Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Barudak posted:

Mario Kart 7 was promoted with a tire manufacturer cross over where if you bought like an $800+ dollar set of new tires they threw in a Wii and Mario Kart.

I can't fathom that anybody gave a drat then or gives a drat now.

You forget that the ad had Kevin Butler in it when he was the "mascot" of the PS3 so there was a shitstorm in a teacup about betrayal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Electromax posted:

e: While I'm reminiscing about old ads, I also remember a Sega one that was like "when you play with it, it gets hard" and had a kid's hand on a joystick in a really grossly gratuitous way. Sega also had some that sort of insulted the audience, like "if your IQ wasn't below 10 you wouldn't have bought a game boy".

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ahahahahaha this is wonderful

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Haha, jesus christ this ad is hilariously awful.

Yeah man, nice Pennzoil ice burn for the Pennzoil Death Watch thread

It's a loving Pennzoil ad, not a Nintendo one, they just plopped a render on that background and called it a day

deadwing fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 4, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Aw sick, the new Mario Kart has flying vehicles?! Glad to see Nintendo doing that cutting-edge innovation that only the WiiU GamePad can pull off.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did you mean to post that in DDRD

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was considering getting a Wii U because someone nearby is selling one that was used for a month for about $200 with New Super Mario+Luigi and Wii Party which seems alright. But now I'm regretting saying I would be interested after looking at a list of good Wii U games which boils down to:

Super Mario 3D World
Maybe a DK Platformer? I'm not going to play a DK platformer.

And then a lot of "But Mario Kart! But Bayonetta 2! Smash Bros!" Which all could still be bad

Edit: What the gently caress is Wii U Party. That's not a real game but that's what the guy told me it was.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 4, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Electromax posted:

Sega also had some that sort of insulted the audience, like "if your IQ wasn't below 10 you wouldn't have bought a game boy".

Ugh. I remember that during the '90s. Sega embarked on a marketing campaign that consisted of negative campaigning against Nintendo. They never even told you why you should buy a Sega system over a Nintendo one. All of their ads were basically, "Nintendo sucks and you suck if you like them. Sega is better! :woop:"

"Genesis does what Nintendon't"

... and now they develop games for Nintendo. Whoops!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

Attn publishers and console manufacturers: Bring back the absurdist body horror ads of the late 90s and early 00s.

Sony are way ahead of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS-hyGi7MnM

KidSamson
Feb 13, 2012

As dreadful as these are, they were originally printed in Viz, a magazine whose whole raison d'etre was unfunny rude jokes. So they were at least appropriate to the audience (Unlike most Nintendo ads).

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

KidSamson posted:

As dreadful as these are, they were originally printed in Viz, a magazine whose whole raison d'etre was unfunny rude jokes. So they were at least appropriate to the audience (Unlike most Nintendo ads).

Did the Mr. Logic strip hit too close to home for you? :smug:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Vintersorg posted:

Games? Where we're going we don't need... games.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was considering getting a Wii U because someone nearby is selling one that was used for a month for about $200 with New Super Mario+Luigi and Wii Party which seems alright. But now I'm regretting saying I would be interested after looking at a list of good Wii U games which boils down to:

Super Mario 3D World

And then a lot of "But Mario Kart! But Bayonetta 2! Smash Bros!" Which all could still be bad

Edit: What the gently caress is Wii U Party. That's not a real game but that's what the guy told me it was.

If you aren't interested in Marios/DKC/Bayo2/X/Smash/Kart/W101, don't bother buying a Wiiu.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

If you aren't interested in Marios/DKC/Bayo2/X/Smash/Kart/W101, don't bother buying a Wiiu.

Yeah man, that is literally all there is on the system and the prospects for its future ain't exactly rosy.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Having trouble telling which partnership is dumber - Pennzoil or Connect Freaking Four. I hope Nintendo didn't spend too many marketing dollars on these campaigns, because yeesh!!

Zelda and Pokemon Monopoly are also on the way, but not until September.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

Having trouble telling which partnership is dumber

There is only one correct answer to this:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

I am interested in those games, there is no guarantee those games will be good. Bayo 1 is one of my favorites, as is the Smash series. I mean I bought a Wii for smash.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

univbee posted:

There is only one correct answer to this:

But kids actually like and get enjoyment out of cereal, whereas Connect Four is a torture inflicted upon kids.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Yeah saving breakfast is all well and good Link but you will be going without a few meals if the Wii U doesn't start generating profit. :colbert:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Polo-Rican posted:

Having trouble telling which partnership is dumber - Pennzoil or Connect Freaking Four. I hope Nintendo didn't spend too many marketing dollars on these campaigns, because yeesh!!

Zelda and Pokemon Monopoly are also on the way, but not until September.

I've also seen characters on Campbells cans and they're also on, K'nex blocks? Do people even buy K'nex?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Louisgod posted:

I've also seen characters on Campbells cans and they're also on, K'nex blocks? Do people even buy K'nex?

What characters could you make with K'nex? It's pretty much limited to Porygon, Fighting Wireframe, Andross from Star Fox 1, and Professor Kawashima.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've got a Mario knex at my office desk actually. I have him hanging onto a thumb tack in the cubicle wall.

You guys realize stuff like Mario and Luigi connect 4 and Nintendo character kinex blocks, some company is probably paying Nintendo a licensing fee and not the other way around, right?

http://imgur.com/gNN6lea

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 4, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

greatn posted:

I've got a Mario knex at my office desk actually. I have him hanging onto a thumb tack in the cubicle wall.

You guys realize stuff like Mario and Luigi connect 4 and Nintendo character kinex blocks, some company is probably paying Nintendo a licensing fee and not the other way around, right?
Shut up I'm sure Shigeru Miyamoto personally flew to Connect 4 HQ and gave Dr. Koneichtfor, inventor of Connect 4, a blowjob.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Polo-Rican posted:

But kids actually like and get enjoyment out of cereal, whereas Connect Four is a torture inflicted upon kids.

It was always super-popular when I was a kid. Maybe you were just bad at it and hated the humiliation of always losing?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cliff Racer posted:

It was always super-popular when I was a kid. Maybe you were just bad at it and hated the humiliation of always losing?

Putting videogame stuff on board games/Connect4-y games always seemed like a cruel joke played at the expense of children.

"Weeeellll, it's not actually videogames, but look it has videogame pictures on it!"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

Oh no poo poo? Ya think?

Point is that they're not exactly putting their brand on products that have a whole lot of recognition and should expand a bit since Nintendo is horrible at marketing. I bet they can't do anything with Lego now that they're with K'nex, or maybe Lego has some sort of deal that if you sign it they can make a video game too? Who knows.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
There's also this coming out in a few days. It makes sense kinda!

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/ride-ons/super-mario-kart-ride-on-vehicle-70051-30884326

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Reggie was the president of Mega Bloks so he hates Lego, obviously.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I am interested in those games, there is no guarantee those games will be good. Bayo 1 is one of my favorites, as is the Smash series. I mean I bought a Wii for smash.

If you're doubting that a new smash bros will not be at least "good" then I don't know what to tell you. Luckily you can still buy it on the 3DS at the very least.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Aw sick, the new Mario Kart has flying vehicles?! Glad to see Nintendo doing that cutting-edge innovation that only the WiiU GamePad can pull off.

My one hope for Mario Kart 8 is that it's as good as Sonic Racing Transformed. They should hire those guys.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

If you're doubting that a new smash bros will not be at least "good" then I don't know what to tell you. Luckily you can still buy it on the 3DS at the very least.

Brawl wasn't exactly good. It had non-functional online multiplayer, an incredibly tedious method of unlocking characters, and a mechanic which made the thing feel like mario party which is not a good thing. It also by default got stuck with the hot garbage that is the WiiMote held sideways so we had to have 4 gamecube controllers just to play which led us to ponder "why exactly aren't we still just playing Melee?".

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Barudak posted:

Brawl wasn't exactly good. It had non-functional online multiplayer, an incredibly tedious method of unlocking characters, and a mechanic which made the thing feel like mario party which is not a good thing. It also by default got stuck with the hot garbage that is the WiiMote held sideways so we had to have 4 gamecube controllers just to play which led us to ponder "why exactly aren't we still just playing Melee?".

None of that stopped the game from selling shitloads. For a Smash Bros game to be "bad" they'd have to phenomenally gently caress up. Also not everyone cared about the "mario party" aspect, not everyone is playing in EVO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

None of that stopped the game from selling shitloads. For a Smash Bros game to be "bad" they'd have to phenomenally gently caress up. Also not everyone cared about the "mario party" aspect, not everyone is playing in EVO.
There's a difference between playing in EVO and not liking that you can randomly lose control over your character for no reason whatsoever. That's lovely game design from any perspective. It'd be like if in Mario Kart your car randomly stalled and imploded.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Endorph posted:

There's a difference between playing in EVO and not liking that you can randomly lose control over your character for no reason whatsoever. That's lovely game design from any perspective. It'd be like if in Mario Kart your car randomly stalled and imploded.

*Mario Kart Wii

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

We played Brawl instead of Melee because Dedede and Wario and ROB were funny.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Louisgod posted:

Oh no poo poo? Ya think?

Point is that they're not exactly putting their brand on products that have a whole lot of recognition and should expand a bit since Nintendo is horrible at marketing. I bet they can't do anything with Lego now that they're with K'nex, or maybe Lego has some sort of deal that if you sign it they can make a video game too? Who knows.

Well they said they were going to expand their licensing efforts, but yeah... their previous licensing choices felt very odd to me.

There has to be some sort of balance between rubber stamping every request like what is done for Angry Birds, and Mairo on a soup can.

Super Mario 3D World

"Wii Party U" is the name of the game. It's pretty much exactly like the Wii Version, but with a couple dozen or so 3 vs 1 games with the Game Pad which are unique.

And if you don't like those games you listed, don't get a Wii U.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

You said good, not a high seller. I have no doubt in my mind a new Smash Brothers will sell well but as to whether or not its a good game that convinces people on the fence to buy remains to be seen and the previous entry bodes ill.

I wasn't playing in EVO nor were any of my dozen friends swapping controllers playing Brawl. Its fine to lose because your skills aren't there and its ok to lose because the item drops didn't favor you; its not ok to lose because a random slot went off and said "you can no longer control your character."

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

When I was a kid I liked buying spaghetti os with cartoon characters I knew on them, licensing Mario on to soup cans makes plenty of sense to me.

Edit: No meaningful number of people will avoid buying the new Smash because of tripping in Brawl. They'll avoid buying it because it's a WiiU game.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 4, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Surlaw posted:

When I was a kid I liked buying spaghetti os with cartoon characters I knew on them, licensing Mario on to soup cans makes plenty of sense to me.

Mario noodles were superior to non-Mario noodles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Aside from tripping Brawl was awesome and better than Melee and had Dedede :colbert:

• Locked thread