-be/is.

In most cases you don't even notice it.

e: Here's someone's video where you can see how obtrusive it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB_s7FHu50k

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 1, 2014

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Which is a better purchase? P3D or XP10 (or both)?

Only knock I have against XP10 is that I'd have to purchase a USB DVD drive to install it.

Edit: Ended up buying P3D

JayKay fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 2, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hey, if anyone picked up the latest Indie Gala Bundle for the Rise of Flight stuff, they added another RoF DLC pack to it, the Furious Wings Pack.

It comes with four fighters, two mid war, two early war.

SPAD 7.C1 (150HP and 180HP engine verions)
Albatros D.III

Halberstadt D.II
Nieuport 11.C1

Go get your codes. And if you haven't bought the bundle, give it some serious consideration if you're at all interested in a WW1 flight sim. $6 is an amazing price considering on steam that stuff would cost you $100ish (without a steam sale).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hey, if anyone picked up the latest Indie Gala Bundle for the Rise of Flight stuff, they added another RoF DLC pack to it, the Furious Wings Pack.

It comes with four fighters, two mid war, two early war.

SPAD 7.C1 (150HP and 180HP engine verions)
Albatros D.III

Halberstadt D.II
Nieuport 11.C1

Go get your codes. And if you haven't bought the bundle, give it some serious consideration if you're at all interested in a WW1 flight sim. $6 is an amazing price considering on steam that stuff would cost you $100ish (without a steam sale).

and they're claiming the CD key Steam gave me for that DLC is invalid :mad:

Also, even at the current price that bundle is well worth it, the RoF stuff alone is worth $104.97 on Steam.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 4, 2014

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Kilonum posted:

Also, even at the current price that bundle is well worth it, the RoF stuff alone is worth $104.97 on Steam.

You gotta make a new account for the Steam ROF stuff. Can't merge poo poo bought from their own store and Steam for some stupid reason about databases being too hard or something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kilonum posted:

You mean Rise of Flight is claiming its invalid? If so try again later.

I think their master server is having some kind of off-and-on-again problem the last few days. Sometimes I can't log into my RoF account online meaning no multiplayer or Career mode. Though I could use Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator if I was really jonesing to go on sortie, in fact, I've heard its superior to 777's own Career system.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kilonum posted:

Same problem here. What fiends :(

EDIT: Actually, seems the drat login server is down entirely.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 4, 2014

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Holy poo poo SAM simulators are a thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGa6i-DudIQ

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SAM simulator :stare:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Did... did something happen?

That was a whole lot of switches and dials without any discernible ending

I thought flight sims were sperg central, it must take a whole new level of nerd for SAM sims

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sappo569 posted:

Did... did something happen?

That was a whole lot of switches and dials without any discernible ending

I thought flight sims were sperg central, it must take a whole new level of nerd for SAM sims

The day there is a DCS: 9K330 Tor, is the day I buy Combined Arms.

:unsmigghh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its been mentioned before, but just a reminder. There is a bit over 24 hours left to pick up Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition and two DLC packs for a meager $6.

https://www.indiegala.com/rise

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

The day there is a DCS: 9K330 Tor, is the day I buy Combined Arms.

:unsmigghh:

To keep up with the AMRAAM vs all Russian missile balance all Russian ADA will be death lasers and Patriot batteries won't be able to hit an AN-2.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Hey guys, Just Flight is having a pretty monster deal this weekend - 2 for $20 on Lionheart Creations planes. I picked up the Fairchild 24 and Piper Pacer to round out my bush plane collection, but if you don't have the Quest Kodiak, definitely pick it up.

http://www.justflight.com/bundle

If you've bought other stuff from them, you can add your reward points at checkout - I got the 24 and the Pacer for $3 after I redeemed my points.

Edit: for reference, the Fairchild 24 and Piper Pacer are $29.95 each and the Quest Kodiak goes for $24.95 normally.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's the best scenery for Western Canada/US?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
I use UTX for the US / Canada / Alaska / tropics.

ORBX (http://www.fullterrain.com) makes some incredible scenery for the pacific northwest, western Canada and Rockies and southern Alaska, but their scenery runs like poo poo on my computer, where I regularly pull 50+ fps with UTX. I decided to quit fighting with it, but it does look good.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
I recently started having a problem in DCS World A-10C, where pretty frequently when I switch to the third person camera using F2 during the first campaign mission, I'll get a 1033 blue screen error. I know that's a graphics driver error and I recently updated my drivers, but the problem persisted when I rolled my drivers back. It didn't happen before when I was just doing some of the standalone missions, so I don't really know what's happening. I have 2 GTX 670's in SLI. Anyone else encounter something similar?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheAsterite posted:

I recently started having a problem in DCS World A-10C, where pretty frequently when I switch to the third person camera using F2 during the first campaign mission, I'll get a 1033 blue screen error. I know that's a graphics driver error and I recently updated my drivers, but the problem persisted when I rolled my drivers back. It didn't happen before when I was just doing some of the standalone missions, so I don't really know what's happening. I have 2 GTX 670's in SLI. Anyone else encounter something similar?

Some of the campaign missions have a lot more units than the stand alone scenarios. You could be hitting a problem because its using more VRAM than the others or something like that. SLI is finicky often times, can you disable it and try?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

A couple of recent shots from FSX (click to embiggen):

Carenado C206G over the San Juan Islands

Fairchild 24 near Ketchikan, AK

Piper Pacer near Ketchikan, AK

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Some of the campaign missions have a lot more units than the stand alone scenarios. You could be hitting a problem because its using more VRAM than the others or something like that. SLI is finicky often times, can you disable it and try?

It only happens when I switch to anything other than the cockpit camera. It's really weird, but I turned off sli and I'm going to play some more later on tonight.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Decided to get back into flight sims after not playing any for the past year and a half to two years or so. Did the Nevada DLC for DCS World ever come out? And are any of the newer DCS modules any good? I have A-10C and BS2.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cheesetriangles posted:

Decided to get back into flight sims after not playing any for the past year and a half to two years or so. Did the Nevada DLC for DCS World ever come out? And are any of the newer DCS modules any good? I have A-10C and BS2.

On a tangentially related note, I own A-10C, FC2, BS, and the BS2 upgrade, and I installed DCS World through Steam. I'd like to pick up FC3, UH-1, and MI-8 through Steam, next time they go on sale, but ED hates its customers, and won't let me register BS2 on Steam. Is there any way to install Steam and non-Steam modules, and have everything Just Work?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
AFAIK you need to cave in and buy the standalone - preferably in a sale.
That's what I did anyway.

cheesetriangles posted:

Did the Nevada DLC for DCS World ever come out?

Still baking I beleive.

cheesetriangles posted:

And are any of the newer DCS modules any good? I have A-10C and BS2.
The P51 and UH-1H are both excellent addons in my opinion - having never actually flown either aircraft for real.
Neither will ever hold the place in my heart that the Warthog occupies though.

Jiblet fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 17, 2014

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

MrYenko posted:

On a tangentially related note, I own A-10C, FC2, BS, and the BS2 upgrade, and I installed DCS World through Steam. I'd like to pick up FC3, UH-1, and MI-8 through Steam, next time they go on sale, but ED hates its customers, and won't let me register BS2 on Steam. Is there any way to install Steam and non-Steam modules, and have everything Just Work?

You can buy the modules on steam and install them on the non steam version. I have bought modules from both. but play with the non steam version, because even with steam you still have to use EDs lovely activation system. It works the other way for everything except the BS2 upgrade, so you can buy whatever you don't have direct from ED and activate the keys on steam or vice versa.

I caved in and bought BS2 standalone on sale, even though I already have BS1 and the upgrade, just to make installation less of a hassle, as uninstalling BS1 after applying the upgrade removes DCS world from the start menu.

I can't for the life of me figure out why BS1 is still on sale, and they haven't bothered to enable owners of the upgrade to use it through steam, but it's pretty clear that it's never going to happen at this stage.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cormac posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out why BS1 is still on sale, and they haven't bothered to enable owners of the upgrade to use it through steam, but it's pretty clear that it's never going to happen at this stage.

Maybe I'm more OCD than I think, but the whole thing makes me irrationally angry.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

It pissed me off a bit too, ended up getting BS2 steam edition on steam last month for 8 quid so I wouldn't have to bother with that upgrade poo poo again.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Less than a day left for the Rise of Flight Indie Gala Bundle. The Steam Channel Battles Edition and two DLC packs for $5.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Nerds have been slamming the P3D team for their lack of interaction for the past month, so what do LM do? Shut them up completely with a new version!

I've also consolidated my post quoted in the OP to a blog format, and added a couple of new things.

Check it out here. Wordpress seems really convoluted so feedback welcome.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

DCS is having a sale and obligatory I already own all of them due to previous sales. :v:

quote:

DCS Spring Sale

Eagle Dynamics E-Shop.

Friday, 25th March 2014

From March 26th to March 31st, Eagle Dynamics will have discounts up to 60% off the following DCS products:

DCS: P-51D Mustang. $39.99 now $15.99 (60% off)

DCS: UH-1H Huey. $49.99 now $19.99 (60% off)

DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3. $49.99 now $19.99 (60% off)

DCS: Black Shark 2 Upgrade. $29.99 now $20.99(30% off)

DCS: A-10C Warthog. $39.99 now $27.99 (30% off)

DCS: Black Shark 2. $39.99 now $27.99 (30% off)

DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Pre-Purchase Beta. $49.99 now $39.99 (20% off)

DCS: Combined Arms. $29.99 now $23.99 (20% off)

A-10A: DCS Flaming Cliffs. $14.99 now $11.99 (20% off)

Su-25: DCS Flaming Cliffs. $14.99 now $11.99 (20% off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

JayKay posted:

DCS is having a sale and obligatory I already own all of them due to previous sales. :v:

Yeah same. I'm still sad that DCS Mig21 looks to be cancelled :( It was looking so great!