Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barudak posted:

Its a massive revenue stream for tons of "celebrities" and the fact the Bone can archive means you could sloppily edit these videos into LPs and goddamit youtube is about to be absolutely rife in lovely LPs now that you no longer need a capture card.

He said for the layman though. Those "celebrities" have their own, better streaming equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

sba posted:

I own one and I wouldn't recommend reading this thread at all, go somewhere else to read about it.

did you know that xbone games run at a lower resolution than their PS4 counterparts? would you like to spend 3 pages talking about it for the 247th time?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

He said for the layman though. Those "celebrities" have their own, better streaming equipment.

And this will always be the case because the game devs are able to impose restrictions on how streaming is done with the built-in apps. No such restrictions when you're streaming from an external device.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

univbee posted:

Does he specify that those are streamed using the Xbox One's built-in Twitch feature? If I'm not mistaken, the "no archiving" on PS4 is only active if you're streaming directly from the console; if you have an external solution you can stream at whatever quality Twitch and your connection are capable of and get your stuff archived.

Yeah it's a preview of next weeks Xbox twitch app update, you can also see the pause screen graphic at certain points. I've got no idea if everyone will get the option to allow people to choose their own quality, it might just be because he's previewing the app.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Yeah, I had no idea why people would want to watch other people play games. And then one day I was bored and flipped through some game clips of games I didnt have and thought it was more interesting and informative to watch people just playing a game to get a feel for them rather than watch a promo trailer. I dont watch it for hours like some people, but I find it entertaining and helpful to watch a few 3 or 4 minute clips to understand a game better before buying.

Watched a few clips of Thief a few days ago and it was pretty much wall-to-wall lols, at least I am 100% sure I will never buy that game!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Game streams are also common as something you have on in the background or corner of the screen while you do something else, not necessarily as something you actively watch constantly. This will depend a lot on the stream; my brother watches a guy who spends most of his time trying to get the 120-star World Record in Super Mario 64. Some days it's just a constant stream of straight attempts at the game (if he fucks up or falls too far behind he just resets and starts over entirely, and has software which keeps track of his per-star time and how far ahead/behind of his last successful attempt he is), and some days he just spends hours practising a specific challenge, like a really hard jump. My brother will pay attention for the serious attempts but tune out for the more boring stars, and just has it as background when he's practising a tricky part.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That is for the layman; people who have celebrity aspirations and none of the energy to output a completed product thats actually nice to look at or listen to.

And I guess me so I can stream Metal Gear games to friends as we enjoy that lovely, lovely movie franchise.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I'd probably watch the occasional game stream if 99% of streamers weren't completely insufferable. It's a great concept and I'm glad both consoles have it built in but people are lovely commentators.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Keep in mind these are also your friends' streams, not just random internet people. I don't care if SA isn't into watching my buddy dick around in Spelunky, but I care. It doesn't matter to either of us if his channel doesn't become a revenue stream or whatever.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Fallom posted:

Keep in mind these are also your friends' streams, not just random internet people. I don't care if SA isn't into watching my buddy dick around in Spelunky, but I care. It doesn't matter to either of us if his channel doesn't become a revenue stream or whatever.

The friend's streams thing is great. Especially as a virtual hang out. I can be playing something, streaming their game to my Computer and chatting and potentially vice versa and we can point out cool crap.

Now if only my friends had internet connections that could handle streaming Twitch.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Oh yay, Twitch.

There weren't enough streams of people sitting up on a hill and sniping the entire time, so hopefully Twitch support for the Xbox will fix that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Oh yay, Twitch.

There weren't enough streams of people sitting up on a hill and sniping the entire time, so hopefully Twitch support for the Xbox will fix that.

If your goal isn't to find twitch streaming snipers, join their game, then mercilessly murder them over and over again while you keep their stream snapped in the corner you just aren't living.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Barudak posted:

If your goal isn't to find twitch streaming snipers, join their game, then mercilessly murder them over and over again while you keep their stream snapped in the corner you just aren't living.

Now I want to do this.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

Now I want to do this.

I think its the secret reason why Twitch exists. Find the most annoying, screeching 12 year old sniper playing BF and knife that bitch over and over and over

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There are some pretty brilliant recordings from streams where that exact thing happens. One guy playing Battlefield (I think 4, but may have been 3) who kept complaining about the trolls that were stalking him and kept disabling stuff to make it harder to be followed from server to server, each time saying something to the effect of "sorry about the stream guys, it's these trolls' fault" before finally giving up and quitting entirely.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
With the twitch integration imminent you could potentially snap the twitch app and watch things from your buddies POV as well as your own. I was always checking my friends screen when we'd play halo split screen co-op online, it helps get a better picture of where people are. It could also be kind of awesome for a helicopter pilot and the gunner in BF4, they wouldn't have to describe what to shoot at, you could just show them. No idea how this would play out with the twitch delay and factoring in lag though. Might work better for slow moving games.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Crafty posted:

With the twitch integration imminent you could potentially snap the twitch app and watch things from your buddies POV as well as your own. I was always checking my friends screen when we'd play halo split screen co-op online, it helps get a better picture of where people are. It could also be kind of awesome for a helicopter pilot and the gunner in BF4, they wouldn't have to describe what to shoot at, you could just show them. No idea how this would play out with the twitch delay and factoring in lag though. Might work better for slow moving games.

I can't see that worked in anything outside of turn based strategy games, since the stream in question will probably be 30+ seconds behind.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Delusibeta posted:

I can't see that worked in anything outside of turn based strategy games, since the stream in question will probably be 30+ seconds behind.

Yeah pointless if that's the delay time. Could still be handy to have it snapped if you use twitch to join some snipers game and you want to find his hill to hug him.

Official gameplay trailer for Titanfall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsf25G5IArA

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Currently stream delays are in the 30-45 second range; it was a huge problem with AGDQ whenever a game dev would call because they wouldn't have the slightest clue where the streamer had gotten to, although it did result in some hilarity via delayed reactions. Someone found some settings that you can tweak to reduce the delay to about 15 seconds; ultimately Twitch got really bogged down by all the PS4's that started streaming and have been scrambling to improve things since then.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

univbee posted:

Currently stream delays are in the 30-45 second range; it was a huge problem with AGDQ whenever a game dev would call because they wouldn't have the slightest clue where the streamer had gotten to, although it did result in some hilarity via delayed reactions. Someone found some settings that you can tweak to reduce the delay to about 15 seconds; ultimately Twitch got really bogged down by all the PS4's that started streaming and have been scrambling to improve things since then.

Yeah, which is a large part of the reason why I'm skeptical over the claims that the Xbone version of Twitch will allow achieving, since the PS4 launch beat the stuffing out of Twitch and I'm not convinced the Xbone Twitch launch won't completely knock the site over.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Delusibeta posted:

Yeah, which is a large part of the reason why I'm skeptical over the claims that the Xbone version of Twitch will allow achieving, since the PS4 launch beat the stuffing out of Twitch and I'm not convinced the Xbone Twitch launch won't completely knock the site over.

Surely with all the extra viewers comes all that extra lovely advertising money. "Too many customers!" is a terrible, terrible excuse for anything ever not working correctly, so maybe they've bought a load more servers.

Heres the Major showing the video broadcasting http://www.twitch.tv/majornelson/b/508244747

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

Surely with all the extra viewers comes all that extra lovely advertising money. "Too many customers!" is a terrible, terrible excuse for anything ever not working correctly, so maybe they've bought a load more servers.

Pretty much every MMO and online-only game crash horribly due to the bulk of people playing at launch, and that's without transferring several megabits per second of audio and video per person. If even 1% of Xbox One users use the Twitch features, that's 100 GIGAbits of new data per second that have to be redistributed by network. If everything is archived and they can get 3 terabyte hard drives for $100, that means it costs them $100 of storage for every four minutes people are streaming from the console. That is a ludicrous amount of data we don't really have any good systems in place to deal with yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Look at this awesome service we made, hope nobody uses it.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

univbee posted:

Pretty much every MMO and online-only game crash horribly due to the bulk of people playing at launch, and that's without transferring several megabits per second of audio and video per person. If even 1% of Xbox One users use the Twitch features, that's 100 GIGAbits of new data per second that have to be redistributed by network. If everything is archived and they can get 3 terabyte hard drives for $100, that means it costs them $100 of storage for every four minutes people are streaming from the console. That is a ludicrous amount of data we don't really have any good systems in place to deal with yet.

On top of that, no array I've ever heard of can write 3TB in four minutes, especially if it's using $100 drives. Realistically though, I don't think anywhere close to 1% of XBone users are going to be using the service, at least not simultaneously.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Crafty posted:

The problem is that they basically haven't added any servers. Twitch always has been on the verge of collapsing into a crumpled heap, really struggled with the PS4 launch and haven't really recovered from that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Crafty posted:

Official gameplay trailer for Titanfall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsf25G5IArA

That's a pretty good trailer.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

univbee posted:

Where does the 100GB number come from? Is that after compression? What is the upstream required for one user?

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Crafty posted:

Heres the Major showing the video broadcasting http://www.twitch.tv/majornelson/b/508244747
I know they had to beef up their chat servers because of Twitch Plays Pokemon. It almost brought down their chat service, right during the time when Xbox One was trying to do final testing of the Twitch app.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FuSchnick posted:

Where does the 100GB number come from? Is that after compression? What is the upstream required for one user?

1% of Xbox Ones, or 40 000 units, each at 2.5 Megabits per second. This is compressed; uncompressed 720p is way above consumer-level anything (I think it would be something like 60 megabytes per second for a single recording).

univbee fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 4, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

FuSchnick posted:

The 720p test stream was at a 2.5Mbps bitrate. 570MB for the first 30m chunk, h264 and AAC. Note that he said Gigabit, not Gigabyte.

That's the output to the user, which is from the source feed so has minimal modifications. Let's low-ball and use the previous sales figure of 3.2m. 1% of those would be 32,000 streamers. That's 80000Mbps at the given bitrate, or ~78Gbps in his terminology. It's entirely possible he was being generous with 4m sales, but Microsoft would have mentioned that. If that were the case it'd be nearly 98Gbps and close enough for the sake of an internet argument. The upstream required by one user would depend on a variety of circumstances and the streaming implementation. They're using HLS over at twitch, so use that as a basis for backend scalability.

FuSchnick posted:

I know they had to beef up their chat servers because of Twitch Plays Pokemon. It almost brought down their chat service, right during the time when Xbox One was trying to do final testing of the Twitch app.
Twitch's infrastructure has always been a joke.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Twitch's infrastructure has always been a joke.

If its a joke its the one a 6 year old has told so often that you begin to go a little insane when you think their going to mention it again.

Twitch servers suck is a statement like breathing is important.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
If you have a PC or Xbox code for the Project Spark beta you can download it and try it now. I gave it a go but personally I don't think I'd ever really want to invest time in making anything, but still it's pretty interesting.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Crafty posted:

If you have a PC or Xbox code for the Project Spark beta you can download it and try it now. I gave it a go but personally I don't think I'd ever really want to invest time in making anything, but still it's pretty interesting.

Usually with those types of games I'm purely a consumer. No drive to create content.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Crafty posted:

I played around with creating a Tower Defense game on the PC Beta, was pretty fun to learn and play around with it. I was hoping the games would be more like the WC3/SC2 custom maps, but most things I've played so far have been average at best. Most things are "conceptual ideas" at the moment rather than full fledged games. Lack of Muliplayer sucks as well (although that's coming eventually). Also the rate that you get spark points to unlock things is retardedly slow, worse than Forza 5 on release.

Theres's a beta preview video here to give you an idea of what people are making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ig2-lbPtXc

MJBuddy posted:

Usually with those types of games I'm purely a consumer. No drive to create content.

You get 30 minutes of "spark time" a day where you can play levels with assets that you do not own. Decent enough for the short arcade games, and most people create games with the default assets anyway since the others take so long to unlock.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 5, 2014

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Crafty posted:

Do I need a separate code for xbox? I've been in the PC beta for a while.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Crafty posted:

It does seem interesting to poke around in, but the microtransaction model turned me away pretty quick. When I was messing around with it on PC it seemed every third asset or so was locked behind a paywall. Want to use a desert landscape? $5. Want to have more than 2 types of cactus in that landscape? another $5. I feel it would be tonnes better if they went with asset packs instead of charging for everything piecemeal.

You also have a limited amount of time to play other people's games if they use content you haven't purchased, which iirc is 30 minutes before you have to pay to keep playing.

The whole thing just felt like a soulless cash grab to me, rather than something that's supposed to 'spark' creativity.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Konjuro posted:

It does seem interesting to poke around in, but the microtransaction model turned me away pretty quick. When I was messing around with it on PC it seemed every third asset or so was locked behind a paywall. Want to use a desert landscape? $5. Want to have more than 2 types of cactus in that landscape? another $5. I feel it would be tonnes better if they went with asset packs instead of charging for everything piecemeal.

You also have a limited amount of time to play other people's games if they use content you haven't purchased, which iirc is 30 minutes before you have to pay to keep playing.

The whole thing just felt like a soulless cash grab to me, rather than something that's supposed to 'spark' creativity.

Not wholly soulless, at some point you will be able to publish your games and charge for them.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Konjuro posted:

I feel it would be tonnes better if they went with asset packs instead of charging for everything piecemeal.

I haven't bought any of the asset packs yet, but iirc there are theme packs (Desert, Haunted, Druid, etc.) Which contain all the relevant assets (props, sounds, terrain, effects, brains etc.) or you can buy pieces of them individually.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Wheezle posted:

Do I need a separate code for xbox? I've been in the PC beta for a while.

You can try it on the website. I'm pretty certain the PC one works for Xbox too.

The patch notes for the new update are up : http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/system/system-update-operating-system

Quite a lot of changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

hanyolo posted:

I haven't bought any of the asset packs yet, but iirc there are theme packs (Desert, Haunted, Druid, etc.) Which contain all the relevant assets (props, sounds, terrain, effects, brains etc.) or you can buy pieces of them individually.

Oh, is Project Spark Free To Play? I didn't realize it was that kind of game. How much would it cost to buy all of the theme packs that are currently available?

• Locked thread