Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hopefully Billy comes back sooner than later. I like Billy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

nooneofconsequence posted:

Hopefully Billy comes back sooner than later. I like Billy.

Yeah either he'll be picked up by the Scarborough or he'll show up in Nassau at the helm of the ship they attacked, sailing it back all by his lonesome. :colbert:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

His forearms will save him...

exhibit A:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I loved the ending shot of that last episode, with Vane standing before the mystery man - he looked like a giant with the fire lighting him, everything else in shadow. Vane looked so small in comparison.

Sad to see that the show is only 8 episodes this season, the buildup of the early episodes has really paid off and I wonder how they are going to close off the season. What a quality show overall.

WarLocke posted:

Yeah either he'll be picked up by the Scarborough or he'll show up in Nassau at the helm of the ship they attacked, sailing it back all by his lonesome. :colbert:

I see him reaching the merchant ship and being "rescued," and half the episode being the captain of the HMS Scarborough going "Don't I know this guy from somewhere...?" :allears:

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Who exactly is this giant dude and why is Vane seeing him in randomly appear/making an effort to go out to see him?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

teknetik posted:

Who exactly is this giant dude and why is Vane seeing him in randomly appear/making an effort to go out to see him?

:iiam:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Why is Vane's chest scar/branding so god drat familiar?

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

KatWithHands posted:

They could explain it away as one sweep of his arms taking him a whole kilometer, and he just swam home, and I would not even question it.

I would actually find it pretty believable if the next episode started with him catching up to the Walrus with every stroke making him fly up out of the water like a dolphin, just because of the sheer amount of water displaced by his forearms. He just launches himself up, clearing the rail and landing on the deck.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Since this is suppose to be a kind of prequel of sorts to Treasure Island I hope they actually do give their own interpretation of it towards the end of the series.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Why is Vane's chest scar/branding so god drat familiar?

If you're like me then you're probably seeing this:

Symbol of Torment

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I'm finishing up episode 2 and while I normally don't notice this sort of thing I absolutely love how this show is shot. Also I just really like this show.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Gazaar posted:

I'm finishing up episode 2 and while I normally don't notice this sort of thing I absolutely love how this show is shot. Also I just really like this show.

Yeah, there's a lot to admire. I love the civilization on the island, and the show is very Deadwood in that regard. The intra-group politics is fairly complicated (if not nuanced), which isn't something I expected from a Michael Bay show.

Gonna spoil this, since you said you were only on Ep. 2:

Another bonus is that it's showing us things about pirates that we (read: I) have never seen before and doing it in a remarkably graceful fashion. Bringing the ship ashore to clean the hull pushed the plot forward, but it also shed some (pretty loving hilarious) insight into this version of pirate culture (in re: gently caress tent).

Downsides: The acting is kind of spotty in parts and with the exception of Flint and the two quartermasters, there aren't a whole lot of characters I like and really want to see more of. But that dialogue between Flint and Vane, with Gates and Jack Rackham acting as their counsel, was loving hilarious. If the show can keep up that kind of writing--the kind that comes out of the story instead of the other way around, like the plot-driven scene where Eleanor fucks over Vane--then the show could really be something great.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Well keep it up for the next two episodes left in the season

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I want Vane's Quartermaster to have his own show. I could watch him for an hour just trying to talk his way out of problems.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I'm gonna flip my poo poo when Stede Bonnet inevitably shows up.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Roundboy posted:

Well keep it up for the next two episodes left in the season

So confused right now about what's supposed to be the climax of the season. I thought we had a lot more episodes left before this ship sailed. (:suicide:)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the posted:

I want Vane's Quartermaster to have his own show. I could watch him for an hour just trying to talk his way out of problems.

Yeah he's great to watch. I'm also warming up to Silver now.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Thats funny you weren't too keen on Silver, he and the Quartermasters have been whats making the show for me.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Gazaar posted:

I'm gonna flip my poo poo when Stede Bonnet inevitably shows up.

"Who is this loving kiss rear end Mr. Manners idiot? :mad:" -Some fool.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I've switched my stance on Silver as well. It sounds insulting, but the less of him I see, the better I like him. Now that the focus seems to have switched to Billy and Flint, Silver is a lot more entertaining.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTvP22sKiwE

:allears:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Man, I thought she was really plain until I saw her out of character. A+ for makeup and wardrobe, there.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

I've switched my stance on Silver as well. It sounds insulting, but the less of him I see, the better I like him. Now that the focus seems to have switched to Billy and Flint, Silver is a lot more entertaining.

On a worse show Silver would be integrating into the crew right now with everyone liking/trusting him the episode after he tricked them, instead they chained him to a chair safe until he is needed like any smart pirate would do.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

On a worse show Silver would be integrating into the crew right now with everyone liking/trusting him the episode after he tricked them, instead they chained him to a chair safe until he is needed like any smart pirate would do.

Yeah, having him at the sidelines mostly as a kind of unknown factor is probably the best place for him. It's really quite a relief that they're focusing more on the captains (and their quartermasters :allears:) now, especially after they played him up so much as a/the main character during the first two episodes.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER

AFewBricksShy posted:

He's not being forced in your face as much which I like. Usually shows like this pick a character and they're just like "LOVE THIS PERSON! SEE! BE INTERESTED! LOVE THEM!! LOOOOOOOOOVE THEM!" and it rarely works because they neglect the development of the other characters or make that main character so perfect and plot-armored that they break the suspension of disbelief. Spartacus did a good job having a main character that wasn't forced down people's throats along with several side characters that were equally entertaining and interesting. The Walking Dead has basically no interesting characters. This show has a couple. They're working with a nice balance overall.

Jabbu fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 6, 2014

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Does she have/had Bell's Palsy? It kinda looks like she was talking out of the side of her mouth similar to how Deb did in Dexter

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

teknetik posted:

I understand we don't have these answers but can someone refresh me on what the last interaction we had with Vain was. I recall him getting offered something awesome by someone, maybe blond island chick?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is it Vane or Vain

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

the posted:

Is it Vane or Vain

Vane

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

...was that a Van Wilder quote she threw in at the end?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

xcore posted:

I understand we don't have these answers but can someone refresh me on what the last interaction we had with Vain was. I recall him getting offered something awesome by someone, maybe blond island chick?

Vane took over the brothel and then immediately left while Jack was running after him trying to talk him into staying. Now his crew is dead which is going to a fun reveal when he gets back. But at least he's not banned anymore!

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

What is the deal with Jack and Anne Bonny?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lovers, as they were in real life.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Why did the Barlow woman gently caress the priest?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That almost sounds like the lead in to a joke. :v:

I have no earthly clue. She wanted to I guess? I'm hoping it will be elaborated on in the next episode because it really felt out of nowhere.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

She's going to manipulate him into helping her get to Boston? Or help Flint depending on who she's going to betray.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
Sorry if this has been posted already, but I ran across an article in the Smithsonian magazine the other day titled "The Last Days of Blackbeard" and thought some in the thread might find it interesting. I definitely did, although I don't know much about the history to begin with. Lots of familiar folks get namedropped along the way.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/last-days-blackbeard-180949440/?all

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 7, 2014

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Does anyone have access to high res (1920x1080) screenshots from the opening credits? I think they would make awesome desktop backgrounds, but I can't find gently caress all on google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Those really are some awesome credits.

• Locked thread